• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub PS+ Edition Has Been M.I.A. For 100 Days

No, the promised PS+ edition only missing a few cars and tracks that people have already paid for isn't out. The $50 digital version of the retail release, which is what I think you're referring to, is the only thing up there right now.

Oh. Well I got mine for £20 with all dlc which was a exclusive offer to ps+ Thought this was what the PS+ was? Deal seemed good to me anyways.

I can see that principles don't mean much to you. If you're not a principled man then I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise. I'm just trying to help you see beyond your own world view so you can understand why people find the suggestion to just buy the full game ridiculous.
Sometimes you need to take a step back and gain some perspective.

They are video games. You aren't fighting some noble fight. You aren't using your principles (all the way up on that high horse) to actually do anything useful.

That sucks if you went and purchased a subscription for something that didn't release, but that's also your own fault. If you didn't see $50 worth of value in the subscription based upon what was available, you should not have purchased it.

braves01

Banned
Oh. Well I got mine for £20 with all dlc which was a exclusive offer to ps+ Thought this was what the PS+ was? Deal seemed good to me anyways.

Yeah, it's a little confusing to me why the full digital release is PS+ exclusive, but I guess that idea made more sense when all PS+ subs were also getting a free version of the game they would hopefully want to upgrade. Might as well drop the PS+ exclusivity now considering $50 is hardly a good price for the game anymore.

Chabbles

The people moaning about the moaners are more moanie than the original moaners who have a legitimate reason to moan to begin with.

seady

The game would have benefit so much if they polish it up and release it now during dry season with no new games.

Instead they rushed it out during busy holiday season, got bad rep and bad sale, and wasted the IP.

Nyx

The people moaning about the moaners are more moanie than the original moaners who have a legitimate reason to moan to begin with.

l.gif

The game would have benefit so much if they polish it up and release it now during dry season with no new games.

Instead they rushed it out during busy holiday season, got bad rep and bad sale, and wasted the IP.

Sales have exceeded expectations, this IP is very much alive.

Cornbread78

I'm really surprised they haven't run this type of deal in NA PSN as of yet. It would make sense for them to sell it at a discount to try and build the player base as much as possible.

shpankey

not an idiot
Though, to be fair, why should we go out and buy a game that they are admitting is not ready for prime time? If it is not stable enough for them to release a demo of it, I sure as heck don't feel comfortable buying said item.

drotahorror

This is unbelievable. How hard can it be? I'm genuinely curious here.

Apparently it's unbelievably hard. (not sarcastic)

Honestly, I feel like this was sabotage from the start. Someone inside the dev team screwed them.

Love DC though, best PS4 game that I've played. They should really change the name to WeatherClub.

Though, to be fair, why should we go out and buy a game that they are admitting is not ready for prime time? If it is not stable enough for them to release a demo of it, I sure as heck don't feel comfortable buying said item.

Regardless of how stable the online portion is/was the game is phenomenal. Do you like racing games? If yes, buy it. No? Wait for free version comes out/doesn't come out and be on your way.

Willectro

Banned
It's too bad because the game looks good and people seem to like it. However, it's pretty transparent that they didn't want the PS+ version to impact sales.

Nyx

However, it's pretty transparent that they didn't want the PS+ version to impact sales.

I will say it again...

''Hey guys, we need to pull the free Plus edition cause the servers don't work''

''Okay great, I'm going to buy the game right now''

It's not logical at all...

shpankey

not an idiot
Apparently it's unbelievably hard. (not sarcastic)

Honestly, I feel like this was sabotage from the start. Someone inside the dev team screwed them.

Love DC though, best PS4 game that I've played. They should really change the name to WeatherClub.

Regardless of how stable the online portion is/was the game is phenomenal. Do you like racing games? If yes, buy it. No? Wait for free version comes out/doesn't come out and be on your way.

Uhm, I chose option 3. Wait and see and stay right here.

Exile20

Lol, really junior? Games a solid arcade racer and an amazing looker according to people across multiple platforms(including me, love it).....but if you want to rave Sony fanboys....keep trolling I'll grab my popcorn

So what if he is junior? What does that have to do with anything?

I would know. :(

No, the promised PS+ edition only missing a few cars and tracks that people have already paid for isn't out. The $50 digital version of the retail release, which is what I think you're referring to, is the only thing up there right now.

