• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS in the west. What once seemed impossible is now reality

(Click logos for the original-sized pics)

JsRAvuS.jpg
pV83CDY.jpg

I still remember for the longest time Dragon Quest VII 3DS seemed a guaranteed no-show since SE claimed (admittedly with good reason) that the script was just too fucking huge to re-translate. And IMO Dragon Quest VIII seemed unlikely if VII would be skipped (I guess they could just not "mind the gap" if you would).

All the Directs and all the conferences throughout the last few years that the words Dragon Quest would be part of, the outcries were loud and clear, we NEEDED Dragon Quest VII 3DS in the west!

And finally back on November 12th, 2015 in the last main Nintendo Direct, those wishes came true, and with the bonus of Dragon Quest VIII being announced right alongside.

Right now DQVII is just scheduled for summer 2016, with DQVIII being "2016", presumably afterward.

So I felt we should celebrate these being localized more, I'm actually surprised most talk sort of stopped afterward, presumably due to just waiting for more release info to pop up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Excited for DQVIII for this reason alone

dq8-17.jpg

DQ8_06-30-15_003.jpg

She should have always been playable.

As someone who started a foray into the series via the GBC version of DQ1 a few weeks back, I'm glad these are definitely coming over. I'll definitely pick them up, though it might be a while before I actually get to playing them.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
are they enhanced/exclusive for n3DS? i'd be down to finally try DQ8 if it runs well on my regular 3DS

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Aww, I was thinking there'd be new stuff in this thread like english screenshots or dates!

Going by VII's logo I take it we're in for a seafaring adventure?

Glad Square-Enix is finally taking the plunge. I'll be sure to support and pick these games up!

I think it's Nintendo in at least NA, likely in EU but I recall the SE logo showing up in the announcement there instead of Nintendo's which was in the NA one.

Nintendo's in all retailers in NA listing the game like Amazon.

entremet

I think it's Nintendo in at least NA, likely in EU but I recall the SE logo showing up in the announcement there instead of Nintendo's which was in the NA one.

It's Nintendo.

The SE logo is there because it's an SE property.

Ridley327

Squenix oversees the localization on everything Nintendo publishes for them. Nintendo is more or less a mere distributor on those titles.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Definitely picking these both up, very hyped. Nintendo saving the day, unfortunately we can guess it just didn't make financial sense for SE otherwise so it's very good Nintendo decided to please hardcore fans like this. Definitely makes 2016 a good year. God I love the 3DS. Nintendo pulled through.

Early Summer for VII according to Bill, so I kind of see the end of June. I know they've avoided July lately though even if Q3 technically starts then.

Squenix oversees the localization on everything Nintendo publishes for them. Nintendo is more or less a mere distributor on those titles.

What about Treehouse?

I would think 6 was fully done by SE since Nintendo took over very late IIRC, but 9 and 7 might be them, and it depends on if they reuse 8's original PS2 localization which I assume the mobile version did?

It'd be telling if Treehouse has any role in 7 as that will seal the fate of the iOS version, as I don't think that will see the light of day in the west if Nintendo does the localization for that.

Otherwise if you're right then it'd be like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge where Nintendo merely put their name on in the Wii U version in the west and put it on shelves, but Tecmo Koei did all the rest themselves hence how the PS360 versions of RE got localized. On the other hand, Nintendo surely did the localization of Samurai Warriors 3 in-house which is surely why the PS3 and PSP versions were not localized.

ZeroX03

Banned
VII and VIII and Heroes but no Monsters!

I'm getting these on the off-chance it improves the chances of future Monsters titles, I don't have really have any interest in the series otherwise.

Ridley327

What about Treehouse?

I would think 6 was fully done by SE since Nintendo took over very late IIRC, but 9 and 7 might be them, and it depends on if they reuse 8's original PS2 localization which I assume the mobile version did?

It'd be telling if Treehouse has any role in 7 as that will seal the fate of the iOS version, as I don't think that will see the light of day in the west if Nintendo does the localization for that.

Otherwise if you're right then it'd be like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge where Nintendo merely put their name on it and put it on shelves, but Tecmo Koei did all the rest themselves hence how the PS360 versions of RE got localized. On the other hand, Nintendo surely did the localization of Samurai Warriors 3 in-house which is surely why the PS3 and PSP versions were not localized.

6 was actually localized by the good folks over at 8-4, which is why rumors are swirling that they managed to land the DQ7 job, as well.

Soriku

Man I want to play VII and see how ridiculously long it is, but there are so many other lengthy games I want to play this year too :x

Meanwhile I loved VIII on the PS2 but I'm not going to pick up the 3DS version. I'll wait for DQ XI to get my DQ VIII-esque fix.

Will dqviii have the voice work and orchestral soundtrack from the ps2 western release?

