• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

Huh, all I heard about 7 is that it was crazy long and that you had to fight god. Interested...

(Prays for 8-4 translation)

Yes, the game is extremely long. The other thing you'll have to see for yourself. 7's real selling point, in my opinion, is its writing. Like other DQs, each town in 7 tends to come with its own vignette. Unlike other DQs, 7's vignettes are set up as the main focus of the story, and they receive a correspondingly higher degree of emphasis and care. Some of them are exceptionally well-realized. The game has an addictive structure because every time you resolve one town's problems, you're desperate to (1) check back in on the town, (2) use your new key items to figure out where the next town is, and (3) visit the new town and see what kind of trouble they're in.

The music is great too. It's one of my favorite DQ games.

See, with Bravely Deafult out of the way, Square Enix is finally free to announce more 3DS games! NOW GIVE ME FFV AND FFTA3!

They must have been working on this game for a long time now (rumor dates from one year ago, full 3D remake, out in 4 months).

tkscz

Ah, so the rumored VII RPG remake finally surfaces again. I was hoping for Fina Fantasy VII just for the lolz and backlash. But I'm betting DQ VII is a much better game.

ElFly

Hope they add another character to the the crew.

You spend most of the game with a party of three when you can have four. It's weird.

Considering all the main line DQ remakes have been so far I don't see why this one would be skipped.

Considering that DQ6 took for fucking ever, and I am told that Nintendo itself had to publish it in the end, and it didn't make a huge splash in the market, I am reasonably nervous.

Considering all the main line DQ remakes have been so far I don't see why this one would be skipped.

It's up in the air, I imagine. Rumor is that DQVI was cancelled for localization by Square-Enix until Nintendo intervened and DQMJ2 did laughably poor numbers. Both Slime Mori Mori and Terry's Wonderland have stayed exclusive to Japan, as well. While those aren't mainline DQs, it does show that seemingly both Nintendo and Square-Enix seem to be uninterested in building the brand here again.

DenisQc

and here I am, waiting for localization....
SE' take cues from Nintendo with their almost worldwide release of Pokemon !

Aru

Good news for the fans. I've got enough of DQ and IX will be my last in the series.
So, 4 to 7 will be playable on 3DS when this is released. They may release VIII after that, it should be an easy port (not expecting a full remake like VII, it's not likely considering what they did for the DS versions). If they release DQ1-3 on Virtual Console, all the main series will be playable on 1 console (outside of X), which is great news overall.

Gloam

Looks great, just recently polished off the PS1 game for a second time, looking forward to seeing everything in 3d! Looks a lot better than I expected actually, better than Terry3d by the looks of things.

Awesome! Provided it comes out here...

Recently I decided to buy all the DQ games to play them in order, but I didn't spring for VII:

7Y07Y.jpg

Looks like I made the right call!

Linkup

Jumped in at 8 and wasn't really interested in play the older ones, but a 3d remake is exactly what i would want. Day 1!

The screens make it look like the V remake for PS2. That's okay, I guess. Definitely need to see it in motion and see what they do with the camera.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
February? Wow, Nintendo is really making sure everything they can stays quite until they're close to release now.

I guess that answers the questions Nirolak and Kagari have been having, if companies like S-E have anything planned for the 3DS you really won't find out until a quarter or so beforehand when it comes to most games anymore.

Yep, full 3D remake. I'll miss dem sprites.

I definitely won't in this case. Being 3D might get me to try this game again.

It's a shame that this question even has to be asked. Maybe Nintendo will have mercy on us again if S-E isn't willing (yeah right).

Anyways, I'm interested to see how this remake is handled. After all, DQVII is, er, quite a bit of game.

I'd say its a pretty safe bet for Europe at least Nintendo gave 9 a big push here and it sold pretty well

Gambit

YES!!!

My dream remake.

I gave up on DQ VII for PSX (after about 70 hours), as it was my first DQ at the time.

It was a difficult starting point. Now, I've finished IX, IV, V and bought VI. So VII arrives in the nick of time.

Wonderful, wonderful news

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Going by the release dates, we'll be getting this in 2014. Lol.

Anyway, I might dip since I barely played it.

urfe

I got to the beginning of the second disc when I first played it.

This is THE game I've been waiting for. A little sad that sprites are gone, but I'll manage. I hope the music isn't butchered too badly.

I'd say its a pretty safe bet for Europe at least Nintendo gave 9 a big push here and it sold pretty well

Not if square doesnt want to translate them to the 5 typical european laguages. Nintendo refuses to distribute in europe any game that doesnt come tranlated in PAL-5. Thats what happened with Kingdom hearts 3D and FF Theatrhytm.

MrT-Tar

I imported an NTSC version of DQVII about 18 months ago (I'm British) and as a whole was impressed by the game, it sits behind V as my 2nd favourite DQ game (I have still yet to play VI and VIII though). I will definitely double dip on this as long as it gets a PAL localisation

Sandfox

I'm glad this game is coming because its really expensive and SE better bring it to the west. I'm kinda expecting them to give a try due to how well IX did but I could be disappointed.

Next week's issue? Wouldn't this be a bit too early for that?

Jump usually leaks the monday/tuesday of the week prior to release due to bookstore/bookstand owners taking a peak as soon as their shipments arrive.

Top Bottom