• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHP Officer Rescues Woman Passed Out In Moving Car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

The fact that you are even attempting to compare those two speaks volume.
I don't see how it does. Please elaborate. If your argument is not based on an objective standard for what rescue means, but a subjective standard based on situation and actions, then you are just agreeing with me that the idea of a "rescue" is subjective, but you simply disagree in this subjective instance.

Where did I talk about where the women ends up in the hands of the law?

I don't see how silly it is. I think the idea of a rescue should take the thoughts of the person being rescued into account.

Shall you post in the next police car chase thread about how the police are attempting to rescue the guy?

Your argument is that she was not rescued because she was arrested. Being arrested is being in the hands of the law. I don't understand your point here.

"I think the idea of a rescue should take the thoughts of the person being rescued into account" means that no one who is mentally unstable or unconscious can ever be rescued and that those who would refuse help because they want to prove they can get themselves out of the situation fall into the same situation. You're grossly over-thinking what "rescue" means.

Since we're being horribly pedantic now, this is Webster's definition of "rescue": to save (someone or something) from danger or harm.

Nowhere in that definition does it say that the person has to want to be rescued. They just have to be removed from the situation that causes danger or harm.

I don't see how it does. Please elaborate. If your argument is not based on an objective standard for what rescue means, but a subjective standard based on situation and actions, then you are just agreeing with me that the idea of a "rescue" is subjective, but you simply disagree in this subjective instance.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if you are arguing for the academic value or if you really mean this. Let's be done with it, what does it mean to rescue someone?

You're grossly over-thinking what "rescue" means.

As I said previously, it is a pedantic argument that is being deployed (subjective!)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

yeah this isnt going nowhere...you answer questions with questions without objectivity. There's no middle ground for you nor an end. Its all subjective to you. We're just gonna go in circles here trying to explain everything to you while you dismiss it

HTupolev

I don't see how it does.
Two reasons:
1-Because when someone is self-consciously dangerously belligerent, concern for their safety tends to drop off. So, "rescuing" them isn't the goal, shutting them down is.
2-The means often involves putting that person in great present danger. Hence even if they ultimately are "rescued" in some textbook sense, it was through a not-very-rescue-ish mechanism.

Hence, in this car-chase situation, if the offender gets hurt then they weren't rescued, and if they don't get hurt, "rescue" could sort of be used but it's a very weak description of the events.

//========================

Sort of like how, if a chef at a restaurant gets pissed off and hurls food at a waiter who screwed up, and it winds up flying at a customer's face? If it just sort of smacks them across the cheek or something, the customer didn't get fed. But if it instead flies into their mouth and down their throat, they did get fed in some textbook sense, but nobody will describe it as such except jokingly.

Oreoleo

I don't see how it is exaggerated? I think it would have enough granularity, because I am not focused on the crime committed, but the theories of incarceration, whether it is rehabilitation, punishment or protecting society, it is focused on putting people in jail for an act that society finds to be a danger (which is why they codified it as a crime).

It's exaggerated because you pulled it out of your ass. Show me a source that says "99.9% of inmates are a danger to society and are rightfully imprisoned" and I'll let it go. Your argument essentially seems to be "well they got arrested so they must have deserved it" which IMO is a really unhealthy point of view.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
She should be thanking the officers. She's lucky to be alive. Someone could have rear ended her at speed.

numble

Your argument is that she was not rescued because she was arrested. Being arrested is being in the hands of the law. I don't understand your point here.

"I think the idea of a rescue should take the thoughts of the person being rescued into account" means that no one who is mentally unstable or unconscious can ever be rescued and that those who would refuse help because they want to prove they can get themselves out of the situation fall into the same situation. You're grossly over-thinking what "rescue" means.

Since we're being horribly pedantic now, this is Webster's definition of "rescue": to save (someone or something) from danger or harm.

Nowhere in that definition does it say that the person has to want to be rescued. They just have to be removed from the situation that causes danger or harm.

I never made an argument that she was not rescued because she was arrested, so you're putting words into my mouth.

If the person does not think she is being rescued, I think it can factor into a view of whether someone is being rescued. People can also think they are being rescued when they aren't in any danger at all: "Jesus rescued me!"

I don't take Webster's pedantic view, otherwise, like I said, those other examples of preventing someone from jaywalking or smoking a cigarette is considered rescuing.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if you are arguing for the academic value or if you really mean this. Let's be done with it, what does it mean to rescue someone?

As I said previously, it is a pedantic argument that is being deployed (subjective!)

I think a rescue can be affected if a person believes that they are being rescued during or after the fact. People can also think they are being rescued when they aren't in any danger at all: "Jesus rescued me!"

Two reasons:
1-Because when someone is self-consciously dangerously belligerent, concern for their safety tends to drop off. So, "rescuing" them isn't the goal, shutting them down is.
2-The means often involves putting that person in great present danger. Hence even if they ultimately are "rescued" in some textbook sense, it was through a not-very-rescue-ish mechanism.

Hence, in this car-chase situation, if the offender gets hurt then they weren't rescued, and if they don't get hurt, "rescue" could sort of be used but it's a very weak description of the events.

//========================

Sort of like how, if a chef at a restaurant gets pissed off and hurls food at a waiter who screwed up, and it winds up flying at a customer's face? If it just sort of smacks them across the cheek or something, the customer didn't get fed. But if it instead flies into their mouth and down their throat, they did get fed in some textbook sense, but nobody will describe it as such except jokingly.

I really just disagree with the overall argument, since you previously said that a DUI checkpoint is rescuing people. Rescuing could sort of be used but it's a very weak description of the events.

It's exaggerated because you pulled it out of your ass. Show me a source that says "99.9% of inmates are a danger to society and are rightfully imprisoned" and I'll let it go. Your argument essentially seems to be "well they got arrested so they must have deserved it" which IMO is a really unhealthy point of view.
No, I'm saying that is the theory behind incapacitation, it is not something I pulled out of my ass:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incapacitation_(penology)

It's even codified in US federal law:
18 USC 3553:

The court shall impose a sentence sufficient, but not greater than necessary, to comply with the purposes set forth in paragraph (2) of this subsection. The court, in determining the particular sentence to be imposed, shall consider—
(1) the nature and circumstances of the offense and the history and characteristics of the defendant;
(2) the need for the sentence imposed—
(A) to reflect the seriousness of the offense, to promote respect for the law, and to provide just punishment for the offense;
(B) to afford adequate deterrence to criminal conduct;
(C) to protect the public from further crimes of the defendant; and
(D) to provide the defendant with needed educational or vocational training, medical care, or other correctional treatment in the most effective manner;

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sounds like you are saying she was rescued, how wrong you are! She wasn't rescued!!!

"Rescue comprises responsive operations that usually involve the saving of life, or prevention of injury during an incident or dangerous situation."

So yeah. You could say she was rescued.
Don't listen to other gaffers who think otherwise. They are being idiots.

rambis

Banned
People get saved and arrested all the time, I'm not even sure what there could be an argument about. Its like when there's a 5 to 1 shootout where someone is pinned down and the cops show and defuse the situation then arrest everybody involved.

Also for the sake of argument words and definitions are societal consructs, there's no objectivity possible. Since the human murmured the first word there have been subjective to the next person.

HTupolev

I really just disagree with the overall argument, since you previously said that a DUI checkpoint is rescuing people. Rescuing could sort of be used but it's a very weak description of the events.
You disagree with "the overall argument" because I made an arguably iffy statement early on? (Which, while sort of weak, is nowhere near as weak as the car chase you're comparing it to here, since protecting people who are DUI is one of the major intentions behind DUI stops.)

I think a rescue can be affected if a person believes that they are being rescued during or after the fact. People can also think they are being rescued when they aren't in any danger at all: "Jesus rescued me!"

Wonderful, but can we please have an objective definition of rescue, since that appears to be your hang up.

Numble, no offense intended, but what you are doing is embarrassing.

I haven't seen someone try to twist and turn so much over vocabulary in such a long time; such an absurd case at that, which makes it even more laughable.

"Rescue comprises responsive operations that usually involve the saving of life, or prevention of injury during an incident or dangerous situation."

So yeah. You could say she was rescued.
Don't listen to other gaffers who think otherwise. They are being idiots.

I would say that is a near perfect understanding of what it means to be rescued.

danthefan

Holy fuck at the argument over the word rescue.

I find it really odd that she managed to pass out in what seems like the middle of the road without having an accident.

numble

You disagree with "the overall argument" because I made an arguably iffy statement early on? (Which, while sort of weak, is nowhere near as weak as the car chase you're comparing it to here, since protecting people who are DUI is one of the major intentions behind DUI stops.)

Yes, because you seem to focus on requiring a rescue-ish mechanism. My example of your earlier argument is just to demonstrate that there is inconsistency because you previously allowed DUI checkpoints to be for rescuing people.

To follow any of the standards in your 2 somewhat conflicting arguments, that would mean you take issue with someone saying, "Jesus rescued me," correct? Since it doesn't really involve protecting people from danger or involve the use of a "rescue-ish mechanism".

Wonderful, but can we please have an objective definition of rescue, since that appears to be your hang up.

Numble, no offense intended, but what you are doing is embarrassing.

I haven't seen someone try to twist and turn so much over vocabulary in such a long time; such an absurd case at that, which makes it even more laughable.

I would say that is a near perfect understanding of what it means to be rescued.
I just gave you an objective definition: it relies on the person being rescued.

I don't think it is near perfect at all. People use the term rescue in many other contexts, such as religion or even non-dangerous situations but situations you don't want to be in.

I don't understand why you can't just accept that some people have different views on the idea of rescue and whether this situation qualifies.

Condom

It can be defined in the eyes of the person being rescued. If she is trying to get away I don't see how it is a rescue.
You think it's fun to argue, that's cool but this is the wrong subject for that. It's obvious that she and the rest of the traffic was in danger because of the situation.
Even if she got away, she was not in a state to drive safely.

If you don't see that then you should not be arguing but rather reading up on car accidents.

Howling as how this thread got derailed twice thanks to two assholes

Crazy situation, especially since news cameras were right there

htf_imgcache_8430.jpeg

Afrikan

when the camera first zoomed in, first thing i thought was Please don't be Habesha Please don't be Habesha Please don't be Habesha. D:

she can pass though.

I saw an episode of COPS like this. Dude was barred the fuck out in a turning lane in the middle of the day. Cop came up on him and "rescued" him.

(Is that really what happened? Three pages on that word?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom