• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Lite has now been discontinued? ( internal memo sent to GameStop)

WEGGLES

What a strange way of ending each line=
with a =, even if it's part of the way thro=
ugh a word. I've never seen that before=

some sort off mixup with wordwrap?

Ashodin

WEGGLES said:

emails sent in gamestop is through a proprietary browser. it sometimes fucks up emails from other inputs.

LOCK

This means I will have to buy a new one, since my nephew broke mine a few months ago. (brat)

The hard part is to find one that is white.

Foffy

Banned
Well, mine still works. I love mine :3

Hope that if it ever breaks I can get a new Lite...but if not, there's always a DSi or using my 3DS as a last resort.

I bet at least one major retail outlet will have a crazy good deal on them come Black Friday. If so I may grab a spare just for the hell of it.

NewFresh

DSi is still my favorite of all the iterations. DSiXL a close second, but the lite was a solid piece of hardware and what the original should have been to begin with

WEGGLES said:

Most register/checkout computers mess hings like that up

It's an awesome little system and it's battery life is amazing for people like me who forget to charge it.

I'll definitely pick one up when the deals begin.

Jomjom

Banned
First the PSP go, now the DSlite - this is a horrible week. My two favorite handhelds have been discontinued in the same week. I will never switch to that piece of crap known as the DSi with its lack of the GBA slot.

So sad to see it go. Ordered my DS Lite through Lik-Sang after its Japanese release all those years ago. I don't play it that often, but its still working great when I do boot it up.

Wonderful wonderful system.

The DS is an amazing platform and the DS Lite was the 'bread & butter' version. Might not have all the bells and whistles of the later ones but it gets you there all the same.

XL became my preferred way to play 2D-ish games, 3D ones on the 3DS cause of the stick, but DS Lite was always a perfectly reliable way to go if you wanted awesome but also value. Great for DS and GBA games! :D

My GF still rocks her pink DS Lite with Disney Princess stickers, loves it to bits.

O.DOGG

Mine is still new. I got it in January. I hope it lasts me for a while. It's a shame about the decision, though. I love the system.

Wow, only now in NA? It must have got discontinued in the UK ages ago. Shops don't have it anymore...well, new anyway. People are selling new ones on eBay for high prices. It's the whole backlit GBA SP situation all over again.

m.i.s.

Banned
SolarPowered said:
It's an awesome little system and it's battery life is amazing for people like me who forget to charge it.

Yeah, to go from original DS to shiny lite with clear plastic with that dual screen motif on the top. Improved in every way. Aesthetics, screen, brightness, battery life, stylus.

I still prefer the shiny to matte DSi.

DS is my favorite platform ever. Traded in my DSL towards a 3DS. I hope the new platform lives up to half of what the DSL offered.

I tried to trade in my DS Lite to Amazon who sent it back because of "damage," i.e. the slight dent on one of the hinges that's probably been there since I bought it in 2008.

Kind of want a DSi XL. :p

thomaser

The Scandinavian distributor has not sold DS Lites since late last year, so it's no surprise that the same happens elsewhere. About time, too - the DSL had too many problems with the hinge. In my store, we've sent in hundreds of DSLs to be repaired, and not one single DSi.

M.I.S. said:
Yeah, to go from original DS to shiny lite with clear plastic with that dual screen motif on the top. Improved in every way. Aesthetics, screen, brightness, battery life, stylus.

I prefer shiny as well. Since white is always my preferred colour, I find the matte is much easier to get dirty.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wario64 said:
Holy crap. You gotta be an idiot to trade in games at Gamestop.

There are fewer and fewer options when it comes to trading games in, and the Blockbusters/Best Buys of the world are only better a small percentage of the time. And most people don't want to take the time to resell themselves. It's no wonder Gamestop branches are rewarded for selling USED items, and scolded if they sell too many NEW items (which doesn't net them much in the way of revenue).

Somnid

Surprised this didn't happen sooner. DSi is has been the go-to model for 2 years, the DS Lite was just hanging around at a slightly cheaper price point like the Kindle with special deals. Also I don't see DSi price dropping until the holidays.