Nope, 8 had an ENTIRELY new orchestrated score on 3DS. And if I recall, the PS2 version in the west kind of lazily used concert hall recordings which were noticeable in the game, rather than studio-recorded as is done here.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Not any more than average. You get a ship in most DQs.
Ohh wonder what the ships will represent then. VIII's logo is a crown which obviously ties into the king an such, V's had three rings which I took it as the three brides ya could pick from an so on. Guess I'll find out in summer which hopefully means june/july an not august/september/october ~_~

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
From what I've seen, VIII on 3DS is the superior version, so I'll give the PS2 game a pass when it comes to a re-play.

I just really tend to prefer TV screens over handhelds, myself. I'm making an exception for DQVII, but I want VIII to keep being a 32-inch gig, I guess.

It also looks a bit less visually impressive to me on 3DS. But it has been a long time since I played VIII, maybe I'm imagining things.

Tis cool that it's out on 3DS, of course. Just not really my scene is all.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Despite the setbacks of last night, my hype for VII remains undiminished. My 3ds is ready.

HotHamBoy

From what I've seen, VIII on 3DS is the superior version, so I'll give the PS2 game a pass when it comes to a re-play.

That's not what I've heard at all. My understanding is that it's a severely downgraded version. VII, on the other hand, is supposed to be an excellent upgrade that fixes a lot of the more inaccessible aspects.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That's not what I've heard at all. My understanding is that it's a severely downgraded version. VII, on the other hand, is supposed to be an excellent upgrade that fixes a lot of the more inaccessible aspects.

Don't get Aeana mad :p

You heard wrong, VIII has a load of enhancements and only a slight visual downgrade. New playable characters, story quests, streetpass functionality, photo mode, visible enemy encounters, balance, and full orchestral score. Even got Japanese voice acting for the first time.

VII is a total remake and you're right, it's enhanced too.

What about 6 on iOS? And 4 and 5 (and also 9) DS?

Edit: Credits say 9 was basically by SE and not Nintendo after all.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/credits

Yeah, Nintendo probably foots the bill for that and does not see the resulting localization immediately used on a competing platform from what I can tell, though IX's never was used on a competing platform anyways. I'd be very interested to know how it works but it's more complicated than a simple distribution contract I'm sure, Square Enix and Nintendo have a pretty tight relationship.

I have been watching walkthroughs for both games on youtube for a while now. I actually just closed a tab to open gaf and spot this thread. (DQ VII and DQ VIII, for anyone wanting said links to walkthroughs)

Words can't describe how much I look forward to both.

Also can someone spoil me on the post-game contents of VII? (the added ones at least) - is it true that
there's an extra dungeon and Kiefer rejoins? Also what are those story tablets?

Bring them to me!! I have deliberately held off playing 8 and 9 because I haven't completed 7 as yet (yes I know they are not direct sequels)

ohlawd

the inferior version has worse graphics, but improved battle speed, objectively better music, and more content

k it's still undoubtedly inferior

McNagah

I'm so excited to try out Dragon Quest VIII for the first time again in 8 years. Dragon Quest VII looks kind of cool too.

Joqu

Hell yeah it is! Lack of localizations really had made me cautious of getting all excited for XI but now I'm letting myself look forward to that one too. I love me some Dragon Quest. These better sell well though...

Wish I could say the same thing for the Monsters games though. I absolutely adore the gameboy originals so I was really looking forward to the remakes when we heard about those first and I loved the first two Joker ones too. Not to mention Rocket Slime.

There simply isn't enough time left to localize all the 3DS DQ games we've missed out on at this point though, even if VII and VIII do end up selling unexpectedly well. (Hey, Bravely Default did.) Oh well. :(

Still really pleased they're happening though! They definitely were my top two wishlist picks being mainline and all.

Not Square-Enix but at this point I just wish that we'd get a The Great Ace Attorney localizations from Capcom. That's THE unlocalized 3DS game left to me.

There's graphical downgrades but a good amount of extra content. Whether the downgrades are a deal breaker is up to you but I do think the new additions shouldn't be ignored like that. They sound great.

3DS is only nerfed in overall graphical fidelity. It has more content and no random encounters. The latter, in particular, makes it superior (in my eyes) to the PS2 one.

Nah. The music and added content puts the 3DS version on top. The visuals took a small hit, but that doesn't make it "severely downgraded".

Edit: No random encounters in the 3DS version? It's not even an argument then. Case closed, it's better.

Just started a new playthrough of VI. Dragon Quest fever has taken hold of me, the 3DS games are honestly all I need this year.

Kyoufu

Hate to burst both your bubbles, but 8-4 is confirmed to absolutely NOT be doing the translation for 7 or the new content in 8.

No bubble to burst here, I know they're not doing it, which makes me sad because I am not a fan of S-E's super punny localisations on mobile.

Top Bottom