• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown Thread of Import Impressions and Elf

Had to go to Tokyo for a work meeting today, so I stopped by Akihabara on my way home to check prices out. One store had the PS3 version at 8800 yen, VITA 7900 yen. Cheapest I found was 6900 yen for both versions at TRADER. And they had 2 used VITA copies for 6400 yen! Too expensive for me, will wait for NA PSN release instead.

Kyoufu

Enjoying this so far, but I haven't unlocked multiplayer yet.

Picked the Elf who is fun to play. Can't wait to unlock more skills. English narration seems decent.

One thing I don't like on the PS3 version is the right stick usage. It's not a big deal but it's somewhat cumbersome.

sonicmj1

I paid off my Amazon copy yesterday, but it still hasn't shipped. I'm wondering if there are supply issues going on right now that are driving up some of the store prices.

StayDead

I decided to grab it off PSN as amiami were out of stock. Similar price if you include shipping but I had to get a 10k yen card from playasia to cover it since they won't accept my card ._>

I found Far Cry 3 unplayable on consoles due to the framerate.

Would it bother me? Well, assuming you've played it on consoles...or at all

Well I haven’t actually played Dragon's Crown yet, I'm just going with what I've seen and read on it so far.

I have played Far Cry 3 though - it won't be like that. If it was no way would I go near the Vita version! : P

JokerAceX

I decided to grab it off PSN as amiami were out of stock. Similar price if you include shipping but I had to get a 10k yen card from playasia to cover it since they won't accept my card ._>

IMO the best place to get point cards is japan-codes you just pay for the card and the redeem code is emailed to you like 10 minutes later, unless playasia has a similar setup.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah. Without spoiling too much, bosses get a huge power spike out of nowhere and you're stuck grinding on enemies that give barely any EXP. I've basically made no progess in the last 2 hours.
Multiplayer!

Yep, in the options menu you have the ability to hide or show Damage values, HP Gauge and Subtitles. There is even a space for Narrator, which right now can't be changed from default. I'm guessing DLC?
0mOn3at.jpg

Could you post the Sound Options?

.la1n

Yeah. Without spoiling too much, bosses get a huge power spike out of nowhere and you're stuck grinding on enemies that give barely any EXP. I've basically made no progress in the last 2 hours.

This is unfortunate news, last thing I want to do in a game like this is have a grind a thon.

ranmafan

Just played the tutorial today on the vita but it was so nice and good looking. Cant wait to dig deeper into it and the ps3 version Also got some nice goodies with my special edition. Heres a pic of it:

m2V4etr.jpg

The wall scroll is quite crazy. Even my wife got a laugh from it!

BadWolf

Yeah. Without spoiling too much, bosses get a huge power spike out of nowhere and you're stuck grinding on enemies that give barely any EXP. I've basically made no progress in the last 2 hours.

Damn, seems I was right in not trusting these guys with the gameplay. They make beautiful looking games but always seem to find a way to mess up the gameplay.

Grinding is the last thing I would want to do in a game like this.

Had to go to Tokyo for a work meeting today, so I stopped by Akihabara on my way home to check prices out. One store had the PS3 version at 8800 yen, VITA 7900 yen. Cheapest I found was 6900 yen for both versions at TRADER. And they had 2 used VITA copies for 6400 yen! Too expensive for me, will wait for NA PSN release instead.

... What?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How are the voices? I usually prefer English over Japanese if the English dub is good, at least for story bits, but if there's battle cries and stuff I'd rather have them in Japanese. xD

Himself

Damn, seems I was right in not trusting these guys with the gameplay. They make beautiful looking games but always seem to find a way to mess up the gameplay.

Grinding is the last thing I would want to do in a game like this.

Grinding is the last thing I want to do in any game, ever. It's just such a shitty mechanic and deserves the same amount of derision, probably more, as QTEs, etc. It just shows zero respect for the fact that the player is a human being with a limited amount of time on this planet.

Suddenly, I'm not very excited for this game, especially if the entire second half is a slog. May cancel pre-order to be honest.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Would playing coop alleviate the difficulty of those bosses? Or do enemies get stronger if you have more players? I hate grinding too, this is really alarming...

StayDead

IMO the best place to get point cards is japan-codes you just pay for the card and the redeem code is emailed to you like 10 minutes later, unless playasia has a similar setup.

I had the code right away. I used Japan-codes last time but had to wait a day and a half for my code so didn't want to risk it again and it was only 40p cheaper.

Still annoying that both are miles more expensive than the actual point value though.

ironchair

Banned
Just played the tutorial today on the vita but it was so nice and good looking. Cant wait to dig deeper into it and the ps3 version Also got some nice goodies with my special edition. Heres a pic of it:

m2V4etr.jpg

The wall scroll is quite crazy. Even my wife got a laugh from it!
I'm confused. Where does her right leg go and what is coming out of her sleeve?

Moofers

Are you sure you're not missing something? Like a way to power up or improve weapons? A stage that bridges the difficulty? You're playing the JP version, right? Can you read katakana/hiragana?

Not saying this isn't true, but after a little over 2 hours I've not experienced this. Is it later bosses? Are you doing side quests? Are you ressurecting and using better leveled up ai characters with your party?

So uh... dat wallscroll

kinda want, not gonna lie

Also the framerate drops on the Vita is a little disappointing, but I'll deal with it as is. My Vita library needs this more than my PS3 library (currently 2 cartridges and 9 downloadable games vs 9 discs and about 35 downloadable games). That said I'll probably double dip for the PS3 version later on.

Also one thing in the game that is a bit grating is the narrator. While I like it...in town every single time you leave a shop or location he repeats what your supposed to be doing and its like "OK I GET IT.... SHUT UP"

LegatoB

Does the Japanese release have an English text option? I'm really tempted to grab it off JPSN, but if there's no way to switch the language it'll be really annoying for future couch co-op

zroid

Banned
Why won't you touch online play for a game like this?

I just never really bought into the whole online thing. I like playing games with my friends, sitting together in the same room, sharing a big bowl of chips. I rarely even play games online with my IRL friends, let alone GAFfers and strangers. :(

Top Bottom