• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHP officers slam the brakes on Bay Bridge sideshow drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

CHP officers slam the brakes on Bay Bridge sideshow drivers

920x920.jpg

Four high-speed motorists who disrupted traffic on the Bay Bridge with a display of show-off driving and “doughnuts” found their sideshow come to an unexpected end after a stalled motorist captured the display on a cell phone camera and alerted the California Highway Patrol, officials said Monday.

The incident began around 3:30 p.m. Sunday when Bay Bridge motorists observed two Ford Mustangs — one black and one white — a Chevrolet Camaro and an unidentified maroon car speeding westbound on the bridge at up to 90 mph, weaving through traffic.

Several minutes later, the speeding motorists stopped traffic on the bridge west of Yerba Buena Island and the driver of one of the Mustangs performed four “doughnuts” across all five lanes, spinning his car in circles, sending clouds of white smoke into the sky, and leaving a pattern of black skid marks on the bridge roadway.

After a stalled driver captured the exhibition on her cell phone camera and alerted the CHP, officers posted themselves at the western end of the bridge and apprehended the scofflaws.

The driver of the black Mustang, identified as Moises Rosales and described by officers as being in his early 20s and a resident of San Leandro, was arrested for reckless driving. His vehicle was impounded. Another driver, whose name was not immediately released, was cited for aiding and abetting, and released. It was not known what happened to the drivers of the other vehicles.

The suspects posted a video of their stunt on social media, which the Highway Patrol quickly incorporated into the case against them.

“It certainly makes our job a little easier,” said Officer Vu Williams, a CHP spokesman.

Video of the said "stunt" at the link above.

Does my heart proud to think that these nudniks got to the end of the bridge and the cops were there waiting for them.

darscot

Stalled driver? Seems like she was in on it and then ratted them out. This isn't a big deal to me but I'm sure the legal system will be harsh.

RS4-

Got no problems with their cars getting demolished and them not being able to drive for a few years.

Should happen to those that excessively go over the speed limit.

Dishwalla

Banned
Got no problems with their cars getting demolished and them not being able to drive for a few years.

Should happen to those that excessively go over the speed limit.

Why demolished? Why not given away? I'll take the Mustang, give it a new home.

darscot

Losing your car and license to drive for busting a doughnut? They clearly stopped traffic so the guy could do it. This is pretty minor, what's next prison time for a burn out?

Losing your car and license to drive for busting a doughnut? They clearly stopped traffic so the guy could do it. This is pretty minor, what's next prison time for a burn out?

dude really? on a empty ass highway is eh but on the bay bridge? thats just stupid

Dishwalla

Banned

They sped through traffic and proceeded to halt it on the Bay Bridge just so they could screw around, why shouldn't they get in trouble? It's the Bay Bridge, tens of thousands of cars go over it a day.

Maybe if they were doing donuts in a parking lot I'd agree with you, but they weren't.

darscot

I didn't say they shouldn't get in trouble. Lets be reasonable they stopped traffic for what a minute and a guy did 4 doughnuts. I think a fine and points would cover it.

Dishwalla

Banned
I didn't say they shouldn't get in trouble. Lets be reasonable they stopped traffic for what a minute and a guy did 4 doughnuts. I think a fine and points would cover it.

Nah, if they have enough balls to do that on the Bay Bridge a fine ain't going to phase them. Otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

v1lla21

Wouldn't have done shit. I don't know if this is the first time they do it on the bay bridge but these sideshows happen often.

darscot

Man you guys are barrel of laughs. It's a prank, you never did anything silly with a car? Losing your license can take away your ability work. They didn't drive drunk, they momentarily stopped traffic and did a doughnut.

Malvolio

Man you guys are barrel of laughs. It's a prank, you never did anything silly with a car? Losing your license can take away your ability work. They didn't drive drunk, they momentarily stopped traffic and did a doughnut.

They momentarily stopped traffic this one time on camera. How many time have they done it? How many times are they willing to do it? They did it not to enjoy doing doughnuts, they did it to purposely annoy everyone else on the road. They deserve a bit more than a slap on the wrist.

Vandiger

Go do it on a track or something, not on public roads :p

Dalek

They stopped traffic...on the Bay Bridge.

darscot

They momentarily stopped traffic this one time on camera. How many time have they done it? How many times are they willing to do it? They did it not to enjoy doing doughnuts, they did it to purposely annoy everyone else on the road. They deserve a bit more than a slap on the wrist.

Oh so you believe in punishing people for things they might have done. I don't know how the system works where this happened but usually things accumulate. You don't get slammed the first time you speed. They build up on your record and then once you get to a certain level they slam you. This should be just like that, it should not be dont pass go just lose your car and license.

E92 M3

I've done a lot of spirited driving, and that wasn't the place or time. It was some dumbass kid and he deserves to be taught a lesson that public roads aren't for his entertainment,

do it on private property, not a public road.

Hex

Banned
Oh so you believe in punishing people for things they might have done. I don't know how the system works where this happened but usually things accumulate. You don't get slammed the first time you speed. They build up on your record and then once you get to a certain level they slam you. This should be just like that, it should not be dont pass go just lose your car and license.

Do you really want this to be the hill you take a stand on?
Guy was an asshat, got smacked for it.
He will be smarter next time.

Erheller

So the first time I get caught driving with a BAC of 0.3 I shouldn't get my license taken away. I might have gotten in a crash, but I didn't, so everything's okay!

Amagon

I see your ways troll.

darscot

I'm not saying he is innocent, I am saying let the punishment fit the crime. What other traffic violations are an immediate forfeit of your car and license?

I'm not saying he is innocent, I am saying let the punishment fit the crime. What other traffic violations are an immediate forfeit of your car and license?

What is your suggestion for punishment?

Let this reckless driver keep his car on a suspended license so he can go out and do more reckless driving, potentially killing someone one day?

"a prank".

It's illegal and they should be fine/prosecuted as the law indicates. They don't own the road.

"barrel of laughs"... *sigh*
I already clarified drinking and driving is not the same thing.
Which is why the guy wasn't arrested for drunk driving. He was arrested for reckless driving, which he was doing.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

The point being missed, it's the bay bridge. The Aorta of traffic in the bay. 250,000 cars a day on average. A few minutes stop here can lead to hours of dead traffic. A problem on the bay bridge has caused me to sit in 2 hours of traffic to go 4 blocks in SF in the past.

Stupid, and selfish enough to do something of this scale for a minute of ego, I wouldn't trust you behind the wheel of a car, let alone a heavy muscle car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom