• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Lite has now been discontinued? ( internal memo sent to GameStop)

Fong Ghoul said:
Hm - is the D-Pad much better on the DSi? If so I might pick one up. That was my biggest complaint about the DS Lite as well - it slips around in its slot so much and was noisy. You'd just touch it and let go and it would make noise as it stuck to your finger and clicked back into place.

My 3DS D-Pad doesn't seem much better, but luckily we have the Circle Pad.

DSi d-pad feels awesome, but it's impossible to push diagonals in Kingdom Hearts. The DS Lite pad could do diagonals just fine.

Bizzyb

Banned
coldvein said:
best handheld ever. i'm not interested in any of this 3D bullshit, i'm keeping my ds lite forever. i will never move on.

Sounds pretty ignorant considering 3DS offers MUCH more than 3D.
It's an entirely new system with new capabilities, features and games.

Anth0ny

Fong Ghoul said:
Hm - is the D-Pad much better on the DSi?

It's not universally accepted. I, and many others, love the DS Lite D-pad and hate the DSi D-pad, while it's vice versa for many others.

M3d10n

I fully expected this to happen either before or shortly after the 3DS release. Nintendo's only way to get rid of DS piracy is to increase the DSi-compatible userbase (DSi, DSiXL and 3DS) enough to make DSi-only games commercially viable: the DSi-only cart boot protocol is far more secure than the DS and even the DSi-enhanced one and hasn't been hacked yet.

The Lamp

Brazil said:
I could never back up my Pokémon Pinball high scores list because the game was on a cartridge, and now it's gone. On the 3DS, I'll be able to.

Also, having all your favorite titles in one place and one click away is awesome.

We've already explained all this five years ago when the Wii kaunched, didn't we?

I never buy games on the Virtual Console on the Wii either.

Lol at $10 for the ability to play an N64 game on your Wii (and not even have it tied to a universal, transferable, recoverable account).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
My mind is blown at the trade in values of week-one games.

$60->$20/25, really, Gamestop, really!?

Target said I could trade in my perfectly good DS Lite for 30$.

I said FUCK YOU to Target.

In principle more than anything, I'll keep that sucka for life now!!!!!

Balb

Must be why they stopped taking in trade-ins for GBA games earlier this month. The DS Lite is good but the DSi is easily the superior handheld in my opinion. The GBA playback on the Lite is hampered by the swapped A and B buttons. I just use my SP for GBA games. The slot is useful for Pal Park in the Pokemon games though.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Why the Lite?! If anything the DSi should go seeing how it was so quickly replaced by the XL! Then again this is how Nintendo ended the GBA era, killing BC with the Micro as the last system release (or was the SP+ launched after that?).

Boney

Banned
Lindsay said:
Why the Lite?! If anything the DSi should go seeing how it was so quickly replaced by the XL! Then again this is how Nintendo ended the GBA era, killing BC with the Micro as the last system release (or was the SP+ launched after that?).
this never happened

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Boney said:
this never happened

Updated then? DSi to XL was the shortest time between any DS revision releases. Heck word about the XL was out like halfway through DSis first year. Kinda made it seem like the most rushed to market/inferior version of the system.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Lindsay said:
Updated then? DSi to XL was the shortest time between any DS revision releases. Heck word about the XL was out like halfway through DSis first year. Kinda made it seem like the most rushed to market/inferior version of the system.
The XL isn't an updated version of the DSi, it's just a varation.

The DS Lite doesn't even have DSiWare or a camera. There was absolutely no reason to keep it around anymore.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What would be nice is if we got DSi and DSi XL price drops out of this. Price drop the DSi to the DSL price and the XL to the regular DSi price.

BooJoh

I'm guessing a lot of the people who feel DSi was inferior never actually used one. It may not have been the huge improvement that we got going from phat -> Lite, but when I actually use the system it's noticeably better.

DSi had bigger and brighter screens, DSiWare, music capabilities, camera functionality, and better hinge build.

On the more debatable points, I liked DSi's d-pad more (I couldn't get diagonals to work on Lite half the time, on my DSi they work fine) and I liked the matte finish that didn't collect fingerprints.

