• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Kanann

First 10 hours are great so far, better than 8 and 9 in everyway.
Fight and travel seem slower than 10 but not tedius.

<3

Watched some of the streams. I still think the 3DS version retains the DQ charm better...something about the PS4 version still looks really off to me.

A bit disappointed with the music so far. DQV church theme coming back feels weird because that song is SO DQV for me.

But otherwise I am REALLY enjoying watching the streams and the game looks so much fun it makes me sad I'm not playing! At some point though I will have to force myself to stop watching. Love DQ <3

MoonFrog

Do people have thoughts on the scenario so far? I'm guessing people are mostly still in the introduction so far? So probably way too early to have much of an idea...

Really hoping this one has strong vignettes and a strong central story conceit tying them together.

Pachinko

Interested to see what the double dippers conclude is the superior experience - PS4 or 3DS.

Can't wait to dig in next week.

I suspect it may end being a generational thing. The real oldschool fans will prefer the 16 bit mode in the 3DS version , people who were weaned on the 3DS / DS remakes/ports might prefer the full 3DS release and , just going out on a limb based on my own preference - those that played DQVIII before any previous entry may prefer to play the full fledged HD PS4 version of the game.

I"m mostly curious where the switch version will end up. it has enough power to run the PS4 version at 720p I think, probably with a few visual setbacks (world detail would be lower , frame rate probably a bit worse, draw distance lower that sort of thing). But, will it have the option to play in "classic" mode to feel in line with the 3DS version ?

Either way, I can wait until it's available in english next year.

KtSlime

Do people have thoughts on the scenario so far? I'm guessing people are mostly still in the introduction so far? So probably way too early to have much of an idea...

Really hoping this one has strong vignettes and a strong central story conceit tying them together.

I can say what I think of the introduction, I like it a lot . My ranking for introductions. 5>4>11>2>3>6>10>1>8>9>7.

Linkura

dis-gun-be-good.gif

Went down stairs and it was already in my mailbox. Looking forward to trying it out, although from what I've seen the music is a bit of a bummer. It was better in builders ...

ranmafan

I suspect it may end being a generational thing. The real oldschool fans will prefer the 16 bit mode in the 3DS version , people who were weaned on the 3DS / DS remakes/ports might prefer the full 3DS release and , just going out on a limb based on my own preference - those that played DQVIII before any previous entry may prefer to play the full fledged HD PS4 version of the game.

I"m mostly curious where the switch version will end up. it has enough power to run the PS4 version at 720p I think, probably with a few visual setbacks (world detail would be lower , frame rate probably a bit worse, draw distance lower that sort of thing). But, will it have the option to play in "classic" mode to feel in line with the 3DS version ?

Either way, I can wait until it's available in english next year.

You probably will be right about it being a generational thing for most, but I think there will be many people who will go back and forth. For example, I've been playing the series since the beginning and I'm honestly more excited about the PS4 version, with the 2d version of the 3ds game a close second due to my nostalgia for the series. Honestly not even excited at all about the 3ds's 3D version at all but I know I'll check it out too eventually. Talking with older fans of the game in Japan too I found a lot more interested in the PS4 version ironically. But who knows yet how it will go with everyone. I actually got one reaction from another gamer of shock when I mentioned I bought the double pack, he couldn't believe I wouldn't just chose a version and play only that one.

But I'm really glad they went out of their way and made the game the way they did, having the choices and all available. Although it would've been nice if that 2d version could've been made available on the PS4 as well. Still I agree it's going to be interesting to see what the switch version ends up being. I just hope they finally fix the switch supply issues here in japan by the time they end up releasing that version.

I'm struggling a bit with the camera for the PS4 version to the point where I think I may be better off doing the 3DS version. Though I'll probably get used to it eventually

budpikmin

The effort put into making three versions of this game is absolutely astounding. To have the same game in both retro 16bit and lush next gen blows my mind

Soar

Speaking as someone that's outside the fandom, the PS4 version looks amazing. Wife is the one who played and completed the DQ series in her childhood so will ask her which version looks better. That JPN commercial focusing on nostalgia really connected with her.

ranmafan

Speaking as someone that's outside the fandom, the PS4 version looks amazing. Wife is the one who played and completed the DQ series in her childhood so will ask her which version looks better. That JPN commercial focusing on nostalgia really connected with her.

That really was a fantastic commercial. One of my faves this year. Really showcased how important the series is to people in Japan in general.

Biske

Why is ordering through play asia so hard?

Why is my bank treating me like some kind of international criminal?

Globalism has failed, don't worry tinfoil hat republicans.

Catman

Banned
Finally some activity! Order from amazon.jp now says "shipping today" It'd be awesome if I get it before my bday on Thursday ^_^

Sakura

Estimated delivery date is the 31st...
what's the point of living in Japan if it takes so long to arrive (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)

Darn, loved being able to see the gear in IX
It's not like in DQIX where every gear is visible, but I've seen special costumes in some of the streams of the PS4 version, kinda like how it works in DQVIII.

...I should stop watching so many streams. Can't...stop.

Sakura

Yodobashi does same day (ships prior to release date) and you get like 10% back on everything you buy. The prices are a little higher, but the points add up.
Do they deliver to convenience stores? I have to work all day today and tomorrow so I figured I'd send it to Lawson because I won't be home. I didn't think it wouldn't arrive till monday though.

