• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Korigama

I would say things are sounding more like the PS1 golden days.
Much too optimistic, I'd say. Improved over the JRPG situation with the previous gen, but comparing it to the PS1 days would be getting carried away (especially when most of the games announced are far from ready and we've yet to see the quality of the final products).

That said, this does look promising.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm curious why people keep saying this. The only difference is they didn't show PS4 combat.
No NPCs, an awful camera angle, a monster that glided there that basically did nothing. If that's not early, I don't know what it is. Late 2016 looks possible of everything goes smoothly. 2017 at least for it to get translated.

Wow, looks great. Both version look good. The funny thing is that because of the two versions we still don't know if the NX is a handheld or a console.

Walpurgis

Banned
Anyone have any idea what Level-5 is up to? I heard they were building a big new franchise and thought they were making DQXI alongside that. Are they even making 2 RPGs?

Does anyone know anything about the team Square is collaborating with on the PS4 version? I've never heard of them. Are they just grunt workers or do they get an input in development?

All in all, the platform announcement was perfect and actually made EVERYONE happy. After the last few mainline Dragon Quest announcements, this is a miracle!

It looks glorious on 3DS:

CK_YI5kWoAE0wW4.png:large

And the PS4 version looks amazing, exactly how I imagined a next gen DQVIII would look.

BadWolf

Anyone have any idea what Level-5 is up to? I heard they were building a big new franchise and thought they were making DQXI alongside that. Are they even making 2 RPGs?

Does anyone know anything about the team Square is collaborating with on the PS4 version? I've never heard of them. Are they just grunt workers or do they get an input in development?

Level 5 is at the very least working on a big PS4 project, it was supposed to be revealed at E3 but guess plans changed. May appear at TGS.

The team working on the console DQXI is the same as the one that worked on DQX.

MLH

So much to take in. No trailer though, just off-screen gameplay?
They both look amazing, I'm particularly intrigued by the 2D/3D of the 3DS version; I have a huge soft spot for sprites. Will buy both when they come west, the series deserves the support.

Haha , no way the PS4 version will beat the 3DS version unless the 3DS version have stock problems , still that week will be very interesting ; shops owners will need to hire more to handle the buyers!

Why do I get the feeling that, even though the game is coming to PS4 and 3DS, we're still going to have console wars over which version is better and which one will sell more? Yikes.

Either way, both systems will no doubt get a limited edition bundle. Relative to install base, it'll sell a metric shit tonne on both, and Square Enix/Horii will be super happy.

Wouldn't that be 10?

He said there were 5 Dragon Quest games coming to Playstation with another coming but its further down the road. DQH, DQH2, DQB, DQX and DQXI make up those 5 meaning the one that is further down the road is something else entirely. If what he said about the remake is true, then its probably that.

ash_ag

It looks glorious on 3DS:

CK_YI5kWoAE0wW4.png:large

And the PS4 version looks amazing, exactly how I imagined a next gen DQVIII would look.

Really impressed by how they handle the transition of a SNES-era World Map into a more modern open area.

It's not completely clear to me if the PS4 and 3DS games are going to feature the same story (and potentially system), but the idea of offering the same game in three distinct graphical styles is beyond intriguing.

BadWolf

The PS4 version being exclusive to the system (and not being PS4/PS3) is huge for the console, should move a lot of systems in Japan.

(yeah DQXI is coming to NX as well but we still don't know which version is coming to it and what NX is)

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh, so you can't only play one or the other if you wish to? I'd rather play the 2D version... >_>

It shows 3D on the top screen and 2D on the bottom, both played at the same time. The difference is if you play with the circle pad, the battles are in 3D. If you play with the D-pad, the battles are in 2D. The overworld you play just depends on which screen you want to look at.

I'll probably mainly use the bottom screen, looking at the top for cutscenes and new vistas.

Already announcing NX support? Makes me wonder how far into development it is for them to be so bold to announce it. They steered clear from Nintendo home consoles for a while, this is interesting.

HIR0

I think the NX version will be localized.
Nintendo would want their launch lineup to be as strong as possible and avoid large software lineups so it kinda makes sense to localize it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo would want their launch lineup to be as strong as possible and avoid large software lineups so it kinda makes sense to localize it.

Yeah, I can see them doing what it takes to get it over here if SE won't do it.

crinale

FYI, Chinese localization of FF type-0 was done by Sony but they let SE apply the script to Xbox version too. It's not like if Sony helps to localize PS4 version the text never leaves Sony platform.
However looking at SE's trends they seem to do by themselves nowdays (IMO this shall be proven by DQ7 & 8 coming over).

Dineren

Banned
Wow, I completely forgot about this announcement. Both versions look great to me, I'll definitely pick up whichever versions are localized. This may even finally drive me to pick up a Japanese 3DS if they decide not to bring it over here.

disco

Similar sentiment was held during the Wii U's launch period and we thought DQX would appear to fill up the West's first/second year...

Bahhhh, I'm so late to this news!

Is this the first official NX title announced?

Does this basically confirm NX is a 2016 thing (which was already the strong rumor)?

Are the 3DS and next-gen versions the same game, or different?

This is incredible? I can't wait!

Top Bottom