• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver Sought After Video Captures Violent Crash That Left BMW Stuck Under Semi

Dalek

Driver Sought After Video Captures Violent Crash That Left BMW Stuck Under Semi on 10 Fwy in I.E.

xcnd14bzfa2fgnyffdk3.gif

California Highway Patrol officials are searching for the driver of an Infiniti that was caught on video triggering a violent crash that left a BMW pinned under a big rig on the 10 Freeway in the Colton area earlier this week.

The collision occurred about 3 p.m. Wednesday on the westbound 10 between the Riverside and Pepper avenues exits, according to a Facebook post from Alan Parcero, whose mother was driving the BMW at the time of the crash.

Madis Tolentino told KTLA she had left work and was driving home to Ontario when she encountered the two vehicles -- including the Infiniti -- which she believed were racing at the time.

“From my perspective, when I was seeing them both kind of trying to get to the first spot I guess, in my heart I believe that they were racing," she said.

Dashcam video captured the terrifying moment when Tolentino's BMW was cut off and side-swiped by the Infiniti, causing it to hit another sedan and veer into a nearby big rig. The car ended up trapped beneath the semi's trailer and was dragged for a short distance.

“Seeing it made me realize even more so how grateful I am to come out of something like that," she said.

The sedan the BMW had careened into stopped next to the center divider.

Meanwhile, the Infiniti driver continued on and left the scene, according to the footage. Parcero also stated in the post that the driver fled and didn't return.

Jose Rios was driving on the freeway at the time, and captured video of the crash on a dash camera that had been placed on the rear of his vehicle.

In a phone interview Friday morning, Rios told KTLA he saw the Infiniti weaving in and out of traffic and driving at a high rate of speed before the violent collision.

“This guy … has regards for nobody on the freeway," he said.

Once Rios saw what happened, he had his girlfriend dial 911 and report the crash. He also stopped and pulled over to assist the BMW driver.

“She was pretty worked up, she was screaming and crying," Rios said. “Once she got out the car, she immediately ran to the truck driver and hugged him. She was holding on to the truck driver. I ran and I asked her, ‘Is anybody else in the car? Is anybody else in the car?’ There’s smoke everywhere.”

Tolentino suffered minor injuries, including cuts and bruises, and told KTLA she's also been experiencing a fair amount of anxiety since the crash.

CHP confirmed Friday that they found the Infiniti sometime after the crash; they have not yet located the driver, although they believe they know who was behind the wheel at the time.

Video at the link

smurfx

get some go again
hope they find the guy and throw the book at him. asshole could have cost multiple deaths. if he was racing then find the other guy and lock his ass up too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that shit is straight out of a movie, what the fuck?

people are crazy man

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn that's fucked up.

How the hell was this video captured? Article says it was a dashcam but I guess someone had it mounted in the back of their vehicle. Weird.

RS4-

You don't have the compulsory side bars one trailers in the USA? Scary, could have gone straight over her.

side_guard.jpg
haven't seen this shit before, at all. Didn't even know it was a thing.
Damn that's fucked up.

How the hell was this video captured? Article says it was a dashcam but I guess someone had it mounted in the back of their vehicle. Weird.

Yeah some people have both of them. Don't really see it too often. Shit should be mandatory considering how many fucking accidents happen and all the shit about insurance, scams, etc.

sangreal

The person who recorded this only has a rear facing dash cam? That's unusual

Also California should consider adopting front license plates.

Oh I just noticed that they found the car, it's just the driver missing so I guess it doesn't matter

Laiza

Damn, that's some solid footage, alright. Hope they catch both of the drivers so they can be held responsible.

As someone who was made a car sized pinball by a semi truck once, that clip is scary af.
There's a story here. I'm curious... care to talk about what happened?

kaiju

Way too many of these crazy driving assholes in Cali.

Feels like a Mad Max movie half the time.

And I'm driving in the bay area next weekend where similar crazy people are. I'm so... Stoked...

Hopefully the douchebag is found and fucked up.

Laekon

Oh I just noticed that they found the car, it's just the driver missing so I guess it doesn't matter

It is a law, it's just almost never enforced. Having moved from the Boston area to So Cal the whole license plate system in California is just stupid. People don't have plates on their cars for years.

Cool, you can just add "evading justice" to the charges because this idiot thinks he or she can magically get away with this lol.

Glad everybody survived.

You don't have the compulsory side bars one trailers in the USA? Scary, could have gone straight over her.

side_guard.jpg
If those are anything like the bars on the back of the trucks I wouldn't expect much out of them. Watched a video about them by some government agency on crashes.

Better than nothing.

Zenner

side_guard.jpg

Trucks are required to have a bar on the rear end of the truck only, to stop cars sliding under the back and decapitating the driver when rear-ending - though I recall the trucking lobby fighting tooth and nail against that, back in the late 80s. "Burdensome government regulations", etc etc etc.

haven't seen this shit before, at all. Didn't even know it was a thing.

Yeah, compulsory in the UK/EU. Mostly to protect pedestrians and cyclists/motorcyclists so they're deflected rather than going under. But big trucks with a big gap under have solid ones to deflect cars.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really so hard to just drive chill?

For some people, the whole point in driving is to be the biggest dick possible.

You don't have the compulsory side bars on trailers in the USA? Scary, could have gone straight over her.

There's actually some push right now to make these mandatory but considering the party in power, it won't happen unless some major donor's kid gets flattened.

For some people, the whole point in driving is to be the biggest dick possible.

There's actually some push right now to make these mandatory but considering the party in power, it won't happen unless some major donor's kid gets flattened.

Don't worry, as soon as we leave the EU we'll be heading right back to 1972 to join you and we can all be crushed and decapitated together :(

You don't have the compulsory side bars on trailers in the USA? Scary, could have gone straight over her.

side_guard.jpg

Yes, we have underside bars.

Yes California required front license plates.

Nephtis

The victim's son posted the following update:

Its been a hectic morning. Thank you to everyone that has shared the post! It truly means a lot to our family. We have received hundreds of messages of support and concern.
Just a quick update for everyone... Since 1am this morning, we confirmed an exact plate number which the car came back stolen, and as well as a confirmed address of the driver. CHP Officers were able to identity the driver and all information about the driver has already been put out on alert to all stations. Unfortunately, the driver is still at large. It is only a matter of time before he is caught and brought to justice.
Once again, our family is are extremely thankful for all the support from all of you. God bless.

I guess the driver claimed the car was stolen after what he did? If it was indeed him that did it I hope they throw the book at him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Volimar

There's a story here. I'm curious... care to talk about what happened?

Nothing really. I merged into a middle lane from the right, the semi merged behind me from the left but I guess he had to speed up to fit into the gap and couldn't slow down in time so he pushed my car and sent me spinning into an Audi and eventually coming to rest against the concrete barrier. I always hated them, but damned if it didn't save me from crossing into oncoming traffic.

315 north in Columbus, Ohio. CbusGAF will know how fucked up that stretch of road used to be. Not much time to merge before you miss your exit so people drive like crazy people, even for Columbus.

Top Bottom