• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub PS+ Edition Has Been M.I.A. For 100 Days

SummitAve

Banned
But it is a shadow of the full game. Essentially, instead of buying a fantastic game, that has recently been heavily discounted, and supporting devs that have not just released a quality product, but have been continuously updating it and providing more and more free content, you are denying them a sale because Sony promised you a free bite size version.

I mean, really? Since when have we needed demo's or prologue releases to decide our purchases anyway? Honestly, PS+ is a great service that has delivered many fantastic releases, and a lack of Driveclub PS+ Edition doesn't change that. Not saying people don't have a right to be upset at a lack of it, but honestly they are being extremely pedantic. Ultimately what matters is that the game is great, is getting continued support, and most importantly, works for the gamers who actually bought it.

Free bite sized version? I paid for that shit, monthly.

desu

Lol.

When it was being promoted as one of the reasons to buy a PS4, it was a lot more than a demo; It was enough of the game to earn a platinum trophy. Now that it hasn't turned up, its importance is being downplayed and it is relegated to demo status.

Unless anything has changed until now, you can still earn a platinum in the demo. As long as you have a single car/track you can get it. Some special tour (career mode) trophies have been moved to a DLC styled trophy list just for this reason ...

But it is a shadow of the full game. Essentially, instead of buying a fantastic game, that has recently been heavily discounted, and supporting devs that have not just released a quality product, but have been continuously updating it and providing more and more free content, you are denying them a sale because Sony promised you a free bite size version.

I mean, really? Since when have we needed demo's or prologue releases to decide our purchases anyway? Honestly, PS+ is a great service that has delivered many fantastic releases, and a lack of Driveclub PS+ Edition doesn't change that. Not saying people don't have a right to be upset at the lack of it's release, but honestly some are being extremely pedantic. Ultimately what matters is that the game is great, is getting continued support, and most importantly, works for the gamers who actually bought it.

But I did buy it.

nib95

Banned
Free bite sized version? I paid for that shit, monthly.

No, you paid for PS+ as an entire service. Including online play, the countless other games and releases, discounts, cloud saves etc. Or at least I hope you did. If you really bought PS+ just for a free (non existent) edition of Driveclub, I can't say I'd agree it was a sensible decision.

But I did buy it.
So wouldn't you rather have a fully functioning game? The issues pertaining to DC are disappointing, but it is what it is. Ultimately what matters is delivering a fully functional game to paying customers (which at present we have to most extents). If a PS+ release jeopardises that, and could lead to more online woes and errors for everyone involved, until they can guarantee a fix for that, they should not release it.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm kind of glad I went ahead and decided to buy it. As I actually think it is making me better at driving games due to the challenge it can present.

Qassim

I decided I wasn't that interested in buying this game during the private Cupcake beta, that coupled with the release date being around the same time as the Horizon 2 pretty much guaranteed I would be waiting for the PS+ version before rethinking my decision.

The PS+ version is the last chance for me.

MJLord

No, you paid for PS+ as an entire service. Including online play, the countless other games and releases, discounts, cloud saves etc. Or at least I hope you did. If you really bought PS+ just for a free (non existent) edition of Driveclub, I can't say I'd agree it was a sensible decision.

So wouldn't you rather have a fully functioning game? The issues pertaining to DC are disappointing, but it is what it is. Ultimately what matters is delivering a fully functional game to paying customers (which at present we have to most extents). If a PS+ release jeopardises that, and could lead to more online woes and errors for everyone involved, until they can guarantee a fix for that, they should not release it.

You've got a cool head. I mirror your opinion.

I'm not saying, just release the thing and fuck it up for all of the paying customers. I never ever said that. I understand that there are reasons for the delay.

That said, its still a poor show considering when it was supposed to arrive, and the communication on the delay hasn't been great which is why threads like this pop up.

kinda like i pay for a TV package and part of the deal is 3 months of HBO for free but they don't give me HBO but it's ok right? nope.

SummitAve

Banned

Obviously... None of that addresses your misrepresentation of what was to be expected by paying PSN+ members though. Nothing was ever going to be free, this has all been paid for already.

Willectro

Banned
I will say it again...

''Hey guys, we need to pull the free Plus edition cause the servers don't work''

''Okay great, I'm going to buy the game right now''

It's not logical at all...

Numerous posts in this thread alone have stated that the game is great and people should just buy it.

Nyx

Numerous posts in this thread alone have stated that the game is great and people should just buy it.

Yes, but that is another thing right?

Some people are suggesting Evo/Sony pulled the Plus edition so that more people would buy the game, which in my opinion is a silly thought.... No company wants the problems DC had at launch and no company would ''fake'' problems to get more sales. Problems usually give bad PR and less sales...

All the comments that it's being deliberately held back to boost sales are just toxic. This has been a PR nightmare for Sony and Evo, but a few disgruntled gamers jump straight to the conclusion that it's all down to corporate greed, and that's sad. You think Rushy is happy that his CV will forever be stained as the man in charge of the DriveClub fiasco? I guess I just like to dream we're all adults on GAF who actually have a clue how the real world works, but the number of immature, thoughtless posts quickly brings me back to reality.

that *is* how the real world works. and as for Sony specifically, look at the people who have been defrauded on the PSN and look at Sony's response. stoic and cold, referring to the TOS instead of actually trying to help customers even with obvious evidence supporting customer claims. beholden to their shareholders some will say...

Whether the game is good or bad, GOTY or the biggest pile of shit ever, is irrelevant to the real point here. This thread exists because a company did not deliver on a promise, and is failing to adequately communicate with their customers.

Moohan

Banned
I tried to make a similar post to the op in a drive club thread about how it's not right that they are peddling dlc already and the game just got to a release-ready state and the ps+ version is no where in sight, and I got attacked.

Sony used the ps+ edition to advertise and sell ps+ subs at the 2013 e3 before the console was released. Yet here we are almost 1.5 years post release and it's nowhere.

You cant advertise things you don't deliver on. Sony does this all the time though. Instant resume, share play and gaikai/ ps now were advertised at pre release e3 as if they would be ready at or near release. Of course none of them were, and those that we have now are not very well implememted anyway.

The drive club ps+ version is more about holding sony accountable for their promises rather than just the game itself, and it's beyond me how many people here on gaf miss that point. Sony does this sort of thing too often and it's not okay.

Full disclosure: I received the game as a xmas present and enjoy it. Still think the ps+ version being vapor ware is wrong.

Could not agree anymore if I tried.... so far this Gen has been nothing but Empty Promises and Broken dreams.... the more we all damage control any company, publisher, or game and continue to argue with each other the more these type of practices will continue. It's not about if the game is solid at this point (1.5 years after it was supposed to be released as a finished system selling product), its about the constant lying and false advertisement that the Gaming Companies are getting away with and the lack of awareness about it due to paying off the media and the blind fanboyism found in each and everyone of us.

NO company/developer is free of my claims either.... think about all the nonsense that has been released so far and even the great ND is starting the Damage Control for their empty promises and claims from the UC4 reveal.... but whatever keep your goggles on people... keep justifying your blind faith in companies that care about your wallet and nothing more... and we will continue to move toward the mobile, milk you dry market.

Seems like Evolution is a small studio. They are doing their best to improve the game by adding new tracks, weather etc but game doesn't seem to be selling all that well.

their main priority should be making it free on PSN, so they can entice more customers. But they are wasting their time improving a game no one is buying similar to what GG does with Killzone SF

I think in conclusion that both sides are right.

Buy it side: Game is actually really good and incredibly cheap right now. Great argument.

Wait for PS+ side: I was promised this version of the game. I will not budge until I get this. Great argument for those that always looked forward to the + game.

Personally I was always leaning on buying the full version of the game and when they offered it for $50 at launch I jumped on that, completed the career mode and enjoyed it.

Rubbish. You don't promote a demo as a big deal. You call it a demo, not 'PS+ Version'.

That's why it's damn good marketing (except the part where they didn't release it).

pr0cs

Master Chief Collection?? There are bungled releases from both camps. What does LBP3 have to do with a demo not being released yet anyway.

I thought this thread was talking about Sony games??

LBP3 and Driveclub show that Sony needs to ramp up testing games BEFORE they're released, not inflicting them on customers and having them report defects.
There is no excuse why Driveclub was released so late and when it finally went out was a disaster (and still they sold it).
There is no excuse why LBP3 was released in it's current form, you could argue the game is way too short compared to it's predecessors (<6 hours) but the amount of bugs in the game is astounding.. go look on youtube if you want to see what a shit show LBP3 is.

Sumo as expected is sweeping everything under the table.

ICPEE

Some people are suggesting Evo/Sony pulled the Plus edition so that more people would buy the game, which in my opinion is a silly thought.... No company wants the problems DC had at launch and no company would ''fake'' problems to get more sales. Problems usually give bad PR and less sales...
Some people are full of it. Its well documented that this title is suffering performance problems and the devs are actively trying to rectify them. Release a broken PS+ edition and Evo heap yet more shit ontop of the shit they trying to fix.

games launch with problems every day and still manage to sell.

nib95

Banned
I'm not saying, just release the thing and fuck it up for all of the paying customers. I never ever said that. I understand that there are reasons for the delay.

That said, its still a poor show considering when it was supposed to arrive, and the communication on the delay hasn't been great which is why threads like this pop up.

That much we can agree on. But are they really failing to communicate the reasons why though? They have already expressed the reason why, regarding server load and solving those issues first. Realistically, how often do you exactly expect them to re-iterate that point? What would be a fair number of times to you, for them to repeat the same thing?

That much we can agree on. But are they really failing to communicate the reasons why though? They have already expressed the reason why, regarding server load and solving those issues first. Realistically, how often do you exactly expect them to re-iterate that point? What would be a fair number of times to you, for them to repeat the same thing?

They aren't very forthcoming on when, or if, the game will ever see the light of day, so in that sense the comms have been lacking.

If they had been, we wouldn't be in this thread discussing it I'd imagine. I know its not necessarily a simple answer, and if they were to estimate and fall short there would likely be even more of a backlash, but they made a commitment to people and people have a right to ask what is going on and when they will get what they have been promised.

The people saying "its cheap and awesome so buy it" are missing the point completely.

They should give the PS+ edition to everyone even without PS+ as compensation.

I don't really understand the logic behind this - non-PS+ people were never going to get ANY version of the game, so they should get the PS+ edition because they...what? DIDN'T pay for PS+? DIDN'T buy the game? So confused.

ICPEE

I thought this thread was talking about Sony games??

LBP3 and Driveclub show that Sony needs to ramp up testing games BEFORE they're released, not inflicting them on customers and having them report defects.
There is no excuse why Driveclub was released so late and when it finally went out was a disaster (and still they sold it).
There is no excuse why LBP3 was released in it's current form, you could argue the game is way too short compared to it's predecessors (<6 hours) but the amount of bugs in the game is astounding.. go look on youtube if you want to see what a shit show LBP3 is.

Sumo as expected is sweeping everything under the table.
Microsoft needs to ramp up testing BEFORE they released, not inflicting them on customers and having them report defects. Both camps are guilty of releasing broken titles. Easy to look at youtube and point out faults than to actually play the game. Evo do deserve flak for their handling of Driveclub and they should also communicate with the community on the progress of the PS+ edition, they deserve a bit of shit for that. However they are trying to fix online peformance issues and until they feel they have it down pat 100 percent they should not release the PS+ version and people should be patient. If not, there are other racing titles to purchase. It just gets old having the same discussion in almost every Driveclub thread.

