• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
farnham I'm impressed. Last time you said DQX would sell like crap on Wii (for a DQ) and wouldn't even move a good amount of systems.
i dont think it will do DQ 9 levels (i believe its going to do something like 2 to 3 million) and i dont think it will be a huge system seller either

i do think it will be on the wii though

and i dont think ps3 will be a better option either. psp or ds might be though

Halfmunch

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
No multiplayer. I want a story this time and characters with personality like DQVIII!

The Main character in DQVIII was just as silent as the one you created in DQIX... I agree about wanting the other party members to be real characters. Multiplayer was fun in IX, but maybe more suited for handheld version, also equipment changes visible <-- I hope at least this stays.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
Or the most recent example DKR Wii that sold better than any PS3 game in Japan (with FF13 beeing the only exception).
It depends a lot on how big the franchise is. Recently there hasnt been any game release for the PS3 of a franchise that is as big as Donkey Kong, as far as i know. If the franchise is big, it will have a good chance on selling good even if the platform userbase is fairly small or huge.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
It depends a lot on how big the franchise is. Recently there hasnt been any game release for the PS3 of a franchise that is as big as Donkey Kong, as far as i know. If the franchise is big, it will have a good chance on selling good even if the platform userbase is fairly small or huge.
donkey kong isnt a big franchise

the last major release in that franchise (jungle beat) sold badly in comparison

also the ds releases dont do that well either

tales, musou, winning eleven, granturismo are all franchises with way bigger presence over there

Having a blast with DQIX on the DSi.

I would have preferred the 3DS for DQX with the PS360 is still out of the question, but oh well.

Big One

Banned
sublimit said:
Is there any chance Level 5 to have some involvement with this game?
This is a good question, this is almost assured for the graphics to end up being good. I'm more curious on what exactly they're planning for DQX after big changes to the series with DQVIII and DQIX.

AniHawk

Big One said:
This is a good question, this is almost assured for the graphics to end up being good. I'm more curious on what exactly they're planning for DQX after big changes to the series with DQVIII and DQIX.
you control the game like endoscopy in trauma team.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
donkey kong isnt a big franchise

the last major release in that franchise (jungle beat) sold badly in comparison

also the ds releases dont do that well either

tales, musou, winning eleven, granturismo are all franchises with way bigger presence over there
Perhaps it is difficult to do a direct comparison because the last 2D Donkey Kong side scrolling platform game was on the Super Famicom, and back then the market was not exactly like it is today. But you're right that the other Donkey Kong games havnt been super popular when it comes to sales in Japan, that is true.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Perhaps it is difficult to do a direct comparison because the last 2D Donkey Kong side scrolling platform game was on the Super Famicom. But you're right that the other Donkey Kong games havnt been super popular when it comes to sales in Japan, that is true.
the last 2d platformer dk was Donkey kong jungle beat

tbh the DKCR jap sales were a big surprise to me
bon said:
I find it funny that a game NOT switching platforms during development is considered news.
its DQ

everything about this game is news

Raw64life

+1 for the more like DQVIII the better. And please keep the job classes far, far away. Don't mind it being on the Wii as I intend to have a comp good enough to be able to play this in full 1080p glory.

ShockingAlberto said:
Talking about the current market climate for a Dragon Quest system is hilarious.

Dragon Quest doesn't give a fuck about the market.

The market gives a fuck about Dragon Quest.

Well put.

Bel Marduk said:
I have a question about DQ IX sales...is there a decent estimate/guess to how many people like in the same household or whatever bought a copy? Since that could inflate sales since DQ IX only has one save slot.

Well, I'm certain DQX will sell fewer copies than DQIX, if that's what you're getting at.

Slime

Banned
Can't wait for DQXI, since if it's a console title should be on an HD console, assuming Nintendo don't play the technological dinosaur card again. Then again, post-DQIX there's always the possibility that it could be on a handheld, which would be a big letdown.

At the very least I'm glad that DQX will likely be 480p, since while VIII is still gorgeous it's kind of hard on the eyes on an HDTV. I'd just like to see a DQ game looking a bit like Ni no Kuni someday. That'd be glorious.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
the last 2d platformer dk was Donkey kong jungle beat

tbh the DKCR jap sales were a big surprise to me
I was actually going to mention this in parentheses, but since you use drums instead of a standard controller, it isnt exactly the same type of gameplay etc. But i now remember that there was a Wii re-release as well where you use a controller instead =)

charlequin said:
Well, I'm certain DQX will sell fewer copies than DQIX, if that's what you're getting at.

It's not that, I just want to know how much the DS, being a handheld which are more popular in Japan than before, really expanded the DQ series to more players and ultimately more sales.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
I was actually going to mention this in parentheses, but since you use drums instead of a standard controller, so it isnt exactly the same type of gameplay etc. But i now remember that there was a Wii re-release as well where you use a controller instead =)
there was a standard controller release too (new play control)

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
there was a standard controller release too (new play control)
For Gamecube? I havnt heard about that one, but i havnt really checked much up on it.

