• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Alextended said:
Lol? No, you should ask me if any title did good on Wii the day before DQX releases, that will certainly help your argument more. Wii fell out of the public eye now but it was still in the public eye when Donkey Kong Country Returns released, and Dragon Quest X itself won't be in the public eye?

DKCR didn't bring it back into the public eye because it hadn't completely vanished at that point like it has now.

Alextended said:
An issue that was as real on the DS.

Again, it's going to back to perceived value and what people who have the ability to pirate will be willing to pay for, and like I said before this is especially important for Wii games since they are running on some very dated hardware that unfairly diminishes their value in a lot of people's minds.

Alextended said:
Who's talking about western audiences, which represent a tiny minority of Dragon Quest sales? This discussion started when Aeana who you quoted discussed the Japanese sales.

Well to think consideration of them will no impact on the game whatsoever is just naive imo. Changing the game over to the 3DS has next to no chance of costing them a sale in Japan (unless you think DQ10 exclusivity on 3DS would do nothing for sales) and only stands to gain them worldwide.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ysiadmihi said:
DKCR didn't bring it back into the public eye because it hadn't completely vanished at that point like it has now.
Nice theory. Things changed so much in 4 months huh? Everyone's forgotten Wii in the mean time! DQX is hopeless.

Again, it's going to back to perceived value
Nice theory.

Changing the game over to the 3DS has next to no chance of costing them a sale in Japan (unless you think DQ10 exclusivity on 3DS would do nothing for sales) and only stands to gain them worldwide.
Nice theory. Guess the creators don't think it's as obvious as you do.

Cool, so your theories>anyone else's because you say so. Amazing.
Yeah, I said that? You're the one who has that attitude without ever explaining why. Just saying things are so and so. People value so and so. Wii forgotten so and so. Etc. I just reminded you these are theories and not facts as you present them, especially when you don't back them up with any evidence, yet ask me to pull evidence that can't exist out of my ass (like a Wii title that released after Cafe was announced and did good while being mainstream yet not casual mainstream because those don't count).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Your theories are great and everything, it's just that we have the creator of the game going on record every few months telling us the game is on one system. You'd think he'd know more about it than some message board yokel.

3DS would have to become some amazing sales juggernaut to pass the number of Wii's in Japan, let alone globally in the next year or two.

Boney

Banned
Man God said:
Your theories are great and everything, it's just that we have the creator of the game going on record every few months telling us the game is on one system. You'd think he'd know more about it than some message board yokel.

3DS would have to become some amazing sales juggernaut to pass the number of Wii's in Japan, let alone globally in the next year or two.
miss your hector avatar

:(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Boney said:
miss your hector avatar

:(

gweenmeanie.gif

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man God said:

You're right, but the game is still a long way off and constant reassurance by game developers and publishers isn't worth all that much these days. To believe they aren't monitoring the Wii's continual decline and considering jumping to a newer system just seems silly, I'm sorry.

Man God said:

While this is indeed true, it's known that the Wii's success isn't thanks to games like Dragon Quest. Otherwise 3rd parties would have been all over the thing.

Aeana

Ysiadmihi said:
You're right, but the game is still a long way off and constant reassurance by game developers and publishers isn't worth all that much these days. To believe they aren't monitoring the Wii's continual decline and considering jumping to a newer system just seems silly, I'm sorry.

While this is indeed true, it's known that the Wii's success isn't thanks to games like Dragon Quest. Otherwise 3rd parties would have been all over the thing.
It's a big mistake if you consider Dragon Quest to be in the same category as other third party games. This is the sort of thing I was getting at with my post on the last page.

Dragon Quest games don't sell to the same kinds of people as most games. A sizable chunk of Dragon Quest's fanbase is older people who don't play many other video games. It's really important to understand this. These people would likely actually not buy a new system for Dragon Quest, but probably do already have a Wii, or know someone who does. That's why the size of the userbase is the most important factor here.

ElFly

Dragon Quest VI was released a year after the Playstation was out.

Dragon Quest VII was released a few months after the Playstation 2 was out.

Pretty sure Horii doesn't give a fuck if the Wii successor is already announced or not.

joedick

Dragon Quest sells systems in Japan. Once the game is out people will 'remember' the Wii and those that don't have one will buy it. It will be huge.

rpmurphy

I'm already feeling a DQ drought so I'd rather not have to wait even longer just so it can release on the next Nintendo console. >:V

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
It's a big mistake if you consider Dragon Quest to be in the same category as other third party games. This is the sort of thing I was getting at with my post on the last page.

Dragon Quest games don't sell to the same kinds of people as most games. A sizable chunk of Dragon Quest's fanbase is older people who don't play many other video games. It's really important to understand this. These people would likely actually not buy a new system for Dragon Quest, but probably do already have a Wii, or know someone who does. That's why the size of the userbase is the most important factor here.
plus it has cute slimes

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm starting to wonder if they won't have an update conference around E3 time just so Nintendo can hype it to the west at E3.

They did a pretty fantastic job of advertising DQ IX and even a bit of residual good sales mojo extended to DQ VI.

ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, weren't 3rd party title sales still healthy in the PSX and PS2 era during the release of DQVII and DQVIII respectively?

