• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The subtitle could be "Exclusive to Wii" and people would be wish for ports. Just be glad we haven't had a case of Epic Mickey style bannings yet.

Truth101

Banned
Linkup said:
Really? I thought it's development time is actually shorter than most DQ games, not that I've been paying much attention or anything.

Give it up on the port stuff guys.

Dragon Quest IX December 2006 July 2009 2 Years 7 Months
Dragon Quest X December 2008 ??? 3 Years
Dragon Quest VIII December 2002 November 2005 2 years 11 months

Beth Cyra

Kuran said:
So stupid. Not interested at all in playing it on Wii.

I can understand the desire for HD or Handheld.

That said how is it stupid?

It has the highest install base and Dragon Quest always goes to the highest install base, so if it was going back on a console it was always going to be Wii.

Not to mention they have came out and said it multiple times now.

Londa

Banned
we're on the last parts of the game. We can't really share much else at this point, but by the end of this year we should be able to announce something regarding it.

Why do we have to wait for an announcement at the end of this year? Oh well, I guess its best not to rush the devs. But the wait is confusing when they are already on the last parts of the game.

camineet

Banned
It's about time, cannot wait, I remember when DQX was announced in late 2008. It'll be four years once this comes out in 2012.

Truth101

Banned
camineet said:
It's about time, cannot wait, I remember when DQX was announced in late 2008. It'll be four years once this comes out in 2012.

It's been so long with so little information, this one had a long development cycle since it looks like it will be a 2012 title.

[Nintex]

Londa said:
Why do we have to wait for an announcement at the end of this year? Oh well, I guess its best not to rush the devs. But the wait is confusing when they are already on the last parts of the game.
Horii is like Eiji Aonuma, Nintendo is in the final stages of Skyward Sword's development since E3 2010. Plot twist: Zelda Skyward Sword == Dragon Quest X

KingDizzi

Banned
Truth101 said:
Makes me laugh. I don't understand how people thought it would go anywhere else but the Wii.

I wonder if those people will show up in this thread.

Edit:

This game has taken an incredibly long time to develop, I'm expecting great things from it when it comes out.

Heart of a lion son, I'm one of those people. My stance on DQ X changed some months ago though, it's been in development for so long shifting onto another console/handheld would just not make sense. Square Enix will have to stick with the train wreck that is the Wii, they backed it and have to stick with it for DQ X.

Linkup

I would play it even if they released for PS2. After the amazing DQ8 I just haven't felt like playing DQ on a handheld so this is great. Even got my six and ten year old nephews to play it and they both love it. This year in the US would be nice, I would actually pay $50 for it rather than wait.

Beth Cyra

KingDizzi said:
Heart of a lion son, I'm one of those people. My stance on DQ X changed some months ago though, it's been in development for so long shifting onto another console/handheld would just not make sense. Square Enix will have to stick with the train wreck that is the Wii, they backed it and have to stick with it for DQ X.

I doubt this is the case at all. I would bet money that SE or at leaast Wada wants it on something other then Wii probably more then any person on Gaf.

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
Should we compare DQ main title to Tales of and Samurai Warriors 3 instead ?

I'm not making comparisons. I asked if there's a Wii market in Japan because Wii is selling in the low five digits and no one is making games for it.

I think it's a fair question.

Anyway, DQX is a Wii game. Good

Aeana

TruePrime said:
I doubt this is the case at all. I would bet money that SE or at leaast Wada wants it on something other then Wii probably more then any person on Gaf.
Why? More people have a Wii in Japan than other consoles. Whether they buy other games is completely irrelevant - they will buy a DQ game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
KingDizzi said:
So your old stance was no way it would be on Wii, that would be stupid, and your new stance is that it's on Wii, but that is stupid? Your reasoning makes no sense, Wii ports aren't hard or time consuming as proven by at least Tales of Graces F and Rune Factory Oceans, so they could have done that if they agreed with you on any level whatsoever.

Truth101

Banned
KingDizzi said:

No, you don't understand. The Wii is not a train wreck at all, Dragon Quest X will sell and sell a lot, though maybe not as much as IX, the Wii still sells big system titles.

Also you misunderstand Dragon Quest is owned by Horii and it goes where Horii wants it to go, Square Enix has no say in the matter.

Edit:

I don't understand how people still fail to comprehend the Dragon Quest series.

Oh wait, the Wii is fail and everything that is released on it is set to fail....

Jarlaxle

Awesome news. I loved DQVIII and I don't own or plan on owning any portables ever. Big screen/comfy couch for life.

Spiegel said:
I'm not making comparisons. I asked if there's a Wii market in Japan because Wii is selling in the low five digits and no one is making games for it.

Anyway, DQX is a Wii game. Good

The Wii has shown no signs of it not being able to sell big games...the last one was DKCR and that sold very well...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Spiegel said:

It's probably better to ask if there's a console market in Japan at this point.

Beth Cyra

Aeana said:
Why? More people have a Wii in Japan than other consoles. Whether they buy other games is completely irrelevant - they will buy a DQ game.

Didn't argue that, and that is why I think Horii went with Wii.

Wada is another case. He has shown that he sees the benefit of releasing big name console content across multiple platforms and I think if the choice was left to him we would see DQ X move in a multiplatform direction just as we saw FF XIII and possibly FF VS XIII in the future.

You would hope this would be enough, but it seems like we're going to need some reminders that port begging is really not looked kindly upon.

Aeana

Truth101 said:
No, you don't understand. The Wii is not a train wreck at all, Dragon Quest X will sell and sell a lot, though maybe not as much as IX, the Wii still sells big system titles.

Also you misunderstand Dragon Quest is owned by Horii and it goes where Horii wants it to go, Square Enix has no say in the matter.
Square Enix owns the Dragon Quest IP, but it's true that they are unlikely to interfere too heavily with plans.

FoneBone

Aeana said:
Yep. This is what certain people can't seem to grasp - yes, the state of the Wii in Japan is pretty shitty, but DQX will still sell truckloads regardless.

I think it's a tad ridiculous that people think this won't sell on the Wii. I could see a case for making it multiplatform, sure, but it'll sell very well and make tons of money even if it remains exclusive. Which it will.

Huff

Banned
I just not sure why they have waited so long to give us news if the game is so far along. Especially with the lack of wii games this year. They would have the spot light.

Aeana

badcrumble said:
I think it's a tad ridiculous that people think this won't sell on the Wii. I could see a case for making it multiplatform, sure, but it'll sell very well and make tons of money even if it remains exclusive.
I think we all know that they're not actually concerned that it won't sell on Wii.

Truth101

Banned
Aeana said:
Square Enix owns the Dragon Quest IP, but it's true that they are unlikely to interfere too heavily with plans.

I thought Armour Studios owned the IP, or is that not the case. I feel I read someone talking about this before, but I don't remember what they said.

Doesn't Horii still have say over basically everything to do with Dragon Quest?

I can't wait for this game!

The people that think it can't come out for Wii are forgetting that the next console from Nintendo will most likely be backwards compatible.. so the new Dragon Quest could probably be played on the new console or on a Wii.
This is just speculation of course but it could be a way for them to ride the hype of a new console while at the same time have the game available for the Wii which has a well established userbase.

BroHuffman said:
I just not sure why they have waited so long to give us news if the game is so far along. Especially with the lack of wii games this year. They would have the spot light.
First intelligent question of the thread.

And this is a legitimate question that speaks not only to whatever they're doing with Dragon Quest X, but perhaps what's going on with the Wii itself.

Aeana

Truth101 said:
I thought Armour Studios owned the IP, or is that not the case. I feel I read someone talking about this before, but I don't remember what they said.

Doesn't Horii still have say over basically everything to do with Dragon Quest?
Horii owns everything he creates for the games such as scenario and such. Square Enix owns the IP. This is why you will not see an Armor Project copyright on things like merchandise.

Oh god. I can not wait for any media or information on this game. Even more hyped that it is following Dragon Quest VIII's system.

Poyunch

GregLombardi said:
First intelligent question of the thread.

And this is a legitimate question that speaks not only to whatever they're doing with Dragon Quest X, but perhaps what's going on with the Wii itself.
Isn't this pretty typical of Square Enix though?

confuziz

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
There is for multimillion sellers. What's the PS3 market looking like for multimillion selling games?

Exactly one =P, and that one didn't even reach 2 million (FFXIII)

This is awesome news though, even though I am not a big Dragon Quest fan, I'm eager to see what they've done with this game on Wii.

PounchEnvy said:
Isn't this pretty typical of Square Enix though?
At the very least, it is contradictory for this generation. We saw Dragon Quest IX in its early form, and then in a later form, and then just before it released.

To my recollection, we have NEVER seen Dragon Quest X in any form except a logo.

BitchTits

DQVIII style is just what I want :)

I do hope they capitalize on the ground the brand has gained on DS in the west though, because I don't think a Wii game is going to have the same impact.

5577679032_7bb3280434.jpg

Quixzlizx

lunchwithyuzo said:
There is for multimillion sellers. What's the PS3 market looking like for multimillion selling games?

Obviously DQX will break this trend, but how many third-party multimillion Wii sellers are there in Japan?

Top Bottom