• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Death #GOF**KYOURSELF (David Jaffe's response to giantbomb/polygon comments)

Zabant

All the Giantbombcast has told me lately was that a grown man didn't know what the fuck a mortgage was and had to have it explained to him like a 9 year old child...and still couldn't understand the basics of a fucking bank loan.
But these guys are surely qualified to tell others how to make a game.

Oh come on...

Dan Rykert is hardly the standard, I love the guy but he's the perfect definition of a manchild. He's very good at his job as an entertainer and that's all that matters for me.

Just try to look at Giant Bomb as a entertainment site, one step above let's plays and twitch streams and not somewhere to go looking for objective and qualitative musings on the quality of games.

At best you can say 'my tastes seem to line up perfectly with X member of giant bomb so i'll take their thoughts into account before I play this game'

Well, I've gotta agree with some of these comments. It really looks like an underwhelming game for the niche. I'm sorry but I don't like the art style, the "arena-shooter" thing and well... that's about it.

I guess I can go fuck myself now. #BRB

Well see, this is my problem with gaming commentary and gaming forums in general and it's been ingrained into it all for a while now... why are you here in this thread?

I really can't get my head around these groups who do a commentary like GiantBomb or a thread filled with people, where they are kicking the hell out of a game and the people involved. If you're not interested and don't like the look of it, just stay away from it.

Aren't there plenty of games out there that look good to you that you want to discuss instead?

Myggen

Well see, this is my problem with gaming commentary and gaming forums in general and it's been ingrained into it all for a while now... why are you here in this thread?

I really can't get my head around these groups who do a commentary like GiantBomb or a thread filled with people, where they are kicking the hell out of a game and the people involved. If you're not interested and don't like the look of it, just stay away from it.

Aren't there plenty of games out there that look good to you that you want to discuss instead?

Do you not want anyone to react to a game or a trailer in a negative way? It's not just the gaming community who react negatively to things, so do fans of movies when they watch movies they don't like or trailers they dislike. Same with fans of literally everything else. People were reacting to the trailers in real time in the event thread, and are discussing them now. That's how it should be. Anything else would just be a big echo chamber of fanboys.

Movie fans have talked more shit about the Transformers movies than gamers have about pretty much any game, but you don't see many people complaining about that. I think a lot of gamers just feel more of a personal attachment to some games than fans of other media do, so they take criticism very personally.

wonzo

Banned
All the Giantbombcast has told me lately was that a grown man didn't know what the fuck a mortgage was and had to have it explained to him like a 9 year old child...and still couldn't understand the basics of a fucking bank loan.
dan is uh… "special"

Raist

Banned
Game looks really fast paced, visceral and overall fun to play.
The art style is going to be incredibly divisive. On one hand I think it's unique and thus refreshing, on the other hand, considered on its own I don't know if I like it.

I think being a 4p FFA DM this game is likely going to run into problems of complaints of being minimalistic (I'm talking reviews here). It seems most people this day want 64 players and 46 maps and 24 options.

I don't get that, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with "minimalistic" games. I had tons of fun with Calling All Cars for instance. It seems to be less of a problem with indie games though, so I'm not sure why big names or studios aren't allowed to make that type of game.

You know what?

I find it funny that developers are expected to take all kind of abuse and disrespect for their work, but once they throw a F word in response there are some that feel outraged or displeased.

I guess some like to dish it but not to take it. And I'm not talking about Jaffe.
Agree 100%

I’ve mentioned this before but I have noticed some people tend to be obsessed with being ‘professional’ and will call out people defending themselves if they deem it unprofessional.

The only reason anyone should be concerned with being professional is if you are a stakeholder and don’t want your investment getting negative attention. For Jaffe, he doesn’t give a shit about that and will call people out on their bullshit comments as bluntly as they are with their comments towards his games that they seem to have no interest in but feel the need to be so dismissive and aggressive about it.

I really appreciate people being down to earth and honest but a lot of people seem to want every public speaking person to act like a politician, like a focus-tested robot that placates every comment regardless of whether or not its factually wrong, rude, aggressive etc.

We as a people need more honest speaking public figures, can you imagine how much shit would get done if instead of having to play the ‘pc debate’ game you could just come out and bring up how someone is being a dick or their opinion isn’t worth wiping your arse with? People wouldn’t be able to hide behind their shitty beliefs and would be forced to argue their case.

Oh come on...
Just try to look at Giant Bomb as a entertainment site, one step above let's plays and twitch streams and not somewhere to go looking for objective and qualitative musings on the quality of games.

At best you can say 'my tastes seem to line up perfectly with X member of giant bomb so i'll take their thoughts into account before I play this game'

Yeah that's how I've always looked at GB. They're funny sometimes, and I don't care if they make fun of something I like. Who cares it's entertainment.

Oh come on...

Dan Rykert is hardly the standard, I love the guy but he's the perfect definition of a manchild. He's very good at his job as an entertainer and that's all that matters for me.

try telling that to patrick

Do you not want anyone to react to a game or a trailer in a negative way? It's not just the gaming community who react negatively to things, so do fans of movies when they watch movies they don't like or trailers they dislike. Same with fans of literally everything else. People were reacting to the trailers in real time in the event thread, and are discussing them now. That's how it should be. Anything else would just be a big echo chamber of fanboys.

I'm a person who doesn't use my time inappropriately. Talking on forums is about as far as it goes, and if you check my history, I make like 2-3 posts day. But for the most part, I try to head into threads about games that interest me.

I have an automatic response to just simply look away from thread titles that contain things that don't interest me. If I see something like, "Madden" or "Minecraft" or anything else I don't like and have no intention of playing, then I just leave it alone. It's a waste of my time. I really cannot understand how people can get drawn into something that doesn't interest them and it honestly just boggles the mind.

Now I get talking about something you were looking forward to then came out and wasn't that great and was disappointing in some way, but even then I limit myself to that. If something's not even out though and I just have no interest in it, I do not see the point in going in to threads for that whatsoever. Just seems like a waste of my time and of others reading it.

You know what?

I find it funny that developers are expected to take all kind of abuse and disrespect for their work, but once they throw a F word in response there are some that feel outraged or displeased.

I guess some like to dish it but not to take it. And I'm not talking about Jaffe.

What abuse was given to him by the comments in that video?

Other than the "who let jaffe make games" comment, which is just a sarcy question not exactly abuse, it's just a bunch of people saying the game is about 20 years too late.

I'm not saying he deserves being abused but if anything Jaffe brings it on himself with the kind of mouth he has, if he can dish it he can take it.

Get_crazy

Banned

Why am I here? I react to the "#FuckYourself" video. I can't play the "I give my opinion" card cause my reaction wasn't detailed enough. But, more generally speaking, in your perfect world, if we all go talk only about games we like, there wouldn't be room for debate. Of course, I'm not speaking about comments like "this game is shiet". Once again, I know my reaction wasn't prone to create a debate but I thought it was funny when I said brb and stuff.

And, in my opinion, Drawn to Death receive a mixed welcome because the game is clearly aimed for a niche and there was some hype surrounding it because of the notebook teaser + the "haunted" video where Jaffe eats cake.

I'm a person who doesn't use my time inappropriately. Talking on forums is about as far as it goes, and if you check my history, I make like 2-3 posts day. But for the most part, I try to head into threads about games that interest me.

I have an automatic response to just simply look away from thread titles that contain things that don't interest me. If I see something like, "Madden" or "Minecraft" or anything else I don't like and have no intention of playing, then I just leave it alone. It's a waste of my time. I really cannot understand how people can get drawn into something that doesn't interest them and it honestly just boggles the mind.

Now I get talking about something you were looking forward to then came out and wasn't that great and was disappointing in some way, but even then I limit myself to that. If something's not even out though and I just have no interest in it, I do not see the point in going in to threads for that whatsoever. Just seems like a waste of my time and of others reading it.

giphy.gif

The game looks really interesting. It's probably getting most of the hate it's getting because it looks to be a smaller game, and it was the show finisher.

Honestly, it just looks like it needs some polish. And considering the game isn't done yet, it'll probably get it. Maybe.. Maybe speed the cycle for the drawn backgrounds up a bit to make it appear more animated.

It must be pretty discouraging to get so much personal - and general hate when you've slaved away on something, excited to share it with everyone, and you finally show it off... and then get this kind of response.

Myggen

That's cool, but you're more or less suggesting that there should be no debate about games between people who disagree, that the only people posting or talking about something should be the people who love it. And that sounds extremely boring to me, and not good for games in general. I'm not a fan of drive by shit posting in threads, but if you've got something to say about something, say it.

The game looks really interesting. It's probably getting most of the hate it's getting because it looks to be a smaller game, and it was the show finisher.

Honestly, it just looks like it needs some polish. And considering the game isn't done yet, it'll probably get it. Maybe.. Maybe speed the cycle for the drawn backgrounds up a bit to make it appear more animated.

It must be pretty discouraging to get so much personal - and general hate when you've slaved away on something, excited to share it with everyone, and you finally show it off... and then get this kind of response.

You should have seen the Dust: An Elysian Tail threads from a few years back. I mean holy shit, it felt like some people just absolutely resented the creator for making it just because of its art style.

I don´t see whats wrong with those comments....aside from that one ad hominem tbh .

It hink it looks hideous as well, I´m not a fan of the artdirection at all.

Hmm, he shouldn´t have done that, "Oh, it´s Jaffe"-and all ...

Get_crazy

Banned

That's the main problem when you create something, one bad comment out of hundred good ones and that's the only thing you can see.

ekim

I don't know. Either I don't get the art style from the horrid compression artifacts caused by it or it's really just that bad. Everything looks busy and characters and level don't have a huge contrast.

Marvel

could never
Never change, Jaffe lol.

The game doesn't interest me in the slightest but I won't shit on him or it.

I don't think the problem is the player count. 2 v 2 is fine for the most part.

The problem this game has is it should've come out in 2001

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

You've got to be fucking joking.....

TheYanger

I mean...what did he expect when he made a world premiere trailer that looked as boring and generic as can be? (Outside of the artstyle, which mostly just looked busy and annoying).

I love the faux maturity in this thread, with the "really" and the "is that necessary" bullshit.

I really can't stomach this attitude in the games industry where people say anything they want about a developer (even their personal lives), yet act offended when they respond in kind / on the same level. It just exudes an inferior childlike mentality when GAF'ers / forum goers hide behind the notion of "you're a developer or industry person, you can't say that to me".

Good. Fantastic. Developers are human beings and it can be really demoralizing to have something you've poured your heart and soul into be shit on by people whose only interaction with your game is a passing glance.

Every day I see people shitting on everything that doesn't exactly match their expectations or desires. I see it in every thread and every comment section because God forbid a game, movie, song or company doesn't meet your every whim. So if a dev or anyone in the gaming industry can find some joy in a snarky fuck you, or can use the shitty trends of whiny, demanding brats to help promote their game, good for them. More power to them. I hope it brings them nothing but happiness. God knows some of the pricks on the internet need to be cut down a peg.

/rant.

these two guys just nailed it.

Give the guy a break and judge his game when it's actually not in pre-fucking-alpha.

Haven't watched his video response yet, I'm at work and youtube is blocked, but I did notice he actually posted about it on twitter too.

Dave, just do your thing bro, we all got your back!!!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I mean...what did he expect when he made a world premiere trailer that looked as boring and generic as can be? (Outside of the artstyle, which mostly just looked busy and annoying).

To be fair it was highlighted primarily because they were looking for feedback from people trying the test-build at PSX. It wasn't just a web-event after all.

And as for people getting upset about Jaffe using a sweary hashtag; get real! It was clearly meant in fun, and was playing up to both his public image and that of his game.

So David Jaffe told some people who said his game looks like crap via internet posts to go fuck themselves. Okay. I mean, it's hardly controversial is it.

delSai

super hyped for this. If its just a bit like Twisted Metal its gonna be GOTY material. Take my cash, Jaffe! I will support this guy as much as possible.

Audioboxer

I don´t see the humor in taking some random...honestly pretty tame comments from Polygon and Giantbomb and compiling them in a video with the hashtag #Go f** kill yourself.

But that must just be me...I guess.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say kill.... Yup, he didn't.

Game4life

Banned
Yep. They absolutely shitted on MGO for no reason. Apparently just because they don't like MGO, nobody in the world likes MGO. And even though the new trailer looked really good the whole discussion was "Who plays this shit?".

They are really out of touch sometimes.

I am amazed these boring out of touch snooze fest critics that make up the trash known as Giantbomb has such a following here in GAF.

Top Bottom