• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS in the west. What once seemed impossible is now reality

Yagharek

Genuinely excited for DQVII to finally come to PAL land. I remember seeing it announced after my first foray into the RPG genre with FFVII, and dearly wanted to play it. Alas it never came out and I had no means to import it.

18 years later, finally. Waiting for Half Life 3 is a doddle next to this.

Will buy these out of solidarity for the series. I know, however, I probably won't begin to scratch the surface of either of them.

Of the two, VII is the most interesting to me. VIII was cool, and I'm beyond hyped to play it with no random encounters, but VII had interesting systems, and I only got like 20 hours into the psx version and never unlocked the class system.

Also, upon release, I can't wait for the gaf backlash talking about how psx dq VII is the one true version and GOAT compared to the 3ds remake. I really do love reading the minutiae people get into.

blackjaw

I will buy a 3DS for DQ7....one of my personal favorites more for nostalgia than quality of game. Plus it looks fantastic.

Will buy these out of solidarity for the series. I know, however, I probably won't begin to scratch the surface of either of them.

Of the two, VII is the most interesting to me. VIII was cool, and I'm beyond hyped to play it with no random encounters, but VII had interesting systems, and I only got like 20 hours into the psx version and never unlocked the class system.

Also, upon release, I can't wait for the gaf backlash talking about how psx dq VII is the one true version and GOAT compared to the 3ds remake. I really do love reading the minutiae people get into.

I seem to remember pretty much nothing but praise from posters in the DQ7 3DS import thread.

For my part, I really enjoy PS1 DQ7 (just finished another play through about a month or so ago) but its pacing issues are pretty glaring.

entremet

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese version of 8 used midi music, while the US version was rerecorded with a real symphony. I would assume the 3DS version uses the better music?

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyI1aacezx8

Symphonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzY1QfshNo

And apparently the 3DS version is slightly censored
0eo3ppz.png
z0Pqkn4.png
Probably for age ratings. They're much harsher in Japan than they were when the game first released.

Hilarion

Preordered VII (I usually don't preorder, but I love Dragon Quest and I know the 3DS port is good because it's been out in Japan for years) and will eventually play VIII as well. Dragon Quest is my favorite series and VII 3DS is my most anticipated game of 2016 (followed by Bravely Second).

I've played and beaten Dragon Quests I, II, IV, V, and VI (as well as the original DQM way back on the Game Boy Color). I'll probably eventually track down IX on the DS, but I was wondering about the best way to play III. I was going to get the Android port, but I waited too long and SE took down I-III off the Google Play Store. What's the best way to play Dragon Quest III?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm really, really excited for 7. Still kind of can't believe it's happening, but needless to say, I'll be more than happy to plunk down the cash on day 1.

Preordering both since I am a huge DQ fan.

I played DQ7 when it first came out (on PS2 with shinier graphics). All the way to the end boss where I got stuck. I hate grinding so I never quite beat it.

Loved DQ8, looking forward to that also. Played that through on my fat PS3. My daughter loved watching me play it, she can probably play it now.

Yayyayayyyyyyyy

ghibli99

I'd given up hope, but apparently I didn't take Andy Dufresne's advice from The Shawshank Redemption to heart:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

DQ7 alone will make this year one of the best ever. Loved it on PS1... can't wait to see the changes/improvements.

elohel

As someone who started a foray into the series via the GBC version of DQ1 a few weeks back, I'm glad these are definitely coming over. I'll definitely pick them up, though it might be a while before I actually get to playing them.

Why the GBC versions?

1upsuper

So excited for this. DQ is my favorite game series, and I'm so glad it's re-re-returning to the West. Saves me the trouble of importing VIII.

alf717

I have both games pre-ordered with Amazon. I'm worried though because Amazon shipping is horrible and I'm picky about damaged goods.

Cmon SE, put up the rest of the series on the Virtual Console

Or really just put ANYTHING on the virtual console

To think we could be playing Dragon Warrior/Quest 1 - 6 on the Wii U right now. I sometimes wish I knew what the thought process was behind Virtual Console in the US.

DQ V is my first which I got last year for DS, adore that game and I've been hungry for more ever since. Really impressed NOA is bringing over both VII and VIII, still doesn't seem real, especially for VII which most had given up hope on considering it's been out in Japan almost three years. One of the best Directs ever. Dragon Quest VII will be my big summer game before VIII is released. Can. Not. Wait.

Buying both again so hard. I try to support this franchise as much as I can. Will be gifting as well. VII and VIII 3DS are great versions of the respective games.

mclem

6 was actually localized by the good folks over at 8-4, which is why rumors are swirling that they managed to land the DQ7 job, as well.

I'm playing 6 at the moment, and I'm loving the lightness of tone. Would love to see the same team covering 7.

Javier

My only experience with Dragon Quest is DQ9, which apparently is one of the lowest points of the franchise, or so I've heard.

I'll probably start anew with DQ7.

TEJ

I'd be disappointed if they excluded the english voicework in dq8. I'd still buy it no doubt but the charming voicework made the story scenes oh-so better.

Does Dragon Quest 8 benefit from dual screens or should I jump straight into the PS2 version?

Well yeah, the maps are always there for example, which helps in say, dungeons or even overworld/town exploration. It's also used for some shortcuts. It definitely helps to have it. The PS2 version is perfectly fine to play though if you have to play DQVIII now. It's also still the prettiest version around.

Does the 3DS version have any new voice acted scenes?
Yes.

