• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Aeana

Just got the game on PS4 and I don't see an incentive to buy it on 3DS as the claasic look doesn't intrigue me, any other reason to get the 3DS version? Aside from the street pass features as I won't be able to use them anyways.

Also I tried the ふっかつのじゅもん on the OP but it didn't work for some reason.

Edit: Any idea what's the "はずかしい呪い" under restricted gameplay (しばりプレイ)?

Sorry about that, I updated the OP with the full password. It got cut off when I pasted.

The shy curse makes it so you can't talk to NPCs and you sometimes waste your turn in battle.

cube001

Sorry about that, I updated the OP with the full password. It got cut off when I pasted.

The shy curse makes it so you can't talk to NPCs and you sometimes waste your turn in battle.

Thank you.

Does anyone know if there are any ps4 pro features?

vilmer_

My copy should be arriving early next week! Enjoy folks :)

In the meantime I'll be poking in on streams here and there.

john tv

The 2D/3D stuff on 3DS is really fun at first, but I'm starting to find it a little distracting as I'm constantly switching back and forth rather than just focusing on one or the other. Game is super polished tho, and looks really nice on 3DS!

Aeana

The 2D/3D stuff on 3DS is really fun at first, but I'm starting to find it a little distracting as I'm constantly switching back and forth rather than just focusing on one or the other. Game is super polished tho, and looks really nice on 3DS!

Well, the dual mode doesn't last for long.

JimPanzer

yea, feeling the same. I've decided to go with the 3D mode, nostalgia mode doesn't do much for me and I rather enjoy the more flashed out cutscenes.

definitely one of the best looking 3DS titles. they've done a lot with little when it comes to the expressions of the faces.

Ōkami

Alright, I got the PS4, it'll take me over 60 hours to download the game, so I guess I'll see you guys then.

I really like the controller, feels really nice.

Is it safe to stack things on the system? I put it under my PS3, got nowhere else to put it.

On a technical level, I definitely get why they'd want to sort of stick you with both for the opening hours just to show off what cool shit they did.

I'm glad that it eventually shifts to whichever one you choose, though. Strikes a good balance.

john tv

I've been avoiding news on this game so I didn't know that was a thing, heh. Any particular reason to go with one over the other?

Skulldead

No spoil, just saw a boss fight, the game don't look like a cakewalk so far, i'm really happy with that aspect. The game look gorgious

Spoiler question :

What are the Blue trance mode ? they active at random ?

edit : these dying ennemies animations.... holy shit they nailed that !

JimPanzer

I've been avoiding news on this game so I didn't know that was a thing, heh. Any particular reason to go with one over the other?

It's easier to spot some treasures in the 2D mode. They already hint at this in the beginning. 2D mode has random battles, in 3D mode you can run from monsters and engage at will.
Think there's more to it. Basically they want you to visit areas in both modes in order to get everything.

Prophane33

During 2D you can see chests around corners better while in dungeons, as well as some secret areas on the map that in 3D mode (like clearings in forests) you'd just have to wander into otherwise.

Pepboy

In DQ7 3DS, the ability to see enemies took away from the game for me. Because it became too easy to grind metal slimes and in dungeons they became bothersome to avoid. Some of the threat also disappears since you can usually run away or avoid when low on MP or HP.

I think the 2D version might be faster to beat as well with the lack of animations. But if you were going to play both, perhaps you have more patience the first time through.

Is there a good place to check for translations of the main menus and such?

Quick google search didn't pull up anything but it's still super early. My copy doesn't arrive till next week so by that time I'm sure menu translations will be up, otherwise I'd do it. If some GAFers post large screencaps of the main menus (and I assume you want battle menu too), then I'd be more than happy to pull those into photoshop and drop english translations in there for ya; I'm sure others here in this thread would be as well.

JimPanzer

Is there a good place to check for translations of the main menus and such?

It's the same as in any other DQ game, except for some new stuff like the skill panel.
I assume you are a fan of DQ and have played some. Don't see the reason why you would play this in Japanese otherwise.

the main menu goes like this (3DS version)

Speak - Spell
Item - Record (like plot, monsters defeated etc)
Equip - Search/Invesitgate
Stats - Tactics

It's the same as in any other DQ game, except for some new stuff like the skill panel.
I assume you are a fan of DQ and have played some. Don't see the reason why you would play this in Japanese otherwise.

the main menu goes like this

Speak - Spell
Item - Record (like plot, monsters defeated etc)
Equip - Search/Invesitgate
Stats - Tactics

Yeah, I was mostly trying to see if there was any big additions I needed to look at here. I've played through the first little dungeon and boss fight so far.

And yeah, big DQ fan. I wasn't going to play it in Japanese but the whim struck me, and since you can buy digital now, I went for it.

JimPanzer

Yeah, I was mostly trying to see if there was any big additions I needed to look at here. I've played through the first little dungeon and boss fight so far.

And yeah, big DQ fan. I wasn't going to play it in Japanese but the whim struck me, and since you can buy digital now, I went for it.

The only new thing I've encountered so far (just arrived at the first big city) is the skill panel, which is pretty self explanatory in how it works. Might take some time till someone posts all the skill descriptions though.

If you want to spend the first three points you get, you can choose between flame sword attack (upper left) and guard (upper right).

From Yoko Taro:
6eq92.jpg

timmy

Mine is coming in the mail on Monday. I think I'll be doing 2D mode. I'm gonna be in Japan for two weeks in August. Does this have any good streetpass functionality?

Kensuke

In the menu I see for example どうぐぶくろ. What does the ぶくろ part mean? In the process of translating the menu for myself.

Ōkami

I underestimated my internet, its just going to take 15 hours.

Still won't be ready until 2am tomorrow but at least I won't wait for days.

Gloam

Played for a little on the PS4. Past the prologue bit into the village. I get DQ6 vibes from this bit. All the cliffs and horizons.

This game is a looker. Very nice attention to detail across the board. Monster and NPC models are high quality and animate really well.

The production values are very high. The thin outlining on the characters does clash a little with some of the realistically detailed stonework and walls, but generally, the game blends characters with environments nicely. The water shaders are really nice, as is the shiny polished wood in churches.

Dragon Quest games give a very deliberate feeling, like everything is there for a reason and is thought through to the end.

You can press O to get a surprise attack on enemies which feels satisfying.
The dog
is a cool party member at the beginning.

The battles feel a lot like DQ10 except you can't push enemies. I've actually switched to fixed battles as the movement felt a little redundant to me. The music isn't all that bad either. Some nice melodies early on.

So far so positive, this is the kind of feeling that only comes around once in a while.

Shouta

So impressions of the game so far:

Awesome! The graphics are amazing and the environments are fantastic. The expressions on the characters are really emotive and just great to look at and the animation in general is solid. I really like that they carved out a few sequences to take advantage of it as well.

Combat is snappy and as classic as always. I do enjoy the DQX trappings as well. Free Camera still seems really weird to me though.

Story so far is pretty par for the course but escalates quickly as expected based on the premise of the game. I'm really looking forward to doing more.

I'm picking up my stream now for those that want to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/reiahl

Angel_DvA

Awesome! The graphics are amazing and the environments are fantastic. The expressions on the characters are really emotive and just great to look at and the animation in general is solid. I really like that they carved out a few sequences to take advantage of it as well.

Combat is snappy and as classic as always. I do enjoy the DQX trappings as well. Free Camera still seems really weird to me though.

Story so far is pretty par for the course but escalates quickly as expected based on the premise of the game. I'm really looking forward to doing more.

Nice stream and very informative too, can't wait for the NA/EU version...

B00TE

Thanks a bunch for the streams (this one and the one earlier).

The announcement for the localization made my morning. Eager to see more impressions, I may end up importing this in the next month or so. Always need more Dragon Quest.

Watched for like 5 min at work. Can't wait for 2018!

ghibli99

Thanks for streaming... just watched a little bit; I think I'm good until we get this in the west. :)

Top Bottom