• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Found it to be unplayable on PS3. Framerate was so bad it induced headaches. I gave it a good half hour at best.

The Internet insisted it is fantastic.

Picked it up on PC. I'm can't even explain how much it hooked me. I swear I was physically in distress while not playing it until I was done with it (max level, end boss on hard, farming him).

10/10, would do physical harm to self to play again. :D

I feel sorry for you... To be that sensitive, how do you play anything. I beat the game without any issues.

flkraven

Hey guys. Always been a little curious about this game, but not even enough to heavily research it. Is this more like a Dark Souls experience (minimal story, focus is on meticulous combat) or is it more like a Witcher game (heavy story, cut scenes, etc)?

Hey guys. Always been a little curious about this game, but not even enough to heavily research it. Is this more like a Dark Souls experience (minimal story, focus is on meticulous combat) or is it more like a Witcher game (heavy story, cut scenes, etc)?

I would say in between. It is definetly more story focused than Dark Souls, though not really much, which is actually a good thing in my opinion. I love the game. It balances story/gameplay incredibly well.

Do Better

It's combat focused, but the they try to make the story matter.

flkraven

I would say in between. It is definetly more story focused than Dark Souls, though not really much, which is actually a good thing in my opinion. I love the game. It balances story/gameplay incredibly well.

It's combat focused, but the they try to make the story matter.

Is this the type of game where you have multiple playthroughs, or more of a 1 long, big playthrough? Sorry if my questions seem abnoxious lol

SpotAnime

Is this the type of game where you have multiple playthroughs, or more of a 1 long, big playthrough? Sorry if my questions seem abnoxious lol

There is a main quest but there are several side quests which you might not see the all the first time through. But running through the game with different character specs and pawns would be the main reason to play through again. I'd say it's more like Oblivion in that sense.

A couple of years ago I put together a LTTP, and got some valuable feedback from some folks:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024801&page=1

flkraven

There is a main quest but there are several side quests which you might not see the all the first time through. But running through the game with different character specs and pawns would be the main reason to play through again. I'd say it's more like Oblivion in that sense.

A couple of years ago I put together a LTTP, and got some valuable feedback from some folks:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024801&page=1

Thanks. This is great info.

BigEmil

Capcom Japan uploaded a video for this:

https://youtu.be/C0Gx3GCp1hY

(Copy paste description from the YouTube video and got this from Google Translate)
JapaneseOfficial website ⇒ http: //www.capcom.co.jp/DD-DA/
Dragons dogma: Dark Alisen
■ Release date: scheduled on October 5, 2017 (Thursday)
■ Supported Hardware: PlayStation® 4 / Xbox One / PC
■ Genre: Open World Action
■ Number of players: 1 person (Multiplayer network)
■ CERO rating: D (subjects over 17 years old)
■ Price: 【Package version】 (PS 4) 3,990 yen + tax
【Download version】 (PS4) 3,694 yen + tax / (Xbox One) 3,700 yen + tax / (PC) 3,694 yen + tax
* Xbox One, PC will be sold only as download version.
※ PC will be sold on Valve's STEAM.
Open world action boasting worldwide cumulative total of 3.2 million series worldwide!

JapaneseOpen world action boasting worldwide cumulative total of 3.2 million series worldwide!
The hero who was robbed of the heart by the dragon revives as "a remembrance".
Why was he chosen as a dragon?
To solve the mystery and to regain its own heart, to a spectacular journey to follow the dragon -
Open world action that can be expanded on the vast Kasadis Peninsula.
In collaboration with colleagues called pawn, swing swords on the front as a strong warrior,
Sometimes becoming a sorcerer and becoming a support from the backwards, the extent of that play depends on the player.
Then, "Dragons dogma: Dark Aliens", including large-scale additional content "Kurimushima"
Completely recorded additional elements!
In this work that fulfilled the 1080p high resolution, let's go on an adventure that I imagined!

dlauv

First time ive heard about this game, looks nice, will i like it if i like souls games?

No. It's nothing like them.

It's about questing in an open world with class-based character building. The fighting is really decent for open world, but it's also kind of shallow and easy.

Edit: Actually the Dark Arisen DLC has some pretty Souls-y level design. You might like that.

kuroshiki

I need to play co-op with my brother. unless that, yeah. not so much excited.

Didn't even finish DD PC version, and I played PS3 version like there is no tomorrow.

I need to play co-op with my brother. unless that, yeah. not so much excited.

Didn't even finish DD PC version, and I played PS3 version like there is no tomorrow.

No excuse that we don't have pure co-op Dragon's Dogma yet.

and I'm not talking about DDOnline either.
Although I'd gladly take it at this point >_>

dlauv

Put it on hard then.

The combat is fun and enjoyable.

You get one shot or two shot for a few hours while hacking at inflated health bars until it gets easy again.

Bad hard mode.

Fun and enjoyable are subjective. I think it's fun in a ho-hum kind of way, but I think its supplementary systems and design take a lot of wind out of its sails. "One man's 'trash,'" and all that.

First time ive heard about this game, looks nice, will i like it if i like souls games?

Do you like Berserk?

berserkawprd.gif

Sylas

Triple dipping on this. Got the PS3 release, PC release and I'll be buying the PS4 version. Legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. Which is saying something, I suppose.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I still don't understand what the PC version of this rerelease brings to the table. 4K/better framerate for consoles, sure, but the current release can already run in 4K@60fps on PC, so what's the benefit here? New content? New textures? Anything?

I still don't understand what the PC version of this rerelease brings to the table. 4K/better framerate for consoles, sure, but the current release can already run in 4K@60fps on PC, so what's the benefit here? New content? New textures? Anything?
Japanese localization, I believe. This port will likely be exactly the same as RE6 on PS4/XBO, so like the PC version of DD:DA it will likely feature:

FOV slider(s).
1080p
Possibly higher resolutions for PS4 Pro.

Yep I'm gonna lose another 200 hours to this game. Gonna run my crew of girls around wrecking shit like the good old days.

I know it's probably impossible but it'd be awesome if Capcom somehow stored player characters and pawns server side from the old version tied to the user account. No matter, I'm just gonna spend a good two hours in character customization again!

Zhao_Yun

The PC version is exactly the same as the one that is on Steam right now, but since it was not released in Japan before they are releasing it there now. For the West only the console ports are of interest.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
please be 60 fps
please be 60 fps
please be 60 fps

shit, lets not beat around the bush here, it probably won't be, they'll go for 4K and 30 won't they?

bugger....

If it looks anywhere near as good as Horizon ZD then I could live with 4K 30fps.

You fucking joking? I've watched this video. Am I the only one struggling to see just how much it's been remastered? I am really struggling to see the improvement. Resolution doesn't seem to have helped much but all those blurry textures and the quality of some of those NPCs scream lazy. Just like some other of Capcoms updates. Flat textures and landscapes that really become apparent now.

I loved Dragons Dogma, I bought the PS3 version and double dipped on Dark Arisen and I want to buy this but it looks like there is so much yet to be improved.

I have not really paid attention to the game before. I am playing the skyrim remastered right and this looks way better from an animation perspective. Just wish it was crisp.

You guys are weak. This'll be my 5th purchase of DD.

Might even buy the XB1 port to, when it goes on sale ;p

More than did my part. xD

Yep I'm gonna lose another 200 hours to this game. Gonna run my crew of girls around wrecking shit like the good old days.

I know it's probably impossible but it'd be awesome if Capcom somehow stored player characters and pawns server side from the old version tied to the user account. No matter, I'm just gonna spend a good two hours in character customization again!
I don't think Capcom will allow us to get our level 200 pawns from the rift.

No excuse that we don't have pure co-op Dragon's Dogma yet.

and I'm not talking about DDOnline either.
Although I'd gladly take it at this point >_>
Yup. The pawns function exactly like playable characters with the same classes and moves, but they're A.I.

I'll take DDO too if the former isn't possible, or if they're not making a full-on sequel.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Even if they allow that I am gonna make a new fresh character regardless. I mean my old pawn has given me millions and millions of rift points already, lol.

Top Bottom