Porcile

Why is ordering through play asia so hard?

Why is my bank treating me like some kind of international criminal?

Globalism has failed, don't worry tinfoil hat republicans.

I had that problem recently. You need to phone up your bank and get them to unblock the transaction.

Raw64life

Watched a little bit of the streams but I don't want to spoil myself too much.

Both versions look great, but I don't regret getting the 3DS version. When I get the western PS4 version next year it'll be like getting an HD remake of a game I only played a year ago.

Estimated delivery date is the 31st...
what's the point of living in Japan if it takes so long to arrive (´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;`)

Damn. Mine is August 1-August 2 and I live in New York. Although I'd be surprised if I actually got it by then.

Yooo was not expecting that.

Early spoilers.

Was not expecting the sudden time travel and getting to meet your gramps one last time.

That was super neat. I'm really enjoying the start of this story.

Edit: oh
so everyone is dead, that's fine i guess. =(

Biske

I had that problem recently. You need to phone up your bank and get them to unblock the transaction.

Yeah, I did that. I suppose its better to err on the side of not letting fellow international criminals rob you, but it would be great to have a global economy that wasn't so easy to screw with.

1upsuper

For what it's worth, the PS2 controller was uncomfortable as hell. Fun for 5 mins and then more of something you keep on the shelf as a decoration. Zero reasons to use it over a standard more comfortable controller imo.

That's what I heard. But I happen to collect all sorts of DQ junk, so. :p

ZeroD

Man the wait feels eternal right now, watched a stream for 5 but turned it off. Made the wait worse, if it was Kuroneko I know I'd already have it by now. Hurry up Sagawa!

ranmafan

Man the wait feels eternal right now, watched a stream for 5 but turned it off. Made the wait worse, if it was Kuroneko I know I'd already have it by now. Hurry up Sagawa!

Yeah today even they are quite late for me, which is a bit odd for them in my area. It's been out for delivery since 7:30. Oh well I can wait a bit longer. They weren't this late before, but it is a Saturday so maybe that's why. Who knows.

aitakute

Amazon is shipping today but I won't be at home until night. Suffering. I hope they would just throw it into my mailbox

hongcha

I cancelled my PS4 preorder from Amazon JP a few weeks ago because the shipping cost was to high (2100 yen). I was going to preorder it last night because the shipping was back to normal cost (1100 yen or so), but I was busy and decided to do it today. Well, today, they no longer will ship the PS4 version internationally. I assume this is because the localized version was announced today? So I said fuck it and bought the 3DS version instead (they'll still ship this one, maybe it won't be localized?).

Weird way for the 3DS version to get a sale (I wasn't planning on buying it), but there ya go.

Ōkami

I still got 3 hours to download maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

I had to refrain myself from using the internet today as to not eat the bandwith

I cancelled my PS4 preorder from Amazon JP a few weeks ago because the shipping cost was to high (2100 yen). I was going to preorder it last night because the shipping was back to normal cost (1100 yen or so), but I was busy and decided to do it today. Well, today, they no longer will ship the PS4 version internationally. I assume this is because the localized version was announced today? So I said fuck it and bought the 3DS version instead (they'll still ship this one, maybe it won't be localized?).

Weird way for the 3DS version to get a sale (I wasn't planning on buying it), but there ya go.

I don't think that's it. They're still willing to send out their one with the stupid overpriced bundle. Maybe just a supply/demand thing?

Aeana

I think actually playing the 3DS 3D version is the most satisfying for me right now. The battles are decently fast with the battle speed set to fast (PS4 doesn't have a battle speed setting!), and there's still some flashiness. Got to admit that the nostalgia factor with 2D mode is super strong, though. The battle sequences remind me so much of DQ3 SNES.

Ōkami

I think actually playing the 3DS 3D version is the most satisfying for me right now. The battles are decently fast with the battle speed set to fast (PS4 doesn't have a battle speed setting!), and there's still some flashiness. Got to admit that the nostalgia factor with 2D mode is super strong, though. The battle sequences remind me so much of DQ3 SNES.
How does the game perform compared to VIII?

I figure one of the reasons they went for the chibi style rather than the well proportioned one was due to performance.

The 2D version was the one I want to play the most, but its not like I own anyone with a 3DS, let alone a japanese one, as much as I love VIII it always felt really slow to me compared to the 2D and pseudo 2D games.

Hopefully they add animated sprites for the monsters at some point.

&#332;kami;244819110 said:
How does the game perform compared to VIII?

I figure one of the reasons they went for the chibi style rather than the well proportioned one was due to performance.

The 2D version was the one I want to play the most, but its not like I own anyone with a 3DS, let alone a japanese one, as much as I love VIII it always felt really slow to me compared to the 2D and pseudo 2D games.

Hopefully they add animated sprites for the monsters at some point.

Performance seems great so far. My initial impressions after playing for four-ish hours is that it runs and generally looks better than VII or VIII did on the system. It's just flashy enough, and the characters are surprisingly emotive. They do some really good work with the faces.

The cutscene direction is also top notch.

jb1234

I think actually playing the 3DS 3D version is the most satisfying for me right now. The battles are decently fast with the battle speed set to fast (PS4 doesn't have a battle speed setting!),

Noooooooooooo. While watching the stream, the battles felt kinda slow and I was hoping for a speed setting. :(

Top Bottom