• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHP Officer Rescues Woman Passed Out In Moving Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they have a close relationship with cops? Cops usually don't let civilians get that close and often times get pissed when they're being filmed.

If they get in the way, they'll definitely be yelled at. But I'm sure they see enough stringers that they ignore them unless a) the cop is knowingly doing something they don't want filmed or b) the stringer is negatively impacting the cop's performance of their job.

In this case, the stringer seemed helpful and immediately got the cop up to speed. Given the situation, the cop didn't really have time to crowd-control the stringer if he did want him gone and he seemed to be helpful to the others once they showed up as well. No reason to ask him to leave.

Did they potentially save her life and the lives of others?

Yeah . . . she was in just about the most dangerous position to be in a highway. Sideways (so traffic couldn't see the headlights) or driving into oncoming traffic are the only situations I can think of that are more dangerous in ways that don't involve antagonistic fellow-drivers.

I'd say this was a rescue in the same way that if she drove her car into a lake and they pulled her out is a rescue. Even though she ended up in jail, she was inarguable saved from the dangerous position that she was in. She could easily be dead right now. That's a rescue.

Oreoleo

My favorite part was when the officer checked to see if the passenger side door was locked AFTER bashing the window in. It was, so it didn't matter in the end, but I couldn't help but see that and go, "Really, dude?"

I also don't understand how you pass out behind the wheel at a full stop ON THE HIGHWAY.

My favorite part was when the officer checked to see if the passenger side door was locked AFTER bashing the window in. It was, so it didn't matter in the end, but I couldn't help but see that and go, "Really, dude?"

I also don't understand how you pass out behind the wheel at a full stop ON THE HIGHWAY.

I bet it was more how conditioned he is/was to opening doors. When my dad recently had a heart attack, my mom ran to the phone in the kitchen instead of using her cell (which was on her) or the phone in the living room (which was 3 feet away). She went to the first phone they ever installed in the house because that was where her instinct told her a phone was.

His belated attempt at the handle looks dumb in retrospect, but I would not be surprised if it went "I broke the window, now i can open the door via the handle . . . oh duh."

Oreoleo

I bet it was more how conditioned he is/was to opening doors. When my dad recently had a heart attack, my mom ran to the phone in the kitchen instead of using her cell (which was on her) or the phone in the living room (which was 3 feet away). She went to the first phone they ever installed in the house because that was where her instinct told her a phone was.

His belated attempt at the handle looks dumb in retrospect, but I would not be surprised if it went "I broke the window, now i can open the door via the handle . . . oh duh."
No doubt. The cop handled it well. The car starting to roll away was probably an "oh shit" moment that caused him to spring into action and react on instinct. But being a dude on the internet I'm inclined to pick out the most arbitrary point in the video :p
Sorry about your dad btw, hope all is well.

All arrests and incarceration is on the idea that the person is a danger to others.

This is so 100% not true.

HTupolev

All arrests and incarceration is on the idea that the person is a danger to others.
Not particularly true. I also don't see how it's relevant...

I don't see it as a rescue, though.
Why not?

Someone removed someone else from an activity where they could easily have gotten hurt. Unless you disagree with this for some reason that needs explaining, or use a different definition of rescue than everyone else, it seems like it can be described as a rescue.

numble

Not even close. People get locked up for harmless drug use and being poor/unable to pay fines ALL THE TIME.

The theory behind those incarceration is still a danger to society.

Not particularly true. I also don't see how it's relevant...

Why not?

Someone removed someone else from an activity where they could easily have gotten hurt. Unless you disagree with this for some reason that needs explaining, or use a different definition of rescue than everyone else, it seems like it can be described as a rescue.

If I stop you from jaywalking, swimming in the ocean, smoking a cigarette, I removed you from an activity where you could easily have gotten hurt. I rescued you?

No doubt. The cop handled it well. The car starting to roll away was probably an "oh shit" moment that caused him to spring into action and react on instinct. But being a dude on the internet I'm inclined to pick out the most arbitrary point in the video :p
Sorry about your dad btw, hope all is well.

This is so 100% not true.

Haha, it's all good. I'm just tired and having trouble seeing through silly arbitrary and real arbitrary tonight :)

Thanks! He's doing well (I probably should have mentioned it in my post . . . ah well)

The theory behind those incarceration is still a danger to society.

If I stop you from jaywalking, swimming in the ocean, smoking a cigarette, I removed you from an activity where you could easily have gotten hurt. I rescued you?

I'm not sure being passed out in the middle of a highway can be considered an "activity."

