• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Bikes, a standalone expansion, is coming to PS4. Today.

I think it's amazing how Evolution were able to turn this game around. It went from being a disaster at launch, to a game I have no issues recommending and it's still expanding. Fantastic work.

MaDKaT

Played a bit and I'm not sure what to think. With as much power sliding you can do, the rider should really be kicking that leg out motard style. I can live without the rider crash but really wish we could dial back the super epic sticky traction and allow you to lose traction and wash out. Seems the only real threat to the bike is just hitting something. Pretty much power brake and drift through everything. I get the game leans arcade but damn.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Played a bit and I'm not sure what to think. With as much power sliding you can do, the rider should really be kicking that leg out motard style. I can live without the rider crash but really wish we could dial back the super epic sticky traction and allow you to lose traction and wash out. Seems the only real threat to the bike is just hitting something. Pretty much power brake and drift through everything. I get the game leans arcade but damn.

Yep way more arcadey than the cars. You can tell the difference between the cars, not so much with bikes since the handling makes the gameplay them shallow as fuck. I'm having fun though.

Yep way more arcadey than the cars. You can tell the difference between the cars, not so much with bikes since the handling makes the gameplay them shallow as fuck. I'm having fun though.

Shouldn't this be the ultimate goal anyway?

The sense of speed from driver's view is scary to me. I constantly tense up.

Makikou

It's arcadey for sure, but i wouldn't take it any other way. Key to fastest laptimes is still not sliding around too much so even though you wont fall, you will still be going a bit slower than the guys who can control their throttle inputs. So yeah, i think the difficulty comes from being truly fast and not just being on your side on the ground not going anywhere all the time.

Also, the bikes definetly are different. It's just a matter of getting a feel for them first. The differences are FAR more delicate and most apparent during cornering and getting back on power..

For example the KTM RC8 R, Yamaha YZF-R1 and Ducati 1098R are all very different beasts

MaDKaT

Fun is subjective. I personally find immense enjoyment riding on the edge of my tires grip. Fine line between cutting a nice corner and washing out. Seems to be just about impossible on these bikes. Something you can do with the cars. No doubt a design choice. Possibly tied to the lack of crash animations. Not going to write the expansion off. Just a little disappointing.

Sirenty

So any word on when this is dropping in North America? Checked the PS Store and it was there, but said Unavailable.

I'm on the east coast and I bought it 4 hours ago and have been playing since. I did it through the PS4 store, though, as it wasn't showing on the web site for me.

Fun is subjective. I personally find immense enjoyment riding on the edge of my tires grip. Fine line between cutting a nice corner and washing out. Seems to be just about impossible on these bikes. Something you can do with the cars. No doubt a design choice. Possibly tied to the lack of crash animations. Not going to write the expansion off. Just a little disappointing.

Absolutely. My point being that if despite the things some people seem to be disappointed with in this expansion, you still walk away from it thinking "I'm having fun", then that should trump. It doesn't invalidate the critiques obviously, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that most people here playing games are doing so to have fun. Conversely, if the lack of X feature or Y mechanic is creating a barrier to you having fun, then that is equally valid.

So any word on when this is dropping in North America? Checked the PS Store and it was there, but said Unavailable.

Should be up and playable now. I'm on the west coast and have it.

I honestly watched the video expecting bicycles, you know.....bikes. Instead, what I got was motorcycles. Not the same thing. I hate it when people use the word "bikes" when what they really mean is "motorcycles". Use a different word.....like "mikes".

Please go up to a group of bikers and tell that they're all wrong.

budpikmin

Can someone please clarify - if I buy the standalone version of Driveclub Bikes does the full original Driveclub game come with it?

kevin1025

Banned

It says unavailable for the standalone when you own Driveclub. The add-on version of Bikes is the one you're looking for!

Can someone please clarify - if I buy the standalone version of Driveclub Bikes does the full original Driveclub game come with it?

It does not, but the game is $14.99 if you have Plus, and $19.99 for the game and season pass (minus Bikes).

There should be two versions. One, the standalone and the other is the expansion. For some reason it doesn't let you download the standalone it if you already own the main game. Try buying it within the game, if not then it's under "bundles" on PSN.

Im not. I mean, its unnecessary and didnt hurt Burnout Paradise either when it was absent. This isn't RoadRash and I dont need myself or my kids seeing bodies fly into the air.... I mean, it doesn't add anything.

So your kids will think that crashing a bike is safe.

thenameDS

This is great fun, the sense of speed in helmet view is superb. Super arcade feel and you slide around loads, but if you get the handling down taking corners without sliding is much more effective and quick.

DigSCCP

As a bike rider since 13 years old when I saw the announcement I went crazy.
But after this video I lost my hype :/
Honestly I dont care about see the rider falling after a hit Im totally ok if they choose to not do this, but man see a rider hiting walls like in this video?
WTF
I know its an arcade game still tho for one who rides this feel very very strange.
Will grab it anyway cuz I imagine that sound must be amazing - can anyone say something about it? - and the speed feeling for sure is there...but hittin walls to do curves with a bike?

Is basegame DriveClub seriously only $14.99 digitally now?

If so, definitely gonna spring for a digital version. Already have the Season Pass from months back

GodofWine

So your kids will think that crashing a bike is safe.

Yep, exactly :/ because kids are like totally stupid... /s

As a parent, please refrain from giving other parents worthless parental advice, especially if you don't have kids. Its like the most annoying thing in the world to parents, seriously.. I know people mean well, but it comes off as shallow, uninformed , and irritating 99% of the time.

As an adult, I also see no need to see an animated body fly into a tree.

GodofWine

I know its an arcade game still tho for one who rides this feel very very strange.
Will grab it anyway cuz I imagine that sound must be amazing - can anyone say something about it? - and the speed feeling for sure is there...but hittin walls to do curves with a bike?

Hitting walls is not the fastest way around a corner, you won't 3 star anything like that.

The sound is damn good, very visceral experience

Yep, exactly :/ because kids are like totally stupid... /s

As a parent, please refrain from giving other parents worthless parental advice, especially if you don't have kids. Its like the most annoying thing in the world to parents, seriously.. I know people mean well, but it comes off as shallow, uninformed , and irritating 99% of the time.

As an adult, I also see no need to see an animated body fly into a tree.

LOL

32 and the parent of a 12 and 3 year old.

They know what happens when people crash into shit and that's fine. I just don't see what the point having a dude ragdoll way the piss off his bike would accomplish other than a few chuckles at first. We could play Trials for that and have a good time.
I'm just saying that I preferred how PGR4 and Burnout did it. I crash and I'm immediately back on my bike.

Bikes were a bad addition to PGR as well. No thanks.

No way! They were awesome. Wish Driveclub had Car Vs Bike also :/

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I can't do the Super series in the cars in FPV because I have to slow the car down from fear. So far the reactions are good. I'm not against this either. So I'll get on it.

Jeremy

Can anyone explain how Driveclub works? I have the PS Plus version. Do I need to buy the $14.99 version to get access to different things? Do I need the season pass? Does it come with ALL the DLC? Does it come with Bikes?

Any impressions yet? I'd be interested in buying this.

I have to say...Im a bit disappointed. I realize this game is arcadey but it feels like they went too far with the bikes in the arcade direction. The cars feel much closer to actual cars than the bikes do to real bikes.

There is just no skill or consequence to anything with the bikes. You can drift the rear end around and lock up the rear coming in hot to a corner and it doesnt require any thought or effort to do it, because the bikes will always sort you out. They're too infallible; they feel impossible to crash.

There should be at least a little bit of finesse required to control them but there isnt. They feel like blunt objects you bludgeon the course to death with.

There is still a lot of fun to be had here and maybe its just me that was wishing for something a little more sim-cade like the rest of the game but I cant help but be a little bummed.

Arondight

No ragdoll effects=missed opportunity. Want to experience accidentally crashing and flying off in First person mode. Like riding the bikes. Far more intense but a little easier to control.

CHC

Man it's too bad traction and braking aren't more of a focus. I don't mind arcade-like but the whole challenge of being fast on a motorcycle comes from managing corners. It's definitely a little hard to believe in this when you see the guy run so wide he winds up banked over in the gravel, but he sticks to it without so much as a wobble of the front end. You'd be on your ass in a millisecond....

rawd

1. The cornering feels so goooooood
2. If you thought you needed a soft throttle finger in DC, wait til you play bikes

So. much. fun. I dont want to go to bed

edit:
3. The stunt challenges on the tour... wheelie, stoppies and speed zones. So cool

Electret

Love DC, so this is cool.

Any chance of new tracks in the future? City tracks, por favor!

I really wanted to ask about the reported graphical upgrade due for DC. Any news on this? It's not part of this update, is it? Any release date planned? I think the tweet regarding the upgrade seemed to imply it was coming soon.

interesting - the youtube german channel 1000PS does track on-bike video using a gyro stabilised camera that keeps the horizon flat while the bike yaws this way and that, it looks totally awesome and maybe was the inspiration for how Driveclub have done the view nearly locked to the horizon, instead of locked to the bike ..

kevin1025

Banned
There's a bundle full game plus season pass for a $20 in is psn

It is! I sold my physical copy back during the summer (I regretted it after), but I bought the game and season pass today for twenty bucks. That's a steal for the amount of content, and a perfect price for anyone curious. I'm super glad to hear everyone's into Bikes so far, I can't wait to give that a try soon.

I bought a physical copy of Driveclub back in March (and the season pass) but I think I'll pick up the digital version as well as the bike expansion next week. The PS+ price for the standalone game is too good to pass up and I'm looking forward to messing around with the bikes.

Can't wait!

Shaneus

Perfect analogy. Such a stark contrast to the car side of the game.
I haven't played with the packs yet, but I'd give Evo the benefit of the doubt that they'll tune and fix this pretty quickly. They've done alright with fixing issues with other cars, so I'm sure bikes will only get better as time goes on.

Top Bottom