• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes pre-order is up on Steam! Releasing December 3rd!

PC gamers be hard to please

how hard is it really to port to PC, why is KT so bad at it
Quick port after the PS4 version. Unlocking resolution and frame rate likely means more QA and bug testing that SE can't afford and are cheapening out for PC.

Still, this is one of the best port that KT will release on PC (from the sound of it) and unless it is a disaster at launch, I expect PC folks to buy it atleast. They better do if they want the second part on Steam.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Eh, I don't mind the straight port at 1080p60fps, as long as it runs well. My monitor can't go higher anyway.

Mifec

Eh, I don't mind the straight port at 1080p60fps, as long as it runs well. My monitor can't go higher anyway.

See the problem is that other people monitors go over or even if they don't maybe some people want to use DSR so while it doesn't negatively impact you it's still not a good thing.

Speaking of bad things, 6pm unlock time for Europe instead of right now, sucks.

They haven't been able to fix any of the other KT games, don't hold your breath.
Hopefully Dragon Quest being such a well known franchise will lead to more people attempting to fix it, although I obviously don't know whether it's possible or not.

But yeah, as someone who uses a 1440P 144hz monitor and a 4K tv it's a bit of a bummer although I can always play it on the TV at 1080P.

Zafir

Quick port after the PS4 version. Unlocking resolution and frame rate likely means more QA and bug testing that SE can't afford and are cheapening out for PC.

Still, this is one of the best port that KT will release on PC (from the sound of it) and unless it is a disaster at launch, I expect PC folks to buy it atleast. They better do if they want the second part on Steam.

I doubt SE had much involvement in the port honestly.

The port looks the same standard as the Toukiden Kiwami one, which was also pretty much a straight port of the PS4 version. I didn't actually hear anything was broken with that Kiwami port(All the complaints were related to 30FPS lock/1080p lock/bad keyboard controls), so hopefully this'll be the same or better(since its 60FPS).

The lack of 1440p options on these games are enough to put me off purchasing it any time soon though. Already own it on PS4, so literally the only reason I'd buy a PC version is if the port was somehow better.

ZoddGutts

PC gamers be hard to please

how hard is it really to port to PC, why is KT so bad at it

Funny how a small studio like Idea Factory/CompileHeart does a better much of porting their games to Steam. KT port of their games just feels so half assed in comparison.

Akara

Banned
Funny how a small studio like Idea Factory/CompileHeart does a better much of porting their games to Steam. KT port of their games just feels so half assed in comparison.

That is weird, I don't know, are IF games easier to program? I'd say maybe but there are genuine amazing PC ports that are much more bigger and complicated and KT just fails with every port. Cross your fingers though.

Tizoc

I've found that KOEI Tecmo games run fine on my lappy with hardly any major performance issues. Worst is graphical quality being underwhelming. I do hope that the positive feedback from this port will encourage more people to buy it during teh Steam sale long as it gets discounted for the same as the pre-order.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
See the problem is that other people monitors go over or even if they don't maybe some people want to use DSR so while it doesn't negatively impact you it's still not a good thing.

Speaking of bad things, 6pm unlock time for Europe instead of right now, sucks.

Oh, I get it, sorry if I came off as dismissive. My standards for tech are just not high enough to care much, and my rig is a bottleneck anyway.

What I meant is that if 1080p60fps is the only technical problem with the game, then I'll be fine with buying it. Basically I want it to run at least as smoothly as it does on the PS4. If it runs worse, I'll be hesitant. If it's a Dark Souls-type clusterfuck of a port, then obviously no.

Vex_

Banned
Just as long as it is at least as good as the ps4 version... I'm good.

The last nine thousand KT games released on PC were missing gfx effects and character models from the ps4 version. Essentially, they were ps3 ports which made me transform how mad I was.

So we got 1080p60, all we gotta do is hope "dx11" means it ain't missing shit.

Tizoc

Modders will probably unlock the resolution cap anyway. I'm just happy it's the PS4 version.

Yup, I got the game on PS4 weeks ago so I'm not in a hurry to get it on Steam, but to support it I'd do a giveaway :p
I read on a GAF thread that mentioned that the engine used by Omega Force is compatible for PCs so resolution unlocks can be done

Tizoc

And how many of them were on par with the ps4 counterparts?

Yea... I don't trust them. I will believe it when I see impressions from gaf.

Well they didn't release 9000 games this year on Steam, I never said anything about their graphical quality or coerced you about it :V

The games run fine for me but their graphical quality and presentation leaves much to be desired.

Vex_

Banned
Well they didn't release 9000 games this year on Steam, I never said anything about their graphical quality or coerced you about it :V

The games run fine for me but their graphical quality and presentation leaves much to be desired.

Well true, but I was obviously being sarcastic. No one releases 9000 games a year anyway lol!

And yea, they run aiight, but man I don't dig the graphics. How in the world is it so hard to port from x86???? What's the excuse now?

$$$$?

Tizoc

Well true, but I was obviously being sarcastic. No one releases 9000 ga!es a year anyway lol!

And yea, they run aiight, but man I don't dig the graphics. How in the world is it so hard to port from x86???? What's the excuse now?

$$$$?

KOEI Tecmo needs to stop treating Steam like 2nd class citizens for one thing :/

Look at Tales of Zesty, Bamco went so far as to demo the game and despite it being released with a 30 FPS lock, it generated 50,000+ sales within its release months of its released and come the Winter Seal, with it getting a discount, it's possible to reach 100K by February.
A good PC port can goa long way, don't dismiss it and put all focus on Consoles.

KOEI Tecmo needs to stop treating Steam like 2nd class citizens for one thing :/

Look at Tales of Zesty, Bamco went so far as to demo the game and despite it being released with a 30 FPS lock, it generated 50,000+ sales within its release months of its released and come the Winter Seal, with it getting a discount, it's possible to reach 100K by February.
A good PC port can goa long way, don't dismiss it and put all focus on Consoles.

Zestiria is already sitting at 90,000 sales on Steam. Dynasty Warriors 8 XL is sitting at 150k. If KT did more efforts, following port would make a lot more money. When you have people reacting well, you're expected to do better, not worse.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried about how this game will fare on PC.

The hype surrounding this game is pretty minimum, and I believe there's not enough time to build the hype with such a short time before release since the announcement. Moreover, this is the first Dragon Quest game on Steam. That, combined with the fact that Koei Tecmo has been pretty consistent with the quality of their PC ports, could possibly bring this game down. I really hope that this will be a good port (finally), but I'm not holding my breath.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried about how this game will fare on PC.

The hype surrounding this game is pretty minimum, and I believe there's not enough time to build the hype with such a short time before release since the announcement. Moreover, this is the first Dragon Quest game on Steam. That, combined with the fact that Koei Tecmo has been pretty consistent with the quality of their PC ports, could possibly bring this game down. I really hope that this will be a good port (finally), but I'm not holding my breath.

Considering how it bombed on PS4 in West, I don't think they have high expectations.

Tizoc

This is Square Enix. Of course they have high, probably unrealistic expectations.

I think you're confusing them with pre current gen Capcom :p
When was the lat time they posted expectations on anything? Keep in mind that we hadn't gotten a new DQ game since Joker 2 and 9, off the top of my head.
DQ Heroes was the first DQ game to even get localized for a console, all their other DQ releases were mobile ones.

12 hours into the PS4 version and the biggest fix PC gamers can pray for is a better camera.

It's Kingdom Hearts bad and ruins some good hack and slash gameplay.

Close behind is the poor NPC AI. Too often your buddies just stand there taking a beating and not attacking the 50 enemies in front of them. Likewise when you deploy minions around the thing you need to protect, they stand there as if they are blind while enemies are attacking their objective.

Decent game but I wouldn't be paying full price for it. (I got mine from Amazon for $20).