PSPgo and NOW the DS Lite? I guess the system wars were closer after all.

In all seriousness, the DS Lite was awesome. It actually got me into portable gaming.

[Nintex]

I like how each DS was the best in 'something'

Original DS: Best Speakers (ugly as hell)
DS Lite: Great screen, GBA Slot + Best ergonomics (shitty D-Pad :( )
DSi : Best buttons(D-Pad), OS (messed up hinges)

I remember getting this thing along with New Super Mario Bros. 't was glorious.

Somnid

[Nintex] said:

I remember getting this thing along with New Super Mario Bros. 't was glorious.

Both DSi models had better screens than the Lite. Also both DSi models have better sound quality than the original because they had better DACs and didn't crackle at low volume. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the hinges, DSi has fine hinges, DSLites had been known to crack.

Xavien

DS lite how i will miss ye, first portable system since the GBC for me. Sad to see no more new DS lites are gonna be out there :(

I now pray my DS lite never breaks, cause of that wonderful GBA slot :p That and the fact that the 3DS sucks at displaying DS games.

M.I.S. said:

Yeah, it was a major hardware upgrade and it definitely played a role in the true mass market adoption of the DS family. I definitely have to get my hands on another unit when the sales hit(maybe a red one to complement my blue one).

Edit: The best thing about the Lite is definitely the GBA slot. It's going to see more gameplay than my consoles in the long run thanks to that alone.

DoubleTap

Just traded in mine to Amazon last week. With my 3DS, GBA SP+, GBA micro, and GBA player for GC, it just lost it's usefulness.

Bizzyb

Banned
I say Good. Let's move on.

DSi and 3DS offer digital downloads and VC software. The only thing DS Lite had on the other models was GBA support and now 3DS will most likely have that in a future update

Maxrpg said:
Luckily GameStop from time to time has incredibly insane deals on trading in games, and I always take advantage when it's beneficial to me than usual.

Very true. If you wait for those deals it is definitely worth it.

Surprised it took this long. I assumed once the superior DSi hardware hit shelves the DS Lite would disappear about 6 months afterward.

Fortunately, there is a way to play backups of the GBA games you own on a DSi with a flashcart. Unfortunately, the whole process is still very questionably legal surrounding the nature of backups and backup devices.

I hope that they do open a GBA virtual console on the 3DS. So many memorable games, even more so than the gameboy / color.

Ace 8095

EvilMario said:
There are fewer and fewer options when it comes to trading games in, and the Blockbusters/Best Buys of the world are only better a small percentage of the time. And most people don't want to take the time to resell themselves. It's no wonder Gamestop branches are rewarded for selling USED items, and scolded if they sell too many NEW items (which doesn't net them much in the way of revenue).
If we ignore Amazon, which is currently paying $35 for Portal 360 and $38 for MK 360. Also the credits you get from Amazon can be spent on anything they sell. Considering Portal 2 was $55 with a $20 credit you could play the game for free for the first three weeks or so. You have around 10 days before you have to ship your games after guaranteeing trade in value, so this is a valid strategy for saving cash.

coldvein

Banned
best handheld ever. i'm not interested in any of this 3D bullshit, i'm keeping my ds lite forever. i will never move on.

I'll always own one. I hate the "clicky" buttons on the GBA SP, DSi and DSiXL, so the DS Lite is the best way to play GBA and DS games to me.

mooreupp

I'm probably one of the few still using an original DS. Never felt I could justify the upgrade given I had a working DS. The lite will be well remembered though. That's sent the line shooting into outer space as far as sales go.

[Nintex] said:

Hm - is the D-Pad much better on the DSi? If so I might pick one up. That was my biggest complaint about the DS Lite as well - it slips around in its slot so much and was noisy. You'd just touch it and let go and it would make noise as it stuck to your finger and clicked back into place.

My 3DS D-Pad doesn't seem much better, but luckily we have the Circle Pad.

Top Bottom