• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

Clott said:
Wii II is being passed round? That's great news, if they are going to take another year they might as well release it there. The good thing you can take away from this long dev cycle is the game is probably huge, like VIII, I just hope it's less grindy, that's the reason I couldn't stick to finishing it and avoided IX.

They aren't. Click the link. The site is just speculating, Horii never said anything like that.

Btw I wish SE would make another shipment of DQV DS...it's too expensive :|

Electivirus said:
Trust me, if I had the cash, I'd get all four. VIII, especially. I've been hankering for another good console RPG for a few months now, and I've heard some pretty great things about VIII in particular.
Well, you should be able to find IV for cheap nowadays and it's a fantastic game (I prefer it to VIII).

If nintendo was smart they would convince squarenix to delay this title for the launch of their new system.

that would be a sick way to gaurantee big sales.

problem would be the install base.. so squarenix wouldn't want to unless nintendo gave them gauranteed money to compensate for the lack of user base.

interest in Wii is dwindling.. the issue i have with Dq10 being on wii is it wouldn't be a massive graphical upgrade from the ps2's DQ8

Id like to see something amazing on a new console. Oh well

edwardslane said:
If nintendo was smart they would convince squarenix to delay this title for the launch of their new system.

that would be a sick way to gaurantee big sales.

problem would be the install base.. so squarenix wouldn't want to unless nintendo gave them gauranteed money to compensate for the lack of user base.

interest in Wii is dwindling.. the issue i have with Dq10 being on wii is it wouldn't be a massive graphical upgrade from the ps2's DQ8

Id like to see something amazing on a new console. Oh well
The obvious choice here is to release it on Wii during or shortly after Super Wii's launch. That worked out pretty well for DQVII.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder if they'd do something more unique with the setting? Surely it's about time? How about some Skies of Arcadia inspiration?

ghibli99

lunchwithyuzo said:
The obvious choice here is to release it on Wii during or shortly after Super Wii's launch. That worked out pretty well for DQVII.
The problem is that, unless I'm mistaken, that only held true for the Japanese market. The same approach would probably mean failure (relatively speaking) outside of Japan, especially with there being such a long time now between 6 and 10... longer if 9 was the last one people played. I'll buy it on whatever whenever - as I know a lot of folks here will - but in terms of attracting a wider audience? It's a missed opportunity. I'll be telling everyone I know about it, though, so at least there's that. :)

farnham

Banned
Alextended said:
I wonder if they'd do something more unique with the setting? Surely it's about time? How about some Skies of Arcadia inspiration?
isnt DQ IV through VI and IX kinda sky related with the zenithians and all?

Alexios

Yea but you don't get to fly around on a ship visiting sky islands, do you? Just move between that city in the sky and then the normal world at best? I don't know, I've never played the franchise much, it seemed too old school and slow paced for me, although I played a bit of IX on a friend's DS and it's much faster paced and fun. The others seemed to have a similar setting from what I had seen though.

Aeana

Alextended said:
Yea but you don't get to fly around on a ship visiting sky islands, do you? Just move between worlds at best? I've never played the franchise much, it seemed too old school and slow paced for me, although I played a bit of IX on a friend's DS and it's much faster paced and fun.
The DS remakes of 4-6 are like three times as fast as 9.

Alexios

That's cool but I don't have a DS... And I'm torn between 3DS and NGP because I have a broken screen PSP with games I still want to play...

So what does everyone expect from this game: a Dragon Quest IX experience on consoles or something more of a throwback to the old games, specifically DQV8. Personally, DQ8 was one of my favorite RPGs of all time and I'd love to see a follow up.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You didn't read the OP where Horii stated that it would be an experience more comparable to dq8 than dq9 .....

And yes I expected news from this bump :-/

Loto

AranhaHunter said:
I'm gonna ask this again, does anybody have the magazine and the whole interview? I would like to know what else he says.
I think it's in the new NIntendo Power. Let me check when I get home.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Alextended said:
That's cool but I don't have a DS... And I'm torn between 3DS and NGP because I have a broken screen PSP with games I still want to play...
Buy a 3DS > Buy Dragon Quest 4-6 > ???? > Enjoyment.

Ashodin

madara said:
Could not be more thirsty for DQ8 like epic adventure rpg. Barren desert if you ask me.
ohhhh fuuuUCCKKK yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

12469640363NaT20.jpg

speedpop

It's not as if the differences in overworld perspective is going to change the core gameplay of Dragon Quest anyway. You'll still come across the same small hidden areas, the same caverns to explore with multiple paths, the same moment of "holy fuck!" when coming across a monster on a piece of land you should not have explored.

I just hope the battles are as quick as they always have been. DQ8 can become a bore when a random battle lasts much longer than it should.

Link Man

Banned
I do hope that the game will allow for deep character customization; that's one of the things I loved about IX. Oh, and visible equipment.

ghibli99

speedpop said:
I just hope the battles are as quick as they always have been. DQ8 can become a bore when a random battle lasts much longer than it should.
I agree. While I love the rapid pace of 1-7's combat, I think 9 struck just the right balance of speed and presentation. Having that again in 10 would be perfectly fine with me!

Didn't think this was important enough for a new thread. Looks like Sugiyama, the composer also implied they want the game out next year.

Now an anime site called Animeanime has delivered a more complete report from the event. According to the site, Sugiyama made mention of Dragon Quest X during a mid concert talk session. Said Sugiyama, "I'm currently making Dragon Quest X's music with the aim of next year." He added that he's working hard as he'd like for it to be finished next year, although it's unclear if this is in reference to just the music part or the game as a whole.

delayed for Cafe!!! :O
lol, not happening

I hope this game changes up the gameplay. I couldn't get into 8 because of its tedious, archaic, boring-ass combat. which is a shame because it had the best overworld I ever played

Orayn

Dragon Quest games have such strange, opaque development cycles. From a Western developer, this kind of thing would just scream vaporware, but this isn't exactly a series whose future is in question. I dunno, just kind of odd.

BlueWord

I'm really hoping they retain the character customization aspects of DQIX. I believe they said they were really happy with that particular bit, appearance and armor customization. It also added quite a bit to the game, I think.

Also hoping for a less orthodox story-telling approach. DQVIII and DQIX were pretty standard within the story conventions of DQ; maybe something more like DQIV for DQV, where you play through separate chapters or the game covers larger expanses of time.

BlueWord

From The Dust said:
if it's anything like 8, then I won't be buying :\

Welcome to Dragon Quest.

DQIX did away with random battles, which I figure they'll be retaining. Maybe that would make it more palatable?

Big One said:
Really hope Level 5 is making it.

They were named the developer in the initial announcement, and I've never seen any hint to the contrary. After the mega-success of 8 and 9, it only makes sense to stick with Level 5.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Making the battle system action based would not be any kind of automatic improvement, if they made it a hack-n-slash it'd be even more boring.

Aeana

It isn't going to be an action RPG.
It is going to be more like 8 than 9, Horii has said as much.

It's okay if you don't like Dragon Quest, guys. Maybe it won't even come out in English.

Johnnyboy117 said:
They were named the developer in the initial announcement, and I've never seen any hint to the contrary. After the mega-success of 8 and 9, it only makes sense to stick with Level 5.
No developer was named at the announcement.

Big One

Banned
I think DQX could possibly get away with being a non-ATB version of FF12 and just keep it turn-based but so fast you don't even notice. Movement on the battlefield would be pretty complimentary to this especially if it's far more fluid than the usual JRPG.

Ah, you're right! I could have sworn L5 was mentioned, but I found the old news stories and indeed they were not named. Still, it seems likely.

Aeana

The only reason DQ9 was an action RPG to begin with is because Horii thought it would lend itself to multiplayer better. But after the prototype became advanced, and he actually tried playing it, he realized that it wasn't fun and it didn't feel like Dragon Quest to him.

donny2112

cosmicblizzard said:
Didn't think this was important enough for a new thread. Looks like Sugiyama, the composer also implied they want the game out next year.

Already mentioned in the MC thread, but it works here, too. :)

I hope they 1) keep the DQIX non-random battle system (like being able to pick what enemy I fight, when looking for a specific enemy) and 2) have some references back to DQIX (I want to see Brigadoom be brought back by that group in Stornway).

Aeana said:
It's okay if you don't like Dragon Quest, guys. Maybe it won't even come out in English.

Nintendo should be pushing it outside of Japan, so it should definitely be coming out in English.
Maybe I missed the sarcasm?

speedpop

As long as the big three are still creating Dragon Quest together, I don't care who is tagged to do the grunt work or how it is played.

Aeana

I don't mind having visible enemies, but they need to do it better. DQ9's method is not acceptable. They should look to Blue Dragon for the absolute perfect way to do visible symbol encounters in an RPG.

Top Bottom