• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

I don't know any Japanese. What is the easiest way to learn? I want to be able to read.

There is no even remotely easy way to learn. English speakers learning Japanese are signing up for one of the tougher languages, and on top of speech, there's several alphabets to learn (and then a fuckload of Kanji).

If you're serious about it, take a college class or similar. I don't think any casual attempt at home is likely to go far.

Aeana

Oh man, I didn't see that. Sooooo cool.

Here's an example

J9H9jPL.jpg

Berordn

Does the PS4 version have something similar to those retro dungeons or is that a 3DS feature to compliment the graphic style?

JimPanzer

There is no even remotely easy way to learn. English speakers learning Japanese are signing up for one of the tougher languages, and on top of speech, there's several alphabets to learn (and then a fuckload of Kanji).

If you're serious about it, take a college class or similar. I don't think any casual attempt at home is likely to go far.

I've been studying Japanese for a bit over 2 years on my own, I passed N2 and can play DQ games without any problem. If you are serious about it, you can absolutely do it at home for yourself.

Wereroku

Does the PS4 version have something similar to those retro dungeons or is that a 3DS feature to compliment the graphic style?

I don't think so. This Gematsu article is the only thing I can find on the ps4 exclusives. A lot of them are exploration based. Also PS4 basically has a DQ Pachislot machine you can play.

Aeana

I'm pretty bummed about restricted play. It's a great, great concept and yet the individual options are pretty dumb. Where's the one that reduces the amount of exp/gold I earn, or shuts it off entirely? Where's the one where only my hero is allowed to participate in battle? Where's the one where I can't learn anything from the skill panel? These are the kinds of restrictions that people have placed upon themselves in DQ games for decades, and it would've been nice to have a way to facilitate them more easily.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This was front and center in electronics stores today. I want it so badly, but I don't have a TV or 3DS anymore ;_;

ZeroD

I've never been to one of the Dragon Quest concerts but I know they happen often, and I can say from experience video game concerts here are very very good and worth seeing. Went to the Fire Emblem anniversary concert, the Tokyo Mirage Sessions concert, a live stage performance from the Sakura Taisen cast, and the very first Zelda 25th anniversary concert and they were all amazing experiences. I would check ticket sites, or like Lawson ticket magazines for information. I always get emails from them about Dragon Quest Events coming up, and there tend to be many concerts. Same for other game concerts.

As for the live event like thing I mentioned before, sadly that was a one time thing done last summer over the course of two months as part of the 30th anniversary. And like I said before, it was absolutely incredible! Easily one of the my favorite live events (not just gaming but any live event) Ive ever been to. Its up there with the other concerts and the Sakura Taisen live show I went to in 2002, and it easily surpasses them all. The production that went into that tour was unbelievable. It was basically a live stage performance unlike any show I had ever seen. Theres some great clips of it on youtube of the rehearsals, but sadly they never released it on blu ray. Which is a shame cause its a great show well worth seeing again and again. I just hope they decide to do another show like that one day. Seeing the Dragon Quest world performed in live action the way they did it was an experience Ill never forget.

Thanks for the info! I guess we just have to keep our ears to ground, I wish there was an OP on Neogaf for it haha.

The live show sounded amazing, I was too busy with work to go. Biggest regret ever!

Kensuke

Damn, the PSN version is showing up for me as 9698 yen. Thought it was 89XX. Does the prefecture you select matter?

Just bought this on PSN. It will be perfect with all the free time I will have with my unemployment starting next week... :(
I hope things get better for you. Just as things can become bad at the drop of a dime, persistence can get you right back up and potentially in an even better position before the bad stuff happened. I've gone through process myself. Best of luck.

Aeana

6 minutes!

I think you don't see my previous question Aeana but aren't they avaible via Street Pass ? I am not sure but I seem to remember something like that from a DQXI stream.
Yes, it's related to StreetPass. But I think you can do them without it. Don't know for sure yet.

Interested to hear PS4 impressions eventually.

Shame about the crap music quality doe. Is the reason they don't change composers because of the developers having close ties with him or the fans not wanting that?

DQ music is good but it's not THAT good to make such sacrifice worth it IMO. Especially with no VA the music plays even bigger role.

Sugiyama is part of the series's DNA. He's irreplaceable.

Is anyone if you guys streaming? Would love to watch the first few hours of the PS4 version.

Raw64life

Was very tempted to get the slime controller when I ran across it on Amazon.jp but at $100, when I'm not even getting the PS4 version, is too much.

Is anyone if you guys streaming? Would love to watch the first few hours of the PS4 version.

I mean he's in his mid-80's. I'm hoping they're at least starting to think of a replacement.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can't wait to play this when it gets released in the west with voice acting 😋

The war crime apologist is replaceable. It will have to happen eventually anyway, and I'm sure some younger talent could breath some new life into the music.

I mean, of course, they'll replace him when he dies, duh. I just think that he should continue composing for the series as long as he's alive. His music is just too iconic for it right now.

And I know that he's a disgusting piece of human garbage, but that doesn't make me think less of his music.

It has begun! I'm streaming and playing like I did with Persona 5. Quote to see the stream.

Thanks! Watching right now.

I mean, of course, they'll replace him when he dies, duh. I just think that he should continue composing for the series as long as he's alive. His music is just too iconic for it right now.
I agree. It's a shitty situation but I always feel it's worth it when I hear that opening music again, even if it's done poorly.

kollapse

Neo Member
Couldn't stand the wait - ordered the 3DS version, as I'm betting on the PS4 version being localized. Really, really looking forward to this.

It's too bad there's no furigana in the 2D 3DS version, but I will likely mostly play in 3D anyway.

The quality of this series is always mindblowing; I'm not sure there's any more game series with as much care given to it.

cube001

Just got the game on PS4 and I don't see an incentive to buy it on 3DS as the claasic look doesn't intrigue me, any other reason to get the 3DS version? Aside from the street pass features as I won't be able to use them anyways.

Also I tried the ふっかつのじゅもん on the OP but it didn't work for some reason.

Edit: Any idea what's the "はずかしい呪い" under restricted gameplay (しばりプレイ)?

Just got the game on PS4 and I don't see an incentive to buy it on 3DS as the claasic look doesn't intrigue me, any other reason to get the 3DS version? Aside from the street pass feature as I won't be able to use them anyways.

Also I tried the ふっかつのじゅもん on the OP but it didn't work for some reason.
Portability before Switch version comes out.

Top Bottom