• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver filming motorcycle pack on cell phone veers into them, beaten after crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Driver beaten after car veers into bikers:

A Prius driver who was using his cell phone to record footage of a pack of motorcyclists veered into them Sunday morning, prompting some of the bikers to beat him up on a San Mateo County freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported.

The incident unfolded just after 8 a.m. as several motorcycle clubs cruised on Harley-Davidsons and other bikes in the fast lane of northbound Highway 101 near Belmont, between Ralston Avenue and West Hillsdale Boulevard.

CHP Officer Art Montiel said the driver of the white Prius, who was identified only as a 19-year-old from San Jose, was one lane over as he video-recorded. Apparently distracted, he veered right into the third lane, overcorrected and crossed back into the fast lane, hitting a motorcycle, Montiel said.

The Prius, he said, bounced off the 4-foot dividing wall and took down a second motorcycle before coming to a stop. Witnesses then reported seeing bikers beating the Prius driver, who later told investigators that he was threatened with a knife as well.

The Prius driver and the two motorcyclists were taken by ambulances to hospitals to be treated for minor injuries. The Prius driver will be cited for distracted driving, Montiel said, and investigators are hoping witnesses can identify who took part in the alleged assault that followed.

Okay...they are going to look into the assault, really? I mean the driver wiped out some of their friends with a car. I would be a little upset too.

He got his ass beat and he isn't dead. Justice served. Glad those bikers are okay.

Really though. Distracted driving? Wtf is that? I mean he hit TWO motorcyclists, there has to be something more they can give him. I wrecked going 30ish and it hurt like a bitch, I don't even want to imagine what getting hit by a car AND then tumbling to the pavement feels like.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Other news reports are saying he ran into Hell's Angels.

Oops.

Jobiensis

It's actually surprising he is being cited at all.

I also have different feeling on what 'minor' injuries are after being hit by a car on a bicycle. You can have months of physical therapy and still be in a decent amount of pain with 'minor' injuries.

bill0527

Who the fuck films a bunch of motorcycles going down the highway while you're driving next to them?

Was the driver that bored?

Darias

Should be charged with attempted murder in my opinion. Any driver who chooses to fuck around with a cell phone while driving the car is knowingly placing the safety of others around themselves in jeopardy.

akira28

Welp. Just about what you would expect would happen.

also, to people disappointed because no video posted. where the fuck is the video going to come from, people? Guy is gonna go on youtube to post the minutes before he bought himself a shiny new asswhuppin? He probably wants to forget the whole thing happened, which would be smart.

SUPREME1

Banned
Those bikers are lucky to be alive. Motorcycles are extremely dangerous. I don't see how they are even legal.

Maybe one day they'll grow up and not put their lives at stake for no reason at all.

Zoe

Okay...they are going to look into the assault, really? I mean the driver wiped out some of their friends with a car. I would be a little upset too.

He got his ass beat and he isn't dead. Justice served. Glad those bikers are okay.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You can't just go beating people up.

And if he had tried to run, there should have been more than enough witnesses for police to nail him with a hit & run.

And if he had tried to run, there should have been more than enough witnesses for police to nail him with a hit & run.

True. That was more of my initial fellow motorcyclists emotions coming out.

EYEL1NER

I agree with you on the whole 'two wrongs don't make a right' thing. I would rather he did not get his add whooped.

That said, I don't feel too bad for the guy.
Dude was being a fucking moron and could have cost people their lives.

There are some dickhead bikers out there, that is for sure. But I think the amount of dumb fucking car drivers out there outnumber them quite a bit. My parents both ride and growing up around that, I am pretty conscious of motorcyclists on the road.
But the things I see people doing on the road around them...almost drifting into bikes, cutting them off, riding their ass, slamming on their brakes while in front of them, just completely oblivious to the bike on the road with them.... I couldn't do it in these parts. Driving a car is dangerous enough here. Forget trusting the drivers of SC to not run me and my bike off the road.

Red

Beaten after the crash? I am okay with this.

Nothing riles me up more than asshole drivers on cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom