• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Putty

I'm hugely looking forward to seeing this! My Evo mate is hinting of something spectacular! I mentioned to him about 30/60 fps and wheel support, but he just said wait till E3! Just a few days to go now!

Also I would never directly quote him he if told me anything specific, In terms of info not actually in the wild.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm pretty worried of how the game will look at E3 now. Everyone seems to focus on the nice gif but there are some problems to me in those new footage. The light seems off, no reflection, popping in, bland and empty background, no sky... There is something terribly unnatural bout this snowy race for exemple..

~~Hasan~~

They look different because of the different environments each are in, along with one being in motion (blur).
Hey i am not complaining. I dont think they would downgrade the gamw. If anything, make it better thanks to the extra ram since their dev kit didn't have 8 gigs of ram

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty worried of how the game will look at E3 now. Everyone seems to focus on the nice gif but there are some problems to me in those new footage. The light seems off, no reflection, popping in, bland and empty background, no sky... There is something terribly unnatural bout this snowy race for exemple..

First two seconds of DC footage shows reflections.

GfmNlNf.jpg

Aren't you an artist? Different lighting conditions generate different visuals. The only issue I see is the vegetation pop-in, which is so notorious it just has to be due to the early nature of the footage.

Respawn

Banned
First two seconds of DC footage shows reflections.

http://i.imgur.com/GfmNlNf.jpg[/MG]

Aren't you an artist? Different lighting conditions generate different visuals. The only issue I see is the vegetation pop-in, which is so notorious it just has to be due to the early nature of the footage.[/QUOTE]

Hmm could be old footage to.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Having a hard time finding a downgrade... maybe an upgrade in distant car detail and distant trees if anything.

(btw, 720p Youtube capture vs 1080p gamersyde high quality from announcement trailer)

fNGSjTC.jpg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I hope they let us just drive around some tracks peacefully, one of my favourite things in GT5 was just going for a drive at sunrise/set and taking in the sights.

nib95

Banned
I hope they let us just drive around some tracks peacefully, one of my favourite things in GT5 was just going for a drive at sunrise/set and taking in the sights.

Going to sound stupid, but you know how GT5 lets you place cars in those little pre set scenes for photo mode etc, would be cool is they had a free roam mode in the city, countryside or whatever, with actual traffic, cars, pedestrians and all the rest. Just to drive around and enjoy the scenery and your car.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not only that environment reflections are visible, but you can even see that the cars in front of you dynamically reflect on your hood, a feature that's still very rare in racing games. I literally have no idea how you got the impression that they're not there.

Also, this is what winter, partially overcast lighting looks like, it may not be very exciting looking, but it looks realistic, and reminds me of winter and cold.

It's definitely early footage, hence the glaring faults here and there (speedometer lacks needle, the mirrors aren't showing anything, there's pop-up, etc.).

All in all, it is really impressive.

Racer30

Not only that environment reflections are visible, but you can even see that the cars in front of you dynamically reflect on your hood, a feature that's still very rare in racing games. I literally have no idea how you got the impression that they're not there.

Also, this is what winter, partially overcast lighting looks like, it may not be very exciting looking, but it looks realistic, and reminds me of winter and cold.

I do. He`s working for Microsoft. :)

Some info from phosphor:

MOD REQUEST: Please edit title to say "Play Magazine"

• Tries to showcase many PS4 features and strengths
  • Not about smashing others off the road, but not exactly a sim either
  • lighting and reflections off of car are "spectacular"
  • Heavy social integration
  • Emphasis on team helps bring accessibility as opposed to outright competition for top spot

Q&A with Matt Southern, Col Rodgers, and technical director Scott Kirkland
  • They talk about their roots as a sim developer with WRC and Eurofighter Typhoon
  • Evolutions first involvement with the PS4 started in 2008
  • Dualshock 4 started development in 2010
  • High speed in DS4 gyros allow extremely accurate steering in racing games
  • Photorealism is a huge goal for Drive Club
    [*]Massive amounts of particles, realistic atmospheric effects, high attention to detail
  • Focus on owning and being a part of a racing team, owning very valuable carst
  • "Powerful low level access" of GPU
  • Material based lighting engine
  • "Flecked" metallic paint.
  • Woven carbon fiber, as opposed to just a texture.
  • "...diverse array of rich environments"
  • Detailed driving surfaces
    [*]Environment examples: roadside grass, scrub, memorable landmarks, stunning skies, staggering vistas
  • Extensive driver animation
    [*]Fully dynamic lighting for time of day effects
  • Streaming and spectating is in
  • Regarding DS4 again stiffer trigger springs smaller deadzones
  • Improved rumble
  • Touchpad used for navigating UI easily
  • Evolution Studios compared PD to a 106-piece orchestra while and themselves to a rockband. Dedicated to uniting people in bringing speed on "roads in the real world."
  • When asked about Forza and other MS franchises, they repond "If we aren't first or best, we aren't happy."
  • Sights of inspiration come from movies like Senna and Drive

Club if old.

They haven't shown off the particle effects yet

bud

Going to sound stupid, but you know how GT5 lets you place cars in those little pre set scenes for photo mode etc, would be cool is they had a free roam mode in the city, countryside or whatever, with actual traffic, cars, pedestrians and all the rest. Just to drive around and enjoy the scenery and your car.

i would do this with vice city and driver.

do you guys remember driver on the ps1? man, that game was awesome. had a pretty cool commercial, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HWboWfl6_o. driving around san francisco in that game was so much fun.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Yea, totally agree, I think GT5 had a little thing on the main menu with a white 3D city thing, I did hope we would just get a small city to drive around in. The closest to a good long drive sadly is to just go round the Nurburgring, but I ideally want something longer and more alive to just lightly drive around and take in the driving.

Having a hard time finding a downgrade... maybe an upgrade in distant car detail and distant trees if anything.

(btw, 720p Youtube capture vs 1080p gamersyde high quality from announcement trailer)

fNGSjTC.jpg

Having miles of a forest of 3D tress in the backgrounds isn't a new thing.
jdGVYC6Vj47sT.jpg

There just never has been many games to do so. I think the Dirt games might have something like this as well, though I doubt it.
If Bizarre Creations, Turn10 or Polyphony Digital didn't do it, then it doesn't exist in a racing game.

orioto

Good Art™
Having miles of a forest of 3D tress in the backgrounds isn't a new thing.
jdGVYC6Vj47sT.jpg

There just never has been many games to do so. I think the Dirt games might have something like this as well, though I doubt it.
If Bizarre Creations, Turn10 or Polyphony Digital didn't do it, then it doesn't exist in a racing game.

Yeah his, and there is something not convincing nor pretty in the way they are organized in the PS4 game, but that's my opinion. I don't know, there is something i don't like in those footages. But the compression is so high we can't even see the texture quality or iq..

And even if this weather IS meant to look flat.. Why would you choose that to showcase your next gen engine..

Evo are aiming for 60FPS, it's in the OPM UK magazine:

OPM: Are you aiming for 60 frames per second?

Alex Perkins: Increased visual fidelity does cost, there's no argument about it. We are aiming for 60. If I had my way, I'd rather have more stuff going on at a prettier level and lower framerate.

OPM: Tell us, how badly can we damage the cars?

AP: We've gone to the same level of detail as we have with all of the materials, and everything's layered up sensibly so you can scratch and dent and crush. The carbon fibre fractures and cracks, and the metal will buckle and peel, and reveal the layers of paint and, finally, the metal.

Whoah whoah whoah that's huge if they are gonna pull of 60fps in this game. It already looks pretty fucking mindblowing.

If someone tells me inFamous Second Son is gonna run at 60fps then I am going to need someone to hold me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And even if this weather IS meant to look flat.. Why would you choose that to showcase your next gen engine..
Because if part of their next-gen game is intent on being as photorealistic as possible, then showing how they can accurately simulate as many real-world lighting conditions as possible would naturally be part of that showcase.

And overcast conditions are hardly the only, or first, thing they showed anyway.

zoukka

If they nail 60fps, it's an instabuy for me just to experience as many 60fps games on new hardware as possible.

Instant age rating increase there :b

Yeah his, and there is something not convincing nor pretty in the way they are organized in the PS4 game, but that's my opinion. I don't know, there is something i don't like in those footages. But the compression is so high we can't even see the texture quality or iq..

Orioto my dear man. You are setting yourself up for a massive disappointment considering next-gen games.

Well, lets hope you don't have your way then

A quick search shows that he's the art director. So it's not surprise that he'd prefer a lower framerate so that the assets that he works on can shine more. The call for 60fps likely comes from the people in charge of the main gameplay. The physics people, director's etc.

Whoah whoah whoah that's huge if they are gonna pull of 60fps in this game. It already looks pretty fucking mindblowing.

If someone tells me inFamous Second Son is gonna run at 60fps then I am going to need someone to hold me.

OH FUCK IMAGINE IT. It would be like when you're near the sea in InFamous 1 and 2 but all of the time!! :)

sunnz

If they nail 60fps, it's an instabuy for me just to experience as many 60fps games on new hardware as possible.

Instant age rating increase there :b

Orioto my dear man. You are setting yourself up for a massive disappointment considering next-gen games.

Could be like Driver: SF or MC:LA, were they have super dodging skills.

Top Bottom