Microsoft needs to ramp up testing BEFORE they released, not inflicting them on customers and having them report defects. Both camps are guilty of releasing broken titles. Easy to look at youtube and point out faults than to actually play the game. Evo do deserve flak for their handling of Driveclub and they should also communicate with the community on the progress of the PS+ edition, they deserve a bit of shit for that. However they are trying to fix online peformance issues and until they feel they have it down pat 100 percent they should not release the PS+ version and people should be patient. If not, there are other racing titles to purchase. It just gets old having the same discussion in almost every Driveclub thread.

Why bring MS into this? Its irrelevant to the thread

nib95

Banned
They aren't very forthcoming on when, or if, the game will ever see the light of day, so in that sense the comms have been lacking.

If they had been, we wouldn't be in this thread discussing it I'd imagine. I know its not necessarily a simple answer, and if they were to estimate and fall short there would likely be even more of a backlash, but they made a commitment to people and people have a right to ask what is going on and when they will get what they have been promised.

The people saying "its cheap and awesome so buy it" are missing the point completely.

Do you think Sony is even aware of when exactly the product will be ready for the PS+ release, along with the added server load it'll bring? Do you think Evolution are?

EGM1966

Its still the sensible (if unpopular choice). Game is mostly stable but given it seems to be edging close to 1m players (not sold just shown players) i suspect Plus version influx would cause issues and associated bad press the game desperately needs to avoid. I doubt we'll see Plus version until theyre sure code is solid and TBH honest if I was them id stage the release by region starting with smaller regions to minimise risk of huge spikes in online activity.

Sometimes sensible business decicions are the way to go even if they're not the most popular.

I don't really understand the logic behind this - non-PS+ people were never going to get ANY version of the game, so they should get the PS+ edition because they...what? DIDN'T pay for PS+? DIDN'T buy the game? So confused.

I didn't pay for PS+ and I got the PS+ discount at launch :D. People need to be more creative.

Willectro

Banned

Having a free version of a game on PS+ will negatively impact sales, specifically as Driveclub is concerned. Considering the PS+ "issue" wasn't the only problem on launch, they had bad PR either way. I feel like many people would have downloaded the PS+ version, tried the game out, got their fill and then never go back (or open their wallet for that matter). Better for them to cash in on the people who couldn't wait.

Tigress

Isn't there a ps plus discount for driveclub? $20 for full game?

Last I checked for US it's still 50 for full game. It's 20 lbs in UK for full game right now, but keep in mind, that's not 20 dollars...

Anyways, for those saying just buy it or worse, "You weren't interested anyways." You miss the point. They promised us something and they haven't given us something. It doesn't matter if it is "just a demo" or if we planned on buying the full version, they haven't lived up to their word and yes, people should hold them to their word. And not just reward them for not buy buying the game instead. Oh, and just so you know, just cause some one has patience to wait for a game doesn't mean they had no interest. Just cause you have no willpower doesn't mean others don't. Or it could mean that we are interested enough to try it out and see if we want it but not interested enough to risk the money (for some of us even 30 dollars is expensive so I'm picky what games I get with my money. And honestly, without Lamborghinis they will really have to wow me to get the game. But I'm willing to try it to see if they do wow me. I'm not willing to risk even 30 dollars though on whether it will or not).

Granted, I will give the people who are proposing that maybe they still don't think that the servers are ready for the PS+ version and this isn't some malicious way of not giving us what we promised (though I will admit at this point I wonder even if it wasn't malicious if they'll just think no one is interested anymore anyways and not give it to us). But I do think it's not unreasonable to ask that they give us a little something more than they were in apology for the fact that they messed up (on purpose or not, they still messed up. And why are the customers being yelled at for being upset at that?). Like a much better discount on the game than what you can get full price (not just 10 dollars off). Or if possible (I realize this may not be easy to change what they are offering), a little more in the demo than they were going to offer us. But I realize that one might not be feasable (I don't know much about programming and how hard it is to change what the demo gives us).

Just something as an apology for the wait would go a long way in good customer service and show us that they truly are sorry.

Do you think Sony is even aware of when exactly the product will be ready for the PS+ release, along with the added server load it'll bring? Do you think Evolution are?

Apparently not, and I did say that they'd make things worse if they communicate an estimate and fail to deliver again. I do understand why its tricky for them, but they don't give much in the way of progress updates either. People are clearly interested as this thread shows.

At this point it is probably worth Evo admitting defeat and scrapping the PS+ version all together, and Sony giving away something else for free as an apology for the fuck up. Something like Knack or Killzone as a token gesture.

Basically, shit or get off the pot.

Siegmeyer

that *is* how the real world works. and as for Sony specifically, look at the people who have been defrauded on the PSN and look at Sony's response. stoic and cold, referring to the TOS instead of actually trying to help customers even with obvious evidence supporting customer claims. beholden to their shareholders some will say...

Why are you bringing shitty customer service on fraud claims into this? It doesn't automatically imply that they are deliberately witholding on a promised demo in an attempt to boost sales. As Nyx has been saying, logically it seems like a stupid business idea, this thread is living proof of that.

games launch with problems every day and still manage to sell.

And games with less problems sell better. Both DC and AC: Unity had troubled launches, and both have ended up giving away free stuff to compensate. Has this all been part of the plan too?

Edit: As I said in my initial post in this thread, I completely understand the disappointment/anger at the delay, and I respect anyone who won't buy it on principle. Has the communication been lacking on keeping people in the loop? Absolutely. I just don't get the leap that therefore this has all been a ploy to make more money.

they hope we just all forget about it an move on

This is what I'm thinking as well. Either that or they hope we just break down and buy it.

Anybody interested in the game should just buy it already.

I'm sure that's what they are hoping, too. Although I would not buy this game as I am not a huge driving fan, I was very interested in checking out the PS+ version. But even if I was really into these types of games, I would not buy it until the PS+ version drops on principle. I don't want to give-in and reward them for their screw-up.

not that i necessarily agree with his comment, but i was subbed to ps+ for the last year, so technically i WAS going to get it and should have got it when it was supposed to be released, but my sub has expired now and doubt ill be renewing.

pr0cs

It just gets old having the same discussion in almost every Driveclub thread.

Maybe you didn't read the OP?
They deserve to be taken to task about no PS+ version being released, no firm date in sight. That is the topic of this thread. The Driveclub thread might have content you're more interested in if you don't want to hear about how people are dissatisfied with Sony and EVO, in particular their terrible QA

How people can excuse this by trying to make it anything but Sony not fulfilling their promises is beyond me. Afaic Sony needs to make good on their promise or compinsate all ps+ subscribers.

Ooccoo

How this isn't false advertising is pissing me off. Sony should be sued like any other company that does this shit. You lied.

OuterLimits

Rubbish. You don't promote a demo as a big deal. You call it a demo, not 'PS+ Version'.

Do you see any of the other demos on PSN being publicised at E3 etc?

Relegating it to demo status is just damage limitation.

Also, you'd have to ask Rushy if he was being disingenuous saying you could earn the DC platinum in the free version, when what he actually meant was the PS+ version has it's own platinum trophy.

Exactly. Great post. Not sure why so many feel the need to defend Sony on this. Sony messed up and deserves criticism.

Instead we get stupid defenses like: "It was always a demo and not anything special", or "Just buy the game and stop being cheap"

Driveclub is indeed a good game, but that doesn't change the fact that Sony hasn't delivered on what they promised.

Seems like Evolution is a small studio. They are doing their best to improve the game by adding new tracks, weather etc but game doesn't seem to be selling all that well.

their main priority should be making it free on PSN, so they can entice more customers. But they are wasting their time improving a game no one is buying similar to what GG does with Killzone SF

Their priority should be to make it free because aren't buying it?

Top Bottom