Are Wii third party sales still healthy?
Relegating to 3rd party means little. Overall Wii software sales are still healthy in Japan, in fact so far this year it's sold more software than any system but PSP.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Aeana said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think they're different than people who don't play many (or any) video games, but bought a Wii just for something like Wii Fit? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not seeing anything to suggest they wouldn't buy a 3DS for a game. If they're a big enough fan of the series that it's the only reason they play games at all, purchasing a system for it hardly seems like a huge hurdle.

ElFly said:

Pretty sure Horii doesn't give a fuck if the Wii successor is already announced or not.

The SNES and Playstation were very different than the Wii at that point in their lives.

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm not seeing anything to suggest they wouldn't buy a 3DS for a game.

Some of them won't, which means they'll sell fewer copies of nonexistent hypothetical 3DS DQX than they will of actual Wii DQX. That's really the only particularly relevant factor here.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder if this game will have an online immigrant town.

Hell, the shitty but useful Pokémon Ranch had something kinda like it using the Wiiconnect 24 junk.

E3 2012 better show some stuff for the Wii! I know the Wii U is hype, but it would still garner some attention for Wii fans who are just not quite ready to jump ship yet...

Tron 2.0

Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
With DQX being a no show, anyone else think it was moved to Wii U?

I hope so.
No.

Warrior_Keoni said:
E3 2012 better show some stuff for the Wii! I know the Wii U is hype, but it would still garner some attention for Wii fans who are just not quite ready to jump ship yet...
No.

I hope so.

Horii once said that he chooses to put DQ games on systems with the biggest fanbase so that it's less likely that fans would have to go out and buy a new system to play it.

Vamphuntr

I hope so.

Why should SE reveal this at E3? TGS is the place to show it. I doubt they will move it to Wii U since the Wii userbase will be much more interesting that the Wii U userbase when the game will be ready to launch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I hope so.
Years end is now e3 ? really ?

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I don't think I could stomach Dragon Quest becoming a handheld RPG only series, DQ9 was good but it wasn't DQ8, which I found to be pretty damn amazing.

Still haven't completely finished off that one yet, going to have to man up, stop being a sissy and grind through the post game content.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Honestly, I think if Nintendo can convince Squeenix to put DQX on the WiiU as a launch or launch window game, the WiiU would pretty much entrench itself deeply in the core game audience. Add Nintendo's own software (plus other Japanese developers) and it could handily out-perform the Wii in terms of sales and developer interest. "Oh shit, they have a numbered Dragon Quest on the system? That pretty much guarantees us and audience!"

It would really be a boon to Nintendo in that arena, to have that sort of game so early on in the console lifecycle.

Yottamole

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I think not making it a launch title is a grave mistake. With the 3DS launch, my hopes for compelling software at Ninty's next launch are all but nil.
Mistake for Square Enix? Mistake for Nintendo? Dragon Warrior VII was published for PS1 after the PS2 was already released, and it sold 4 million copies.
Pyrokai said:
I'm still waiting for the day I have to import a Mario game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itadaki_Street#Itadaki_Street_DS

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can't believe there are people still disillusioned with the fact of Nintendo/Square Enix pushing DQ10 on to a new system "just because it'll sell systems" regardless of past practise with the franchise and many vocal fans on GAF reaffirming that fact.

btkadams

doomed1 said:
Honestly, I think if Nintendo can convince Squeenix to put DQX on the WiiU as a launch or launch window game, the WiiU would pretty much entrench itself deeply in the core game audience. Add Nintendo's own software (plus other Japanese developers) and it could handily out-perform the Wii in terms of sales and developer interest. "Oh shit, they have a numbered Dragon Quest on the system? That pretty much guarantees us and audience!"

It would really be a boon to Nintendo in that arena, to have that sort of game so early on in the console lifecycle.
not to sound like a downer, but people used to say that about gta, and final fantasy, and a bunch of other games. one game doesn't make a system.

speedpop said:
I can't believe there are people still disillusioned with the fact of Nintendo/Square Enix pushing DQ10 on to a new system "just because it'll sell systems" regardless of past practise with the franchise and many vocal fans on GAF reaffirming that fact.

Just like Skyward Sword on the Wii U, DQ X on the Wii U will be put down eventually.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
btkadams said:
not to sound like a downer, but people used to say that about gta, and final fantasy, and a bunch of other games. one game doesn't make a system.
Oh no, of course, not. A WiiU launch wouldn't live on DQX alone, but it would give the system a running start in Japan. I don't think it'll happen, I just think it would be a good idea for NCL to fund for their Japan launch. This really wouldn't work quite as well if the game came out for WiiU and slipped as far as 2013, but DQX for WiiU Japan launch would create a good deal of buzz and mindshare for the console and set it up for additional efforts looking to capitalize on the WiiU userbase.

mutsu

I stand by my prediction that it will still be a Wii game, but launched at the same time as Wii's successor (now named Wii U).

Terrell

We're really gonna have to wait for TGS to see how this pans out.
Cuz this is a whole new ball game... unless they have heavy amounts of art assets already in place, the game can be transitioned to Wii U quite easily since it uses the exact same controller and the exact same media type.

