• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) |OT| Cor Blimey!

Adamator

The bestiary and the equipment screen are 3D enabled, but that's it

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. I really enjoy the 3D. Guess I better get use to no 3D and I play begin to play Switch games on the go.

Man I have such an awful backlog on 3DS. Starting to worry I may never get to it all. I've been so excited for 7 and 8, I'm still working on 7. My goal right now is to finish it before Breath of the Wild. Don't know when I will actually get to 8.

Not to mention I still have all of FE: Fates to get to. Sigh.

Linkura

It has arrived! Popped it in right away. I can see why people are bitching about the blurriness of the font. What's even worse to me though is how it appears during battle sequences. Terrible. Graphics and sound quality are gut-punchingly inferior to the original. Still, it's DQ8, a game and series I love, with a lot of QOL improvements. Can't complain too much.

It has arrived! Popped it in right away. I can see why people are bitching about the blurriness of the font. What's even worse to me though is how it appears during battle sequences. Terrible. Graphics and sound quality are gut-punchingly inferior to the original. Still, it's DQ8, a game and series I love, with a lot of QOL improvements. Can't complain too much.

I'm hoping the text is something that might get patched. I do not understand how the game launched without any mention of this during testing.

Kadin

The OP states that the free downloads are weekly but I'm seeing other places saying they're daily. Anyone have a link to official info about this?

Being familiar with the emulated PC visuals, and seeing some of the press screenshots for this version, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it looks in person (at least compared to my worst fears). There's rough textures and geometry, but it's pretty solid on the whole. Similar to Borderlands 2 on the Vita: by way of direct comparison it's a big deviation from the original, but in isolation and given the hardware it isn't too bad.

TWILT

Banned
Picked up my copy. I never finished the PS2 version, but I really enjoyed what I played of it. Looking forward to digging into this when I can!

NolbertoS

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad. I really enjoy the 3D. Guess I better get use to no 3D and I play begin to play Switch games on the go.

Man I have such an awful backlog on 3DS. Starting to worry I may never get to it all. I've been so excited for 7 and 8, I'm still working on 7. My goal right now is to finish it before Breath of the Wild. Don't know when I will actually get to 8.

Not to mention I still have all of FE: Fates to get to. Sigh.

I atill have a backlog from rhe GC generation :(. My DS backlog is just as bad as my 3DS ;_;

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
how are the swirly screen load times when you go into battle or open alchemy? the microloads on ps2 drove me batty.

itschris

how are the swirly screen load times when you go into battle or open alchemy? the microloads on ps2 drove me batty.

I counted about 4 seconds from when I touched an enemy to when the battle started. I haven't unlocked alchemy yet.

Kadin

The load times for me so far (only a couple hours in) before and after battles are about 2-3 seconds of black screen. Nothing that I have an issue with whatsoever. I do have the eShop version if it matters.

ameleco

Just got it for 15 bucks at bestbuy via 10 reward certificate and visa checkout online and gcu. Anyways, I'll ask the question I always ask at the start of any RPG: what are the missables if any? And what's the planned DLC for this? Is it as lame as dq7 where you can't even save it all?

TheChaos

Gross, no. VIII's a cute departure and good fun, but VII epitomizes what Dragon Quest is and what makes it a great series.

Needless backtracking and obtuse mechanics? No thanks. VIII was the necessary evolution of the series.

Did they ever change the
Dhoulmagus
fight? I remember it being a pain in the ass in the PS2 original.

There is not a single Dragon Quest with mechanics I'd label as "obtuse". The series is about as mainstream as you can get.

You wanna see Obtuse, play SaGa.

TheChaos

There is not a single Dragon Quest with mechanics I'd label as "obtuse". The series is about as mainstream as you can get.

You wanna see Obtuse, play SaGa.

I'm sorry, but shit like "talk to everyone in the town to proceed" as a mechanic in a 2016 RPG is unacceptable. Then there's stuff like the awful shard collecting, spending half the game with only three party members, waiting 20+ hours to get to the job system, spendng 150 battles to master a job, etc.

That's hardly obtuse. And I wouldn't even say it's that bad since there are like what? 10 npcs in a town max? And they're all not overly verbose anyway.

And also it's a 2012 remake of a 2000 game.

Making mountains out of molehills

Anoxida

Thin Air was never acquired at 11 SP. Are you thinking of Defending Champion?

I must've gotten things twisted. I can swear I always went 11 fisti first. Did I do that for Defending champion? huh..

Always went sword with Hero, Axe with yangus, bow with angelo and whip with jessica. Gonna change things up on all fronts. Any suggestions? Thinking of going spear for Hero.

TheChaos

That's hardly obtuse. And I wouldn't even say it's that bad since there are like what? 10 npcs in a town max? And they're all not overly verbose anyway.

Look, I'm not going to argue because I can't make you change your mind. But there's a reason VIII and IX are the most popular games outside Japan compared to the others.

But there's a reason VIII and IX are the most popular games outside Japan compared to the others.

Well yeah, that would be the big effort in advertisement that was made with them.

I prefer 8 too but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that 8 and 9's popularity is purely because of their quality.

