• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Death #GOF**KYOURSELF (David Jaffe's response to giantbomb/polygon comments)

I wish he used gaf comments for the reactions.

Here are some of the GAF reactions to Drawn To Death when it was live that he could have used, tried to find the negative ones:

Jaffee is seriously the worst.

Jaffe's cringe levels are off the charts!

Oh boy another shooter

Yep, Jaffe dissapoint again, fucking arena shooter.

This is ugly.

This hurts my eyes

this game looks terrible. are they really closing the show with this? shoulda closed on no man's sky, at least. this is just gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth.

a multiplayer arena shooter from a high schooler's notebook. yeah. close the show on it.

this is terrible lol

so this game.. will follow calling all cars. RIP in 6 months.

They're going to end their conference with.... this. OK....

They close the show with this?!

Hahahahaha, what a bad way to close the show.

Really, David? A 13 year old's notebook? Or is it just your current notebook?

can I wipe my arse with the notebook?

spwolf

these two guys just nailed it.

Give the guy a break and judge his game when it's actually not in pre-fucking-alpha.

Haven't watched his video response yet, I'm at work and youtube is blocked, but I did notice he actually posted about it on twitter too.

Dave, just do your thing bro, we all got your back!!!

Actually previews/comments from the floor have been great for this, I heard few people here posting it was one of the games of the show for them after playing it.

Mxrz

People bitch about anything these days, which is a bit silly given all the horrible stuff being said to developers lately. Keep doing you, Jaffe. Not all your games have been great, but they've at least been entertaining.

Keasar

Still wanna give the game a shot, I thought the art was pretty neat and the gameplay looked to be fun. Just need a PS4 to play though.

Will M

At first I thought the video would be Jaffe yelling at a webcam but this was pretty well done. More productive for getting the word out on his game too.

Good on Jaffe, the game looks interesting. If is refreshing to see a new art style instead of the Ultra realistic graphics of today

Zabant

I do not get why everyone hates him.

Could some one elaborate?

There's a trend going on recently of getting massively offended by the slightest thing.

Jaffe is real as it gets, dude isn't PC and speaks his mind, it gets people really upset. Kinda expected from the guy that made God of War and Twisted Metal.

Nobody cared about his antics back in the 00's it was a '*slaps knee* oh gee, that crazy Jaffe' but now getting up on stage and swearing like a sailor causes people to lose their fucking minds.

imjust1n

Banned
I think we get too comfortable in saying w.e we want and this kinda messes with people maybe if we chilled out on criticizing every detail on a new game that has never even came out yet.

Lethe82

Banned
He described on stage as taking place inside a teenagers notebook and bring brutally violent. It's pretty obvious it's problematic to anyone with an ounce of social awareness.

The game is clearly not going to have an E for Everyone rating, and from looking at the game it doesn't seem to be very in depth on detailed gory violence; it's highly stylized. I consider myself to have social awareness and I don't see what makes the game problematic. In what way are you coming to this conclusion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOFwCLji3VU

EDIT: I didn't realize that this was on page 2, I just hit the wrong page by mistake, didn't realize and was scrolling down, my bad, but still!

AuRoN89

Banned
actually, i like this game, but i don't like the idea of "4 players only".

i mean... 4????' damn, put at least 8... but 4??

I'm not particularly drawn to the game (pun intended) in any way but within the context of the video, a punk video-game character reading offending things about his world it doesn't feel all that inadequate.

Sure, if you boil it down to the bare minimum facts, David Jaffe posted a video with a hashtag telling people who commented negatively about his game to go fuck themselves. If that's the only things you need/want to consider, then that's fine.

While I understand Jaffe has a history of being very candid and sometimes rude with others, I think that he's a passionate game developer whose opinions get overblown more often than not because it's a slow news day and criticising him is easy work for a few thousand pageviews.

When he confronted Kotaku's Totilo over an article that implied he was a misogynist he was very eloquent, noticeably upset, but eloquent and defended himself rather well in my opinion. I think the internet paints a far worse picture of David than he actually is, he doesn't seem like a bad person but is often driven to a point where it seems he has to act like one because of some of his work.

Noted: I don't care about God of War, I only played one of them on the PSP (I don't think he was involved in it), I've never played Twisted Metal, only seen a few videos of it. I don't have a vested interest or any relationship with Jaffe, but I think the criticism applied to Jaffe is a clear example of why this industry still needs to mature. The film industry doesn't apologise when the new horror flick comes out and some woman is cut up in pieces, tortured or raped but if a videogame comes anywhere close to doing either of those things the industry acts like the person who allowed that to exist is some kind of Hitler that hates all women. A games site is very quick to point out when boobs are too big, or a woman is raped in God of War but they conveniently forget to mention that in that game you are playing an unscrupulous villain who tears his victims to pieces and destroys any and everything that comes near him. Context is important. The only reason that criticism sticks with Jaffe so much is that he actually replies to those comments and I find it wrong that it's completely acceptable to "villainize" someone and accuse them of horrible things but if they reply in any tone other than: cold, perfectly polite, humble and apologetic, they are basically satan.

I'm sorry but I'm not jumping on this bandwaggon. I pity those who do.

Zabant

He described on stage as taking place inside a teenagers notebook and bring brutally violent. It's pretty obvious it's problematic to anyone with an ounce of social awareness.

And your point is?

People are allowed to create any kind of media they like and companies like Sony are within their rights to back them

Do you take issues with The Catcher in the Rye?
Of course not, so why take issues with this?

Ridiculous statement.

Lethe82

Banned
and some people said meh things about it and him (?) so Jaffe made a tongue and cheek video (I think?) saying #gofuckyourselves!

Razlo

I was surprised but then really not surprised GB shit on it. I thought the game looked awesome and is very original in many ways. Very much looking forward to it.

They were negative or apathetic to almost every game on the VGAs and at PSX. It was actually tiring to listen to.

It's a teenager drawing weird shit in class, how many people did this as kids? This isn't a matter of "social awareness" it's about finding the next molehill to call Mount Politically Correct.

A kid drawing demonic beings killing each other by putting gasoline in the mouth of dragons? Someone call FOX news.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
The king of controversy is back!!!!

I really don't get why some of these commenters would judge a game based on it being 4 players or the art style, it seems very closed minded. I also think the response is somewhat disproportionate, which leads me to think it is created for marketing purposes.

I know this thread has taken a life of its own but people responding do realize the video is actually taking aim at the comments section of Polygon and Giant Bomb and not Polygon/Giant Bomb actual employee comments, correct? Because it takes a special kind of person to transform Jaffe making fun of the gaming community comments into full-blown hate to the literal sites the comments happen to be hosted on.

The video is 55 seconds. 55 seconds.

Typical Jaffe, unfortunately.

Yes, people are being superficial. There's a billion games out there, and his attempt to look different might not have worked with most of the public. How about showing what the game has to offer (assuming it has more to offer than the art style)?

Oh, yeah, it's easier to tell everyone to fuck themselves. That will teach them.

Haunted

So David Jaffe told some people who said his game looks like crap via internet posts to go fuck themselves. Okay. I mean, it's hardly controversial is it.
The only controversy is that some people actually thought it looked good.

I mean, I like Jaffe both as a game designer and as a person, but seriously, wtf. Game looks garbage.

All the Giantbombcast has told me lately was that a grown man didn't know what the fuck a mortgage was and had to have it explained to him like a 9 year old child...and still couldn't understand the basics of a fucking bank loan.
But these guys are surely qualified to tell others how to make a game.
Now, come on. Projecting one person's [lack of] intelligence and knowledge about real life matters on his coworkers' knowledge about videogames is a real stretch. :p

Lethe82

Banned
The only controversy is that some people actually thought it looked good.

I mean, I like Jaffe both as a game designer and as a person, but seriously, wtf. Game looks garbage.

I feel like it's the art style that has made the bad impression. Everything IS very notebook esque, but right now that means it's kind of a undefined visual mess. The artistic challenge of staying true to that artistic concept, while delivering something visually appeal and readable in motion is no small feat.

Oh we get it, you just changed the words to better fit your motive. It's cool.

Yeah, it is far more likely that I tried to put words into Jaffe´s mouth than making an honest mistakes.

I mean, it´s not like everybody else could easily see for him and herself that thats not what was said in the video. I literally believed that I could fool you all to win an argument on the internet.

Gosh.

Haunted

I feel like it's the art style that has made the bad impression. Everything IS very notebook esque, but right now that means it's kind of a undefined visual mess. The artistic challenge of staying true to that artistic concept, while delivering something visually appeal and readable in motion is no small feat.
It's not like this paper/sketch style hasn't been done before or anything.

They just did a poor job of it. The environments look bad, the people look bad, the animations are bad, the effects are weak and it doesn't look like it controls or plays all that well. Just overall a very poor showing.

edit: I mean, if their point is that teenagers can't really draw for shit, I suppose they nailed it... but that just makes me not to want to look at it or play it either way. :lol

Drawn to Death is one of the most readable games I've ever played. The environment is white and player-relevant objects such as enemies and pick ups are colored. At a quick glance, you can instantly tell where every important object is located on the screen.

It's not like this paper/sketch style hasn't been done before or anything.

They just did a poor job of it. The environments look bad, the people look bad, the animations are bad, the effects are weak and it doesn't look like it controls or plays all that well. Just overall a very poor showing.

The art style looked unappealing to me in the trailer but I came around it pretty quickly after seeing it in person at 60fps. Also, the game is currently pre-alpha with multiple missing effects (this was evident from playing the demo). Give it some time.

Lethe82

Banned
That's interesting. Can you post some good examples of the paper sketch style?

Drawn to Death is one of the most readable games I've ever played. The environment is white and player-relevant objects such as enemies and pick ups are colored. At a quick glance, you can instantly tell where everything important is located on the screen.

The art style looked unappealing to me in the trailer but I came around it pretty quickly after seeing it in person at 60fps. Also, the game is currently pre-alpha with multiple missing effects (this was evident from playing the demo). Give it some time.

Fair enough, good to hear.

You played it?
Every single impression from the show floor I read have said it handles well.

I can attest to that.

My impressions were very positive and I've seek other Gaffers call it one of their favorites at the show. Haven't read a single negative impression either. To be honest, defending it is getting a bit tiring. If I was Jaffe, I'd probably be a bit annoyed too. The game has mad potential and is even really fun as a content-light pre-alpha build. Not sure what else to say.

Top Bottom