• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS in the west. What once seemed impossible is now reality

Glassboy

I am so happy that they Square Enix finally decided to bring these over. I will buy a physical and digital copy of each game at launch to show my support.

RM8

I'm never going to finish either game, but they look so fun and charnimg. I think I'll buy both :x

But please, give us the Monsters games too :( Those are the ones I want to play!

ManeKast

At last VII will be mine! So happy. VIII is the single greatest JRPG experience I've had. Bliss.

Wait... There's new content as well!! ^_^

Joqu

Nah. The music and added content puts the 3DS version on top. The visuals took a small hit, but that doesn't make it "severely downgraded".

Yeah. Content is king as far as I'm concerned, especially when it comes to RPGs, and while the downgrades are unfortunate the game still looks pretty gorgeous either way IMO.

The 3DS version of DQ8 still doesn't actually use the 3D effect, right?

Nope. Lots of later 3DS Square Enix releases don't from what I've heard? I do wish they had at least included enhancements like that for the N3DS.

Koppai

Only reason it's happening is because Nintendo is paying for it to keep the 3DS afloat with games since they have cut significant development. It's why they are bringing over LBX and Yokai Watch and other 3rd party games.

Jhoan

I'm incredibly happy that both games are being localized but I'm more excited to play VII moreso than VIII because I've never played it before. Since it comes out in June, it's going to be a great birthday present to myself.

I never finished VIII because I misplaced the disc and only made it to the first major villain of the game so having a portable version of it is going to be a treat. This is is going to be a fantastic year for 3DS JRPGs; both games deserve to sell well.

Only reason it's happening is because Nintendo is paying for it to keep the 3DS afloat with games since they have cut significant development. It's why they are bringing over LBX and Yokai Watch and other 3rd party games.
Nah. The Level 5 properties didn't launch to prop up the 3DS. You don't launch transmedia properties with several companies involved to pad out a lineup.

Both are day 1. I've been waiting for that DQ7 remake forever. Terrible release date though. 2016 is fucking packed with jrpgs, that and the fact that the 3ds is likely on its way out next year means these games are going to get overshadowed even more than usual.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

While that's my thinking as well and probably true, it doesn't change how great this is one bit.

Disagree on Yokai-Watch though, NOA gave that a huge ad campaign last year to go with the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Both are day 1. I've been waiting for that DQ7 remake forever. Terrible release date though. 2016 is fucking packed with jrpgs, that and the fact that the 3ds is likely on its way out next year means these games are going to get overshadowed even more than usual.

I'm going to be spending a ton of time on 3DS RPGs, and that's just with what's been announced. SMT IV Final, Three old Pokémon games, Paper Jam, Bravely Second, DQ VII and VIII. This is ignoring the PS4 which could have a very strong RPG year in its own right and also the back catalog I've developed.

Man, is "tow the line" actually in the game? Because if so, wow, that is terrible. On their part for using it and on mine for not noticing it on my 100+ hours in DQVIII (PS2).

The correct idiomatic expression is "toe the line", meaning to follow the rules (barely). I'm pretty sure that something meaning "carry (your) weight" would have fit better there.

All that aside, very excited to play the latest version of both of these games. I started to play through VII again three days before it was announced for Japan, which derailed me for years. Have them both preordered through Amazon now. They might feel like small potatoes in terms of Dragon Quest 3DS games, remakes and/or spinoffs (since there are eight or so), but I feel like they're also the two most important ones to localize.

I'm going to be spending a ton of time on 3DS RPGs, and that's just with what's been announced. SMT IV Final, Three old Pokémon games, Paper Jam, Bravely Second, DQ VII and VIII. This is ignoring the PS4 which could have a very strong RPG year in its own right and also the back catalog I've developed.

Yup 3DS is stack and PS4 even more so (FF15, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, Nier: Automata, Dragon quest 11, Tales of Berseria...etc). Idk how I'm going to find the time.

Heero5

So exited for these, I almost lost faith in 7 but it came through :) Nothing like having 1 handheld with DQ 4,5,6,7,8 all playable
thats not a phone

Yeah, that's the cynical view, sure. However, we don't know if Nintendo even has anything to do with this yet. We don't know if they're publishing/localizing/etc.

