• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can't believe this game is coming out in 2 weeks

It's my first time playing it, I'm beyond excited with all the positive response from here

Is Magick Archer the most fun class?

So many of Magick Archer's skills are very good in Bitterblack Isle it can appear like as if the Dungeon is custom made for it, lol.

Slygmous

I literally hate the new song that replaced "Into Free". It's awful, annoying and headache-inducing. Unfortunately we cannot mod it out this time. Sad.
It's not a new song though, they just remixed one of the existing pieces. I think it plays during the opening at the beach. It contains some of the main themes that are also used throughout the game's musical score.

Into Free was pretty amusing, but it never really fit the tone of the game, IMO.
That said, I'm not a fan of the vocal delivery of the title theme though.

Snoopycat

Banned
They toned it down, but it's still an annoyance for some people.

After a couple of hours it really started getting on my nerves, especially when I was walking through long areas of the map. I'll probably buy it anyway because I never played the expansion

Its a budget release and doesn’t look much different to the ps3 version, so 60fps is very unlikely. I may pick it up even though i have the ps3 version via ps plus unplayed.

A third party seller on Wal-Mart’s website seems to already be shipping. This seems like a game that could break the street date under the radar. May have to go look at Best Buy and Wal-Mart on my lunch break, although I’d rather get the GCU discount.

That's the whole point, with fantasy RPGs you come expecting the same type of song as all the other fantasy RPGs.

Then suddenly BAM! J-Rock!

It's memorable and it sticks.
The best part is the build up too. At first you just have the piano so you're not entirely aware something is amiss, then the guitars kick in and you're thinking "ok... that's odd" then the singing finally bursts in and you're sitting there wondering what the heck is even going on anymore. It's fab :3

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hated that song... it was annoying.

But I can understand why some are upset they changed it.

Why can't they realize they should make DD 2 allready? :(
It's cheaper to do a Remaster, by an order of magnitude ;)

I suspect they'll look closely at sales figures in deciding if the series has a future, but the problem is that the Remaster isn't really bringing anything new, and you can't even import your old character or pawn. It makes it a tough sale, even for people who adored the original.

theofficefan99

So can someone tell me what makes the game so great?

I remember playing the demo; the combat seemed surprisingly great, but I was annoyed with the constant interruptions by my party members. You can turn those off, right?

Also, from the clips of the game I've seen... it seems like the entire game is spent either in a cave or in the most generic-looking forest ever. Is there any kind of environment variety?

And is the story entertaining at all, or no?

The combat looks great but I'm not sure if the game has anything else to offer

Exentryk

I remember playing the demo; the combat seemed surprisingly great, but I was annoyed with the constant interruptions by my party members. You can turn those off, right?

Also, from the clips of the game I've seen... it seems like the entire game is spent either in a cave or in the most generic-looking forest ever. Is there any kind of environment variety?

It's mainly the combat that makes it great. Everything else is pretty crap. Poor story, poor characters, poor quests, etc. But still, the diverse combat with being able to climb monsters, different classes, varied abilities, and the pawn system makes it fairly enjoyable. There is a decent size world with above land and below land areas that keeps the locatoins fresh. Though the diversity isn't that high. There is a post-game dungeon which is underground, but it is really well done.

I personally found it quite enjoyable to build my pawns and watching them demolish enemies by themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaL4ujcIg8

1454937179-dd-bbi-gif-2.gif

Kyoufu

Yeah you can turn off the camera cuts. Honestly it's worth it for the combat alone. You'll have a great time playing the game because the gameplay is superb and that's what really matters.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Exciting boss/mini-boss battles (the
Griffin
was absolutely pitch perfect), phenomenal combat, looks lush, clever low-key metanarrative underpinning everything, great synergy between perks, devestating spells, super flexible character creator, and CLIMBINGONMONSTERSSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTABBbaaAAaaaaAAAAAAAB

Strangely, the game begins to get really good once you complete the main story.

People have already mentioned the combat, but it's also worth mentioning how the interactions of the game really create interesting situations you just don't get in other games. Simple things like getting wet dousing your lantern causing you to stop and consider walking through that waterfall to the passage behind it, to more complex stuff like when I surprised a cyclops on a spiral staircase by grabbing onto it's back, causing it to fall down the gaping chasm next to it, with me riding it all the way down, stabbing it furiously the whole way only to be surprised that I survived it due to the giant corpse cushioning the fall :p
Heck, here's a more nuanced example: when my character grabs onto a flying harpy in the air, I'm small and light so the harpy can actually still fly off with me clinging to it. However, if you make a big character you'll actually drag the harpy to the ground instead.

Best Buy came through again with shipping my copy early, I should have it today. This and Mario at the end of the month are all I need until 2018.

nemisis0

30 or 60fps it's like no one wants to answer that question lol

Looks like a locked 30fps and the graphics on the pro are really clean and sharp. Textures are also really amazing. Putting the camera senssitivty to max makes it feel 60fps.

The videos don't really do it any justice.

Zeta Oni

Looks like a locked 30fps and the graphics on the pro are really clean and sharp. Textures are also really amazing. Putting the camera senssitivty to max makes it feel 60fps.

The videos don't really do it any justice.

Are there any specific pro enhancements?

And would you mind taking some screenshots I could use for the OT?

Best I have are ones pulled from YouTube videos that have a lot of compression, so it would be nice to have something actually representative of the game.

Top Bottom