• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

Turnstyle

Yeah, as a long time GB fan I'm really going to miss Drew. You could always rely on him for a good cheesy pun, an interesting left field game, and of course, awesome hair. I wish him all the best for whatever he does next.

On a stream once he said my son's name was cool. My son is named Drew.

GlamFM

Banned
Those were the days...

Whiskey_Media_logo.jpg

Flambe

Wow this sucks for us but good for him I'm sure. Best of luck Drew.

He might not have been the most natural speaker on the podcast but you could tell he was always very thoughtful before he said something and I loved his attitude and unique perspective on the world compared to the rest of the guys.

Oh man, Flight Club >.< Fuuuuuck.

Also updates on his pilot's license, fuuuuck :p

Welp.

But no really, good luck Drew =]

Airbar

Neo Member
What makes this so sad for me is that we might only be able to know what Drew is up to when he drops by the old guys. He's never been that active on Twitter, but I need Drew in my life.
Oh and the timing could have been better, for sure. Not of Drew leaving, mind you, that is his own choice. But the hiring process is taking a very long time and it seems it's nothing Jeff enjoys so it might be a while before a new hire appears. Of course I trust Jeff's judgement but it is the time until they hire someone that will be tedious. For example we will seemingly get Switch coverage from Jeff and Brad ... that doesn't sound too hopeful. Oh and people saying Drew is no "hardcore gamer" or what have you: That guy pre-ordered a fucking Switch. That is pretty "hardcore" to me :p

Forkball

NO GOD NO WHY IS LIFE CRUEL

Good luck. I always found him to be personable and he often had a unique perspective. His gaming tastes are pretty different from the rest of the crew and myself, so I was always intrigued by whatever he was playing. I'll definitely check out whatever his next project may be.

Kind of a bummer. When I listen to the podcast recently, I always caught myself thinking that Drew is the best. I really enjoy the way he talks about the games he plays and the awesome things he do. Best of luck to whatever is next for him though.

Ladekabel

And I was just thinking last week if Drew is leaving Giant Bomb. :O

Sad to hear this. Since I heard that he was meditating he made some of the best jokes in the Bombcast. He will be missed.

Banned
As a career? He still has a very long way to go before he could make money off of being a pilot.

He's still in the middle of attaining a Private Pilot's License. After that he would need a total of 150 flight hours, with at least 50 of them being the Pilot in Command and a First Class Medical Certificate in order to meet the bare minimum requirements to start working towards a Commercial Pilot's License. He probably would want to get rated to fly under Instrument Flight Rules and operate multi engine aircraft which would require additional training and flight hours.

Shit gets pretty expensive and he probably still needs a job to pay for all that if he's going that route.
Welp. You can tell I know nothing about pilot licensing lol. Best of luck to him.

Hari Seldon

Drew was the only person on that crew that was not AAA-man. Hopefully they can hire some people with a more diverse taste in games.

jacobeid

Banned
Oh and people saying Drew is no "hardcore gamer" or what have you: That guy pre-ordered a fucking Switch. That is pretty "hardcore" to me :p

Drew seems like the type of person who plays more video games than he talks about. He's just a very humble man and losing him is going to suck. He's such a talented guy and brings a unique perspective to the table, which is not something I can say for many people in this industry.

Drew was the only person on that crew that was not AAA-man. Hopefully they can hire some people with a more diverse taste in games.

Jason is definitely not "AAA-man" but I know what you're saying 100%.

WHAT THE FUCK NO
HE'S MY FAVORITE
WHAT ABOUT ALT-F1
WHO'S GOING TO MAKE JOKE NOBODY APPRECIATES
THIS IS THE DARKEST TIMELINE

Drew confirmed on Twitter that the F1 podcast will still live.

Lothars

Secret top tiers of Giant Bomb: Dave Lang, John Vignocchi, Leigh Alexander
The only one of those threeI don't agree about Leigh Alexander, I am not a fan especially from her multiple e3 podcasts and how she went about criticizing giant bomb with the last round of hires, she went about it the wrong way.

Am I weird for mostly being happy about him getting to do a thing he wants to do?
Not at all, He will be missed but it will be cool to see what he does next.

HvySky

Am I weird for mostly being happy about him getting to do a thing he wants to do?

Nope, not at all. While it's a bummer that we'll no longer get Drew's check-ins on things like his piloting license or even the more niche/obscure games that he plays, the guy is young and talented as hell. He almost assuredly has great things ahead of him.

Is it too cynical of me that for the past few years I've felt like Drew isn't massively into games at all these days...at least playing them. It felt like he would purposefully seek out obscure games that he would play for a very short amount of time purely with the goal of having something to contribute to GB content.

I love the guy and will miss his contributions, but I'm very glad he is going to have the chance to pursue another passion (whatever weird and wonderful thing that may be).

Brad went bananas over Ori, Brothers, and Geometry Wars; Dan loved Pocket Card Jockey and Ultimate Chicken Horse; Jeff put Assault Suit Leynos, and Hackmud on his honorable mentions for GOTY 2016, and his actual list had Rhythm Heaven Megamix, Picross 3D: Round 2, The Witness, and Superhot.

C'mon now.

MikeBison

Man, this sucks. Drew was a real breath of fresh air and seemed a genuinely great dude. Excited to see who they get to replace him though.

Between this and Dan moving over the GB East, this is a dark timeline for GB. But I have faith that they'll steer back on course.

Good luck Drew! o7

Hope he drops on with Alexis for extra life. It would be hilarious and weird for 2 non cbs employees to host a 24hr stream in a cbs building.

Damnit, I'll miss you!

Noooooooo, I hate waking to news posts that someone from the thing I love has left. And he had really come into his own this last few years!

All the best drew, you WILL be missed!

Fledz

I didn't get to finish the podcast so I genuinely thought this was a joke when I saw some of the comments of their Youtube stream. Shame really. I'll still listen but I'm definitely edging more towards East being the preferred one.

I get that lots of people don't like Dan but I think he works really well with those guys, at least so far.

Was that at the end of the BombCast? I heard everything but the ending.

That really sucks. I figured he's leave eventually; their content had taken many hits with splitting the offices. They need a few people on the west now.

Maybe it's time to wrap it all up.

It's already been rough with Dan moving. That's a shame.

FluxWaveZ

I don't agree, It's as good as it's ever been. I am pumped for the new hires.

I mean, I still like GB now, but I have to really disagree that it's as good as it's ever been. There was a time where I would watch every single QL released, and look forward to every new video that wasn't Thursday Night Throwdown. The Vinny and Jeff duo is still the most entertaining one to me, watching the older videos.

Even recently, I liked the different kind of voice Austin Walker lent to GB, but he's gone and the Beastcast has been less interesting to me as a result (though it's gotten more fun with the addition of Dan, and made the Bombcast less fun).

I get that lots of people don't like Dan but I think he works really well with those guys, at least so far.

I knew dan was taking the wrestling approach with his screen time and was putting on a persona but I didn't feel it worked well when everyone else had a dry approach with him.

On the other hand vinny is able to bounce everything back and join in with the act which results in a far more fun time. I appreciate dan and his humour a lot more with the east crew.

Catvoca

Banned
Who's Matt? Who's David? (I'm always behind on Bombcasts.... Currently on 12/20 episode.)

Matthew Rorie is their Customer service guy who occassionally pops up on the Bombcast and UPF. David is their business dude who hasn't appeared on camera or anything as far as I know.

bjork

Drew is/was the straight man for the entire proceedings, and he is great. Just seems like a good dude all around. I hope whoever they get leans more that way and less toward being zany or whatever.

So is GB hiring two production people: 1 for East and 1 for West? I feel like two on each coast is kind of the bare minimum of what they need, so that Jason and Vinny aren't ground into dust.

Headshot Drew will really be missed. Going out on the Switch launch is going to make that a VERY interesting GB system launch stream.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
So is GB hiring two production people: 1 for East and 1 for West? I feel like two on each coast is kind of the bare minimum of what they need, so that Jason and Vinny aren't ground into dust.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Jeff said they're looking for 3 people but can't post a job offer for Drew's position until after he leaves.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
well that's a bummer but you gotta follow dat meme money!!

I loved watching that Switch presentation with that dude. fucking hilarious at times.

Top Bottom