• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police Officer threatens to impound car if driver doesn't buy fundraiser tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he was obligated to impound the car, could have just written a ticket for improper registration. Looking like a developing country with this...

Monocle

Let's be honest, those wipers were total flamers. An embarrassment to their community. I don't care if you want to act like some fruitcake in the privacy of your own garage, but if you're driving around in broad daylight on my roads? Don't mince around wiping windows while being pink.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I doubt he was obligated to impound the car, could have just written a ticket for improper registration. Looking like a developing country with this...

I got pulled over in Philly last year for an expired registration (forgot about it). The cop gave me a ticket ($160) but said I could go, and then just asked me to take care of it when I got home.

After the money changes hands, the officer jokes with the driver, asking him about his "f----t ass wipers," referring to the pink-tinted windshield wipers on his car.

When the driver tells Zagursky they're in solidarity with his grandmother, a breast-cancer survivor, the officer tells him he looks like "a fruitcake."

Delightful fellow.

JDSN

Banned
I love how the Commisioner is all like "Shit man, we tried but couldnt find a second of video to use it to defend this motherfucker".

Two Words

I used to think people called other people "fruitcake" as an insult because I thought fruitcake sucked and they were saying they suck like fruitcake.

😡 not always sunny in Philadelphia.

I worked for a car rental company for a couple of years out of college. Our cars got impounded all the time, usually from unauthorized drivers cruising around in them.

Getting your car out of the philly impound is a goddamned nightmare even if you HAVE the money. That dude should have bought ten tickets, then prayed to whatever god he believes in that he didn't have to burn a day running all over the city between impound yards on top of hundreds of dollars in fines.

GhaleonEB

Zagursky, a nine-year veteran of the department, wasn't suspended as of yesterday, but that could change, depending on what Internal Affairs finds.
Oh, so he won't be, then. Because of course not.

vikki

Even though what he did was illegal and nonbinding? There was nothing stopping the cop from pulling him over immediately after and still impounding his car. It wasn't leniency, it was extortion.

It was most certainly extortion and nothing about what that officer did was okay, buuut the driver got off easy. I assume the cops will impound the car if it's not registered. The driver was lucky to get off, even though the cop wasn't doing his job and extorting money.

neshcom

Banned
It was most certainly extortion and nothing about what that officer did was okay, buuut

Pointing out that this is better than the car being impounded is indirectly endorsing the act. The driver didn't get off easy because the transaction wasn't legal and came with no legal protection. The act makes the public more susceptible to abuse for being poor and the driver could now be a target for local cops upset one of their own got caught.

But hey, he saved some money!

Christ, in LA that's just a fixit ticket.

Live Stop has been around for maybe a decade or so. Massive pain in the ass. Note that only the traffic court has the authority to release your car.

Here is what we had to do to get vehicles out when they got impounded-

1.) send a lawyer down to traffic court for a day to explain the situation and obtain the paperwork to have our vehicle released.

2.) after obtaining the necessary paperwork to get the car out, run down to an office on columbus boulevard (the southeast part of the city) to actually PAY the fine to get the car out. There was always a nasty line here.

3.) The car isn't actually kept here! It's at one of god knows how many random impound yards spread across the city. You'll have to make your way to one of those. More than once the car I needed was clear across the other side of the city.

4.) arrive at impound yard. show paperwork showing release was authorized and you paid to get the car out (god knows how many hundreds of dollars for this). Good news! you can have your car...as long as no other cars are blocking it in. What's that? a piece of shit 94 honda civic is in front of it? You'll have to wait several hours while we call a tow truck to move that car so you can get yours.

This is literally a multi-day affair, and I had lawyers and a second car to run all over the city. Can you imagine how bad this is for someone who has neither one? This dude was getting an astronomical break by this cop. Plenty of people just say "fuck it" and let the city have the car because the expense getting it out of impound exceeds the value of the car.

Christ, in LA that's just a fixit ticket.

The city/state enacted it because people driving without insurance was so rampant. Insurance rates in the city were like double outside the city because there were so many uninsured drivers getting into accidents. To fight it they basically said "if you are pulled over and are driving illegally your car is impounded." It's actually done a lot to lower insurance premiums and reduce the amounts of accidents that involve illegal/uninsured motorists. It was a damn plague before and I am all for the program.

That said? The major problem I have is that it's really easy to forget that you need to renew your registration. I am late on it almost every year. They only send you one letter in the mail notifying you that it needs to be renewed and it's well in advance. I inevitably set aside the letter and completely forget. Obviously that's on me, but what I really want is an auto-renew option. Let me simply give you a credit card and you bill it once a year and renew my registration automatically. It would have saved me a big ticket and almost getting impounded myself. Luckily the cop was nice and said "You're only a block from home so I'll let you run home and renew rather than impounding your car."

The city also needs to fix the ridiculous runaround of the impound system, as manmade points out.

Zukuu

Banned
What is "f----t" supposed to be?

As for the story, I don't think there need to be any repercussion. Just a formal warning should be enough imo. I would even tolerate it in fact "Pay up or donate your money" seems alright to me.

If we gather enough of these few bad apples, we could poison a country.

As for the story, I don't think there need to be any repercussion. Just a formal warning should be enough imo. I would even tolerate it in fact "Pay up or donate your money" seems alright to me.

faggot...

