• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Expectations about sales? Subscribers? What? Like one month ago Square Enix said it was satisfied with the game.

Yeah I would like to hear official word from SE on this, as I thought the initial reports were encouraging.

Somnid

I don't get it. It performed within expectations early on, they were expecting it to continue to grow on a dying system with a newer port coming out? Someone needs tempered expectations.

Also Square is continuing to flush their name down the toilet. People buy these mobile games based on the fact that FF was once a great property. Now that essentially all the money is made via cashins I wonder if they'll manage to kill the brand?

eXistor

Why do devs keep gambling on mmo's? The off-chance that you have a hit is hardly worth the risk I would think.

turnbuckle

I've been a fan of the series for over 20 years and as soon as it was shown to be an mmo my interest dwindled. the visuals were less than what I'd expect too.

still curious about the game but I would never buy it if it required a connection and I can't imagine the community would be very vibrant here in the US. :(

farnham

Banned
Anyone else think they might have released the game a little to late? I can't imagine how FFXI would have performed if it released any later than it did.

FFXI PS2 also performed significantly worse than DQX Wii (130k in the first year). Most of the FFXI subscriber base was on PC.

So what does it take for Wada to lose his job ? Is it enough for FF XIV 2.0 to flop ?

If you had asked me a year ago if a failed MMORPG could take down a company president, I would have told you of course.

Now it seems like a "Well, depends on who they know" answer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
A MMORPG on Wii not meeting expectations? SE must be one of the dumbest publishers right now.

Hmm, it seemed like they were satisfied with it and it was making them a profit last time they talked about it. Still, DQ10 as an MMO was a very dumb idea. Should have been a regular DQ game launched on Wii U.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe they'll actually localize some of their games now. It's the only certain way to boost sales, SE!

Hard to believe we live in an age where a Fire Emblem is localized but multiple mainline DQ games aren't.

"hey let's make a MMORPG on the console with the worst online possible, this will be surely an hit"

Considering FFXI's success via PlayOnline, the Wii's archaic online might have been a breath of fresh air.

Will still play the shit out of this on WiiU if it comes to NA. Already have a static party ready to go. :)

Zee-Row

Banned
This game should of been on PS3 , By the time this game was announced Nintendo was already stopping support of the Wii.

Magpul

Banned
Further information to solidify the fact the Squeenix is totally out of touch with reality and has no idea how to respond to fan requests and market accordingly.

RangerBAD

Honestly, I was never on board with a DQ MMO. I felt it would take a lot of the sense of adventure away from it and make it into a chore. I know FF11 did well (I played it for 4 years), but it just doesn't seem like as good a fit and the economic climate wouldn't help either.

NeededSleep

I know they are desperately trying to find another game that gives revenue that FF11 did.

I wonder if this will tarnish the Dragon Quest name at all. nah doubt it..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you had asked me a year ago if a failed MMORPG could take down a company president, I would have told you of course.

Now it seems like a "Well, depends on who they know" answer.

The trick is to brush it off until investors forget what happened:

ealolzcum2.jpg

Alex

Hmm, it seemed like they were satisfied with it and it was making them a profit last time they talked about it. Still, DQ10 as an MMO was a very dumb idea. Should have been a regular DQ game launched on Wii U.

Not so sure they would have solved anything by launching on the Wii u except to help crutch Nintendo with their own losses.

It should have been a normal DQ game on the Wii or DS or if they were dead set on an MMO, then include PC and go worldwide. Still say they should throw it on the same ticket as FFXIV over here.

StuBurns

Banned
This game should of been on PS3 , By the time this game was announced Nintendo was already stopping support of the Wii.
I imagine they were thinking more about the Wii U ahead of release. You want to launch an MMO early is a system's life to make the most of the platform's viability, but you want to launch on a high install base for initial return. I think SE did the right thing.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is Dragon Quest X even a bad game? I don't think it being an MMO will tarnish its name but having bad gameplay like FF14 did when it launched would.

Zee-Row

Banned
How many failures is it going to take to get the shareholders to finally oust Wada? I find it messed up that Iwata is putting himself in the hot seat but its all rainbows and sunshine in Wada land.

Yuripaw

Banned
FFXI PS2 also performed significantly worse than DQX Wii (130k in the first year). Most of the FFXI subscriber base was on PC.

You can't blame that purely on lack of interest. Even when the game was released in Japan, the barrier for entry was so outragously high priced, that no wonder a lot of people didn't get it on PS2 at first. First of all, in Japan FFXI was sold separately from the required accessories. For the longest time, the PS2 HDD was sold from anywhere between $150-200, not to mention the game disc cost probably about $70-90...approx after converted. Then we had the cost of actually playing the game because of the monthly fee. Not to mention that the HDD was actually really hard to find for a long time in Japan too.

Fast forward to when the PS2 version was released in NA, Sony had sabotaged it by announcing the slim PS2 before it was even released in NA. Plus you had to have the network adapter already. Even though FFXI and the HDD were bundled in the states, it was still not an easy sell at $100. I personally thought it was a great deal considering how much it was going for in Japan, but most people may have not seen it that way. Especially with all the lacking reviews, because most game "journalists" at the time did not give the game a fair chance. It was a challenging MMO, and hardly one that most game journalists had the attention span to get into at all.

Once you got past all the hurdles though, I have no regrets from all the money, and hours I put into FFXI, because it was truly a great MMO. Filled with so much content, and a great community, and some of the most rewarding gameplay. You weren't handed everything on a silver platter like WoW, and every MMO since then. You had to talk with others, make new friends, and work hard to reap the benefits. Great game. Sadly it's not quite the same anymore because of them trying to make it more fast and easy to level up in recent years...but I love it for a good 8-9 years.

prwxv3

I do hope we get a single player focused DQ like 8. I liked 9 but the fact that there we no established characters with unique personalities really hurt my experience with that game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is kind of interesting. Even if it doesn't "hold up" over time, you figure it wouldn't take much to make it the most profitable DQ ever. I bet SE comes out soon and says they're perfectly fine with how the game is doing.

(If it is flailing, the Wii U version certainly isn't going to lead some miraculous comeback.)

Acosta

Considering FFXI's success via PlayOnline, the Wii's archaic online might have been a breath of fresh air.

Will still play the shit out of this on WiiU if it comes to NA. Already have a static party ready to go. :)

FF XI was released in 2002, it was a miracle it actually worked on PS2. And it didn't face so much competence like now. I share your feeling about wanting to play it.

Rocky said:
Still, its not a console exclusive MMO, like DQ is. Has there ever been a successful MMO that was console exclusive?

It was temporally exclusive for 6 months, good enough?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How many failures is it going to take to get the shareholders to finally oust Wada? I find it messed up that Iwata is putting himself in the hot seat but its all rainbows and sunshine in Wada land.

Investors have to feel that Wada's overall strategy is bad for him to get under pressure.

Their social/mobile/online business is performing well, and he's shifting resources toward that, so to at least some degree he seems competent to investors.

test_account

XP-39C²
Making it an MMO in 2013 really just goes to show how out of touch Square is on that stuff. Especially with their business model.
I dont think it is much of a problem being a MMO, but i think it might have been better if they made a PC SKU as well, not keeping it exclusive to the Wii.

Aeana

Certainly strange, because they did indeed claim that the game had already recouped development costs. The sales it achieved are amazing for an MMO in Japan, so the subscriber base must have tapered off immensely for this to suddenly be a big issue.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Certainly strange, because they did indeed claim that the game had already recouped development costs. The sales it achieved are amazing for an MMO in Japan, so the subscriber base must have tapered off immensely for this to suddenly be a big issue.

That's why I'm wondering what type of speculation this is.

AniHawk

it's almost as if releasing it as the last major game of a console's life and the first major game of another's was a poor decision.

NeededSleep

Id pay for DQX online mmo on vita >.>

Gonna be a real shame to see most of the talent that was SE being shifted to mobile.

StuBurns

Banned
I do hope we get a single player focused DQ like 8. I liked 9 but the fact that there we no established characters with unique personalities really hurt my experience with that game.
Indeed, but that seems very likely to me. They've done these two out of the norm, seems fitting to have a return to something traditional next time around. Hopefully it's Wii U, not 3DS.

Zee-Row

Banned
Investors have to feel that Wada's overall strategy is bad for him to get under pressure.

Their social/mobile/online business is performing well, and he's shifting resources toward that, so to at least some degree he seems competent to investors.

Man , thats not what i like to hear. I'm not a fan of their mobile games at all. Their original games have no life in them and feel like cheap Korean RPG games.

Aeana

it's almost as if releasing it as the last major game of a console's life and the first major game of another's was a poor decision.

I don't understand. The number of copies sold isn't the problem, so people bought it, they just aren't continuing to play it (presumably). So I'm not sure what that has to do with what you just said.

Sophia

To the surprise of nobody, a subscription based MMORPG in an era where subscription based games are failing, based off a franchise that's never had an MMO before, from a company who has a previous failure in the MMORPG market, is failing to meet expectations.

Is the actual quality of the game good? It seemed to get good reviews, but you never know how trustworthy those are regarding a Wii MMORPG.

I'd like to give it a try myself, but I'm almost certainly going to be waiting for the WiiU English release.

Famassu

Almost tanking both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in just one generation and still keeping your job: Wada-guy.
Isn't DQIX the best selling Dragon Quest ever? And DQX is already profitable, even though it has only been released in one region. If they ever release it on more than one platform worldwide (maybe PC in addition to WiiU) and it becomes even somewhat successful, it'll be everything but a flop. Plus like with Final Fantasy after XI, they will 200% surely go back to a non-MMO Dragon Quest with XI, so it's not like fans who don't care for MMOs have anything to bitch about.

To the surprise of nobody, a subscription based MMORPG in an era where subscription based games are failing, based off a franchise that's never had an MMO before, from a company who has a previous failure in the MMORPG market, is failing to meet expectations.
Final Fantasy had never had a MMO before XI either yet FFXI is the most profitable JRPG ever (and a good one at that).

Indeed, but that seems very likely to me. They've done these two out of the norm, seems fitting to have a return to something traditional next time around. Hopefully it's Wii U, not 3DS.

A game like DQ8 but without random battles is mouthwatering. Unfortunately DQXI will be on 3DS. There's really no way it won't.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

So this line I think?

同社は決算発表で昨年8月サービスを開始したオンラインRPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、「堅調に進捗している」とコメントしているが、オンラインシステムの運営負担がのしかかるうえ、期待されたほどの大ヒットにはつながっていない。

I don't understand. The number of copies sold isn't the problem, so people bought it, they just aren't continuing to play it (presumably). So I'm not sure what that has to do with what you just said.

Or maybe just kids kept playing it :p
Btw, the game charted during holidays in Japan, so it surely had some nice legs for being a MMORPG.

Top Bottom