• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

tylovetx

Banned
You'd think they would downport it to the 3ds, since more that's the new "in" thing. Dragon Quest sells lousy outside Japan anyway, but they still could've got a few new adopters.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Were DQVIII battles gloriously animated like that DQ card game? I hope DQX is similar.

MYE

gloriousdemon said:
5577679032_7bb3280434.jpg
Not this shit, please.

Dragon Quest 5 - Sep '92

Dragon Quest 6 - Dec '95 - 3 Years, 3 months

Dragon Quest 7 - Aug '00 - 4 years, 8 months

Dragon Quest 8 - Nov '04 - 4 years, 3 months

Dragon Quest 9 - Jul '09 - 4 years, 8 months

I don't know why people are saying this is taking so long. Long development times are par for the course with mainline Dragon Quests. Even if it doesn't make it out (in Japan) until the end of 2012, that'd still be the fastest turnaround for the next sequel in about 15 years (~3 and a half years).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
tylovetx said:
You'd think they would downport it to the 3ds, since more that's the new "in" thing. Dragon Quest sells like shit outside Japan anyway, but they still could've got those new adopters.

Actually VIII and IX did pretty well for themselves outside of Japan.

VIII had the FF XII demo and was the first game released in Europe and IX had the financial backing of Nintendo for a massive ad campaign.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are you assuming the next game was in development the day after the last one got released with those stats?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Sweet.

DQ9 was amazing. Hopefully traits from that game expand to the Wii version and we get stuff like split screen coop ala the arena in MHTri.
tylovetx said:
You'd think they would downport it to the 3ds, since more that's the new "in" thing. Dragon Quest sells lousy outside Japan anyway, but they still could've got a few new adopters.
I don't know how you'd think that, actually. There's no precedent for it either, so...

Poyunch

GregLombardi said:
At the very least, it is contradictory for this generation. We saw Dragon Quest IX in its early form, and then in a later form, and then just before it released.

To my recollection, we have NEVER seen Dragon Quest X in any form except a logo.
Well the Wii is last gen.
QYlUi.gif

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Quixzlizx said:
Obviously DQX will break this trend, but how many third-party multimillion Wii sellers are there in Japan?
Making the "third party" difference is meaningless, people aren't looking for who publish their games to buy them, and it's very stupid to think that way.

There are tons of multi-million selling titles on the Wii (much more than the other consoles), and that's what matters. Maybe we could look at third party quality and brand recognition on the titles released on the Wii vs the quality and brand recognition of Nintendo's own titles to explain the difference in sales (just an idea), instead of thinking in the stupid way.

thanks

I own a Wii, so I'll probably buy this, but I must say I'm disappointed it's not coming to PS3. Regardless of the fact that it was an obvious choice for a DQ game (highest install base), it will lack 3d, the Wii's online functionality is lacking, it won't look the best it could have looked on another console, and I'll probably have to play with the classic controller which I don't really care for.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
thanks said:
I own a Wii, so I'll probably buy this, but I must say I'm disappointed it's not coming to PS3. Regardless of the fact that it was an obvious choice for a DQ game (highest install base), it will lack 3d, the Wii's online functionality is lacking, it won't look the best it could have looked on another console, and I'll probably have to play with the classic controller which I don't really care for.
i agree. i mean, why not make every game for the ps3

camineet

Banned
Wii has the highest install base worldwide and in Japan, that's where mainline Dragon Quest games always go, so it only makes sense that DQX will be on Wii.

Quixzlizx

manueldelalas said:
Making the "third party" difference is meaningless, people aren't looking for who publish their games to buy them, and it's very stupid to think that way.

There are tons of multi-million selling titles on the Wii (much more than the other consoles), and that's what matters. Maybe we could look at third party quality and brand recognition on the titles released on the Wii vs the quality and brand recognition of Nintendo's own titles to explain the difference in sales (just an idea), instead of thinking in the stupid way.

For someone who keeps throwing the word stupid around, you admit in your post that there is, in fact, a distinction. Maybe you should stop thinking in the stupid way.

thanks

camineet said:
Wii has the highest install base worldwide and in Japan, that's where mainline Dragon Quest games always go, so it only makes sense that DQX will be on Wii.

