• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X still coming to Wii, announcement by year's end says Horii

Nintendo Power: Do you see any advantages to making Dragon Quest on a home console again?

Yuji Horii: The next Dragon Quest game, Dragon Quest X, will actually be released on Wii. I feel that some users will want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen, which is why we are working toward releasing it on Wii. Of course, in the future we might develop on handhelds again, so it's really a case-by-case basis. It all depends on what the customer wants at that time. Something else we hear is that players want a new Dragon Quest that follows the same system of Dragon Quest VIII, so that's something else we're taking into consideration while in development for a Dragon Quest on Wii.

Nintendo Power: Is development on Dragon Quest X proceeding smoothly?

Yuji Horii: All we can say is that development is going well and we're on the last parts of the game. We can't really share much else at this point, but by the end of this year we should be able to announce something regarding it.

Source is Nintendo Go. Apparently it isn't the whole interview, so if anyone has the magazine and would post more of it, I'll update the OP.

Chairhome

cosmicblizzard said:
Source is Nintendo Go. Apparently it isn't the whole interview one, so if anyone has the magazine and would post more of it, I'll update the OP.
Like Dragon Quest VIII? I'd prefer something like IX... this is good news, but I prefer portable DQ....

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yay, now we can have another month or two of being spared from the constant "lol, no way it's coming to Wii still", as if the other confirmations weren't enough already.

Edit: woah, it seems even this is not enough. Sure guys, wait for the NGP port... Sigh.

Truth101

Banned
Makes me laugh. I don't understand how people thought it would go anywhere else but the Wii.

I wonder if those people will show up in this thread.

Edit:

This game has taken an incredibly long time to develop, I'm expecting great things from it when it comes out.

Acquiesc3

Banned
*raises hand*

I'll probably pick it up once it heads stateside. Still hoping they're considering a ps3 version though.

It's not too late yet!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Glad we can put this to rest now.

No way they're going to change platform. Way too many Wiis out there already.

Can't wait to hear more, of course. But I really feel that in between this time they should have remade DQVII (then again that could also take time).

cosmicblizzard said:
Something else we hear is that players want a new Dragon Quest that follows the same system of Dragon Quest VIII, so that's something else we're taking into consideration while in development for a Dragon Quest on Wii.

Hell yes. Please DQ VIII style again!

It'd be awesome to get a dual release on Wii and 3DS, with the power of the machines being pretty close. Imagine the link up possibilities. It could be like DQ9's, but with cross-platform team play.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt that there will be a 3DS port. The systems are fairly comparable, and IX did great on the DS. Still, it's a shame it couldn't come this year when the Wii REALLY needs it in Japan.

Truth101

Banned
Acquiesc3 said:
*raises hand*

I'll probably pick it up once it heads stateside. Still hoping they're considering a ps3 version though.

It's not too late yet!

You can wish and hope, but that is just not going to happen.

Also, I'm hoping for Dragon Quest VII to be remade for the 3DS or the Wii, I know it was said that there are multiple Dragon Quest games being developed for the Wii but the other could just be a Dragon Quest Swords or some such game...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But GAF told me a Wii release wouldnt make sense. Hmm..Horii or GAF, dont know which source to trust.

RPGCrazied

almost done eh? trailer at E3 prehaps? I need more games for the Wii, getting kinda dusty. I'll dust it off for this and zelda.

Aeana

It was supposed to be announced in December. Something must have gone wrong. Glad to hear things seem to be going well now, at least.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Truth101 said:
You can wish and hope, but that is just not going to happen.

Yeah, I know it's not likely but hey. Surely it's not too late to consider the huge ps3 market in Japan (at this point atleast).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wonder what companion games they might make for it?

DQ VII Wii would be awesome, VIII would be even better.

Linkup

Truth101 said:
This game has taken an incredibly long time to develop, I'm expecting great things from it when it comes out.

Really? I thought it's development time is actually shorter than most DQ games, not that I've been paying much attention or anything.

Give it up on the port stuff guys.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope DQX will have DQV's content and quality with DQVIII's world.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Wii software support in Japan has been really abysmal recently, I wonder if this would cause a few developers to jump back on know the system will get a huge boost from this.

Philthy

DQ VIII was the best in the series so far, I think. I loved the 3d/1st person elements to it all. The handheld ones were nice, too, but I still love VIII out of them all. It was amazing.

Hobbun

Yuji Horii said:
I feel that some users will want to play Dragon Quest on the big screen, which is why we are working toward releasing it on Wii.Something else we hear is that players want a new Dragon Quest that follows the same system of Dragon Quest VIII, so that's something else we're taking into consideration

That's me! I like hearing this news, as I also loved DQ VIII.

Just as long as they also keep it true to DQ and not shake up the combat, then I am good. They originally did so for IX, but thankfully changed it back.

Foffy

Banned
And who said the Wii has nothing besides Zelda? ;)

My body is ready, even if it'll be a while. What's the likelihood of them trying a worldwide release with DQX?

[Nintex]

Maybe the 'end of year' part was meant for the US market, I think Square Enix will announce/show it earlier in Japan unless something has gone really wrong.

Princess Skittles said:
Wii software support in Japan has been really abysmal recently, I wonder if this would cause a few developers to jump back on know the system will get a huge boost from this.
DQX will move some systems, but this late in the generation nothing's going to be a true "system-seller" in the more dramatic sense of the term, even the platform debut of a hugely popular franchise like Dragon Quest. I think it'll sell very well and that we'll see Wii sales go up, but I don't see it being sufficient to change the minds of other developers (whose problem doesn't seem to be the size of the install base or even the willingness of said base to buy high-profile non-casual games).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
I hope DQX will have DQV's content and quality with DQVIII's world.
Yes. YES.

I also hope for orchestrated music like the US version of DQ8 had. That added so much to the quality of the already-wonderful presentation of the world.

Top Bottom