• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

Bring back the DQVC. (And make it every bit as exploitable. ;)) That was one of my favorite additions to the series. Getting more shots at rare items is awesome.

Wouldn't mind some new Pachisi tracks as well.

farnham
Banned

Oops! Tell me when and where.

Ysiadmihi said:
Still hoping for a 3DS version. Had such a great time with DQ9.
I know! I still have Dragon Quest VI as my favorite RPG, but Dragon Quest IX was sooo much fun, especially because it's a portable game, I hope Dragon Quest XI is being planned to the 3DS. :)

Aeana

donny2112 said:
Nintendo should be pushing it outside of Japan, so it should definitely be coming out in English. Maybe I missed the sarcasm?
From The Dust said:
that's not even a good joke :p
Keep the faith. Maybe it will happen. I can say that it will have to be all on Nintendo, because SE has given up.

Besides, I thought the popular sentiment around here was that the Wii is dead and DQ10 will even bomb in Japan if it's released on it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm not surprised about this choice. Though I must say, after have played Blue Dragon on 360 for the first time just recently, I would be soooo pleased to see a Dragon Quest on PS3/360.

By the way, I'm in no way port begging right now >_<. Just wanted that to be clear.

Aeana said:
I don't mind having visible enemies, but they need to do it better. DQ9's method is not acceptable. They should look to Blue Dragon for the absolute perfect way to do visible symbol encounters in an RPG.
Blue Dragon had some kind of shitty stuff in that regard, too. Enemies dashing in to you off screen could be a problem if you were trying to get a Monster Fight going or were just trying to cool your heels for a bit.

Also it made it so the slope of the camera angle was always annoyingly locked.

Boney

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
farnham
Banned

Oops! Tell me when and where.

I know! I still have Dragon Quest VI as my favorite RPG, but Dragon Quest IX was sooo much fun, especially because it's a portable game, I hope Dragon Quest XI is being planned to the 3DS. :)
would love to know if it was perma, that would suck

Aeana said:
Keep the faith. Maybe it will happen. I can say that it will have to be all on Nintendo, because SE has given up.

Wait, do you seriously think Dragon Quest X is unlikely to make it out of Japan? If a mainline entry from such a major franchise is passed over, we'll have reached a new dark age of localization.

Aeana said:
Besides, I thought the popular sentiment around here was that the Wii is dead and DQ10 will even bomb in Japan if it's released on it.

I think the Wii is dying, but DQ will sell millions. that's different :p

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:
Blue Dragon had some kind of shitty stuff in that regard, too. Enemies dashing in to you off screen could be a problem if you were trying to get a Monster Fight going or were just trying to cool your heels for a bit.

Also it made it so the slope of the camera angle was always annoyingly locked.
I think that's a pretty minor problem. It should be fixed in a new implementation, certainly, but all in all it is the absolute best implementation of symbol encounters I've ever seen. It actually has a benefit over random encounters besides creating the illusion that you have a choice of what to fight. You get stat bonuses for linking enemies, monster fights let you exploit the behavior of monsters to your advantage, field skills let you manipulate battles in other ways.

The monsters in DQ9 still spawn randomly, and you can't even get a pre-emptive strike by attacking them from behind. It's a terrible implementation of visible enemies, and I'd rather have random battles over that.

donny2112

Aeana said:

In Japan? Wii is a dead system that can still still multi-million selling games of the right type. There is no other realistic alternative in Japan except the DS, which would take probably a full reboot to go back to. Still expect DQVIII numbers for DQX in Japan (i.e. ~3.5m LTD).

Outside of Japan, Wii's been crashing, but Wii's "crashing" is still selling on par/outselling the competition. :lol Nintendo was able to push 1.05m of DQIX outside of Japan. They're committed to Horii/SE for supporting DQX, and will be pushing it outside of Japan, too.