This same sentence was in my post. Learn to read, and while we're at it everyone in this thread needs to stop posting this ad infinitum.

Morokh

It's nice to see it's still there but it really gets me worried at the same time because that could mean we're stuck with the Wii another year before learning anything about the next one :/

Huff

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't know why people are saying this is taking so long. Long development times are par for the course with mainline Dragon Quests. Even if it doesn't make it out (in Japan) until the end of 2012, that'd still be the fastest turnaround for the next sequel in about 15 years (~3 and a half years).

I'm not questioning the long dev time, but the lack of seeing ANYTHING related to this game. I heard that even the logo was fan made and not the real one.

Fritz

I cannot believe that people still - after fucking 3 years since its announcement - cannot accept that this is on Wii.

This has never been more appropriate:

DEAL WITH IT!

madara

Oh thank god. This is very assuring for a dq fan that didnt feel DQ9 at all. Back to DQ8 epic over world journey and non generic multiple player focused elements.

Sir_Crocodile said:
Hopefully "dragon quest VIII system" alludes not to the battle system but to the characterisation/story, which was rather lacking in IX.

I hope it means graphics engine, with an open world where everything is proper scale like VIII. Really missed that in IX.

inner-G

Banned
Good to hear they're taking cues from VIII instead of IX.

Time for a new PC maybe... I wanna play it on Dolphin in HD.

duckroll

fates said:
Gonna guess it'll show up at TGS.

Depends on whether the announcement press conference happens before then or not. DQ isn't going to just pop up at a trade show without its own press conference beforehand.

ghibli99

Although I do admit to being a bit bummed that I'll have to be chained to a console to play this, any new DQ10 news is good news in my book. I wasn't expecting it to be out this year either, although just an announcement by year's end seems like a loooong time from now.

I wouldn't mind something like DQ8 again when it comes to the characters and each of them feeling unique, but I would like more flexibility in the skill trees/points and a faster feeling of advancement/leveling. DQ8 just felt so slow compared to the rest of the series in that respect. The overall quality of it, though, was very high and still looks great today.

madara

Something about this gen, its just so bloody painful. My desperation to play anything like the joy that was DQ8 needs to be satiated. I havent play a game since were I sit more then an hour at time with them, yet I can go back and spend 5hrs in row before I know it with a replay of DQ8.

madara

Bizzyb said:
Not happening.

Wii 2 maybe

edit: Think Twilight Princess

Completely mind boggling. Right from creator's mouth, with history showing it nearly always comes at the end of a console cycle and yet still....

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Die Squirrel Die said:
Dragon Quest 5 - Sep '92

Dragon Quest 6 - Dec '95 - 3 Years, 3 months

Dragon Quest 7 - Aug '00 - 4 years, 8 months

Dragon Quest 8 - Nov '04 - 4 years, 3 months

Dragon Quest 9 - Jul '09 - 4 years, 8 months

Thats how I like it as well. Close to five years is pushing it, but I'd much rather get installments in long running franchises every three or four years then every year or every other year.

Beth Cyra

Suzzopher said:
Glad to see it is still happening. Hopefully Level 5 again, DQ VIII was a fine game.

Wait Level 5 isn't confirmed? I thought they had said it was Level 5 in the original announcement.

Then again it was so long ago I am probably just don't remember what they said originally.

I never got around to beating DQ 8 and the people I played DQ9 got a lot further than I did. So this is good news for me because it will be on a console I own and gives me time to finish up (or at least get further in) the previous games.

But it is just me or do the Dragon Quest games put anyone else to sleep? Not from being boring, but from being relaxing.

Beth Cyra

From The Dust said:
A TGS showing is pretty much guranteed. E3 could be likely though. Especially if Nintendo will do publishing
I think it will be showed at TGS.

That said I don't think it will make it's first big splash at TGS. I am guessing it will be a Nintendo/SE joint thing before hand and then SE will show off DQ X at TGS along with the rest of their software.

duckroll

From The Dust said:
A TGS showing is pretty much guranteed. E3 could be likely though. Especially if Nintendo will do publishing

None of that means anything until they hold the announcement press conference.

Top Bottom