Oreoleo

Well please provide statistics on the grounds prison sentences are handed out. I include a danger to society as a danger to others.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/poverty-mental-illness-putting-people-behind-bars/
The Vera Institute of Justice showed that, in the past two decades, despite a drop in the crime rate, the number of people going to jail has increased dramatically.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/10/incarceration.aspx
2014-10-incarceration-chart1_tcm7-176263.jpg

Mental illness among today's inmates is also pervasive, with 64 percent of jail inmates, 54 percent of state prisoners and 45 percent of federal prisoners reporting mental health concerns, the report found. Substance abuse is also rampant and often co-occurring.
"Part of what's really swelled our jail and prison population, especially our jail population, is our inability to deal with the mental health crisis that we're facing in this country," says Tangney. "We have an enormous number of people who are suffering from very treatable illnesses who are not getting treatment and who end up getting caught in the criminal justice system as opposed to the mental health system."

HTupolev was the one that originally used the term, take it up with HTupolev.

Maybe, but you're changing the focus from events like this to other things. He just followed you along the way. Where you're leading the discussion doesn't really fit the description of this rescue. She was in danger and endangering others. They removed her from that situation, which is a textbook rescue. She was (allegedly) breaking the law, so she was arrested. That doesn't negate the fact that she was rescued.

What is your hang up?

It's like you are trying to be argumentative for no reason at all.

Police officers remove a driver who is passed out in the middle of the highway. They didn't rescue her or anyone else, really?

Honestly, WTF?

HTupolev

I mean, I agree that degree of danger is a factor in usage of the word "rescue."

The lady was stopped on a semi-busy highway, and was conked out such that she just sort of drifted about when she came to.

Doesn't that strike you as an incredibly large immediate danger?

numble

That is just showing increasing imprisonment rates. The theory remains the same, even if flawed.

Maybe, but you're changing the focus from events like this to other things. He just followed you along the way. Where you're leading the discussion doesn't really fit the description of this rescue. She was in danger and endangering others. They removed her from that situation. She was (allegedly) breaking the law, so she was arrested. That doesn't negated the fact that she was rescued.

Analogies are about similar situations. Those other situations also involve potentially endangering oneself and others and being removed from the situation. I still don't consider it a rescue.

numble

What is your hang up?

It's like you are trying to be argumentative for no reason at all.

Police officers remove a driver who is passed out in the middle of the highway. They didn't rescue her or anyone else, really?

Honestly, WTF?

I already said I didn't see it as a rescue. Didn't you later agree and apologize? I'm sorry I'm confused about why you're reversing your stance again.

You're going to bring the issue of degree of danger to this?

The lady was stopped on a semi-busy highway, and was conked out such that she just sort of drifted about when she came to.

Doesn't that strike you as an incredibly large immediate danger?

I was simply explaining why I don't agree with your definition of rescue. Do you disagree that your definition (removing someone from a potentially dangerous activity) would include a lot of actions that many normally would not consider a rescue?

That is just showing increasing imprisonment rates. The theory remains the same, even if flawed.

Analogies are about similar situations. Those other situations also involve potentially endangering oneself and others and being removed from the situation. I still don't consider it a rescue.

Analogies work if the situations are comparable. The ones you're listing are not unless you're being very reductive about your analysis, which you are.

Oreoleo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Violent_and_nonviolent_crime
7.9% of sentenced prisoners in federal prisons on September 30, 2009 were in for violent crimes.[28] 52.4% of sentenced prisoners in state prisons at year end 2008 were in for violent crimes.[28] 21.6% of convicted inmates in jails in 2002 (latest available data by type of offense) were in for violent crimes.

Far, FAR less than your proposed 99.9%.

But I'm sure you'll just use the nebulous claim that they were still "a danger to society" to justify this.

HTupolev

I was simply explaining why I don't agree with your definition of rescue. Do you disagree that your definition (removing someone from a potentially dangerous activity) would include a lot of actions that many normally would not consider a rescue?
If we're not taking the context of my description into account (i.e. applying the same "degree of danger" consideration to it that you're obviously applying to the word "rescue"), yes. But that seems extremely pedantic.

numble

Analogies work if the situations are comparable. The ones you're listing are not unless you're being very reductive about your analysis, which you are.
I only reduced it to the terms of his reasoning, which you already had you took issue with (his use of the term "activity"). His definition was already very reductive and I just followed the reasoning he laid out. Maybe you have an issue with HTupolev's argument, so you should take it up with him.

I only reduced it to the terms of his reasoning, which you already had you took issue with (his use of the term "activity"). His definition was already very reductive and I just followed the reasoning he laid out. Maybe you have an issue with HTupolev's argument, so you should take it up with him.

While his terms may not be strong, his point is still obvious and one I don't disagree with.

Just curious, EMS pulls up. They drag her out, she is then arrested. Is it a rescue now?