It's not only missing a few cars and tracks, that's a lie.

Mabufu

Banned
OR
You can press the company you've been paying a subscription to to make good on their obligations they themselves signed up to. Is getting what you paid for such an alien concept to you?

No matter which way you try and slice it: paying a company full price for something that they promised you for free as part of a subscription and failed to deliver is a con. Add on top of that the excuse they are giving you is that the full price version (the one you suggest I buy) is not up to snuff. If you think I'm going to sign up for such a blatantly raw deal for the sake of playing some video game you're way off, mate.

I can see that principles don't mean much to you. If you're not a principled man then I'm not going to try and persuade you otherwise. I'm just trying to help you see beyond your own world view so you can understand why people find the suggestion to just buy the full game ridiculous. There are two different propositions here: buying the full game and getting the free version as a subscription perk. Just because people want the later proposition doesn't mean they have any intention or desire to sign up to the former. These people will rightly press for the proposition that they are interested in and were promised.

Obviously there are many people, yourself included, who were interested in the full price game and purchased it. That's great. Enjoy it.

I never said the complains arent legitimate. They are, of course.
But as I've said, I preffer to enjoy a game and have a good time, than worrying about a useless principle.

They are video games. You aren't fighting some noble fight. You aren't using your principles (all the way up on that high horse) to actually do anything useful.

That sucks if you went and purchased a subscription for something that didn't release, but that's also your own fault. If you didn't see $50 worth of value in the subscription based upon what was available, you should not have purchased it.

Just that.

And I can tell you I'm a person full of principles, till the point I'm having always some health problems because my mind can stop thinking and worrying about doing what it has to be done and not what I really whish to.

Not gonna tell you details to no de-rail. But think about what Shadowdarknes said.

desu

No matter which way you try and slice it: paying a company full price for something that they promised you for free as part of a subscription and failed to deliver is a con.

You mean they promised you a demo, roughly 1/5 of the game ... for the full price (or even less than half of it currently) you currently get 5x the content of said demo.

pr0cs

Sony really needs to get their act together around QA, Driveclub still isn't out and LBP3 is a bug ridden disaster. They clearly need to work on stabilizing their games before releasing them.

Tigress

Okay. Might as well buy the game now. If they haven't completely fixed it, why release the PS+ just to have people complain about a free game.

Uh, if they haven't completely fixed it, why buy it?

Also, this was promised to us. Why should we have to buy it if we want to try it when they promised us a demo? Don't act as if those complaining are the problem. Sony said they were going to give this to us and even though I get the impression they've gotten the game to work they still aren't even giving a date.

At this point I think people who have plus definitely should not buy the game until they give us the demo on the principle of the matter. And I'll even go as far as to say they should give a much better discount on the game for plus members. At this point I'm sure I can buy the physical copy for less. Shouldn't plus be giving a perk that's better than not having it?

ICPEE

This shit is getting tedious. We have people claiming they won't buy the game before the demo becomes available. Good, Sony won't be losing sleep over the fact you refuse to purchase a game that is already heavily discounted almost everywhere. There will then still be complaints even when the demo is released for not having enough content or features. People just like to bitch and moan for the sake of bitching and moaning.

angrygnat

I wanted the free version of this game. I would "just buy it" but I'm not going to reward a company for not fulfilling what they said they were going to do. Where else in life would we be called entitled for expecting a company to follow through on its promises? It doesn't exactly scream MUST BUY when a developer can't deliver.

Chabbles

This shit is getting tedious. We have people claiming they won't buy the game before the demo becomes available. Good, Sony won't be losing sleep over the fact you refuse to purchase a game that is already heavily discounted almost everywhere. There will then still be complaints even when the demo is released for not having enough content or features. People just like to bitch and moan for the sake of bitching and moaning.

Its cool how you prove your own point here.

ICPEE

Sony really needs to get their act together around QA, Driveclub still isn't out and LBP3 is a bug ridden disaster. They clearly need to work on stabilizing their games before releasing them.
Master Chief Collection?? There are bungled releases from both camps. What does LBP3 have to do with a demo not being released yet anyway.

I just haven't been too happy with normal Drive Club threads that discuss visuals, weather, gameplay, DLC, server issues, etc.

And that's because half the thread is filled with "Where's my free PS+ edition?"

People are rightfully upset.

But I don't think you are fighting a noble cause and I don't think you are a "man of principle" for skipping out on Drive Club.

Evolution makes great games. Pacific Rift is one of my favorite racers ever. Drive Club is an exceptional game, too.

They had some developmental problems.
And it sucks. We suffered. They suffered. This game has likely been a huge money sink.

I've seen people on GAF (one or two) argue that the studio should be shut down for this.
And well.. I'm not okay with that.

imBask

Banned
I wanted the free version of this game. I would "just buy it" but I'm not going to reward a company for not fulfilling what they said they were going to do. Where else in life would we be called entitled for expecting a company to follow through on its promises? It doesn't exactly scream MUST BUY when a developer can't deliver.

i've been insulted many times in other Driveclub threads because of that opinion

"Yeah but the team working on DLC and the team working on the PS+ edition aren't the same"

If you bought the game you get the respect of the company, if you wanted to try the free version they promised you a long time ago, too bad you're worthless. It's not actually about the free version it's about the message it sends to consumers

Seeing all the positive reactions here on GAF after the game got patched and updated a bunch, I think a PS+ edition could actually sell a bunch of copies.

Don't know what Sony is doing.

nib95

Banned
Seeing all the positive reactions here on GAF after the game got patched and updated a bunch, I think a PS+ edition could actually sell a bunch of copies.

Don't know what Sony is doing.

I don't know tbh. I think most buying the game have some sort of interest in racers, and as such are more forgiving to the games harsher learning curve and more pure experience. I get the feeling that the PS+ version will just lead to a bunch of vocal negativity, from not only those that were never really interested in the game anyway, but also from those who are simply not very good at the game and will find all manner of ways to blame the game for that. Not sure how many people the PS+ version will really covert, that the discounted prices already haven't. It's a tricky one.

watership

Whatever

Just buy the game at this point

Apparently its really good

That's still not what the OP was talking about. Driveclub was announced as coming to PS+ title. It's still not a PS+ title. There is a double standard happening when other publishers get destroyed over similar misses.

ICPEE

I just haven't been too happy with normal Drive Club threads that discuss visuals, weather, gameplay, DLC, server issues, etc.

And that's because half the thread is filled with "Where's my free PS+ edition?"

But I don't think you are fighting a noble cause and I don't think you are a "man of principle" for skipping out on Drive Club.

Evolution makes great games. Pacific Rift is one of my favorite racers ever. Drive Club is an exceptional game, too.

And it sucks. We suffered. They suffered. This game has likely been a huge money sink.

I've seen people on GAF (one or two) argue that the studio should be shut down for this.
This. You actually worded it better than I have in my post. Thank you

I really do feel for those missing out on a bloody great racing game with face melting visuals and sound because of a free demo that was planned and delayed.

Lol.

When it was being promoted as one of the reasons to buy a PS4, it was a lot more than a demo; It was enough of the game to earn a platinum trophy. Now that it hasn't turned up, its importance is being downplayed and it is relegated to demo status.

GameSeeker

The PS+ version should stay MIA.

Evolution has to do two more things before releasing the PS+ version:
1) Add replay mode. The already awesome weather patch + replay mode will make the experience of playing the PS+ version far more awesome that it would have been last Nov.
2) Make sure the the server code is ready for a few million extra customers

DriveClub (post weather patch) is one of the best games of 2014. It will be worth the wait.

Mabufu

Banned
The PS+ version should stay MIA.

Evolution has to do two more things before releasing the PS+ version:
1) Add replay mode. The already awesome weather patch + replay mode will make the experience of playing the PS+ version far more awesome that it would have been last Nov.
2) Make sure the the server code is ready for a few million extra customers

DriveClub (post weather patch) is one of the best games of 2014. It will be worth the wait.

Also pre-patch. I was already an amazing racer before weather blow-out.

Chabbles

Well personally, i bought the game week 1. Its not the point.... and people asking for the studio to be shut down are idiots.imo.

IvorB

Yeah exactly, it's just some video game. So in this case it's quite easy. There are far more difficult battles to be had as you rightly point out. This one is a nobrainer.

People make purchasing decisions based on what they will be getting in return, which in this case was a free version of Driveclub, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

In any event this not about me. I have zero interest in Driveclub beyond checking it out for free. I'm just quite amazed that: "you didn't get that thing a company promised for a subscription so just buy it from them at full price" is actually being put forward as a valid argument. No wonder these game companies take the p*ss. But, yeah, keep repping for Sony man, maybe one day there will be a little something in it for ya.

Lol.

When it was being promoted as one of the reasons to buy a PS4, it was a lot more than a demo; It was enough of the game to earn a platinum trophy. Now that it hasn't turned up, its importance is being downplayed and it is relegated to demo status.

Enough of a game to earn a platinum trophy? Or they just geared the platinum trophy around whatever exists in the + version. It hasn't been relegated to demo status, it was always seen as that.

The career mode, which was the bulk of the fun for me, will be severely limited in the Plus version.

I tried to make a similar post to the op in a drive club thread about how it's not right that they are peddling dlc already and the game just got to a release-ready state and the ps+ version is no where in sight, and I got attacked.

Sony used the ps+ edition to advertise and sell ps+ subs at the 2013 e3 before the console was released. Yet here we are almost 1.5 years post release and it's nowhere.

You cant advertise things you don't deliver on. Sony does this all the time though. Instant resume, share play and gaikai/ ps now were advertised at pre release e3 as if they would be ready at or near release. Of course none of them were, and those that we have now are not very well implememted anyway.

The drive club ps+ version is more about holding sony accountable for their promises rather than just the game itself, and it's beyond me how many people here on gaf miss that point. Sony does this sort of thing too often and it's not okay.

Full disclosure: I received the game as a xmas present and enjoy it. Still think the ps+ version being vapor ware is wrong.

GobFather

Uh, if they haven't completely fixed it, why buy it?

Also, this was promised to us. Why should we have to buy it if we want to try it when they promised us a demo? Don't act as if those complaining are the problem. Sony said they were going to give this to us and even though I get the impression they've gotten the game to work they still aren't even giving a date.

At this point I think people who have plus definitely should not buy the game until they give us the demo on the principle of the matter. And I'll even go as far as to say they should give a much better discount on the game for plus members. At this point I'm sure I can buy the physical copy for less. Shouldn't plus be giving a perk that's better than not having it?
Isn't there a ps plus discount for driveclub? $20 for full game?

nib95

Banned
Lol.

But it is a shadow of the full game. Essentially, instead of buying a fantastic game, that has recently been heavily discounted, and supporting devs that have not just released a quality product, but have been continuously updating it and providing more and more free content, you are denying them a sale because Sony promised you a free bite size version.

I mean, really? Since when have we needed demo's or prologue releases to decide our purchases anyway? Honestly, PS+ is a great service that has delivered many fantastic releases, and a lack of Driveclub PS+ Edition doesn't change that. Not saying people don't have a right to be upset at the lack of it's release, but honestly some are being extremely pedantic. Ultimately what matters is that the game is great, is getting continued support, and most importantly, works for the gamers who actually bought it.

I don't know tbh. I think most buying the game have some sort of interest in racers, and as such are more forgiving to the games harsher learning curve and more pure experience. I get the feeling that the PS+ version with just lead to a bunch of vocal negativity, from not only those that were never really interested in the game anyway, but also from those who are simply not very good at the game and will find all manner of ways to blame the game for that. Not sure how many people the PS+ version will really covert, that the discounted prices already haven't. It's a tricky one.

I feel like all the negativity around release just made a lot of the less "hardcore" (not visiting message boards etc.) people ignore and over time totally forget about the game.

Don't know if those people will like the game, but it probably has a better chance if people actually play it and base their impression about the game on experience, instead of on preconceived notions from around release.

It could probably sell a few copies on graphics alone.

Enough of a game to earn a platinum trophy? Or they just geared the platinum trophy around whatever exists in the + version. It hasn't been relegated to demo status, it was always seen as that.

The career mode, which was the bulk of the fun for me, is severely limited in the Plus version.

Rubbish. You don't promote a demo as a big deal. You call it a demo, not 'PS+ Version'.

Do you see any of the other demos on PSN being publicised at E3 etc?

Relegating it to demo status is just damage limitation.

Also, you'd have to ask Rushy if he was being disingenuous saying you could earn the DC platinum in the free version, when what he actually meant was the PS+ version has it's own platinum trophy.

Top Bottom