• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS in the west. What once seemed impossible is now reality

Might not be the good thread to ask this, but what is the status of those games in the West ? Do we have a release date ? Cannot seem to find informations
Nintendo Treehouse will have gameplay of Dragon Quest VII on their live stream. Maybe the release date as well, we'll see.

JohnTonne

Are all the earlier Dragon Quest games on the e shop?

I wish, I don't think any Dragon Quest/Warrior games have been re-released on Virtual Console, or PS1 classics services ever. I would be fine with just the GBC versions of 1 2 and 3.

The official Dragon Quest twitter made it seem like both 7 and 8 are coming this year for the 30th anniversary, I dunno how that is going to happen but we'll see.

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/736186590213574656

Kouriozan

7 is coming out this fall while it seems 8 is slated for next year but I could be wrong.

Both are still 2016, from Nintendo's most recent release schedule :

cCTZ1Ge.jpg

hampig

Have 8 on my phone, a Japanese ps2 copy, and an English ps2 copy. Will definitely pick ups 7 on 3DS though. Always wanted to try it, but I'm not much for big RPGs on home consoles anymore unless they're named Persona.

Can't wait for this to drop.

I already have IV completed and I think I'm about halfway through V, and just bought VI for the DS last night. I'm in for some Dragon Quest goodness.

I do wish that Square Enix put the GBC roms for I-III on VC. I guess there's always homebrew for that, but silly me I updated because I had to do system transfer.

Velcro Fly

They confirmed after the last direct via PR that it was retail as well as eShop. I remember we had a thread and a few of us were briefly worried.

Ōkami

SE seems to have something against rereleasing the old DQ games on digital platforms.

No Dragon Quest or Dragon Warrior game is available digitally anywhere, not even in Japan. Weather is Virtual Console or PSN, neither of the Nintendo or PlayStation games have seen rerelease digitally.

I guess they want you to buy the mobile ports instead.

Also a couple of weeks ago the official DQ account did confirm that VIII is coming out this year, alongisde VII and Builders.

Bulzeeb

Hi guys, I've never been into DQ before, so I wanted to ask which one of these 2 do you think will be the best one for me to start? I've been more inclined to get 8 but I'd like some opinions

Hi guys, I've never been into DQ before, so I wanted to ask which one of these 2 do you think will be the best one for me to start? I've been more inclined to get 8 but I'd like some opinions

If you're looking for more traditional mainstream JRPG experiences, you want to go with V and VIII.

Hell, I'd recommend V no matter what.

1upsuper

I'd go in order if you can, starting from the beginning, otherwise start with III or V.

I'm assuming you know a fair amount about 8 if you're leaning towards it, so I'll focus on DQ7. It's probably my personal favorite in the series, but it's pretty different. Even compared to a lot of other JRPGs, its plot structure is more of a series of stories connected by the overall narrative of restoring the world. I know the 3DS version took out a lot of backtracking, but I can see it still being a pretty divisive entry because of its setup. Again, not sure about the 3DS version, but the PS1 version is a fairly slow game in terms of pacing (the actual battles and whatnot are fast and efficient). You didn't get the job system until about 20 hours into the game, at which point it really throws you into the deep end with it. There's a fair amount of backtracking as you explore the world to find other fragments of maps and the like.

Again, I absolutely loved it, but because of its oddities DQ8 might be a better entry point. It's more in-line with average JRPG conventions while still having the series flare and personality.

Dragon Quest 7 still shows up as Dec. 30, 2016 for me on Amazon.

That placeholder release date eventually has to change, but Nintendo is taking their sweet time.

Last release schedule had it listed as a 2017 release, so I wouldn't expect it to release this year anymore.

I'm not surprised if true. Seems like a smarter idea to take it away from fall/december in fear it gets overshadowed

fester

Banned
Well I've tried (and failed) multiple times to get Amazon to update the release date. Even though I showed how Nintendo lists it as 9/16 on their official website http://dragonquest7.nintendo.com and their competitors all have 9/16, their customer service team stubbornly reads from a script that "the publisher indicates December 30". So damn frustrating. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

fester

Banned
Stop worrying about it. You know when it comes out, and Amazon is going to ship it when it comes out. Their date being wrong pre-release isn't relevant.

I get what you're saying, but up until recently the product page was completely screwed up. I don't think it's asking much that their info be correct and up to date with everyone else.

I get what you're saying, but up until recently the product page was completely screwed up. I don't think it's asking much that their info be correct and up to date with everyone else.

If it's that much of an issue to you then call Amazon and let them know their listing is wrong.

Raw64life

If it's that much of an issue to you then call Amazon and let them know their listing is wrong.

Well I've tried (and failed) multiple times to get Amazon to update the release date. Even though I showed how Nintendo lists it as 9/16 on their official website http://dragonquest7.nintendo.com and their competitors all have 9/16, their customer service team stubbornly reads from a script that "the publisher indicates December 30". So damn frustrating. Not sure what else I can do at this point.

I've noticed this as well but I'm not too worried about it. This game certainly isn't going to sell out anywhere given how little Nintendo cares about marketing it.

fester

Banned

As I mentioned earlier, I've tried this a couple times and gotten no where with them. Amazon customer service is amazing if you have any problems after you receive a product, but they seem to be completely unable to handle feedback about their website and product listings.

Top Bottom