• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
As long as the game has charm, great storytelling, and good music... I don't care what platform it's for... though ideally it will be for a console. So I'm glad it's still coming to Wii.

eXistor

Finally the DQ I've been waiting for! IX was nice and all, but it ranks as probably my least favorite along with VII.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
eXistor said:
Finally the DQ I've been waiting for! IX was nice and all, but it ranks as probably my least favorite along with VII.

I thought 7 was pretty amazing, provided you were willing to make the commitment and willing to forgive the painfully slow start. 9 though is probably my least favorite apart from the first 2. Very disappointing in lots of the areas I love about the series (music especially).

djtiesto said:
I thought 7 was pretty amazing, provided you were willing to make the commitment and willing to forgive the painfully slow start. 9 though is probably my least favorite apart from the first 2. Very disappointing in lots of the areas I love about the series (music especially).
Ugh the music in IX was absolutely horrific. No passion, no anything.

It made me sad.

Aeana

TruePrime said:
Wait Level 5 isn't confirmed? I thought they had said it was Level 5 in the original announcement.

Then again it was so long ago I am probably just don't remember what they said originally.
Nope.

ymmv

Banned
camineet said:
Wii has the highest install base worldwide and in Japan, that's where mainline Dragon Quest games always go, so it only makes sense that DQX will be on Wii.

It made sense to put DQX on the Wii when the game was originally announced in December 2008. In the 2.5 years since Wii sales in Japan have fallen off a cliff. PS3 has been outselling the Wii since 2010. Big Wii RPGs like Xenoblade and The Last Story garnered excellent reviews but sales didn't pass 200,000 copies in each case. Both games sold about 160,000 copies. Tales of Graces for the Wii sold about 200,000 copies while the PS3 HD port sold over 300,000 copies twelve months later.

I don't suppose there'll be a PS3 version since Square Enix made such a deal of its commitment to the Wii when they announced DQX, but they might be unhappy about this choice. When DQ8 was released in 2008, the PS2 was the best selling console in Japan. When they release DQX in late 2011 or early 2012, the Wii will be on the bottom rungs of the Japanese hardware sales chart with the 3DS, NGP, PSP and PS3 outselling the Wii.

Squire

Banned
Of course it makes sense it's still on Wii.

But it also makes sense a lot of people want to play it on PS3. DQVIII was one of my favorite PS2 games, so of course I want a DQ on PS3. And sooner rather than later.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I'm not thrilled it's on the Wii, but if it's anything like DQVIII, I'll still pick it up :)

Aeana

ymmv said:
It made sense to put DQX on the Wii when the game was originally announced in December 2008. In the 2.5 years since Wii sales in Japan have fallen off a cliff. PS3 has been outselling the Wii since 2010. Big Wii RPGs like Xenoblade and The Last Story garnered excellent reviews but sales didn't pass 200,000 copies in each case. Both games sold about 160,000 copies. Tales of Graces for the Wii sold about 200,000 copies while the PS3 HD port sold over 300,000 copies twelve months later.

I don't suppose there'll be a PS3 version since Square Enix made such a deal of its commitment to the Wii when they announced DQX, but they might be unhappy about this choice. When DQ8 was released in 2008, the PS2 was the best selling console in Japan. When they release DQX in late 2011 or early 2012, the Wii will be on the bottom rungs of the Japanese hardware sales chart with the 3DS, NGP, PSP and PS3 outselling the Wii.
Those games have nothing to do with DQ10. Also, rate of hardware sales doesn't matter as much as install base, especially in this case.

Vinci

Danish
Bizzyb said:
Not happening.

Wii 2 maybe

edit: Think Twilight Princess

You are priceless. I hope your zeal never leads to a ban.

Inorigo said:
Of course it makes sense it's still on Wii.

But it also makes sense a lot of people want to play it on PS3. DQVIII was one of my favorite PS2 games, so of course I want a DQ on PS3. And sooner rather than later.

I have a PS3 and a Wii. I'm not thrilled it's on the Wii, but if it's anything like DQVIII, I'll still pick it up :)

Good god. This conversation never ends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
[Nintex] said:
It's because their Wii game was cancelled and they had to lay off a bunch of people.

That and Pokémon typing.

I could see the grunt programming being done by them or some composite Nintendo team.

GregLombardi said:
Ugh the music in IX was absolutely horrific. No passion, no anything.

It made me sad.
meltingparappa said:
All I can think of when the game is delayed further and further is that Sugiyama isn't getting any younger. :c

Just remind him of World War II and all those passions will flare up again.

Amir0x

Banned
Something else we hear is that players want a new Dragon Quest that follows the same system of Dragon Quest VIII, so that's something else we're taking into consideration while in development for a Dragon Quest on Wii.

YES! I said this so it must be me you heard it from logically! DQ8 remains the only DQ game I could finish start to end without throwing up from boredom, thanks to its awesome 3D explorable overworld and attractive cel-shaded appearance and orchestrated music! And yes, big screen RPGs++. Could not stomach the grotesque DS 3D DQIX.

Now really keeping an eye open for this.

Aeana

Amir0x said:
YES! I said this so it must be me you heard it from logically! DQ8 remains the only DQ game I could finish start to end without throwing up from boredom, thanks to its awesome 3D explorable overworld and attractive cel-shaded appearance and orchestrated music! And yes, big screen RPGs++. Could not stomach the grotesque DS 3D DQIX.

Now really keeping an eye open for this.
But it's a Wii game. Haven't your standards increased beyond that?

Amir0x

Banned
Aeana said:
But it's a Wii game. Haven't your standards increased beyond that?

The only type of games I can stomach for long periods of time on last-gen platforms ARE cel-shaded games and 2D games. Fortunately, DQX will definitely be cel-shaded.

Stuff like Okami, Wind Waker and heck even DQVIII... I can still play them just as much today as when they came out. Gorgeous, timeless aesthetics.

Pyrokai

My standards must be low or something because I can stomach "last gen" graphics quite easily. I think last gen games are completely fine, and in some cases I prefer them to the ultra-realistic uncanny and shiny-plastic plagues of today's "modern" games. I'm really surprised some people can't go back to them.

Amir0x

Banned
Well a lot of people are like you. That's why you're not me :D

I'm just enthusiastic about a news that is positive for me. I am a selfish gamer and care only about what I want. Everybody is a selfish gamer but they won't admit it as readily.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Great news. Never doubted they'd still release it on the Wii.

This and the Euro Xenoblade announcement make today a happy day for RPG fans.

ksamedi

I would have preferred a top down perspective actually. Would be charming with the processing power of the Wii. Still, my most anticipated game ever. What a great franchise this is. I can't believe people are complaining about platform choices. Its going to be great whatever console its on.

WillyFive

Pyrokai said:
My standards must be low or something because I can stomach "last gen" graphics quite easily. I think last gen games are completely fine, and in some cases I prefer them to the ultra-realistic uncanny and shiny-plastic plagues of today's "modern" games. I'm really surprised some people can't go back to them.

Yeah, I started noticing uncally valley on games for the first time this gen. The more realistic you make the graphics, the more you notice things like framerate and pop-up. It's why those low-framerate PC and N64 games of the 90's don't bother me at all. And what's worse, this gen is the first time I saw screen tearing in console games. Those are horrible, it makes Alpha Protocol unplayable to me.

Luckily there are still some more artistic games on the HD consoles that don't have graphical bugs and glitches.

But I think the big bump on the road for playing SD games is the resolution when played on an HDTV, not the graphics themselves.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pure resolution does not equal "uncanny valley" 3D graphics. You can still get the ultra stylistic 2D games or cell shaded 3D games at 1080p/720p. Please stop making excuses for a resolution that only looks good on 19" screens. Friggen' luddites. And you know you all will cream your panties when WiiHD is released and whatever iteration of Mario Galaxy thats made ground up for HD doesn't look like a blurry mess on real big screens.

It's taking way too long. At this rate, DQX will be out (and localized hopefully) when the Wii is hanging on the thinnest thread!

But at least it's a good way to go. Can't wait!

Mael

ymmv said:

Are you even aware of what makes Dragon Quest so special? Why it exists at all? Or are you just pissed that it's not on your precious PS3?
I've gotta ask because really at this point if you can't make the difference between DraQue and all the other rpgs...
I mean it's like you're arguing that if they knew what's good for them Capcom should have made Monster Hunter for DS instead of PSP.

Talking about the current market climate for a Dragon Quest system is hilarious.

Dragon Quest doesn't give a fuck about the market.

The market gives a fuck about Dragon Quest.

ymmv

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Talking about the current market climate for a Dragon Quest system is hilarious.

Dragon Quest doesn't give a fuck about the market.

The market gives a fuck about Dragon Quest.

It looks that way because DQ games were only released on the most popular system in Japan (PS2, DS). It's going to be interesting to see what happens when it's finally released on a system with a huge, but relatively inactive user base and slow hardware sales. DQX should have been a 2008/9 title to make the most of the Wii's sales dominance, but in 2012 it feels like the Wii party's already over. But then again, maybe Square Enix will do what Nintendo did with Zelda -Twilight Princess: release it two consoles, in this case the Wii and its HD successor. It could be a *huge* launch game. Crazy sales, including Europe and the US.

btkadams

BlueTsunami said:
Pure resolution does not equal "uncanny valley" 3D graphics. You can still get the ultra stylistic 2D games or cell shaded 3D games at 1080p/720p. Please stop making excuses for a resolution that only looks good on 19" screens. Friggen' luddites. And you know you all will cream your panties when WiiHD is released and whatever iteration of Mario Galaxy thats made ground up for HD doesn't look like a blurry mess on real big screens.
seriously. cel-shaded stuff looks amazing in hd. people make excuses for anything. i'm sure this game will be fantastic on wii, but saying things like it being on an hd console would make it look crappy is fucking stupid.

Mael

ymmv said:
It looks that way because DQ games were only released on the most popular system in Japan (PS2, DS). It's going to be interesting to see what happens when it's finally released on a system with a huge, but relatively inactive user base and slow hardware sales. DQX should have been a 2008/9 title to make the most of the Wii's sales dominance, but in 2012 it feels like the Wii party's already over. But then again, maybe Square Enix will do what Nintendo did with Zelda -Twilight Princess: release it two consoles, in this case the Wii and its HD successor. It could be a *huge* launch game. Crazy sales, including Europe and the US.

Kinda like how DQVII should have been a ps2 launch game, right?
Like usual ShockingAlberto is right and there's nothing that can be said otherwise.

Paracelsus

Mael said:
Kinda like how DQVII should have been a ps2 launch game, right?
Like usual ShockingAlberto is right and there's nothing that can be said otherwise.

Did DQ ever have to sell to about 50% of the install base to barely have a chance to outsell the previous installment?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ymmv said:

I see your point, but I think the distinction is that even with the Wii virtually dead right now in terms of software support, really big games still sell well- hell DKCR is going to probably hit a million!

Mael

Paracelsus said:
Did DQ ever have to sell to about 50% of the install base to barely have a chance to outsell the previous installment?

If the point is to broaden the franchise then there's nothing but handheld that can do this.
They've taken special measures to maximize the sales of DQIX.
There is NO way a console DQ could do the same.
Now take into account that DQX is made for people wanting a console DQ experience.
So the target is actually DQVIII not DQIX for the bean counters.

Not that they care since Horii will do whatever the fuck he wants.

farnham

Banned
ymmv said:

square enix made no choice

armor project did

people still get confused about this i see

also quite ridiculous to compare the selling power of xenoblade, last story or tales to dragon quest

if anything compare new super mario bros to dragon quest

also even if the ps3 outsold the wii in 2011 so far (it didnt in 2010 although it was by a hair) wii has nearly double the installed userbase of ps3.

Eteric Rice

KingDizzi said:
Heart of a lion son, I'm one of those people. My stance on DQ X changed some months ago though, it's been in development for so long shifting onto another console/handheld would just not make sense. Square Enix will have to stick with the train wreck that is the Wii, they backed it and have to stick with it for DQ X.

You do realize it's going to sell gangbusters right? Probably just as much as if it were on any other system (except the DS).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
also quite ridiculous to compare the selling power of xenoblade, last story or tales to dragon quest

if anything compare new super mario bros to dragon quest
farnham I'm impressed. Last time you said DQX would sell like crap on Wii (for a DQ) and wouldn't even move a good amount of systems.

I have a question about DQ IX sales...is there a decent estimate/guess to how many people like in the same household or whatever bought a copy? Since that could inflate sales since DQ IX only has one save slot.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Bel Marduk said:
I have a question about DQ IX sales...is there a decent estimate/guess to how many people like in the same household or whatever bought a copy? Since that could inflate sales since DQ IX only has one save slot.
Not sales, "active players".

Top Bottom