The only things I can honestly concede were better on DS Lite were the GBA Slot, volume slider, and battery life.

Both were great systems though, and both were leaps and bounds ahead of the original phat design. Unless you specifically want a DS Lite for GBA games (and I'm not sure why you would, with the SP+ and GBmicro in existence) then I'd highly recommend a DSi if you want a new DS system without jumping into 3DS yet.

Pimpbaa

The DS Lite was designed nice (except the hinges), but it had garbage screens. They were certainly more vibrant and brighter than the original DS, but they had nasty blurring. I dunno if that was fixed in the DSi (or even later produced DS Lites). 3DS definitely doesn't have that problem.

Ultima_5

Pimpbaa said:
The DS Lite was designed nice (except the hinges), but it had garbage screens. They were certainly more vibrant and brighter than the original DS, but they had nasty blurring. I dunno if that was fixed in the DSi (or even later produced DS Lites). 3DS definitely doesn't have that problem.
I think the 3DS does a pretty poor job at emulating ds games... Pokemon Black/White look horrible on that screen. In my opinion the XL is the way to go. Such an amazing system.

RIP - DS lite... You'll be missed.

BooJoh said:
I'm guessing a lot of the people who feel DSi was inferior never actually used one. It may not have been the huge improvement that we got going from phat -> Lite, but when I actually use the system it's noticeably better.

DSi had bigger and brighter screens, DSiWare, music capabilities, camera functionality, and better hinge build.

On the more debatable points, I liked DSi's d-pad more (I couldn't get diagonals to work on Lite half the time, on my DSi they work fine) and I liked the matte finish that didn't collect fingerprints.

The only things I can honestly concede were better on DS Lite were the GBA Slot, volume slider, and battery life.

Both were great systems though, and both were leaps and bounds ahead of the original phat design. Unless you specifically want a DS Lite for GBA games (and I'm not sure why you would, with the SP+ and GBmicro in existence) then I'd highly recommend a DSi if you want a new DS system without jumping into 3DS yet.
My brother had a DSi (which I used a lot) and I have a Lite. I prefer the Lite in nearly everyway. Design, screen, buttons, DPad, battery life, BC etc. And I care NOTHING for the DSi exclusive stuff like the awful camera, music player or DSiware. *shrug*

catmincer

Ultima_5 said:
I think the 3DS does a pretty poor job at emulating ds games... Pokemon Black/White look horrible on that screen. In my opinion the XL is the way to go. Such an amazing system.

RIP - DS lite... You'll be missed.

Urgh, yes I was comparing Pokemon Black on 3DS vs DS lite and the colours are horrible. Anyway, I am surprised this took so long I haven't seen one on the shelves here for over 6 months.

ScrubJay

Boney said:
suck and blow them!

Perfect tag, and yes this work, it does get me a few hours of game time each time I do it. I just know it's a stopgap solution and eventually the spit buildup will kill the buttons completely. Maybe I'll just look for a tri tip screwdriver and go in there and see if I can unclog them.

Neo C.

My DS Lite is broken, right after I killed Dracula (Order of Ecclesia). D-pad doesn't work properly when going left. :(

Playing DS games on 3DS isn't very enjoyable, and because the DS Lite has been discontinued, I wonder if there's a possibility to fix the D-pad.

Teknoman

Neo C. said:
My DS Lite is broken, right after I killed Dracula (Order of Ecclesia). D-pad doesn't work properly when going left. :(

Playing DS games on 3DS isn't very enjoyable, and because the DS Lite has been discontinued, I wonder if there's a possibility to fix the D-pad.

You have vanquished the night, your contract has been fulfilled and services no longer needed.

But in all seriousness, whats so unpleasant about playing DS games on the 3DS?

Neo C.

Teknoman said:
You have vanquished the night, your contract has been fulfilled and services no longer needed.

But in all seriousness, whats so unpleasant about playing DS games on the 3DS?
Yeah, I thought Dominus only takes my soul, but I never expected it to kill my D-pad as well.

The 3DS has 320x240 resolution. When I want to play the correct resolution, the screen is really small. And as long as there aren't many diagonal moves, I like the D-pad of the Lite better.

Top Bottom