• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Dinda

It's crazy to think that i'm so excited for a game that i already played so often.

Damn, it's finally here here. Dragon's Dogma how it always should have been...

The hype in here is making me want to play it again... but I've already sunk so much time into both the original and Dark Arisen and there are too many other games to play.

This was probably my favorite game of last gen. Using a bow in Dragon's Dogma is one of the most satisfying combat experiences I've ever had in a video game. Oh, and unleashing Thousand Kisses over and over again on a dragon's heart, with fiery magma blood spewing out with every dagger slash. The memz are flooding back...

Ooooooh, that sounds like something i'd like. What class is that?
I'm currently looking through about 15 tabs gleaning info as to what fits how i usually end up playing which sounds a lot like how you do.

FXAA is garbage anyways unless you are running 4K+ resolutions. It's basically a stop gap for consoles with limited performance budgets.

I would advise leaving both options off, then injecting AA through Gedosato, SweetFX, ENB, etc.

I might use SweetFX however if I can find one that I like the look of, however ENB looks ugly to me so I'll skip that.

Thanks for the guide on HBAO+,I'll be playing 1440P(GTX980 Ti), I'll see about 4k in the future.

posting this in here for folks joining the steam group. Basically remember that joining the group does nothing. The group is there for quick access to many DD friends

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dragonsdogmagaf

We're at 385 or so. More friends than you'll ever need, but you gotta add them all.

Advice for adding many friends:
- Get on Steam in your browser
- Ctrl+click every name in a column that isn't your friend, switch page
- Go tab by tab, add friend, close tab, rinse and repeat until you're done.

I already filled up my friends page because I kept spamming online people with invites I'm popular

Steel

Banned
Ooooooh, that sounds like something i'd like. What class is that?
I'm currently looking through about 15 tabs gleaning info as to what fits how i usually end up playing which sounds a lot like how you do.

3 classes can do that: Assassin, Strider, and Ranger.

vakarian32

Great OT!
Looking forward seeing the huge list of pawns from the Neogaf group

Me too! I just hope people do their best to avoid their pawns getting a bad inclination, been a while since I've played DA but I remember it made a huge difference. It was always so sad browsing the Rift to find the perfect pawn until you see it has a shitty inclination like Nexus :p

Santiako

Is there a demo for this? This is one of my favourite games ever and I would love to play it again and again on pc, but I'm unsure if it will run well enough on my laptop.

Vaporak

Done preloading, but I think i'll wait and check in a couple of days to see any mods/patches/issues. Got plenty to do in the meantime.

chris121580

Pre loading now! The Giant Bomb quicklook sold me on it. Looks awesome! Also, got the 25% off deal with Green Man Gaming. Can't beat it

Are pawn inclinations listed in the rift? Or will I have to gamble charging into battle to know if the pawn would prefer to pick berries?

Venfayth, Maybe you should spoiler tag that.

If it really IS a spoiler don't fucking call it out in the open, PM him.

A lot of people won't relate it to the game, so if you're just here to confirm it's a spoiler for the game you're only making it worse.

tuxfool

Banned
What makes you say that? HBAO+ is better than HBAO in many ways other than performance according to Nvidia, or is this all bullshit?

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/hbao-plus/technology

So they say. I've yet to see side-by-side comparisons of standard HBAO with HBAO+ in games.

The ENB solution is liable to be better because it is tweakable. There are already two presets that I like (for different reasons). However, as I said, I'm only guessing and it should be easy to compare both.

Ultimately I don't know if it really matters. This isn't a game that justifies the best of the best AO beyond being temporally stable and avoiding haloing.

My review for ACG Link

In a nutshell
"Though in some ways comparable to Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma feels a bit like Saints Rows appearance during GTA's reign. An oddly unique title with stellar combat and a large open world constantly reminding you of the flexibility available in any given genre. It is also fun as hell."

Woo! SR shout out! :p

I can't wait to be flying into free this evening.

You can use third party applications, but I'm not aware of Valve adding in any remote unpacking for pre-loads.

Boo. I'll see if the option shows up on the website like remote download, but otherwise I guess I'm going home for lunch to start that process.

GJ on the OT, Grief. I'm going to be terrible unproductive today because of it :p

Sarcasm

So which should I use? ENB hbao or nvidia? I also have gedasoto installed.

Second question, hard mode makes gold drop instead of rift stones, is this okay?

i5-2450M / GT630M, I can run things like Bioshock Infinite, BL2, Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders 2 fine, but I don't know how well optimized DDDA is.

Seems fine to me. Would be able to run it at 1080 even.

Sarcasm

That's not how Hard mode works. It makes more gold drop when gold does drop, it makes more rift stones drop when rift stone drop.

Read this off the wiki, it doesn't get rid of rift stones drop wise but it seems to according to wiki prioritize gold so much that the rift stone drops are very few and between.

Echoplx

So they say. I've yet to see side-by-side comparisons of standard HBAO with HBAO+ in games.

The ENB solution is liable to be better because it is tweakable. There are already two presets that I like (for different reasons). However, as I said, I'm only guessing and it should be easy to compare both.

That article has an interactive comparison between HBAO and HBAO+

http://international.download.nvidi...l-blacklist-ambient-occlusion-comparison.html

Anyway it's hard to find HBAO vs HBAO+ comparisons mainly because no one uses HBAO anymore because HBAO+ is so much better :p

Steel

Banned
Read this off the wiki, it doesn't get rid of rift stones drop wise but it seems to according to wiki prioritize gold so much that the rift stone drops are very few and between.

Hmm, never noticed that. I've played on both normal and hard and I found that rift stones dropped more on hard.

Mudo

Preordered and ready to go! one question: will it be possible to have a mod that randomizes enemy placement to some degree on respawn? that and the pawn chatter were my only gripes and capcom is letting us turn off chatter yes!!

tuxfool

Banned
That article has an interactive comparison between HBAO and HBAO+

http://international.download.nvidi...l-blacklist-ambient-occlusion-comparison.html

Anyway it's hard to find HBAO vs HBAO+ comparisons mainly because no one uses HBAO anymore because HBAO+ is so much better :p

Yeah. Could be. Honestly I actually think that at times AO looks really shitty in this game, particularly with the awful sparse grass sprites. The AO actually accentuates the sense of posterization. It looks good in places with denser ground foliage.

Top Bottom