That said? The major problem I have is that it's really easy to forget that you need to renew your registration. I am late on it almost every year. They only send you one letter in the mail notifying you that it needs to be renewed and it's well in advance. I inevitably set aside the letter and completely forget. Obviously that's on me, but what I really want is an auto-renew option. Let me simply give you a credit card and you bill it once a year and renew my registration automatically. It would have saved me a big ticket and almost getting impounded myself. Luckily the cop was nice and said "You're only a block from home so I'll let you run home and renew rather than impounding your car."

Yeah, I meant it solely for the driving with expired tags. At least registration is only 36 dollars in PA. Still that's fucking ridiculous.

Ayt

Banned

So you are cool with police extorting people? How about I pull you over, and, instead of issuing you a ticket, I tell you to just pay me 50% of the cost of the ticket which I put directly in my wallet?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Why han't the cop been placed under arrest for criminal extortion?

Wow, he really makes a strong case of supporting the police. I can't imagine why those tickets aren't just flying out the door.

Siegcram

Poe's law? Please?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

You... did see the police officer extort a man, right?

Zukuu

Banned
So you are cool with police extorting people? How about I pull you over, and, instead of issuing you a ticket, I tell you to just pay me 50% of the cost of the ticket which I put directly in my wallet?
That's totally different?!

Look, if a police officer would say "you either donate your money to a beneficial thing OR pay a fee in the same amount", I don't have a problem with it. It just means you can direct where your money goes. I'd turn a blind eye to that.

Don't get me wrong, the police officer here is still a douche, tho.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amazing number of people completely missing the point. He didn't let the guy off with anything. He extorted him. Forget car registration. Put it out of your mind. It could have been jaywalking or any other petty offense you can think of. He also called him a faggot AFTER discovering the pink wipers were a testament to his mother's cancer.

Next person to post "cop did him a favor " can join the international Get Bent club for bad citizens.

Herbs

Banned
Amazing number of people completely missing the point. He didn't let the guy off with anything. He extorted him. Forget car registration. Put it out of your mind. It could have been jaywalking or any other petty offense you can think of. He also called him a faggot AFTER discovering the pink wipers were a testament to his mother's cancer.

Next person to post "cop did him a favor " can join the international Get Bent club for bad citizens.

It's okay. The better informed pick up the slack for those people. Sometimes you just have to drag them kicking and screaming into the light or they just follow along like sheep. Either way it gets done.

neshcom

Banned
That's totally different?!

Look, if a police officer would say "you either donate your money to a beneficial thing OR pay a fee in the same amount", I don't have a problem with it. It just means you can direct where your money goes. I'd turn a blind eye to that.

Don't get me wrong, the police officer here is still a douche, tho.
That money doesn't go to the city, didn't get recorded anywhere, and didn't necessarily go to the fundraiser since those could have been free tickets. Why should cops raise money for private, self-serving funds when no other part of the government lets you direct your money?

Giving the guy a break would have been saying...

"OK, I'm going to let you off with a warning today. The ticket would have cost you $___, but you won't have to pay that. Before I leave, I'd like to know if you'd like to help support your local police and firefighters by using some of the money that ticket would have cost you to buy a few tickets to this fundraiser".

Instead he basically blackmails the guy into buying the tickets.

This isn't really any better. It's still extortion, just better phrased. Like "hey, you can buy these tickets to this fundraiser from me, but it's totally your choice. It's not like if you don't I'll impound your car or anything. No strings attached, I promise!".

Slippery, slope and all that. We really don't want police officers stopping people to "offer" them to buy tickets for stuff.

cameron

The ultimatum is crappy no matter how you spin it.

Give him a desk job until everyone forgets about it. He should be kept on the force because North Philly deserves less. And it's nice how the officer is all about a charity that benefits the police, but is all "lol, f****t" regarding a colour/symbol used for breast cancer. Such a pleasant guy.

But he didn't.

I know this was going to not be a popular opinion, but it's how I honestly see it.

I once got pulled over for my registration being expired for by 1 day, ( I forgot about it) car got impounded. I would have gladly taken an option to buy 2 tickets for $30 rather then the hundreds I ended being out of.

I'm no cop defender either. I think most are assholes on a power trip, and have had many negative interactions in the past.

Of course it's a bribe, but in the grand scheme of things I would have loved to be able to choose that over getting my car impounded.

In a sane world, you would not get your car impounded for that anyway. You would get a warning or a small fine and a reminder. In America it's just a pay day for the state.

This has been getting a lot of local news play the past few days. People aren't very stoked about it. This is bad, just like that cop who gave some girl an uppercut on Puerto Rican Day because she sprayed silly string on him

I love how the Commisioner is all like "Shit man, we tried but couldnt find a second of video to use it to defend this motherfucker".

Ramsey has been pretty solid in terms of trying to get problem cops the fuck out of his department. Unions and courts aren't helping at all, though. More often than not, he goes for termination.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This isn't really any better. It's still extortion, just better phrased. Like "hey, you can buy these tickets to this fundraiser from me, but it's totally your choice. It's not like if you don't I'll impound your car or anything. No strings attached, I promise!".

Slippery, slope and all that. We really don't want police officers stopping people to "offer" them to buy tickets for stuff.

I don't think so. If he makes it clear at the start that he's only getting a warning, then I wouldn't have any issue with him asking the driver to buy a fundraiser ticket. It's no longer blackmail, because there's no consequence for saying "no".

Fundraising guy said:
"That's just not how we sell tickets," he said. "Fifty-five thousand people attend each year, and I can guarantee you that not one was extorted to buy their ticket."
Gets shown a video of someone being extorted to buy a ticket. Immediately fires back that no single person was ever extorted to buy their ticket.

What.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom