• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations

2San

People are acting like the game is turning in a loss. It's just not meeting expectations. That has more to do with it being on the Wii which is on it last legs. The idea to release DQX as a console MMORPG was profitable.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
hmmm, since DQX and FF14 both not doing good..I guess Wada will not be on the top of the company any longer.

NeededSleep

I don't understand. The number of copies sold isn't the problem, so people bought it, they just aren't continuing to play it (presumably). So I'm not sure what that has to do with what you just said.

Do you know how often they give content patches to the game? I found FF11's biannually method quite annoying when i was playing. Curious to know if they are slow on content patches, which could be a reason people may be not be playing.

AniHawk

I don't understand. The number of copies sold isn't the problem, so people bought it, they just aren't continuing to play it (presumably). So I'm not sure what that has to do with what you just said.

people move on and get attached to new hardware and games. that game they bought in september isn't as cool as the new 3ds they got during the holidays, especially since that plays animal crossing.

Certainly strange, because they did indeed claim that the game had already recouped development costs. The sales it achieved are amazing for an MMO in Japan, so the subscriber base must have tapered off immensely for this to suddenly be a big issue.

I don't think SE expects to simply recoup its dev cost from the main entry in their most profitable franchise in the most profitable genre, with ff11 being their most lucrative ff.

If their expectations were based on that, they must have been quite high.

Investors have to feel that Wada's overall strategy is bad for him to get under pressure.

Their social/mobile/online business is performing well, and he's shifting resources toward that, so to at least some degree he seems competent to investors.
I think a big part of it also is being Fukushima's handpicked successor, and he owns nearly a third of the company. Wada probably gets a little more leeway thanks to that.

farnham

Banned
So this line I think?

同社は決算発表で昨年8月サービスを開始したオンラインRPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、「堅調に進捗している」とコメントしているが、オンラインシステムの運営負担がのしかかるうえ、期待されたほどの大ヒットにはつながっていない。
babel fish'd:
The company commented that the management of online "tribe of five Ki awakened Dragon Quest X" online RPG game which launched in August last year in earnings announcement, and "We are progressing steadily," the burden management of the online system not lead to the smash hit of about bear upon, was expected.

persona from the korean site ruliweb translates it like this:

동사는 결산 발표로 작년 8월 서비스를 개시한 온라인 RPG 게임 「드래곤 퀘스트 X 온라인」의 운영은 「견조하게 진척 하고 있다」라고 코멘트하고 있지만 온라인 시스템의 운영 부담이 더해지고 있고 기대한 정도의 대히트에는 연결되지 않았다.

(Square Enix) comments that "our company is progressing steadily with the Online RPG Dragon Quest X". However the online system bears management costs and it was not the expected Big hit.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...depth&searchValue=스퀘어&platformId=&pageIndex=1

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
동사는 결산 발표로 작년 8월 서비스를 개시한 온라인 RPG 게임 「드래곤 퀘스트 X 온라인」의 운영은 「견조하게 진척 하고 있다」라고 코멘트하고 있지만 온라인 시스템의 운영 부담이 더해지고 있고 기대한 정도의 대히트에는 연결되지 않았다.

(Square Enix) comments that "our company is progressing steadily with the Online RPG Dragon Quest X". However the online system bears management costs and it was not the expected Big hit.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/d...depth&searchValue=스퀘어&platformId=&pageIndex=1

Yeah this is basically how Aeana translated it too.

antonz

Just seems weird they hype how they already recovered their full investment and are in full profit mode on the game now. I would think things like Hitman going down to 20 bucks a week after launch and stabilizing around $25-29 is causing more issues than anything. When you release major titles and discount them right away that kills bottomline

SykoTech

Almost tanking both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in just one generation and still keeping your job: Wada-guy.

After the poor sales of DDD, might as well throw Kingdom Hearts in there as well.

"Tanking" may be a little bit harsh, but the franchise's potential has certainly been wasted this gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so whose expectations are we talkinga bout. MSNs expectations or Square Enix expectations? 400k userbase on wii seems to be quite good all things considering.

If management said it, it would be Square Enix's expectations.

This doesn't sound like an analysts' comments given there's no analyst in that statement.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think FF XI should count since it was on PC as well and that attributed to most of its success. Heck, it was released in NA on PC before PS2.

You must not know how many people play on Xbox 360 and PS2. There are so many players who play on PS2 in Japan that they got the expansion for it and the US didn't.

How odd - how could things turns around so dramatically and so quickly? The MMO market must be quite fragile for that to happen.

Kouriozan

It's strange because 2 months after the release they were happy about the sales/subscriptions.
I still hope it'll be announced for NA/EU.

I actually feel like they've kinda burnt their Dragon Quest brand.

While 9 was a commercial success, it strayed too far away from what their fans were expecting. Then 10 came over and trumped it even further.

I think 10 would have benefited better from being a spin-off.

Using Wii as a beta for the Wii U beta seemed like a bad idea.

Should have been Wii U exclusive from the beginning and released at end of 2013 or early 2014 after Nintendo's big titles hit and the console picked up steam.

fates

Certainly strange, because they did indeed claim that the game had already recouped development costs. The sales it achieved are amazing for an MMO in Japan, so the subscriber base must have tapered off immensely for this to suddenly be a big issue.

This is what I thought too, I recall the reports of servers being at capacity. What the heck happened?

Acosta

I don't believe this is true at all, the game is only playable on the fat PS2 models and these things got discounted almost a decade ago.

It came in April in Japan, it took 6 months to arrive for PC, and PS2 was hugely popular, while playing in PC was not. I'm pretty sure that PS2 was the most popular platform to play it until it arrived to USA (and it took a while, one year and half I think).

Aeana

Then they must have like zero effort into DQ7 because that game looks nowhere near as good. Storage space could also be a problem. 3DS is like, what, 4GB?

Umm... even assuming DQ8 could possibly be recreated exactly, I wouldn't expect Arte Piazza (the developer of DQ7 3DS) to be able to do it. Look toward Level-5's 3DS games to see what the developer who actually made DQ8 is able to do on the system.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Then they must have put zero effort into DQ7 because that game looks nowhere near as good. Storage space could also be a problem. 3DS is like, what, 4GB?

I think they just remade it in that style because that is what it originally kinda looked like (just, like, way worse), and it's a different developer.

Then again, look at the DQ6 DS remake. Lolz :\

Should have been Wii U exclusive from the beginning and released at end of 2013 or early 2014 after Nintendo's big titles hit and the console picked up steam.

I think they should have just made it a regular DQ game for the Wii U, exclusively. Nintendo would definitely prefer that as well.

Making it a MMO was so stupid, especially given the FFXIV debacle going on. You'd think Wada would get a fucking hint, that maybe they can't just repeat FFXI in the current market.

Here we go, courtesy of Aeana:

Or, effectively, not meeting expectations.
This also implies the subscriber base isn't decreasing though. So it's growing from 400k and thus still outperforming FFXI by a decent margin.

Then they must have put zero effort into DQ7 because that game looks nowhere near as good. Storage space could also be a problem. 3DS is like, what, 4GB?
DQ7 3DS looks better than DQ5 PS2, which is what you should actually be comparing it to.

farnham

Banned
If management said it, it would be Square Enix's expectations.

This doesn't sound like an analysts' comments given there's no analyst in that statement.

I asked my japanese wife and she interpreted it that only the part in the 「」 are from SE themselves which is:

「堅調に進捗している」

I think they should have just made it a regular DQ game for the Wii U, exclusively. Nintendo would definitely prefer that as well.

Making it a MMO was so stupid, especially given the FFXIV debacle going on. You'd think Wada would get a fucking hint, that maybe they can't just repeat FFXI in the current market.

It has 400k subscribers already. FF XI was the most succesful FF game after the disastrous 130k they sold for PS2 at launch. give it time.

it was made by the opoona devs. what did you expect?

RangerBAD

Investors have to feel that Wada's overall strategy is bad for him to get under pressure.

Their social/mobile/online business is performing well, and he's shifting resources toward that, so to at least some degree he seems competent to investors.

To me, it's pretty obvious that his strategies are not making the company money. Instead, they're losing money like no other generation.

Umm... even assuming DQ8 could possibly be recreated exactly, I wouldn't expect Arte Piazza (the developer of DQ7 3DS) to be able to do it. Look toward Level-5's 3DS games to see what the developer who actually made DQ8 is able to do on the system.

DQ8 HD would be easy money.

Aeana

Do you honestly think the sales potential on the Wii U is equal to or better than the potential on the Wii? Even after seeing how poorly the system is doing?

As has been said several times, the game actually sold very well on Wii. The problem is with keeping people playing, and I doubt that has as much to do with the platform as other things.

This also implies the subscriber base isn't decreasing though. So it's growing from 400k and thus still outperforming FFXI by a decent margin.

No it doesn't, that line isn't about the subscriber base. They're talking about the company.

I actually feel like they've kinda burnt their Dragon Quest brand.

While 9 was a commercial success, it strayed too far away from what their fans were expecting. Then 10 came over and trumped it even further.

I think 10 would have benefited better from being a spin-off.

They've burnt the brand? Dragon Quest is more popular than ever in both Japan and the West, sales-wise. This week, Dragon Quest VII has been released there, and nothing is pointing out a declining popularity.

Dragon Quest VII is still a remake. And it's also a HUGE game. Have you ever played it?

one_kill

Maybe some people are just waiting for the Wii U version? I know if a better iteration of the game is coming out, I'd wait for it instead of buying what I feel is the inferior version.

Does the Wii U version come alongside content we would generally consider to be expansion-like? New classes, new quests, maybe new areas, etc.?

If so, that might help. If not...they should probably get on that.

Aeana

Why? It didn't stop them from remaking the others.
He doesn't want to re-release a game unless it can be improved dramatically, which is why we get remakes and not re-releases. The anniversary collection is one of the only times that games were actually re-released in their original forms.

I actually don't think DQ8 is going to be touched for quite a while.

Top Bottom