• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

Robin64

Nintendo really messed up convincing S-E to make DQX for Wii and then not bringing out the Wii U version in NA. Such a waste. We could have been playing DQX this whole time while the Wii U drought stretches on forever.

Thanks for reminding me and making me feel sad. :(

Darius

Banned
Honestly, at this time and age, the more platforms it releases on, the better.

The 3DS isn't the NDS for sure.

It´s a system that supports 4m sellers (MH,Pkm and AC) in Japan and sold more than PS2 in the same timeframe over there. On the other hand we have a PS4 that will have a lower track record than PS3 starting next week in Japan. I don´t see a reason to waste any resources to port it to such a small userbase.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hope its on 3DS - portable is a must for me, though i´ll play it on any platform.

I'll take it on whatever platform it gets released on, unless it's an Xbone/mobile/browser game.

A PS4-level DQ would be amazing. A 3DS one is fine too.

Hope its on 3DS - portable is a must for me, though i´ll play it on any platform.

On the one hand, 3DS is a good match, and they seem to like it (with 9 getting a DS release and selling gangbusters).

On the other hand, the PS4 needs to get some JRPGs, and man those graphics in that Dragon Quest X trailer just look soooo gooood

On the one hand, 3DS is a good match, and they seem to like it (with 9 getting a DS release and selling gangbusters).

On the other hand, the PS4 needs to get some JRPGs, and man those graphics in that Dragon Quest X trailer just look soooo gooood

Just imagine if Square-Enix gave the PS4 the three hit combo of Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and Dragon Quest XI.

If none of them were disappointments it'd already have a better JRPG library than the PS3.

RM8

Needs to be on 3DS, but I'll play it regardless.

PS4, guys? I just can't see it on anything short of 3DS or mobile.

May16

will never be in english ;_;

Oh it will.
If fans beg and beg and beg for years, including Facebook campaigns and Twitter hashtag spam and online petitions, and if game journalists keep asking about it in every single interview, and after all that, Nintendo agrees to publish it.

But that's all it will take!
Be excited!

Being 3DS exclusive won't stop the game from selling a ton like MH4 did. The 3DS not matching up to DS doesn't really matter.

I don't think SE is going to bother with any new major PS3 games.

Nah, SE is moving on. I can see why Atlus is sticking with it for Persona 4 (they're a lot smaller, they know it) but SE is big enough that if they release something only for PS360 it just seems.. sad somehow.

watershed

Banned
With all the DQ games that came out on the DS, I've grown to associate the franchise with portable gaming. And even though I want a huge, epic adventure I think the 3ds could pull it off just fine.

Faustek

Good to see that people remember that.

Now where is the quote where he implies it'll probably be multiplatform meaning those of us that like to suffer(prefer Vita) still have hope.

I was wrong, it was Miyake who said it.

Executive producer Yuu Miyake also brought up the more practical, financial side of running a successful MMO. "One thing I can say," he said, "looking across the series from DQ8 onward, is that the business model of creating a retail package and releasing it exclusively on a single platform has become difficult to execute. Gamers' play styles and tastes are getting segmented, and we can't settle on a single platform.”

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/45...s-discuss-the-pc-port-and-eventual-us-release

I still believe SE will make it available on nearly every single platform.....just not in English.

However, when Horii made the comment, Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito and chief planner Anzai Takashi looked as though they weren’t expecting him to say that, as if it might have been something he shouldn’t have said.

Oh no! Now they know that we're making a new dragon quest!

Celine

Well the last globally acclaimed title was DQ and it was on a home console.
I guess if DQXI were to be on PS4 it would start moving a lot of consoles in japan, and sell more than decently worldwide.
The last globally acclaimed and best selling DQ game was on a handhald.
DQX sold better than FF mmorpg (at lesst in Japan).

Honestly: The 3DS is capable enough to make it look close to VIII .

I hope Level-5 is involved as code monkeys again, they can make the hardware sing ....and are good at 3D modeling.

Either way, I hope it comes over here (I don´t care if it is for 3DS/Vita, PS3/4/ WiiU).

Eusis

However, when Horii made the comment, Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito and chief planner Anzai Takashi looked as though they weren’t expecting him to say that, as if it might have been something he shouldn’t have said.
"Look guys I've been doing this for nearly three decades we're not fooling anyone here by playing dumb."

KtSlime

yeah it looks amazing.

I am baffled at how SE developed this game and then consistently killed it off soon after.

