• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Bikes, a standalone expansion, is coming to PS4. Today.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Probably a new season pass for car & bike content.

So what's the reason then? That seems realistic given the game has a PEGI 3 rating, while for instance Burnout Paradise and Split/Second both have a PEGI 7 age rating, MotorStorm has a 12 rating and both its sequels have a 16 rating.

the most logical reasons are either performance bottlenecks or not enough budget/man hours to obtain a good result.

edit - posted before i saw the licensing issue

Don't think I'll get this without crashes. What's the point of trying to play on the edge if you can never fail and go past it? It needs the risk to achieve the reward.

There are crashes. But you don`t see your biker fly of the bike and hitting a wall or something with ragdoll physics. In case of a crash scenario you get immediately respawned and have to start with 0km/h. So there is still a reward for good driving.

Guymelef

in contrast to the 30fps the base game runs at - with the car count being reduced from 12 to eight competitors, and with some trackside detail and the nuances of the weather and cloud system being dialled back. The rear-view mirrors were also disabled, though that's something that Evolution would like to address before any final release.

No rear-view mirrors and VR it's not a good idea.

myca77

The thought of VR Drive club with the TS300 is mouth watering.

I'd like to know if they have a solution to seeing the face buttons on the wheel when you have a VR headset on though. I'm guessing that driving stick would be impractical too unless you got your muscle memory to always know where the stick is.

Jamesways

Reminds me a LOT of MotoGP'07's "extreme races".
Handling is perfect for an arcade racer, quite nimble even.
Been trying to double tap the throttle to initiate a powerslide, but it's very slight.

I'll probably play twice as much with the bikes as I have with the cars.

Bingo! That's the first thing I thought too! Very "Extreme" mode from Climax's games. I actually loved those, I never found them to water down the rest of the game. There were a fun aside with some great looking fantasy tracks.

I love bike games. MotoGP14, 15, and Ride are my most played racing games this gen actually.

And while people are right about the handling being super arcade, I agree with you and think it's just fine. It's quite an adjustment coming from MotoGP 15 though, especially with the physics on Pro. If anyone wants more sim for their bikes, I highly recommend MotoGP or Ride. in 15, you can easily lose it from the back end stepping out changing from first to second gear.

But it's incredibly fun throwing these bikes around in DC, you can really push through corners.

This mode will bring me back to DC for a long time, I'll play this a lot more than the cars as well.

The amount of details on these bikes is mind boggling.
God I WISH the Milestone bike games looked anywhere near this good. Playing the same bikes in Ride is just jarring. Without hyperbole, it looks like a generation ahead. But Milestone games have always been a bit behind on graphics, so it's nothing new.

Love the helmet cam view in these games, and DC does it really well too. Just gorgeous bike models. In some of the lighting, the on board view looks more realistic than in some of the cars IMO.

What a great expansion, totally unexpected. I'm thrilled about it though.

there are no crashes.. you just "bump" into the obstacles and get a time penalty..

Not quite... When you smash in to something full on there's a crash sound mixed with a quick whitewash/Driveclub logo and then it drops you in the middle of the course a 0kps/mph.

Smaller impacts just "bump".

I checked the replay and the bike will flip in the air for a sec before the reset. The driver seems to disappear? Didnt really spend much time investigating was to busy having fun

Footos22

there are no crashes.. you just "bump" into the obstacles and get a time penalty..

My guy actually crashed after the finish line and was skidding along the floor on its side in the after race camera change. But there is crashes but the driveclub logo just flashes up before you see anything and then you're back on track at 0mph.

Probably helps keep Mp more competitive too. Don't wanna be seeing your rider flying through the air for a few seconds while everyone else goes miles in front. As the race doesn't end when you crash this is probably the only real solution without making people just rage quit.

rawd

What I'm doing right now

image.php

What I want to be doing

dcbike9psm0.gif

MaDKaT

Played a couple more laps before work this morning and Im not sure Im going to try an unlock all the bikes. The more I play, the colder I feel to this expansion. The handling is just no jiving with me. The traction is just too sticky and handling a bit too twitchy. Someone mentioned gokarts on rails and they are correct. The expansion seriously needs a pro mode to bring it closer to the sim-cade the cars are. Im actually having more fun with RIDE demo by Milestone, which just pains me because graphically and audio wise, DriveClub destroys it.

Makikou

What's this difficulty settings speculation about? Just more challenging AI or actual disabling of assists?

You can choose between Easy, Medium, Hard, Legend when doing Tour mode instead of the event difficulty being decided by Evolution. It's also not speculation but has been confirmed to come in future patch(es)

Top Bottom