• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Bikes, a standalone expansion, is coming to PS4. Today.

GodofWine

Much more arcadey.

Is anyone playing this online? Ive tried joining matches for the last 5 minutes with nobody joining them. Also, is it just team races for bikes? Thats all I see online.

Looked like all team events, that will probably change, but online was packed, every race I played tonight was full.

I have to say...Im a bit disappointed. I realize this game is arcadey but it feels like they went too far with the bikes in the arcade direction. The cars feel much closer to actual cars than the bikes do to real bikes.

There is just no skill or consequence to anything with the bikes. You can drift the rear end around and lock up the rear coming in hot to a corner and it doesnt require any thought or effort to do it, because the bikes will always sort you out. They're too infallible; they feel impossible to crash.

There should be at least a little bit of finesse required to control them but there isnt. They feel like blunt objects you bludgeon the course to death with.

There is still a lot of fun to be had here and maybe its just me that was wishing for something a little more sim-cade like the rest of the game but I cant help but be a little bummed.

I always find these statements funny about handling of vehicles, by video game players. Dudes talk about how a bugatti should handle and only driven a honda. Your handling about the physics of a vehicle you have never driven is a curios one.

Really not sure about this one. I love Driveclub but a lot of that is racing with a wheel. I was really hoping for an announcement of new locations and tracks, and in my dreams a rally/off road expansion.

Did it get expanded to 60fps?
The important thing is that you think you're funny. ;)

Makki

Soooo are we getting 600cc bikes, tripe nakeds, 300cc ones? Kind of odd that theres only about 12 1,000cc bikes to pick, no entry level stuff... no Suzuki either. The gameplay out the box is super arcadey but it was fun.

Makki

I always find these statements funny about handling of vehicles, by video game players. Dudes talk about how a bugatti should handle and only driven a honda. Your handling about the physics of a vehicle you have never driven is a curios one.

If you have ridden any motorcycles at all you know at least this side of the game is absolutely different from real life, I wouldnt bash the guy on that one. The way you can ride full lean on uneven stuff and the high side inducing slappers the bikes on Driveclub do around turns would have you eating shit in no time IRL, not to mention there's no brake control, throttle modulation or lean input necessary (I was donwshifting into neutral on the Yamaha R1 and dumping clutch into first around hairpins to shoot out for fucks sake lol).

Its a lot of fun for a arcade bike game though.

jayu26

dcbike9psm0.gif

PossibleDeadFlyingfox.gif

The Man, the Legend, the gifs.

Been riding for 10+ years. Ive owned two Ducatis and have done several track days....maybe you shouldnt assume that gamers/motorcycle enthusiast are mutually exclusive things. I have photographic and video evidence of my claims if you need proof that you stuck your foot in your mouth.

Reminds me a LOT of MotoGP'07's "extreme races".
Handling is perfect for an arcade racer, quite nimble even.
Been trying to double tap the throttle to initiate a powerslide, but it's very slight.

I'll probably play twice as much with the bikes as I have with the cars.
Norway 3 lap race, for the first championship. First time racing this track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5QSoHzfgwQ

Fnord

Does this integrate smoothly within the existing DC, or do DC owners have to run it as a separate game?

Or, to put it differently, is this standalone ala Infamous: First Light, or integrated+stand alone like Killzone: Shadowfall's Intercept co-op mode?

It depends, apparently. I have the disc-based version of DC. I bought and downloaded Bikes. And when I went to play it, it said that, because I have the disc based DriveClub, I need to delete all of my DC data before I can run Bikes. :\

It depends, apparently. I have the disc-based version of DC. I bought and downloaded Bikes. And when I went to play it, it said that, because I have the disc based DriveClub, I need to delete all of my DC data before I can run Bikes. :\

Weird. I bought from the website, popped the disc in, checked for updates and was good to go after it downloaded.

Arondight

No way. I didn't do that. It just ran perfectly as soon as I started it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
You crash, screen blinks and you are ready to go again from zero speed of course.
Driver doesn't fly off. That would be something else.

Super Disappointmenton.
Bikers flown off their bikes on games all the way back to 15 years ago.
No new tracks either. I dunno, 15€ seems a bit much.
Either way I wish they'd give 1 (one) bike to try, not buying a motorcycle game if I can't try how it handles, too many games get thing utterly wrong for my tastes.
Can you at least slip and crash if you get a corner wrong or are too heavy on the gas on a rainy track?

Fnord

Weird. I bought from the website, popped the disc in, checked for updates and was good to go after it downloaded.

It seems I may have jumped the gun. When I bought it, the only version listed on the store was the stand-alone version. Now there's the add-on version as well. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with refunds or anything, as the add-on is showing as purchased as well. Trying to push it to my PS4 now. I suspect that'll take care of things. :)

Super Disappointmenton.
Bikers flown off their bikes on games all the way back to 15 years ago.
No new tracks either. I dunno, 15€ seems a bit much.
Either way I wish they'd give 1 (one) bike to try, not buying a motorcycle game if I can't try how it handles, too many games get thing utterly wrong for my tastes.
Can you at least slip and crash if you get a corner wrong or are too heavy on the gas on a rainy track?

Yeah I bit on this cuz I love DC and want Evo to make more games but it's the first time I've felt like something was priced too high. The base game and season pass (both bought new) eventually offered huge value but this... for 15 bucks? I mean obviously a lot of work had to go into getting them to work in the DC engine but 15 bucks should be more content than just new bikes on old courses.

desu

Yeah I bit on this cuz I love DC and want Evo to make more games but it's the first time I've felt like something was priced too high. The base game and season pass (both bought new) eventually offered huge value but this... for 15 bucks? I mean obviously a lot of work had to go into getting them to work in the DC engine but 15 bucks should be more content than just new bikes on old courses.

The amount of content is pretty could for anyone coming new into this game, however yeah for existing players this lacks a bit. I hope to see more information about new tracks next week (but probably not?), that they are working on new tracks has at least been confirmed a while ago.

Really disappointed in this. The handling just doesn't feel right to me - it's too sticky, too rigid, like driving a go kart that just happens to lean a bit. The bike can't slip out, crashes/falls are nonexistent, I dunno, I'm just not feeling it. Ah well. It looks incredible but I feel a bit burned.

They could have had a PS+ discount at least...

But, whatever. I easily got my moneysworth from DriveClub, so I pay that and still probably come out ahead.

cyba89

Video game players play video games all day and can't have expertise in other fields?

danowat

Banned
So what's the reason then? That seems realistic given the game has a PEGI 3 rating, while for instance Burnout Paradise and Split/Second both have a PEGI 7 age rating, MotorStorm has a 12 rating and both its sequels have a 16 rating.

Both RIDE and MotoGP games have a PEGI rating of 3.

I quite enjoy the full-on arcade handling of the bikes. Any pretence of simulation has gone right out of the window, but the game is fun and that's what matters. This is quite different to the car racing and feels much more forgiving.

The crash situation is a bit of a shame though. Its a bit poor that he game just flashes up a DC logo and resets you on the track.

Mabufu

Banned
Really disappointed in this. The handling just doesn't feel right to me - it's too sticky, too rigid, like driving a go kart that just happens to lean a bit. The bike can't slip out, crashes/falls are nonexistent, I dunno, I'm just not feeling it. Ah well. It looks incredible but I feel a bit burned.

I'm with you here. It's too arcadey. Having fun with it, tho.

danowat

Banned
Both sides put forward convincing arguments

How about this then.

The assumption is that DC:Bikes doesn't have crashes is due to it's PEGI 3 rating, this assumption is false as other bike games, namely RIDE and MotoGP also have PEGI 3 ratings, and they have crashes.

Top Bottom