On a more practical level, these are pretty costly investments. If Nintendo wanted to simply pad out the line up as you say, there are far less expensive titles they could have done. Ex Troopers, for example, or Rhythm Heaven.

Yeah, that's the cynical view, sure. However, we don't know if Nintendo even has anything to do with this yet. We don't know if they're publishing/localizing/etc.

On a more practical level, these are pretty costly investments. If Nintendo wanted to simply pad out the line up as you say, there are far less expensive titles they could have done. Ex Troopers, for example, or Rhythm Heaven.
I think Rhythm Heaven is coming at some point this year. Ex Troopers would have been a good late localization for the 3DS' last year.

rucury

Banned
I am so very excited to get these two! I've never played VII since I didn't own the original PlayStation and once I got into the DQ series, VII seemed the least interesting for some reason. I think I read somewhere that the game was unnecessarily long and had tons of filler and I guess that put me off. I'd still like to try it out though.

I actually played a lot of VIII back on the PS2, and I had already beaten FFXII so I sure as heck didn't pick it up for the demo! I think I just lost steam along the way and ended up shelving it. I was gonna import the game since I own a Japanese 3DS, but I would much rather replay it in English on my western New 3DS XL! Please announce a release date Square Enix ;_;

johnsmith

remember me
Did they improve the pacing in the 3DS version of 7? Granted my memory is a bit hazy, but I remember not fighting your first battle for about 3 hours, not having any commands beyond fight and item for 10 hours, and not getting the job system until about 20 hours.

Velcro Fly

My strategy of expecting nothing has paid off!

That Direct was magic. I've rewatched the 3DS part of it at least 3 times since then because part of me still can't believe it.

Chesskid1

Banned
haha good timing with this topic.

i recently repurchased a 3ds so i bought IV and V just now today on ebay. they should be here in a week or two. i beat V a long time ago and barely remember it. couldn't find a good deal for VI but planning to pick it up later.

will be pretty sweet having IV-VIII on one console.

Joqu

Did they improve the pacing in the 3DS version of 7? Granted my memory is a bit hazy, but I remember not fighting your first battle for about 3 hours, not having any commands beyond fight and item for 10 hours, and not getting the job system until about 20 hours.

I've never played EITHER version of 7 so I'm sure someone more qualified will answer this, but from what I've heard they did change up the intro compared to the original for what it's worth. For the very reason you described I imagine.

I think 7's just supposed to be a really long and slow paced game like that though. It's definitely for a reputation like that. I gotta say that's actually one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to it, but I'll definitely make sure to set aside the appropriate time for that.

jb1234

I'm not sure I can bear to play VII again, it was so ungodly long and drawn out the first time. As I never finished VIII, I'll definitely pick that one up.

Meffer

No bubble to burst here, I know they're not doing it, which makes me sad because I am not a fan of S-E's super punny localisations on mobile.

I believe it was a couple that worked on the later translations that started the style of puns english DQ is known for now. Sadly it was also the start of the heavy accented dialogue the DS remakes had which made it a chore to read. I understand they wanted to make the countries in the world distinct but it was really bad. Like, REALLY bad, it was hard to understand what a person was saying.
I think they stopped doing though so, yeah we'll see.
Aside from that, I'm very happy we're getting these games in the same year no less.

Meffer

Are they gonna make the battle speed faster? Cause that's the only way i'm buying these.

Well, 8 was slow because the game was on disc, so the load times hinder the speed the series was known for, simple and quick battles. Since the game is on cart or download, the battles should be faster now.

Rpgmonkey

I didn't play the original, but it seems like the introductory portion has been cut down significantly, it certainly didn't take hours for me to get into the first fight anyway. The characters will also learn a few spells/abilities even before you unlock jobs.

Are they gonna make the battle speed faster? Cause that's the only way i'm buying these.

IIRC the 3DS version of VIII added an option to make battles move faster.

Meffer

Man, people seriously talking up VIII. Never played it, so I suppose I should do that.

8 is one of the best games in the series, imho. In fact, it was one of the best RPGS on the PS2. The sense of scale it had compared to all of the games in the series so far makes it feel like an actual world to explore. It's really fun to explore.

Still never played DQVIII. The PS2 version is still ultimately the way to go right?

Well, until the 3DS version comes out.

Because the 3DS version has sped-up battles, re-recorded (better) soundtrack, visible encounters, minor tweaks that make life easier (like instant alchemy pot), a new dungeon & a new post-dungeon, two new playable characters, plus various streetpass functions from what I've seen.

BHK3

Banned
I didn't see anything wrong with NA's DQ8 soundtrack aside from them doing it in a empty auditorium so it had a lot of ambiance to it. I can't seem to find a single video of the new OST though to compare.

Tizoc

The insturmental soundtrack of dq8 was fantastic imo

Do we know of a double pack having bith dq7 and 8 in one package?

I had the 1.5x battle speed option turned on permanently. It's hard to go back once you get used to it. Unfortunately there is a few extra seconds of load times for battles in the 3DS version which is weird since you'd think it would load faster than a DVD, but the faster battle speed definitely saves more time in the long run.

You also have the little minor things that you can take for granted like how you can just click a button on the touch screen to summon your killer panther instead of having to go through the menu to use an item. And how the cutscene for when the panther comes is cut after your first use so you're immediately on the cat after calling it. Sometimes in the PS2 version I would say screw it and just walk if the distance was short because I didn't feel like going through the menu and watching the little cutscene play for it every single time, heh. Now I call the shit out of it.

Also the alchemy pot being instant is already well-known, but another nice change that doesn't get much love is how any items that are not alchemizable are automatically greyed out in the 3DS version so from the start you know which items you should keep around to alchemize later and which items are safe to sell. It also makes coming up with recipes on your own a ton easier since once you choose one item to alchemize, the only items that are selectable afterwards are the successful combinations that will make an item. It's great for beginners because now there's not much of a pressing need to look up recipes or find them in-game.

There's a lot of little things like that which make it an overall more pleasant experience.

Mortemis

Banned
This announcement made the last direct the best one ever for me. Been waiting for so long I near shed a tear for this. Really grateful.

With VIII being one of my fav games of all time, I'm super pumped to play VII for the first time.

Do we know when exactly they're coming out? There's not much I'm interested in until April this year, wish one was out this or next month.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also the alchemy pot being instant is already well-known, but another nice change that doesn't get much love is how any items that are not alchemizable are automatically greyed out in the 3DS version so from the start you know which items you should keep around to alchemize later and which items are safe to sell. It also makes coming up with recipes on your own a ton easier since once you choose one item to alchemize, the only items that are selectable afterwards are the successful combinations that will make an item. It's great for beginners because now there's not much of a pressing need to look up recipes or find them in-game.

There's a lot of little things like that which make it an overall more pleasant experience.

WHOA.

Ridley327

Hate to burst both your bubbles, but 8-4 is confirmed to absolutely NOT be doing the translation for 7 or the new content in 8.

I figured that Squenix would be doing 8 themselves since, well, they already mostly did it themselves more than 10 years ago, but that's a shame about 7. Having not played the game, I can only hope that it doesn't allow for many situations for more slime puns.

johnsmith

remember me
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese version of 8 used midi music, while the US version was rerecorded with a real symphony. I would assume the 3DS version uses the better music?

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyI1aacezx8

Symphonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzY1QfshNo

And apparently the 3DS version is slightly censored
0eo3ppz.png
z0Pqkn4.png

Ridley327

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the Japanese version of 8 used midi music, while the US version was rerecorded with a real symphony. I would assume the 3DS version uses the better music?

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyI1aacezx8

Symphonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apzY1QfshNo

And apparently the 3DS version is slightly censored
0eo3ppz.png
z0Pqkn4.png

It's actually a new recording. Still orchestral, but it was recorded in a studio, rather than the live concert hall recording of the western PS2 release.

Top Bottom