Look, I'm not going to argue because I can't make you change your mind. But there's a reason VIII and IX are the most popular games outside Japan compared to the others.

Poor taste? Final Fantasy VII's not exactly a great game either, but you'd think it was the second coming in the US.

Some hints were pretty obtuse in DQ1/2. The flute in DQ1, even if a NPC hinted about it you pretty much had to mash examine on tiles. The fire sigil in DQ2 even if the NPC hinted at the general area you had to examine a specific tile that you had no idea.

Anoxida

Well yeah, that would be the big effort in advertisement that was made with them.

I prefer 8 too but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that 8 and 9's popularity is purely because of their quality.

Wait what? I agree that 9's success had a lot to do with it's PR campaign but 8? 8 sold well because of word of mouth. A jrpg that well reviewed has always been very rare outside of FF games. It had great word of mouth. 7 no matter what advertising would never sell well. I'd be very suprised if DQ8 3ds doesn't outsell DQ7 3ds by a very large margin. And again it will do so with great reviews and word of mouth.

Some hints were pretty obtuse in DQ1/2. The flute in DQ1, even if a NPC hinted about it you pretty much had to mash examine on tiles. The fire sigil in DQ2 even if the NPC hinted at the general area you had to examine a specific tile that you had no idea.

They tell you the exact location of the flute, so I wouldn't call that obtuse.

The Sun Sigil though. Yeah... that was some bull. Though we are talking about a 1987 game here

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I 100% this game on PS2 and these days I have no time to play that sort of thing but I am so tempted to get it because it's one of the GOAT.

So I've never played this. I do like turn based RPGs and Final Fantasy.

The thing that kept from from DQ games is I don't like to have to fight 8 or 9 enemies at a time. Is that a thing in this game? Should I give it a shot?

Bitanator

They tell you the exact location of the flute, so I wouldn't call that obtuse.

The Sun Sigil though. Yeah... that was some bull. Though we are talking about a 1987 game here

The GBC version fixed that part of the game too I think?

You're going to talk to every NPC anyway so what difference does it make

Unless you're soulless.

Right, best part of the game you miss out on if you don't actively talk to all NPC's, I understand where people might not like it, but damn it ends up being the most charming DQ game because of all those interactions with past/future and party members

Anoxida

So I've never played this. I do like turn based RPGs and Final Fantasy.

The thing that kept from from DQ games is I don't like to have to fight 8 or 9 enemies at a time. Is that a thing in this game? Should I give it a shot?

This is a must have. You very rarely fight that many and you'll have plenty of AoE options to deal with it. Just get a boomerang early it attacks all enemies at once. There's also a speed up option when fighting which makes fights very quick.

Wait what? I agree that 9's success had a lot to do with it's PR campaign but 8? 8 sold well because of word of mouth. A jrpg that well reviewed has always been very rare outside of FF games. It had great word of mouth. 7 no matter what advertising would never sell well. I'd be very suprised if DQ8 3ds doesn't outsell DQ7 3ds by a very large margin. And again it will do so with great reviews and word of mouth.
VIII also sold well because it was packaged with the FF XII demo.

Anyways, loving game so far. But I can't get Munchie to run up this broom. I didn't have this problem in the PS2 version. I just keep falling off. Am I missing something obvious?

Anoxida

VIII also sold well because it was packaged with the FF XII demo.

Anyways, loving game so far. But I can't get Munchie to run up this broom. I didn't have this problem in the PS2 version. I just keep falling off. Am I missing something obvious?

Do we know this for sure? I think we overestimate how many were willing to pay for a full priced game for a demo. Oh well.

King Trode's voice acting.. I'm not sure if it's so over the top that it's good or if it's actually one of the GOAT performances. Either way that dude has me hooked on every spoken line.

Bitanator

Do we know this for sure? I think we overestimate how many were willing to pay for a full priced game for a demo. Oh well.

King Trode's voice acting.. I'm not sure if it's so over the top that it's good or if it's actually one of the GOAT performances. Either way that dude has me hooked on every spoken line.

I really hoped he would be an optional playable character, I love him, one of my favorite characters in any jrpg

Hobbun

I'm sorry, but shit like "talk to everyone in the town to proceed" as a mechanic in a 2016 RPG is unacceptable. Then there's stuff like the awful shard collecting, spending half the game with only three party members, waiting 20+ hours to get to the job system, spendng 150 battles to master a job, etc.

I have to wonder at times why some people even play RPGs.

I'm not trying to single you out and tell you what to enjoy, but statements like that just puzzle the hell out of me. To me, talking to EVERYONE is just about mandatory and something you should do anyways in RPGs. To experience and enjoy the full extent of the game.

It's like someone not checking every nightstand, wardrobe or dresser in every (unlocked) house or not checking every barrel in town.

It just seems like it to me that people want to do less and less while playing, they play just to get through the game. And again, sorry, not trying to target you, I had to just respond to that one comment. But it's something I've noticed in other posts from others, as well.

Something I would consider obtuse is having to 'not' open the right treasure chests to get the Zodiac Spear in FF XII. And that game is only 10 (almost 11) years old.

Top Bottom