Or is this a if you are arrested it cannot be a rescue thing?

numble

While his terms may not be strong, his point is still obvious and one I don't disagree with.

So I don't understand why you take issue with my arguments that are simply an extension of his definition.

If we're not taking the context of my description into account (i.e. applying the same "degree of danger" consideration to it that you're obviously applying to the word "rescue"), yes. But that seems extremely pedantic.

I'm not applying a "degree of danger" consideration to the word "rescue."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Violent_and_nonviolent_crime

Far, FAR less than your proposed 99.9%.

But I'm sure you'll just use the nebulous claim that they were still "a danger to society" to justify this.
You shouldn't be using violent vs non-violent statistics here. A DUI is also a non-violent crime. So you're saying an arrest for a non-violent crime is not an arrest for somebody putting herself and others in danger.

Linsies

I don't even know how a story like this can cause a thread of such odd responses.

Trolling or not - saying "arrest her ass" is not in any way sexist or talking about sex organs. As a woman on Neogaf, I nearly go insane with people trying to point out non-offensive actions/topics as offensive, as if women need to be told what should have us outraged. I know Mac trolls... but in general I see this far too often.

Also, handcuffs? Yes. It's called being arrested. That woman passed out ON THE FREEWAY. She was in danger and was endangering other people. The police did rescue her and then they arrested her for breaking the law. She could have been killed or could have killed someone else. If an innocent family didn't see her car and crashed into the back of it (killing all/some of the members), we would be on here discussing how she should be locked up for life, etc. And being innocent before being proven guilty? Yes, in a court of law, that is how it works. This woman is on video, passed out with booze in her car ON THE FREEWAY. I think posters on a forum can state their opinions on her guilt and the punishment she deserves.

HTupolev

I'm not applying a "degree of danger" consideration to the word "rescue."
Then would you mind explaining in detail how you're using the word "rescue" and why this doesn't apply? Because I'm hardly the only person here who's struggling to understand how your form of the English language works.

numble

Then would you mind explaining in detail how you're using the word "rescue" and why this doesn't apply? Because I'm hardly the only person here who's struggling to understand how your form of the English language works.
It can be defined in the eyes of the person being rescued. If she is trying to get away I don't see how it is a rescue.

Oreoleo

You shouldn't be using violent vs non-violent statistics here. A DUI is also a non-violent crime. So you're saying an arrest for a non-violent crime is not an arrest for somebody putting herself and others in danger.

You're not entirely wrong and if you check the source PDF it breaks it down even further, but probably not with the granularity that either of us desire (for example it lumps drunk driving and carrying weapons without a permit into the same category as contempt of court and public indecency).

Regardless, the whole point of this was to point out how exaggerated your original claim that 99.9% of inmates are "dangerous" and I think I've done a good job of that even if we don't have a definitive percentile to hang our hats on.

So I don't understand why you take issue with my arguments that are simply an extension of his definition.

Because I'm able to separate some poorly used/defined terms from the actual argument. This was a rescue regardless of where that women ends up in the hands of the law.

numble

You're not entirely wrong and if you check the source PDF it breaks it down even further, but probably not with the granularity that either of us desire (for example it lumps drunk driving and carrying weapons without a permit into the same category as contempt of court and public indecency).

Regardless, the whole point of this was to point out how exaggerated your original claim that 99.9% of inmates are "dangerous" and I think I've done a good job of that even if we don't have a definitive percentile to hang our hats on.
I don't see how it is exaggerated? I think it would have enough granularity, because I am not focused on the crime committed, but the theories of incarceration, whether it is rehabilitation, punishment or protecting society, it is focused on putting people in jail for an act that society finds to be a danger (which is why they codified it as a crime).

HTupolev

It can be defined in the eyes of the person being rescued. If she is trying to get away I don't see how it is a rescue.
So you're restricting "rescue" to situations where the person being brought to safety perceives the action as something they wanted? I guess that's fair, although it's certainly not exhaustive of general usage.

(Really, even if we go by that definition, it's not obvious to me that your premises work out. Where in the video is she trying to get away? The car's motion was very slight, the sort of thing that happens when you slip off the brake pedal, not when you drift on the gas. And she generally seemed more confused than uncooperative. Struck me as a case of "tired drunk", not "belligerent drunk.")

numble

Because I'm able to separate some poorly used/defined terms from the actual argument. This was a rescue regardless of where that women ends up in the hands of the law.

Where did I talk about where the women ends up in the hands of the law?

Sure it can, but that is a damned silly way to understand if it is a rescue or not.
I don't see how silly it is. I think the idea of a rescue should take the thoughts of the person being rescued into account.

Shall you post in the next police car chase thread about how the police are attempting to rescue the guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom