• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Goli

12123c7sp2.png

GAF PSN/XBLA list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmZYod-EUivdFJwRHJwenJzTVVnMkU2WDVVTWQyS3c#gid=0

1xnpoo.png

Developer/Publisher:
CAPCOM

Release dates:
Americas: 23/4/13
Japan: 25/4/2013
Europe: 26/4/2013

Price: $39.99/€29.99

Platforms:
PS3 (retail/download, click here to purchase via SEN/PSN web store)
360 (retail, download coming TBA 2013)

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is an expanded re-release of last year's Dragon's Dogma, including the whole original game only now enhanced with new content including skills, armor sets, Japanese VA, hairstyles and much more, however, the most important addition is Bitterblack Isle, a whole new set of grounds to explore with new enemies, quests and characters previously not available. People with data from their adventures in Dragon's Dogma can transfer it to Dark Arisen and continue on from where they left off, or start over and experience the game from the beggining with all the new enhancements. Transferring over your data also give you a bunch of bonuses for doing so, namely 100,000 RC, unlimited Ferrystones and a bunch of costumes/armor sets.
For a full list of changes click here.
Please note that Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen will NOT be availiable as DLC for the original version.
26grxz.png

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Trailers/Gameplay playlist
4swobq.png

Dragon's Dogma Compendium of Wisdom app for iOS/Android
Dragon's Dogma Pawns Unleashed app for iOS
Dragon's Dogma Original Soundtrack ($9.99)
Dragon's Dogma OT
Dragon's Dogma PS3 demo SEN webstore page
Dragon's Dogma PS3 "Adventure" demo SEN webstore page
Official Website

CHusson91

Banned
I saw this on PSN last night but I've never heard of it. Is it an expansion or a full sequel to the first game?

*edit: nevermind, I read the OP summary.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pre-ordered the PS3 version earlier today. Props to Capcom for releasing this for about 25 bucks.

Never played the vanilla version, was holding on until this one released. I'm really looking forward to this.

Nemesis_

Is the frame rate better?

Having played the opening of Dark Arisen I don't think it is.

My memory of the vanilla game is very hazy but if the frame rate has been improved in Dark Arisen then it must have been pretty fucking bad in DD.

Pooya

subscribed for later, don't know when I get to play this.

probably start with a new character, clean slate.

Rootbeer

Banned
I wish they were able to make some performance enhancements, but fine... for $39.99 I'll take it since I never played the original release.

Eusis

I wish they were able to make some performance enhancements, but fine... for $39.99 I'll take it since I never played the original release.
There's only so much you can do anyway without porting to a stronger platform.

May get this sooner than later afterall, I'll just trade in the original DD and possibly Metal Gear Rising since I don't even think I'll get to that again seriously any time soon.

Nemesis_

I'm on my phone at the moment but I did post some sketchy impressions in the other thread for this.

I've been so busy with work and whatnot that I've not been able to give GAF proper impressions which is a bit annoying.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've seen comparisons with Dark Souls. Are they accurate?

I remember playing this game at PAX11 and liking it, but never tried the full game.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I remember playing this game at PAX11 and liking it, but never tried the full game.
It's more of its own thing. Most Souls comparisons only came because they're both fantasy games from Japan, which is... vague.

AJ_Wings

Other than the fact that they're both 3rd person ARPGs and the whole Dark Fantasy motif, they're wildly different in terms of gameplay and structure. Although, the new Bitterblack Isle region in Dark Arisen is a lot more similar to a Souls game in terms of level design with it being one big mega dungeon.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Will be jumping in with my lvl 73 magick archer.

As much as I despise this kind of business practice, putting as many hours as I did into the original DD, I feel obligated to play this.

An-Det

Been waiting for this for a while, my copy is on the way. Never played the original, but loved the demo and have been following the larger previous Dark Arisen thread. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

sublimit

Banned
As much as i LOVED the original game i think i'll wait a bit on this.I've spend a ridiculous amount of time in DD and i need to start focusing on some other games from my backlog...also the price is a bit too much for me to pay on day 1 just for an expansion.

Riposte

It's more of its own thing. Most Souls comparisons only came because they're both fantasy games from Japan, which is... vague.

That and it has a competent, although different, battle system compared to some other games people compare Souls to.

I wanted the original since its release but couldn't really afford it.
I'm jumping in with Dark Arisen because it's found at 20€ which is really cheap.

Can't wait to begin my adventure and go beyond the demos I already played a bunch of times.

Goli

I updated the OP with the missing links (demos, previous OT and such), and added one to Sony's web store for those who might wanna purchase it digitally.

Grisby

Playing through the game again. Going to trade in my DD disc for DA come tuesday. I forgot how much I love this game.

"WE HAVE TRIUMPHED!"

Jobbs

Banned

Not really. Both games have their own unique feel. Dark Souls was my personal GOTY of 2011, and Dragon's Dogma was my GOTY of 2012.

Great games, both 3rd person japanese action RPGs that are a slight bit more western style, and both have some outside the box asynchronous multiplayer.. But the games are definitely their own thing.

xCobalt

Got a couple of questions. Are the previous DLC included in this and is the loot better than the everfall stuff?

Top Bottom