• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

farnham

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
No intelligent person thinks, or has in the past year believed that DQX had even a chance of being switched to PS3.
out of all port options

ps3 makes the least sense

its half of the wii userbase and its not like its selling crazy wii 2006 to 2007 numbers either

psp makes sense as the wii userbase is similar to the psp userbase in size and the psp userbase is a bit more active in software purchasing. also a wii build could be ported over to the psp easily.

ds makes sense as the ds userbase is insane and dq9 already did great numbers.

3ds, wii 2... nah as they dont have the userbase

farnham said:
out of all port options

ps3 makes the least sense

its half of the wii userbase and its not like its selling crazy wii 2006 to 2007 numbers either

psp makes sense as the wii userbase is similar to the psp userbase in size and the psp userbase is a bit more active in software purchasing. also a wii build could be ported over to the psp easily.

ds makes sense as the ds userbase is insane and dq9 already did great numbers.

3ds, wii 2... nah as they dont have the userbase
While the userbase on the psp may be purchasing more software in japan, the west is a different story. Compared to the wii the psp is dead in the water in the west. As evidenced by dq8 and dq9 western sales are very important factors that square enix is trying to improve on. Also the psp succesor will be around for a while by the time it hit even further lowering its sales in the west. So perhaps in japan it may make sense but worldwide wii is the best option. Also as stated wii still has a bigger userbase. Also there is still alot of wii units sold in japan and there is still a huge loyal dq fanbase that will go to any platform . So there may be some additional sales in psp. I don't think its a big enough difference to make up for the cost of porting it to the psp.

Is the PSP base purchasing more software in Japan? I was under the impression that lifetime software totals between PSP and Wii were basically even, despite Wii being released 2 years later and having around 5 million fewer sysyems sold? Someone have the numbers handy?

Aeana

thebagofsand said:
Really hope it has some form of multiplayer. Dragon Quest IX co-op was the most fun I'd ever had in a game.
Unlikely, honestly. Remote multiplayer isn't particularly huge in Japan.

ghibli99

EDarkness said:
It's a Wii game, you shouldn't be surprised.
What's funny is that I'm looking over at my game shelves and I have more Wii games than I do the other consoles. Sin & Punishment, Muramasa, SMG 1 & 2, NSMB, Klonoa, Epic Yarn, DKCR, etc. I don't know why the system gets dumped on when it has some really good games/exclusives on there. Actually, it's easy to see why when you visit a local retailer like Best Buy. My wife and I couldn't believe how many POS games there were for the Nintendo systems compared to the PS3/360, although those have their fair share of junk, too.

Aeana said:
Funny to look back on that. :)

I think Square Enix would be crazy not to release DQX on the Wii. System sales might be dropping but this has no effect on the multimillion selling games which will always draw attention if the userbase is there, "active" or not.

ghibli99 said:
What's funny is that I'm looking over at my game shelves and I have more Wii games than I do the other consoles. Sin & Punishment, Muramasa, SMG 1 & 2, NSMB, Klonoa, Epic Yarn, DKCR, etc. I don't know why the system gets dumped on when it has some really good games/exclusives on there. Actually, it's easy to see why when you visit a local retailer like Best Buy. My wife and I couldn't believe how many POS games there were for the Nintendo systems compared to the PS3/360, although those have their fair share of junk, too.

Funny to look back on that. :)
As I see it the Wii has a small library of really great games, but for GAFfers who go through dozens of games a year that library isn't large enough, and its relative size becomes apparent when compared to the 360 and PS3. I, on the other hand have around 10 Wii games that I generally value above all of my games on the PS3 with an exception or two because I only buy a few games a year. To each his own, though.

rpmurphy

Aeana said:
Unlikely, honestly. Remote multiplayer isn't particularly huge in Japan.
Do you think if they did do some sort of online MP component in DQX though, that it would help since DQ being massive and all? Could it hurt the game?

ghibli99

Kilgore Trout said:
As I see it the Wii has a small library of really great games, but for GAFfers who go through dozens of games a year that library isn't large enough, and its relative size becomes apparent when compared to the 360 and PS3. I, on the other hand have around 10 Wii games that I generally value above all of my games on the PS3 with an exception or two because I only buy a few games a year. To each his own, though.
The 360 was my first of the current generation of systems, yet I have the fewest games for it. I couldn't live without it, though, since that's where I play all my shmups. It's crazy how it's become the modern-day Saturn/Dreamcast for that genre. I look at my PS3 library and think, "Damn, that's a lot of 3rd-person action games." :) My Wii library is pretty varied... core, casual, and lots of games that really speak to my gaming roots, which is what Nintendo has always excelled at.

Anyway, getting back on topic, whenever we do get DQ10, I'll be there day one. It is, after all, my favorite RPG series of all time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kilgore Trout said:
DKCR has sold more than any PS3 game in Japan (besides FFXIII) during the console's entire lifetime, not just recently.
Indeed, i know, but recently there hasnt been any PS3 games released that are popular enough to sell close to a million copies. Maybe some of these franchises could pull these numbers years ago, but not in these days. But the arguement started if there is a PS3 or a Wii market in Japan. In these days, both with software support and hardware sales, the PS3 is doing it better in Japan compared to the Wii, so i just wanted to comment on that :) But regardless of that, DQX will come to the Wii and it will most likely sell millions of copies, so Wii games can still sell a good amount of copies indeed.

MYE

What are the chances of that DQ Monster Road Victory card battle thingy coming over to PALand and US before X?

I want that game :(

ntropy

test_account said:
Indeed, i know, but recently there hasnt been any PS3 games released that are popular enough to sell close to a million copies. Maybe some of these franchises could pull these numbers years ago, but not in these days. But the arguement started if there is a PS3 or a Wii market in Japan. In these days, both with software support and hardware sales, the PS3 is doing it better in Japan compared to the Wii, so i just wanted to comment on that :) But regardless of that, DQX will come to the Wii and it will most likely sell millions of copies, so Wii games can still sell a good amount of copies indeed.
Gran Turismo

squall211

justchris said:
I just finished DQVI two days ago, so I'm ready for more DQ anytime you want to lay some on me Horii.

In the last year I beat IV, V, VI, VII and IX. I can't wait for X. I'd also love remakes/enhanced ports of I-III & VII for the 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
ntropy said:
Gran Turismo
I was thinking more about the last 2-3 months or so, but 5 months can also be defined as "recently" indeed. If we go back about 5 months, GT5 had a chance of selling close to a million based on previous sales in the serie, that is true.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
I was thinking more about the last 2-3 months or so, but 5 months can also be defined as "recently" indeed. If we go back about 5 months, GT5 had a chance of selling close to a million based on previous sales in the serie, that is true.
wasnt DKCR and GT5 released roughly at the same time ?

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
wasnt DKCR and GT5 released roughly at the same time ?
Yes indeed, i think GT5 got released about 2 weeks before DKCR. But in afterthought, i guess it can be discussed exactly how big of a chance GT5 had to sell close to a million copies. The serie has seen sales decline over the last 10 years and GT5: Prologue didnt exactly set the sales chart on fire (although the PS3 was more expencive back then). And several of these bigger franchies (Winning Eleven, Biohazard etc.) have seen decline in sales. But based on previous sales of the main GT games (besides the PSP version), i agree that GT5 might at least had a chance to sell close to 1 million copies.

EDIT: But i dont really mean to discuss which games that does better than the other, or trying to make excuses for why some games havnt sold THAT well. The source of the arguement (the way i understood it) was that the Wii isnt selling that much in Japan now and the PS3 is doing it better, so that this might affect the sales of DQX. Then people mentioned that some Wii games had some more than every other PS3 game (except FFXIII). But i still think that the PS3 market in these days is bigger than the Wii market in Japan. And besides Gran Turismo, there havnt really been any "close to a million copies sold" franchises released on the PS3 recently. I just wanted to comment on that. But in afterthough i guess that people maybe mention this to show that Wii software could still sell well depending on which game it is, and that is true indeed.

But all this aside, as i wrote in a previous post here, i still think that DQX will sell millions of copies, so i dont think that it matters that much which system that is selling most hardware and seeing most software support at this moment =)

zlatko

Banned
Just another game to lead me towards buying a Wii again.

This, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Zelda, and Monster Hunter Tri. Unfortunately, until the USA gets a confirmation on the Last Story I'm going to probably pass on the other awesome games... they are the icing on the cake for me.

I hope at E3 Nintendo announces another Wii price drop, The Last Story for USA 2011 winter release, and maybe a Last Story bundle. Then dragon quest X will be on my radar big time. :p

MYE said:
What are the chances of that DQ Monster Road Victory card battle thingy coming over to PALand and US before X?

I want that game :(
I hope so too, the game looks ace. Horii needs to get Eighting cooking on a Wii DQVII remake if he hasn't already.

wrowa

lunchwithyuzo said:
I hope so too, the game looks ace. Horii needs to get Eighting cooking on a Wii DQVII remake if he hasn't already.
It won't be released anywhere out of Japan. Never. The game is based on a card game no one outside of Japan ever heard from and - as if that alone isn't already bad enough for the chances of a western release - it's supposed to be awful.

Onagi

Banned
I don't care what system it comes out on. I will buy the system if I don't own it.

A 3DS release would be phenomenal, with the ability to do something like grotto diving from DQ IX online. I love DQ IX so much, I still play it almost every day.

wrowa said:
It won't be released anywhere out of Japan. Never. The game is based on a card game no one outside of Japan ever heard from and - as if that isn't already bad enough for the chances of a western release - it's supposed to be awful.
It's bad? But the battles look so cool? And the town segments looked pretty nice too? :(

I thought it was also listed on some retailer database (along with Joker 2) late last year?

lunchwithyuzo said:
It's bad? But the battles look so cool? And the town segments looked pretty nice too? :(

I thought it was also listed on some retailer database (along with Joker 2) late last year?

Probably just wild speculation really, still it remains that game isn't coming over just like Yangus' DQ game.

camineet

Banned
I just bought DQVIII because of the praise it gets in this thread. So far I am loving it, and cannot wait to see a similarly designed DQX on Wii.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
But i still think that the PS3 market in these days is bigger than the Wii market in Japan.
I don't think this applies to blockbuster size games. The blockbuster type of games has done better on Wii than PS3 throughout the entire generation (12 million sellers vs 1), and it still applied by last count with Wii Party/DKCR vs GT5. The biggest Wii games are all unqualified successes, significantly outperforming previous franchise entries or being breakout hit new franchises. PS3's single million seller was the lowest selling main installment of it's franchise in almost 20 years.

camineet

Banned
Dragon Quest X Development "Going Well", says Square-Enix

Dragon Quest X was formally announced by Yuji Horii, the creator of the series, back in December of 2008 for the Nintendo Wii. Ever since, mum's been the word on the project, until a quick mention now.

Yuji Horii spoke with Nintendo Power, saying that the game's development is definitely ongoing. “I feel that some users will want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen, which is why we are working toward releasing it on Wii,” he said.

“All we can say is that development is going well and we’re on the last parts of the game. We can’t really share much else at this point, but by the end of this year we should be able to announce something regarding it.”

He also revealed that the game will be taking cues from the Dragon Quest VIII system.

The most recent game in the series was Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, developed by Level-5 and released for the Nintendo DS back in July of 2009 to much fanfare in Japan, and later on in July of 2010 in the rest of the world.

sorry, providing a link was not possible, just search google news for Dragon Quest X, and you'll find the source.

I am starting to think that DQX is cross Wii 3DS somehow. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he said "I feel that SOME users may want to play Dragon Quest X on a large screen..."

duckroll

camineet said:
sorry, providing a link was not possible, just search google news for Dragon Quest X, and you'll find the source.

Why bother when you just posted the exact same thing as what is in this very OP? Seriously, are you dense?

Shirokun

GregLombardi said:
I am starting to think that DQX is cross Wii 3DS somehow. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but he said "I feel that SOME users may want to play Dragon Quest X on a large screen..."

Not really sure what sort of resources would be required to "port" this to the 3DS, but I can't see how this wouldn't be the best course of action for both Nintendo and SQE. I know sales of Wii soft can be high when they wanna be, but do DQX Wii sales actually have a chance at coming close to that of previous games in the series? It just doesn't seem like the market is there on Wii.

Meanwhile, a 3DS release would help cement the system's position in Japan as the handheld leader. It just seems like the obvious choice to me.

LaneDS

camineet said:
I just bought DQVIII because of the praise it gets in this thread. So far I am loving it, and cannot wait to see a similarly designed DQX on Wii.

Only gets better as the game goes on, if you ask me. Enjoy!

Shirokun said:
Not really sure what sort of resources would be required to "port" this to the 3DS, but I can't see how this wouldn't be the best course of action for both Nintendo and SQE. I know sales of Wii soft can be high when they wanna be, but do DQX Wii sales actually have a chance at coming close to that of previous games in the series? It just doesn't seem like the market is there on Wii.