Maybe it wasnt 100% correct to say that Donkey Kong is a big franchise in Japan, but at least he is a pretty known character i guess. But i guess that Laguna said that DKCR has shown that games on the Wii can still sell good despite not seeing a lot of software support and relatively low hardware sales. And that is true, DKCR has sold good indeed :)

Loto

This thread seems so familar... Something something DS.

Great news, I hope it has VIII's world map. Please take your time with the game, it's the 10th installment, it's going to be huge!!!!

An announcement by the end of the year? Hopefully it is released by the end up the year! Anyway, happy to see this is still coming. If it looks cool, I might pick it up.

Halfmunch said:
The Main character in DQVIII was just as silent as the one you created in DQIX... I agree about wanting the other party members to be real characters.

DQVIII did a great job of making you feel for the main character just by way of his expressions when he reacts to stuff.

test_account said:
DKCR has sold more than any PS3 game in Japan (besides FFXIII) during the console's entire lifetime, not just recently.

ReyVGM

If it looks like DQ8, I'll be happy.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will get released in the USA. It will be too late by the time it gets released in Japan and then localized.

ReyVGM said:

Unfortunately, I doubt it will get released in the USA. It will be too late by the time it gets released in Japan and then localized.

lol, after DQ IX sold over 1 mil in the West? No.

Alrus

ReyVGM said:

Nintendo will probably publish and market it like they do with most of the big third party japanese game that come to their systems. The franchise does decent number in the west.

JimboJones

Wasn't one of the agreements that Nintendo where to help expand the franchise in the west and make it more recognisable. DQIX got first party style treatment with regard to promotions and advertisments.

I wonder how they will trick more customers into buying the wii one. The way they focused on dressing up your charachter for ix seemed to work lol.

Johnas

Glad to get a little bit of info on DQX.

Hopefully the localization won't take quite as long, given the comments made previously by someone at SE (I forget who) about aiming for a much smaller gap between releases in different territories.

Also, DQVIII comparisons are nothing but positive for me.

Kilgore Trout said:
DKCR has sold more than any PS3 game in Japan (besides FFXIII) during the console's entire lifetime, not just recently.
So did 3 other Wii games released last year (Galaxy 2, All-Stars, Wii Party). Not bad for an "inactive userbase". ;)

Halfmunch said:
I agree about wanting the other party members to be real characters. Multiplayer was fun in IX, but maybe more suited for handheld version, also equipment changes visible <-- I hope at least this stays.
That's what made DQVIII so great. Yangus is one of the best JRPG characters and I hope DQX has colorful personalities that travel in your party. For a game that lasts 60+ hours, it helps make the experience more enjoyable.

ghibli99

inner-G said:
That could be a bigger problem than some people think.

It's not even dated in Japan, 2012-13 for the US?
It's hard for me to imagine that it wouldn't be released in the US... it's a different landscape for the series than it was when 7 came out at the end of the PS1 era. Nintendo also seems to believe in the series based on their recent publications of 6 and 9. Not sure how 6 is selling, but I would say 9's million-seller status means something.

Alrus

jiggle said:
hope lv5 is making it!

Probably not, they have like have bazillion games in developpment I don't know how they would have had the time to develop this one on top of the others...

fates

ghibli99 said:
It's hard for me to imagine that it wouldn't be released in the US... it's a different landscape for the series than it was when 7 came out at the end of the PS1 era. Nintendo also seems to believe in the series based on their recent publications of 6 and 9. Not sure how 6 is selling, but I would say 9's million-seller status means something.

It was like 50,000 copies on NPD Feb (which means 50,000 in two weeks, given it's date), so it did OK. Not DQ9 numbers, but better than IV and V's...

At the same time though, DQ6 wasn't released in Europe despite having the trademarks and a spanish translation included... weird (and now, Xenoblade seemingly going to Europe and not NA).

I guess it depends on the state of the Wii late next year. With the industry seemingly staying in this console gen for another E3 (barring any surprises), the Wii could still have some life in it if Nintendo gives it a stream of games.

But it's way too early for this talk right now, though I'm sure it'll be a pretty heated topic come the time.

EDarkness said:
It's a Wii game, you shouldn't be surprised.
True. GAF hates Wii games. Its filled with high end graphical developers who are obsessed with HD games. Additionally, its filled with 13 year olds.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TheKingsCrown said:
True. GAF hates Wii games. Its filled with high end graphical developers who are obsessed with HD games. Additionally, its filled with 13 year olds.
Why are you a junior since 2006 (just saw you post in that DQIX thread linked above), lol?

Top Bottom