This one I'm pretty sure is sarcasm, but felt like addressing it, anyways. :p

Aeana

hosannainexcelsis said:
Wait, do you seriously think Dragon Quest X is unlikely to make it out of Japan? If a mainline entry from such a major franchise is passed over, we'll have reached a new dark age of localization.
I wouldn't say "unlikely." I think there is a very real chance that it won't, but more likely than not, Nintendo will try again. DQ9 was a decent success, after all, even if 6 wasn't.

Aeana

donny2112 said:
In Japan? Wii is a dead system that can still still multi-million selling games of the right type. There is no other realistic alternative in Japan except the DS, which would take probably a full reboot to go back to. Still expect DQVIII numbers for DQX in Japan (i.e. ~3.5m LTD).

Outside of Japan, Wii's been crashing, but Wii's "crashing" is still selling on par/outselling the competition. :lol Nintendo was able to push 1.05m of DQIX outside of Japan. They're committed to Horii/SE for supporting DQX, and will be pushing it outside of Japan, too.

This one I'm pretty sure is sarcasm, but felt like addressing it, anyways. :p
I am very confident in DQ10's ability to sell on Wii in Japan. You may have seen me trying to help people understand this in other threads. I'm just a little tired of seeing people say that they should port it to 3DS or Cafe or [another system with zero users] like that would somehow be better.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
For a game this big and the time it will be releasing shouldn't this be getting localized while in development? Simultaneous release is out of the question sure, but if they have their act together it oughta be 3-4 months wait max for a western release.

Vamphuntr

Really excited for this. Hopefully NOA will bring it here. I do wonder if it's going to be more like the older DQ games, more like DQ 9 or a mix of both. I really loved 9... I've put over 130 hours in it and even went to special events to acquire the special treasure maps. I also liked 4 and 5 a lot (6 is on my backlog). Hopefully we get details soon.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aeana said:
I am very confident in DQ10's ability to sell on Wii in Japan. You may have seen me trying to help people understand this in other threads. I'm just a little tired of seeing people say that they should port it to 3DS or Cafe or [another system with zero users] like that would somehow be better.
This is a reason why I avoid Gaming threads most of the time. The inability to understand how certain things function seems to go past a lot of peoples heads, and it tends to get magnified when it concerns Dragon Quest. The initial DQ9 to DS thread is a nice example of the idiocy that gets flown around.

Lindsay said:
For a game this big and the time it will be releasing shouldn't this be getting localized while in development? Simultaneous release is out of the question sure, but if they have their act together it oughta be 3-4 months wait max for a western release.
In an ideal world, yeah, but Dragon Quest has never been about glorious graphics that highlight a machine's power; try as they might a lot of RPG fans only play the games that are the prettiest and it's why we still have people in here wishing that Horii & co. would do a "next gen" release instead. Hence why the DQ remakes on the DS never flew off the shelves even though two of them (DQ4 & DQ5) are often held aloft as the best games in the series alongside DQ3. Unfortunately Western gamers can't seem to see past the 2D sprites and "basic archaic" gameplay.'

I'm hopeful that Nintendo touch the publishing rights again for overseas markets because DQ6 was up in the air for such a long time as to whether it would arrive or not. But there is still that apprehension that Nintendo will pass it over because they've done it before many times in the past.

randomkid

speedpop said:
try as they might a lot of RPG fans only play the games that are the prettiest and it's why we still have people in here wishing that Horii & co. would do a "next gen" release instead. Hence why the DQ remakes on the DS never flew off the shelves even though two of them (DQ4 & DQ5) are often held aloft as the best games in the series alongside DQ3. Unfortunately Western gamers can't seem to see past the 2D sprites and "basic archaic" gameplay.

I think you're right about why the DS remakes didn't sell but speaking for myself personally, it wasn't the 2D sprites that drew me away from them (I loved Rocket Slime). The remakes never sat well with me because they looked like DQ7, which means that monster animation aside, they looked worse than DQ6 on Super Famicom, which is the first Dragon Quest I ever played.