Meanwhile, a 3DS release would help cement the system's position in Japan as the handheld leader. It just seems like the obvious choice to me.
I am 100% unsure where you people are getting this market analysis from.

It has basically no foothold in reality or logic.

duckroll said:
Why bother when you just posted the exact same thing as what is in this very OP? Seriously, are you dense?

I'm not going to lie, I've done the same thing before. I had to quickly stealth edit it out and make up something to fit the discussion.

By the way, do your superpowers allow you to see stealth edits?

Shirokun

ShockingAlberto said:
I am 100% unsure where you people are getting this market analysis from.

It has basically no foothold in reality or logic.

Just based on my observations is all. I'm not claiming to be any market expert, but from my casual observations of things, this seems to make sense to me. Instead of telling me I'm just full of crap, why don't you actually tell me why you think I'm wrong?

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
I don't think this applies to blockbuster size games. The blockbuster type of games has done better on Wii than PS3 throughout the entire generation (12 million sellers vs 1), and it still applied by last count with Wii Party/DKCR vs GT5. The biggest Wii games are all unqualified successes, significantly outperforming previous franchise entries or being breakout hit new franchises. PS3's single million seller was the lowest selling main installment of it's franchise in almost 20 years.
Yes, it is possible. The only way to messure it is however if a game is multiplatform and being released at the same date. Otherwise it is just a guess if the game would have done worse, equal or better on another platform. I think that good examples on this are Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy 13.

Which Wii games has preformed much better compared to previous franchise entries by the way? I know about MH3, but if that was due to the big increase of MH popularity or due to being on Wii, or both things combined, is anyone's guess.

ghibli99

camineet said:
Have fun! Learn Zoom early and remember that alchemy progress is based on # of steps, not time. :)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Yes, it is possible. The only way to messure it is however if a game is multiplatform and being released at the same date. Otherwise it is just a guess if the game would have done worse, equal or better on another platform. I think that good examples on this are Monster Hunter 3 and Final Fantasy 13.
Since we're most likely talking an exclusive here, the only way to really know is to release the game on one system, then go back in time and release it on the other instead. :p Since we can't do that, we'll have to settle for the data available. Keep in mind though that for a game to sell +4 million on PS3 (like the biggest Wii game), it would require a 62% attach rate which AFAIK is unheard of this late in a generation.
test_account said:
Which Wii games has preformed much better compared to previous franchise entries by the way?
Smash Bros, Mario Party. Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and yes, MH as well if you consider handhelds and consoles separately.

If Nintendo is wise, they will release their next system (powerful enough to emulate Wii in high-res) around the end of 1012 when this game is finally released. Those people who want to play it in HD would be happy to buy a Wii 2 for it.

If it is like DQ8 then that is good. I just couldn't stand the random battles in that game but everything else was great. Still have a feeling they will just dumb down the Wii game and it won't have the same production values of 8.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Since we're most likely talking an exclusive here, the only way to really know is to release the game on one system, then go back in time and release it on the other instead. :p Since we can't do that, we'll have to settle for the data available. Keep in mind though that for a game to sell +4 million on PS3 (like the biggest Wii game), it would require a 62% attach rate which AFAIK is unheard of this late in a generation.
Hehe, true. That is the problem, we will never get this data, to know how an exclusive game would have done on another platform. In some cases it might be difficult to know if it is the game itself or a console feature that sells the game. Games like Wii Sports, there it is easy to see that the motion controls added a lot to the game's success. But when it comes to games like an more traditional RPG, then it can be more difficult to see in my opinion. The userbase can also be one indicator as well indeed. But at least with multiplatform titles we get to see which console people prefer to buy the game for (taken into account that the games has the same content for all versions besides potentially differences in the graphics).

Jokeropia said:
Smash Bros, Mario Party. Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and yes, MH as well if you consider handhelds and consoles separately.
Ok, thanks :)

H_Prestige said:
If it is like DQ8 then that is good. I just couldn't stand the random battles in that game but everything else was great. Still have a feeling they will just dumb down the Wii game and it won't have the same production values of 8.

This isn't 2007. And they're not going to cut corners on the next main DQ...

camineet

Banned
H_Prestige said:

I would not worry, I'd expect DQX to surpass DQVIII in production value.

Top Bottom