Holyshit at their decisions sometimes.Atleast try your luck with this game!

What on Earth are you talking about? DQX is not dead, far from it, it just got a second release a few months ago, is on 3 platforms, and has a very strong presence in Internet/manga cafes through out Japan.

Doesn't matter what system it will be on if it doesn't come out off Japan. DQX is on PC and we still haven't had a chance to play it. So stupid.

Eusis

What on Earth are you talking about? DQX is not dead, far from it, it just got a second release a few months ago, is on 3 platforms, and has a very strong presence in Internet/manga cafes through out Japan.
Might be thinking (somewhat narrowly admittedly, not that SE isn't guilty of this in a different way) that they make it for one country or at least one general region, then don't release it in the rest of the world to profit off of. This ignores it may be more than profitable enough in Asia and that it may be too different from what people are used to in MMOs to warrant release here... though half the problem with the MMO scene is that there ISN'T much variety, so having something distinctive passed over in fears of international acceptance can be maddening.

There is unfortunately a high possibility they're right given they don't have a huge DQ base to work with, but it's the kind of risk aversion that's helped cement WoW as the only MMO with a hugeass base. And even though it's not necessary to match it that leads into how often MMOs go F2P sooner than later anymore.

HeelPower

in the west I mean.This game should hella come to PS4/XB1 in western territories.

KtSlime

Might be thinking (somewhat narrowly admittedly, not that SE isn't guilty of this in a different way) that they make it for one country or at least one general region, then don't release it in the rest of the world to profit off of. This ignores it may be more than profitable enough in Asia and that it may be too different from what people are used to in MMOs to warrant release here... though half the problem with the MMO scene is that there ISN'T much variety, so having something distinctive passed over in fears of international acceptance can be maddening.

There is unfortunately a high possibility they're right given they don't have a huge DQ base to work with, but it's the kind of risk aversion that's helped cement WoW as the only MMO with a hugeass base. And even though it's not necessary to match it that leads into how often MMOs go F2P sooner than later anymore.

I think they probably are right for not releasing it in the west, I'm playing 9 at the moment trying to get the rest of the maps before they shut down the servers, and decided to visit IGN's walkthrough, and noticed that even though the game was released almost 5 years ago, and they describe the walkthrough as "extensive" it was only partially completed. I don't really look at their guides, so perhaps this is the norm for them, but them not completing the walkthrough tells me that perhaps there wasn't enough interest in the game to do so. I imagine there is even less interest for X.

Doesn't matter what system it will be on if it doesn't come out off Japan. DQX is on PC and we still haven't had a chance to play it. So stupid.

in the west I mean.This game should hella come to PS4/XB1 in western territories.

No one is stopping you from importing.

People seem pretty up on DQX. Is it actually good?

It's okay, I haven't had much time/money to play it recently, and I feel the story is a bit weak, but it can be fun taking down some big enemies with friends.

sublimit

Banned
yeah it looks amazing.

I am baffled at how SE developed this game and then consistently killed it off soon after.

Holyshit at their decisions sometimes.Atleast try your luck with this game!

The moment i saw that trailer a DQ game that aimed for those kind of graphics in real time became my dream as well.Could you imagine a DQ game like VIII with those visuals?I don't know if it would have been a good game or not but in terms of graphics i think it would have been one of the most beautiful games of all time.

Too bad SE isn't ambitious enough though and they like to play as safe as possible when it comes to DQ.It's basically the same situation as Monster Hunter.Even if the PS4 becomes as succesful as 3DS the cost's of production will be enough for SE to choose the later.
So better get used to 3DS graphics because that's the best DQ will look for at least the next 5 years.Especially if in the future the main series goes to mobile only.

Faustek

I think they probably are right for not releasing it in the west, I'm playing 9 at the moment trying to get the rest of the maps before they shut down the servers, and decided to visit IGN's walkthrough, and noticed that even though the game was released almost 5 years ago, and they describe the walkthrough as "extensive" it was only partially completed. I don't really look at their guides, so perhaps this is the norm for them, but them not completing the walkthrough tells me that perhaps there wasn't enough interest in the game to do so. I imagine there is even less interest for X.

No one is stopping you from importing.

It's okay, I haven't had much time/money to play it recently, and I feel the story is a bit weak, but it can be fun taking down some big enemies with friends.

Ign is mostly filled with scavanged FAQs/walkthroughs and very little original content.

But didn't they say DQIX store would stay up? Of do I need my meds again?

Top Bottom