I know Dragon Quest in general isn't supposed to be about visuals, but my personal experience with the series was always with beautiful looking games that helped set the tone for the charming adventure ahead (DQ6, DQ8, Rocket Slime). DQ7 was the glaring exception. I won't bore you with the long roller coaster story I had with that game, but all I want to say is that as weird as it may sound, some of us do play Dragon Quest for the visuals and scenario, as opposed to those who prioritize speedy battles and customization systems.

For me, hearing that the Wii version will be like DQ8 is fantastic. Other people will miss DQ9's customization and grinding options, or the speediness of the DS remakes. For a series that's supposed to be so archaic and similar in each iteration, DQ games actually have quite a bit of variety to them in terms of structure and priorities. If you're trying to satisfy all DQ fans with each game, I think it's kind of a hard thread to needle.

Rpgmonkey

Blue Dragon's encounter system would be a good way of spicing up the Dragon Quest combat system a bit.

Plus it would be cool to see all the creatures roaming about a DQVIII-style world map.

Instro

Aeana said:

It wont have any problems selling on the Wii, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they ported it over to the Cafe after the Wii release. A version of it that runs at 1080p and some added online benefits or content or something could be a pretty decent draw if it showed up at launch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Would be nice if they took it a step further than 9 and just made combat take place where you meet the enemies rather than into a separate battle screen. I mean, most modern RPGs do this, right? Xenoblade, The Last Story and the like? Now sure, those also had an action focus, being able to move and what not, but surely it can be adapted to a turn based system also, just have your team quickly move in formation and in place when you get close enough to the enemies.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Aeana said:

Handheld>console. And if it has to be on console, it's better to be on Cafe than Wii. I'm not sure where the confusion is here.

Edit: Unless you're only talking about sales. Even then I still think it would sell more on 3DS/Cafe due to Wii piracy.

Instro said:
It wont have any problems selling on the Wii, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they ported it over to the Cafe after the Wii release. A version of it that runs at 1080p and some added online benefits or content or something could be a pretty decent draw if it showed up at launch.

except that never happened in the series lifetime. and I don't see any reason to believe it will happen now.

Alexios

Ysiadmihi said:
Handheld > console. And if it has to be on console, it's better to be on Cafe than Wii. I'm not sure where the confusion is here.
Uh? That's quite an opinion. Especially when you don't seem to be talking about sales in Japan yourself.

Edit: Unless you're only talking about sales.
The post you quoted starts so:
I am very confident in DQ10's ability to sell on Wii in Japan. You may have seen me trying to help people understand this in other threads.
So, yes, it was about sales. I'm not sure where the confusion is here ;)

Even then I still think it would sell more on 3DS/Cafe due to Wii piracy
Care to bring some relevant data that show this could be the case? What main Dragon Quest was a launch title and how did it do compared to main Dragon Quest titles that came much later in a system's life? Common sense would tell me the install base of neither the 3DS nor the Cafe will be enough to support the sales a main Dragon Quest title is normally capable of, but maybe there's some obvious fact that I'm missing here? That's not to say it will do as good on Wii as IX did on the DS (which has equal piracy issues to Wii, but Japan as a whole doesn't seem that hung up on such things, see the PSP, though big games sell in all regions), but it will certainly do millions. Cafe would meet supply issues before being able to satisfy demand even if we boldly assume every single Dragon Quest fan would easily purchase a system sooner rather than later...

Unless you're discussing a hypothetical future where DQX arrives somewhere in the middle of the 3DS and Cafe lifetime, and neither of these systems has any of the issues Wii faced. That's quite a big "if" though, and in that case there's still no reason not to bring X out as intended, as surely no matter what how well or not as well it will do on Wii it's better to have that than nothing whatsoever for a couple or more years more until the Cafe and 3DS can support such a title...

Alextended said:
Would be nice if they took it a step further than 9 and just made combat take place where you meet the enemies rather than into a separate battle screen. I mean, most modern RPGs do this, right? Xenoblade, The Last Story and the like? Now sure, those also had an action focus, being able to move and what not, but surely it can be adapted to a turn based system also, just have your team quickly move in formation and in place when you get close enough to the enemies.

Transitions add a ton to the atmosphere. DQ is the only one that has it left. Don't take that away from me too :(

Alexios

cosmicblizzard said:
Transitions add a ton to the atmosphere.
Eh, I disagree... The camera could still do fancy tricks and your party yell a line or do a fancy move while getting in position without a transition. What does an actual screen transition add, other than disconnect the two modes, exploration and combat, which to me is the opposite of atmospheric...

Instro

From The Dust said:
except that never happened in the series lifetime. and I don't see any reason to believe it will happen now.

I never said it would happen, Im just saying I wouldn't mind if it did.

LaneDS

Big One said:
Yeah Wii piracy sure hurt the sales of NSMBWii

Not to get into a piracy debate, but just because a game sold a ton of copies does not mean it also wasn't pirated a ton too.

Alexios

LaneDS said:
Not to get into a piracy debate, but just because a game sold a ton of copies does not mean it also wasn't pirated a ton too.
Same goes for DQIX, it's not exactly more difficult to pirate DS games... Anyway, it at least shows there's enough of a buying audience that their job is to convince to buy their title, like on pretty much every system.

Alextended said:
Eh, I disagree... The camera could still do fancy tricks and your party yell a line or do a fancy move while getting in position without a transition. What does an actual screen transition add, other than disconnect the two modes, exploration and combat, which to me is the opposite of atmospheric...

Fine, compromise. We keep transitions for boss fights. How about that?

Alexios

cosmicblizzard said:
Fine, compromise. We keep transitions for boss fights. How about that?
I don't really care either way, I'd like to see them gone but I won't be sad if they're in every single fight either, I just don't understand how the transition is atmospheric.

There was a question in that post though I didn't word it so well.

Baki

Ideally it should be out before Wii 2 and they should look into making it compatible with Wii 2 (perhaps an early system seller).

Yottamole

Banned
Baki said:
Ideally it should be out before Wii 2 and they should look into making it compatible with Wii 2 (perhaps an early system seller).
That's what they did with DQ7 right? Didn't Enix delay the release of DQ7 in Japan just so it could have perfect compatibility with PS2?

Alexios

Was there any chance it wouldn't work? I thought the PS2 was 100% backwards compatible? Cafe probably will be too, like the Wii was, I don't think they'll need to change the game to achieve this? Though I guess if it's done via some kind of emulation this time then Nintendo may want to ensure such big titles work first, but that's the Cafe end again, not something the game should have to change? Or even could change?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Alextended said:
Care to bring some relevant data that show this could be the case? What main Dragon Quest was a launch title and how did it do compared to main Dragon Quest titles that came much later in a system's life? Common sense would tell me the install base of neither the 3DS nor the Cafe will be enough to support the sales a main Dragon Quest title is normally capable of, but maybe there's some obvious fact that I'm missing here? That's not to say it will do as good on Wii as IX did on the DS (which has equal piracy issues to Wii, but Japan as a whole doesn't seem that hung up on such things, see the PSP), but it will certainly do millions. Cafe would meet supply issues before being able to satisfy demand even if we boldly assume every single Dragon Quest fan would easily purchase a system sooner rather than later...

I'm not sure why you think the 3DS wouldn't have a large enough install base by the time DQ10 launches. Cafe, of course, I can agree with, and it's why I'd much rather see it on 3DS given a choice between the two.

In any case, DQ10 can sell systems in Japan so it's a non-issue, and taking a Wii version out of the equation gets rid of not only widespread piracy but also possibly killing any interest western audiences would have in the game. There's just no benefit in, at the very least, keeping the game a Wii exclusive.

Big One said:
Yeah Wii piracy sure hurt the sales of NSMBWii

Completely different games bought for completely different reasons.

Alexios

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm not sure why you think the 3DS wouldn't have a large enough install base by the time DQ10 launches.
Why do you think it will? How many millions do you think will own it by then? What makes you think it will be the same audience that buys Dragon Quest?

In any case, DQ10 can sell systems in Japan so it's a non-issue
That's an assumption. Yes, it can sell some systems, maybe many, because it's popular, but is every Dragon Quest fan willing to be an early adopter of a system? If the creators thought so then I think they'd have at least tried to make it a launch window title for systems in the past, and first parties would have been more convincing when persuading them for such deals also. Maybe this way they maximise the actual brand new and full price sales versus later budget or used purchases, among other things.

There's just no benefit in, at the very least, keeping the game _______ exclusive.
Hell, why is DQIX a DS exclusive and not also on PSP, or also on Wii like that Crystal Chronicles game? Surely all that would be extra sales. So, yeah, you could say that for pretty much every game out there, but many of course remain exclusive, not just first party titles. Why single this out just because it's on Wii? There are reasons for publishers to do such things. Cafe is likely backwards compatible so you could easily say there's no benefit in making a different boxed release for it, but of course there can be arguments for saying it can sell more Cafe specific copies if it has Cafe's branding to make it more clear it works on it and to ride its coattails.

Completely different games bought for completely different reasons.
Not sure how this addresses the piracy talk at all. And as said before, DS was just as piratable as Wii, yet DQIX did just fine too. Why would DQX be harmed more?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Alextended said:
Why do you think it will? How many millions do you think will own it by then? What makes you think it will be the same audience that buys Dragon Quest?
---
That's an assumption. Yes, it can sell some systems, maybe many, because it's popular, but is every Dragon Quest fan willing to be an early adopter of a system? If the creators thought so then I think they'd have at least tried to make it a launch window title for systems in the past, and first parties would have been more convincing also.

Yes it is an assumption, but a very safe one. It's also an assumption to say that because DQ9 sold on the DS in spite of piracy, DQ10 can do the same on the Wii.

For the record, I'm not saying DQ10 has any chance of bombing on the Wii, but it's a given it will sell less than it would on 3DS.

Alextended said:
Hell, why is DQIX a DS exclusive and not also on PSP, or also on Wii like the Crystal Chronicles game? You could say that theory for pretty much every game out there, but many of course remain exclusive, not just first party titles. There are reasons for publishers to do this. Cafe is likely backwards compatible so you could easily say there's no benefit in making a different boxed release for it, but of course there can be arguments for saying it can sell more Cafe specific copies if it has Cafe's branding to make it more clear.

The obvious difference here is that DQ9 is on DS and DQ10 will be on the Wii.

Alextended said:
Not sure how this addresses the piracy talk at all.

For the same reason that while console piracy is possible (and becoming more widespread), it's much more of a problem on PC. Different audiences with varying degrees of knowledge on how piracy works.

Alextended said:
And as said before, DS was just as piratable as Wii, yet DQIX did just fine too. Why would DQX be harmed more?

Because a Wii game released in 2012(?) will have a much lower perceived value than a DS game released in 2009. Wii games have suffered from this since launch and it's not going to get better when the system is on fumes.

Alextended said:
I don't really care either way, I'd like to see them gone but I won't be sad if they're in every single fight either, I just don't understand how the transition is atmospheric.

There was a question in that post though I didn't word it so well.

Well it's more about boss fights. Getting an epic villain monologue then have the camera zoom in on his/her face as the screen breaks like glass is badass as hell imo. With normal battles, it isn't as important to me.

Alexios

For the record, I'm not saying DQ10 has any chance of bombing on the Wii, but it's a given it will sell less than it would on 3DS.
How is this a given? What if 3DS continues its downward spiral? What then? You're just guessing that it will pick up pace and exceed the Wii like the DS exceeded the Wii, and assuming it will do it fast enough too. This is far from a given. It may happen, it may not. Currently it's not set in stone, and of course, Dragon Quest X doesn't start development now, it started development years ago, and is nearing completion. Dragon Quest X could not have been developed for 3DS and release when it will release. MAYBE it can be ported, if they feel it's worth the trouble. The next Dragon Quest can be developed for 3DS but we'll see how the generation goes.

The obvious difference here is that DQ9 is on DS and DQ10 will be on the Wii.
That doesn't really address anything I said there meaningfully.

Because a Wii game released in 2012(?) will have a much lower perceived value than a DS game released in 2009. Wii games have suffered from this since launch and it's not going to get better when the system is on fumes.
Even recent games did fine on Wii. The Wii itself loses value when it doesn't get more games, games that appeal to people don't seem to. And you say Dragon Quest X has the power to be a system seller, yet you think not as many people will buy it for a system they already have because they somehow think it's less value? Also, by that thinking, a Wii title in 2012(?) will have more value than the only real alternative they had for DQX, ie, a DS title in 2012(?). Otherwise it can be a 3DS title in 2015 or later.

Aeana

I think the first step to understanding why DQ10 will be successful where it is is to understand what Dragon Quest's audience is like in Japan. Once you understand that, you will understand why what matters the most is whether people already have the system or not, and that is why Dragon Quest games go to the systems they go to.

thanks

hosannainexcelsis said:

I agree with this.

Will be interesting to see if Nintendo backs X nearly as much as it did IX.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Alextended said:
Even recent games did fine on Wii.

Have any games sold well after the Wii's recent major drop in sales and fall out of the public eye that was so bad that Nintendo had to start giving out details for Cafe?

Alextended said:
And you say Dragon Quest X has the power to be a system seller, yet people won't buy it for a system they already have because they somehow think it's less value? The Wii itself loses value when it doesn't get more games, games that appeal to people don't seem to.

This is ignoring the piracy issue and the fact that western audiences especially will be less likely to buy the game if it's on Wii.

Alexios

Ysiadmihi said:
Have any games sold well after the Wii's recent major drop in sales and fall out of the public eye that was so bad that Nintendo had to start giving out details for Cafe?
Lol? No, you should ask me if any title did good on Wii the week before DQX releases, that will certainly help your argument more. Wii fell out of the public eye now but it was still in the public eye when titles like Donkey Kong Country Returns released, and Dragon Quest X won't be enough to bring itself in the public eye?

This is ignoring the piracy issue
No, you ignore that issue was just as real on the DS.

that western audiences especially will be less likely to buy the game if it's on Wii.
Who's talking about western audiences, which represent a tiny minority of Dragon Quest sales? This discussion started when Aeana who you quoted discussed the Japanese sales.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Piracy was huge on the PSX and PS2 before it, didn't stop them from having DQ games.

Being late in a system's life doesn't seem to matter much either.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, weren't 3rd party title sales still healthy in the PSX and PS2 era during the release of DQVII and DQVIII respectively?

Are Wii third party sales still healthy?

thanks

The Wii has an extremely large installed user base. Why are people suggesting it won't sell ridiculous amounts in Japan just because there is a slump in Wii hardware sales? It wouldn't surprise me if X sold huge amounts like every Dragon Quest game before it. I see nothing to indicate that X will be different.

Boney

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, weren't 3rd party title sales still healthy in the PSX and PS2 era during the release of DQVII and DQVIII respectively?

Yes.

No.

Shouldn't really matter.

carlo6529

I know it has been mentioned already and people have been like "your crazy" and such, but if Nintendo was smart, they would do whatever they could to get a Cafe version of this.

thanks

ULTROS! said:

This is a good point as I believe they were, at least from my somewhat decent memory.

I'm not sure about Wii third party sales, but I was only speaking from the opinion that Dragon Quest seems to be immune from most obstacles that would hinder another IP's sales.

Top Bottom