I think it did 34k first month in USA. Don't know about Europe though. I think it might have done well in France though.

Less than 50k? Honestly, I'm quite shocked.
I guess the game can possibly reach that number in a month. But then again, it's coming in a pretty bad time, in between major steam sales.

It bombed? What did I miss?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185621882&postcount=5636
According to creamsugar, although I'm not sure if this is reliable or not.
It charted at 17th position in UK on first week. Although in France, it charted at 3rd position in the total top and 2nd in the PS4 top but disappeared the week after from the PS4 top and the total top.

So just TFA? Gotcha!

TFA ? What does it means ?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=185621882&postcount=5636
According to creamsugar, although I'm not sure if this is reliable or not.
It charted at 17th position in UK on first week. Although in France, it charted at 3rd position in the total top and 2nd in the PS4 top but disappeared the week after from the PS4 top and the total top.

TFA ? What does it means ?
TFA = Tales from Ass. You just said you don't even know the numbers and cited chart positions =/. Atleast wait for the SE Financial Report for the quarter DQH is released before calling it a "bomb". The only number that we have is from creamsugar and covers NPD. There is digital sales + the rest of the "West" as you put it. Maybe, at best, you can say that it didn't sell well in US but calling it a "bomb" in West is jumping to conclusions.

People were quick to shout the same for Type-0 HD but SE were happy with the sales and called it a success in their report. We will find out about the same for Dragon Quest Heroes, and if the sequel is greenlighted for the West, will this put a stop to the claim that it "bombed"?

TFA = Tales from Ass. You just said you don't even know the numbers and cited chart positions =/. Atleast wait for the SE Financial Report for the quarter DQH is released before calling it a "bomb". The only number that we have is from creamsugar and covers NPD. There is digital sales + the rest of the "West" as you put it. Maybe, at best, you can say that it didn't sell well in US but calling it a "bomb" in West is jumping to conclusions.

People were quick to shout the same for Type-0 HD but SE were happy with the sales and called it a success in their report. We will find out about the same for Dragon Quest Heroes, and if the sequel is greenlighted for the West, will this put a stop to the claim that it "bombed"?

Tales from ass is at least based on some concrete sources. No need to be this impolite you know. As for Type-0 HD, I'd be curious to see this financial report, because considering how the game had troubles to be moved from shelves, I'd be cautious on their happiness.

sörine

Banned

Cited sales figures + chart positions = Tales from my Ass? Really?! The willful denial surrounding October's JPS4 threesome underperforming is truly astounding.

Type-0 HD sold six times what DQH did in NPD btw.

Raw64life

SE abandoned the franchise in the west for five years and then dropped a fan service heavy spin-off with no advertising. No one should be surprised it hasn't been selling.

Tales from ass is at least based on some concrete sources. No need to be this impolite you know. As for Type-0 HD, I'd be curious to see this financial report, because considering how the game had troubles to be moved from shelves, I'd be cautious on their happiness.
Come on. Read your post which said it bombed in the "West" while citing chart positions and sales figure in NPD. I am not trying to say it was a roaring success, merely stating that there is not much evidence right now to outright call the game a "bomb". The game sold pretty much the same as past Dragon Quest games. Also this post

SE abandoned the franchise in the west for five years and then dropped a fan service heavy spin-off with no advertising. No one should be surprised it hasn't been selling.

Now put 2 and 2 and tell me did it really "bomb" or sold just what was expected of it?

sörine;187682607 said:
Cited sales figures + chart positions = Tales from my Ass? Really?! The willful denial surrounding October's JPS4 threesome underperforming is truly astounding.

Type-0 HD sold six times what DQH did in NPD btw.
DQH sold pretty much the same as the previous games sold in the West. The only denial is for people who were expecting it to light charts on fire. Which is actually hilarious since it is a Musou spin-off and not even a mainline.

As for Type-0 HD, you cite six times the sales yet I still remember how people were calling it a failure. Funny how it works.

Top Bottom