No idea if it'll be voice acted in English though.

Does Dragon Quest 8 benefit from dual screens or should I jump straight into the PS2 version?

DQVIII's 3DS port has tons of new stuff. New story content, new characters, faster battles, on screen enemies you can avoid. Only downside compared to the PS2 version is draw distance & resolution.

My only experience with Dragon Quest is DQ9, which apparently is one of the lowest points of the franchise, or so I've heard.

I'll probably start anew with DQ7.

Yes, DQIX is one of the worst story wise (though the battle system is great).

There are NES DQ games with better stories then DQIX.

RyoonZ

Banned
It's always on Nintendo agenda to release such high quality title like Dragon Quest from Japan to the west. Why do you think thry have region lock on first place? So that we don't get crap like thousand years old that looks like a twelve yeats old. Indeed it took a long time but that's the thing with high quality effort localization from Nintendo, it's not like some other company that used doge meme in their localization.

It's always on Nintendo agenda to release such high quality title like Dragon Quest from Japan to the west. Why do you think thry have region lock on first place? So that we don't get crap like thousand years old that looks like a twelve yeats old. Indeed it took a long time but that's the thing with high quality effort localization from Nintendo, it's not like some other company that used doge meme in their localization.

I rather suspect these will be a pun filled cringefest from Square's preferred localiser and merely paid for by Nintendo.

Hopefully they'll at least get rid of the regional accents this time round.

I rather suspect these will be a pun filled cringefest from Square's preferred localiser and merely paid for by Nintendo.

Hopefully they'll at least get rid of the regional accents this time round.
But I liked the regional accent stuff in the NA DQVIII. I thought it had a lot more character than the typical localization.

But I liked the regional accent stuff in the NA DQVIII. I thought it had a lot more character than the typical localization.

Sorry, I was more talking about VII (which I assume will be a brand new translation as VII PSX was in the old style). PS2 DQVIII had great VA's that made it work. Text-only ones like IV/V were abominable.

Hugstable

Banned
My goodness I so can't wait for DQVII!!! I had lost all hope but it's finally truly coming. I loved the original playstation 1 release back in the day and was hoping we would get this game when it was announced. It's been such a long wait, but it will be worth everything once I can finally hold this game in my hands and play the shit out of it. Gonna be picking up VIII as well, don't know when I'll be playing it though since I played the PS2 version during like SUmmer of last year. Really hope the changes to the battle speed make everything better. I like VIII, but it's strangely one of my least favorite from the series barring 1 and 2 (maybe 4 also). VII though is pretty much my favorite game in the series along with V (PS2 version was soo good, DS is decent too). I think I need to play VIII after not bingeing on so much DQ though, last year I ended up playing DQ3, DQ4, DQ5, DQ6, and DQ9 in a row before I started VIII, so maybe fatigue set in or something lol. I hope they still give the option to turn off the voices like they did in the original PS2 release. I really like playing these games with no voices >_>

Sorry, I was more talking about VII (which I assume will be a brand new translation as VII PSX was in the old style). PS2 DQVIII had great VA's that made it work. Text-only ones like IV/V were abominable.
Eh, the accents only really bothered me a lot in DQIV (particularly Ragnar's chapter), and V (only Bianca's accent). VI was pretty good, I thought. It adds a ton of flavour to the localisation and I'm looking forward to its implementation in VII. It can't be worse than the original translation.

In my veins! I will grind both games into a fine powder and mix it with a little Samuel Adams. Add heat and we are off to the races. I'm going to quest the shit out of some dragons!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
His VA reprised the role in Heroes, so I really can't imagine how they wouldn't be able to get him back.

Jessica's did not though. Would/could they use a soundalike or not? It's possible they just bring over the original beloved English dub but do not dub the new scenes, I think that may be most likely.

jackal27

Banned
Can't wait. If you count the ds DQ games, the 3ds is going to have an amazing DQ library when it's all said and done.

If they would release the GBC remakes of the first 3, you'd literally be able to play every mainline Dragon Quest on a 3DS haha! I guess we didn't get X though.

Also this is my favorite game series so I get a little misty eyed just thinking about getting to play more of it.

Kouriozan

Dragon Quest 7 is so bought day one, we missed it on PS1 here in Europe, no way I'll miss it again.
I'll probably get 8 as well for the neat added features/story but it's not as important as 7 for me right now.

I hoped you were gone for good. Your weak trolling is so incredibly unfunny.

Ridley327

Jessica's did not though. Would/could they use a soundalike or not? It's possible they just bring over the original beloved English dub but do not dub the new scenes, I think that may be most likely.

Given the outrage that happened the last time Squenix decided to not localize something fully in a DQ game, I doubt that would happen. It would be strange to record a new VA performance for a character, but it's hardly unprecedented and already has some very notable examples, like Persona 4.

Kaname

Guess I'll have to buy again a 3DS this summer lol
Sold because I was never using it but how can I pass on playing these two games ç_ç VIII is also my first DQ and the one that made me love the series.

StereoVsn

Man, the 3DS graphics just do not give DQVIII justice and I am usually tolerant of crappy 3DS screen. I think I am skipping that one (and Hyrule Warriors). Lesson was learned on Xenoblade. DQVIII runs pretty well in emulation so might go that route (image quality of my PS2 on my modern TV is still terrible).

Now, DQVII is another story since it was originally a PS1 game. Pre-ordered even though not sure when I would play it.

Top Bottom