• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drawn to Death #GOF**KYOURSELF (David Jaffe's response to giantbomb/polygon comments)

Game seems interesting and it's pre-alpha so people should remember that. My only issue I saw is everything was too white and not enough color like it could strain my eyes

h#shdem0n

The idea of it being a cultural thing kind of goes out the window when you hear about the same trends going on hundreds of years ago and in many different cultures. It's not really a cultural thing, it's a human thing. And while growing up surrounded by creeps sucks, it isn't universal, unless you think I'm a fucking creep. And the guy above me talking about his experience and his friends are fucking creeps.

Like I said, it's not new, and it really isn't nostalgic. It's one of those wink and nods, man weren't we insufferable sort of acknowledgements. Really doubt many people look back and think "Man, I wish I could go back to being a pain in the ass."

Actually the teens-as-marketing-demographic is a relatively recent phenomenon. It basically started with the baby boomers.

kvothe

It must really suck to have something you've been working on get panned so hard when you finally reveal it. At least they're sticking to their guns.

Trojan

Probably because they are a terrible site with terrible "journalists"? They are no better than Polygon in my eyes.

You're missing the point if you're trying to paint GB as a site that is founded on "journalistic integrity." It's an entertainment site, man. Sure, they do reviews and try to be unbiased on those, but the entire premise of the site is fun entertainment based around strong personalities. If you're going to GB looking for hard-hitting journalism then you're doing it wrong.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Jaffe gave us Twisted Metal and God of War. What did Trollygon and Shittybomb give us? - So called gaming journalism. #gofuckyourselves #teamjaffe

Giantbomb.com has given many more hours of entertainment than either of those franchises.

#Jeff>Jaffe

Good. He can say whatever he wants about his own project or the critics the same way anyone else can speak on his work or him. It's just social media and humans, it's not a big deal. Not anymore than the norm for that sort of twitter/Facebook behavior anyway.

As a consumer, I don't give a shit what either of them have to say. Doesn't make any difference.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sorry if it has been covered, but what did Giantbomb say about the game?

I'm very surprised that Giant Bomb trashed a sony game

Wait, what? Is it bizarro world? Just last year people were calling the GB guys MS lovers.

From the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker review thread

For the record, I stand by what I said. But I'll amend it to make it more clear: very few people in the SF office know a lot about or care a lot about Nintendo. Also I'm pretty sure Jeff doesn't like videogames anymore ANYWAY, so I'll give him a pass

Darknight

+1 Jaffe.

I personally think Jaffe is just a person who doesnt take shit from nobody and tends to be very vocal about his feelings. He is like one of the few who will tell you to "Fuck yourself" and he is within his right to do so.

Like people or the "internet" can go on and pile up on him and shit on his projects publicly but yet people get all up in arms if he does a general reply to some of those people? He is not part of some big corporation where he could get fired for saying a bad word. Big deal he told some haters to get a life. Nothing to see here but laugh at the whole situation.

Some people enjoy SP only games or just MP games. Everyone has a different taste so I actually look forward to play his game. I think it looks really cool and not something I would say "derp derp looks like a 1999 game lulz". I think they are missing the point of smaller scale games ffs.

Aselith

I'm just listening to it now so I haven't finished but they basically said so far that it looks like Anarchy Reigns which they didn't like and that the language used like FUCK YEAH flashing up on the screen after shooting a bazooka seems like something an old guy trying to be cool would design and Patrick kind of said I'm sorry before he said that last part.

Pretty tame so far unless it gets worse later.

I was surprised but then really not surprised GB shit on it. I thought the game looked awesome and is very original in many ways. Very much looking forward to it.
I'm mostly into it for the art style. I've never played an arena shooter, but if I'm going to start, I have no problem starting with something with manifestly different player classes/styles and interesting art.

Crayon

I have was just listening to it. They grumbled about the style. Complained about its spot in the show. Made a disparaging joke about calling all cars. Concerned over the player count. Mused about being the old guy trying to be cool or simply being out of touch. Brad tried to pretend like he doesnt just amalgamate his opinions from gaf. That sort of thing.