And those agreeing with ElFly, let's look at the facts:

ElFly said:
PlayStation was also rushed out the door by Sony, partly to capitalize on Saturn's really REALLY weak start and to beat Nintendo to launch (srsly, does NO ONE remember Sony's so-so launch lineup for PS1? Or how much developers were crying about the Saturn?), it used an entirely new type of storage media, and just porting an SNES game without enhancement to an unseasoned platform from a new entry into the console market (can't stress that enough) would have had fans saying "if it looks and plays exactly like an SNES game, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST RELEASE IT ON SNES??!?"

It made business sense to stick with SNES. Not the same scenario.

ElFly said:

Same scenario, fewer variables. Used an entirely new type of storage media, and just porting a PS1 game without enhancement to a system touted for graphics prowess would have had fans saying "if it looks and plays exactly like a PSX game, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST RELEASE IT ON SNES??!?" Also, we had seen ACTUAL FOOTAGE of DQVII before the PS2 launch. It was firmly well into development and too late to start from square one.

It made business sense to stick with PS1. Not the same scenario.

We have a DQ game that has never once been seen by the human eye. No character designs, no official title, not a single scrap of confirmation of its existence beyond a few words... who's to say that, as they were developing, Nintendo didn't go to the team and say "Hey Horii, wanna see something cool?" and he jumped for it because it was still early enough in the development cycle to do so? It's quite possible, Nintendo and Horii have been kinda buddy-buddy with Dragon Quest lately...

The variables for this situation are different than other late-blooming Dragon Quest games. And therefore the precedent that everyone is clinging to is invalidated.

Aeana

Terrell said:
We're really gonna have to wait for TGS to see how this pans out.
Cuz this is a whole new ball game... unless they have heavy amounts of art assets already in place, the game can be transitioned to Wii U quite easily since it uses the exact same controller and the exact same media type.
The game is almost done.
And I thought WiiU used new "iDensity" discs. Not that it really matters.

Terrell

Aeana said:
The game is almost done.
And I thought WiiU used new "iDensity" discs. Not that it really matters.
And we've seen NONE OF IT? I doubt that.
I'd bet design and story writing are done, yes, but without seeing anything visually (which in modern games is the longest part of most game productions), I'd bet we have a chance that it could go to Wii U, IF (and it's still a big if) Nintendo got to the team early enough to offer them the chance to switch platforms.
And the structural differences between a DVD and high-density disc isn't the same as cart to CD was.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, we haven't seen DQX so it's not been in development, they've just been trolling us. They're just about done with pre-production so they can make it for Wii U now!

The bulk of the DQ team has been on vacation two years now, they've just returned and are eager to work with HD grafix.

Also, to go with the sensible trend, which makes sense because money, DQX will show up on PSVita, PS3, 360, Wii U, Steam and iPad.

Aeana

Terrell said:
And we've seen NONE OF IT? I doubt that.
I'd bet design and story writing are done, yes, but without seeing anything visually (which in modern games is the longest part of most game productions), I'd bet we have a chance that it could go to Wii U, IF (and it's still a big if) Nintendo got to the team early enough to offer them the chance to switch platforms.
And the structural differences between a DVD and high-density disc isn't the same as cart to CD was.
I don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

New consoles have zero users. Horii wants to sell to a lot more than zero users. His entire mission is to reach as many people as he possibly can. Consoles take years to build up an install base. Ergo, a numbered Dragon Quest game will never hit early on in a console's life.

Arguing for the game to be put on PS3 or PSP instead makes more sense than arguing for WiiU.

Terrell

Alextended said:
Yeah, we haven't seen DQX so it's not been in development, they've just been trolling us. They're just about done with pre-production so they can make it for Wii U now!

The bulk of the DQ team has been on vacation two years now, they've just returned and are eager to work with HD grafix.

Also, to go with the sensible trend, which makes sense because money, DQX will show up on PSVita, PS3, 360, and Wii U.
I didn't say they've done NOTHING. I said they hadn't done enough to make scrapping and restarting the visuals no longer an option. Thanks for putting words in my mouth, though.

And no, not on vacation... they've been making DQ Monsters Joker 2 and Professional.

And how long of a wait between from first visuals released to the public to game release have we seen with past mainline DQ games? Gimme a ballpark from past examples.

Aeana said:
I don't understand what's so hard to understand about this.

New consoles have zero users. Horii wants to sell to a lot more than zero users. His entire mission is to reach as many people as he possibly can. Consoles take years to build up an install base. Ergo, a numbered Dragon Quest game will never hit early on in a console's life.

Arguing for the game to be put on PS3 or PSP instead makes more sense than arguing for WiiU.
Dragon Quest 5. Less than 2 years after SNES launch in Japan. They would have likely started development right after the SNES launch. So.... yeah................

Shirokun

mutsu said:
I stand by my prediction that it will still be a Wii game, but launched at the same time as Wii's successor (now named Wii U).

This is what I'm thinking as well. If Nintendo were smart, they would convince SE to include some sort of optional Wii U functionality in the game to sweeten things up a bit.

Top Bottom