You just don't mess with Jaffe!

david-jaffe-shooter.jpg

Looking forward to the game, very excited actually, Love Jeffe.

Booshka

Game plays amazing with four players. Very tight and intimate with a smooth game flow. I played a bunch at PSX and wrote detailed impressions here. It's a game people really need to try before judging it, if only because it's so damn different. I had a blast and barely scratched the surface of the mechanics.

The game is pretty unique even among arena shooters. Low player count, very high player health, and different characters to pick from that each have numerous quirks.

Coming from a fellow Shadowrun fan, this info has me excited. Glad Jaffe made this video too lol, works perfectly with the tone of the game, and it's a good tongue in cheek response to all the hate.

Looking forward to trying out this game, love Twisted Metal, and I like his philosophy on MP combat, with longer, more drawn out engagements. The split second kills in most MP shooters is boring as fuck, especially when the shooting elements aren't even fun.

On the Giantbomb podcast they said that Jaffe is an old guy trying to be cool. That he is out of touch. Yeah..

Than they mock that Jaffe partakes in ghost hunting in his spare time.

Meanwhile they gave Sunset Overdrive 4/5 and say that is 'gleefully silly' when it basically has a very similar attitude.

All around great journalism!

Aselith

On the Giantbomb podcast they said that Jaffe is an old guy trying to be cool. Yeah..

Meanwhile they gave Sunset Overdrive 4/5 and say that is 'gleefully silly' when it basically has a very similar attitude.

They actually did voice concern over the amount of cussing in the Quick Look for Sunset Overdrive. Dan specifically asked Brad if the amount of cussing seemed try hardy which is exactly what they were meaning about this game on the podcast.

Lingitiz

On the Giantbomb podcast they said that Jaffe is an old guy trying to be cool. That he is out of touch. Yeah..

Ehh they said a few times on the Bombcast that they felt it was trying a bit too hard to be edgy. So the game getting a good score doesn't necessarily reflect that.

JayEH

Didn't realize there was all this giant bomb hate out there. It seemed like everyone loved them from what I read on gaf.

they =/= brad =/= patrick

The podcast is an echo chamber most of the time. Brad wasn't there but they did say this on air and nobody disagreed. Whatever.

The MGO bit was just crazy.

Ehh they said a few times on the Bombcast that they felt it was trying a bit too hard to be edgy. So the game getting a good score doesn't necessarily reflect that.

Sure seems like they judge this game based on its attitude alone.

I just don't understand, the whole fucking concept is that it is viewed through the eye of a 13 year old angsty teen. The art is supposed to be bad. The humor is supposed to be juvenile. It isn't trying to be anything else.

Don't get the hate.

Sure, it's edgy, juvenile, and doesn't appeal to everyone, but that's what I liked about it.

It's a new IP, a neat idea, and surprisingly grounded in concept. The doodles of a teenager brought to life as an arena multiplayer shooter.

It's an idea that :

- allows for a unique, simplistic art style with a very varied style and expression
- different, yet doesn't feel like it's different for the sake of being different. I think this kind of idea has always floated the minds of many kids before "what if my doodles came to life?"
- looks to be dynamic in gameplay. Different powers, dynamic traversal, 4 player-only with high health, and unique weapons not unlike Insomniac...

Not every game/new idea has to be "omg so mature", or "hearfelt, emotional." It's a concept that feels juvenile, but it's also very honest, and something very Jaffe.

JayEH

The podcast is an echo chamber most of the time. Brad wasn't there but they did say this on air and nobody disagreed. Whatever.

The MGO bit was just crazy.

Yep. They absolutely shitted on MGO for no reason. Apparently just because they don't like MGO, nobody in the world likes MGO. And even though the new trailer looked really good the whole discussion was "Who plays this shit?".

They are really out of touch sometimes.

Cranzor

For the record, I stand by what I said. But I'll amend it to make it more clear: very few people in the SF office know a lot about or care a lot about Nintendo. Also I'm pretty sure Jeff doesn't like videogames anymore ANYWAY, so I'll give him a pass

Oh, I definitely didn't intend to call you out or anything. I actually almost didn't include usernames in my post. I agree that many of them aren't too big on Nintendo, and if you like Nintendo a lot, I don't blame you for not being interested in the site. I was just trying to show that the company specific complaints happens with all of the companies.

I guess what I'm getting at is that people complaining about Giant Bomb's coverage of companies might as well just say they don't like games at all, since they get the same complaints regarding all of the companies. I wouldn't agree with people that hold that viewpoint, but it would make more sense to me than to single out a company. I see you have a similar idea with Jeff, but I disagree. That dude lives and breathes video games and clearly loves them.

Yep. They absolutely shitted on MGO for no reason. Apparently just because they don't like MGO, nobody in the world likes MGO. And even though the new trailer looked really good the whole discussion was "Who plays this shit?".

They are really out of touch sometimes.

I thought that trailer was the highlight of the game awards show, and judging from Gaf people seemed to be really into it.

Their attitude and comments were just bizarre, unprofessional, and way out of left field. Almost as if they're trying to be edgy and cool for the sake of it.

"I don't want to play Metal Gear Online..."

Okay? So don't shit on it just because you don't see the appeal?

That dude lives and breathes video games and clearly loves them.

I'm 100% convinced that Jeff judges all games, platforms, equally. I don't think he has any platform bias at all! But to say that he clearly loves games? Ridiculous. He sounds burnt out. I think he likes the IDEA of games, but he just shits on everything. He isn't open to new experiences or to ask himself (constructively) why he doesn't like thing.

I think he needs a vacation.

THRILLH0

Banned

Not quite sure I get what you're saying. Are you taking about yesterday's bombcast? And you're claiming Brad wasn't there?

Also the echo chamber comments are off base imo. Brad and Jeff disagree all the time but they're willing to concede differences of opinion and move on (unless it's GOTY time).

Just because they don't escalate into Shane/Garnett "oh my god dude!" shouting matches that doesn't make them a hivemind.

You know what?

I find it funny that developers are expected to take all kind of abuse and disrespect for their work, but once they throw a F word in response there are some that feel outraged or displeased.

I guess some like to dish it but not to take it. And I'm not talking about Jaffe.

thats a thing i always find funny,people can abuse and disrespect any game and when his work is doubted they get in arms and make circles to defend other journos

man people on the gaming press these days think they are more important than developers who really make the games ..the giant bomb and polygon guys are full of themselves sometimes

Not quite sure I get what you're saying. Are you taking about yesterday's bombcast? And you're claiming Brad wasn't there?

Also the echo chamber comments are off base imo. Brad and Jeff disagree all the time but they're willing to concede differences of opinion and move on (unless it's GOTY time).

Just because they don't escalate into Shane/Garnett "oh my god dude!" shouting matches that doesn't make them a hivemind.

They must often agree then! This is the last I'll say about it because this is getting off-topic (and I apologize...) besides calling David Jaffe an old out of touch man trying to be cool.. this is how they opened up the Metal Gear Online reveal discussion:

"What the hell is metal gear online?"

"It's another dumb fucking multiplayer mode for a metal gear game that nobody wants"

"Yeah, who gets into these?"

"no-one!"

"Stripping away the dumb fucking story and all this other chaos, to say like, we're gonna have you shoot at other human players, breaks the whole thing even more. It's just terrible."

What the fuck? Trying to be edgy I suppose? Meanwhile Ground Zeroes has been out for 9 months and has proven to be all bout dat gameplay, and a perfect fit for an online type experience. I guess they didn't bother playing Peace Walker either. Oh well.

Such a shame that they make a damn good Podcast. :)

Aselith

I'm 100% convinced that Jeff judges all games, platforms, equally. I don't think he has any platform bias at all! But to say that he clearly loves games? Ridiculous. He sounds burnt out. I think he likes the IDEA of games, but he just shits on everything. He isn't open to new experiences or to ask himself (constructively) why he doesn't like thing.

I think he needs a vacation.

He seemed just as excited as everyone else about No Man's Sky and he loves that WWE card game! :p

Top Bottom