• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 build quality is garbage. Why would Sony make such a cheap controller?

The DS4 that came with my console busted after about 8 months. The left rubber was peeling off, the charge wouldn't hold for longer than 2-3 hours and the R2 had to be pressed really hard for it work.

It was under warranty so I payed the shipping and sent it in.

They replaced it with a "refurbished" unit. Except they must have sent me one from the damn broken pile because what I got in return was not only dirty, but the right analogue wasn't centered and the R2 would stick.

So, I had to pay the shipping again to send it back.

Finally they sent me a working one, has some scuff marks but at least it works, for now.

Zee-Row

Banned
My launch controllers are still in good shape other than the back part of the controller with the serial numbers. I think my hand sweat made all that fade away.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I've owned every playstation console and never had to rebuy controllers even back when I could only afford the one it came with when I was a teenager. Now I buy two day 1 just like with every console I buy and both my DS4s are falling apart already. My issues im experiencing. These controllers have never been thrown or treated outside the norm.

charge life is pathetically short. I'm getting less than 4 hour play time on my controllers now. Their charge life is ridiculous. This is with the LED on dim setting.

The sticks are shredding. This isn't really a huge issue but I mean really Sony? Did you not expect people to use your controllers?

It's pretty annoying paying a hefty amount for a controller that's garbage right out of the box.

Edit: on comparison the Xbox one controller feels much more robust and quality.

Agree 100%. Sony unfortunately failed in both design and execution.

On the design side:

-The always-on LED is stupid. I had to buy vynil things to hide it. The reflection on my TV is annoying.

-Absolutely unacceptable battery. I suspect caused by the game controller speaker, which is virtually useless, and the trackpad, which is only slightly less useless.

On the execution side:

The rubber on the analog sticks is defective. It's happened on 2 of my dual shocks already. I'm angry about this because Sony won't replace the second one. And this is their fault.

Execution-wise. The X1 controller is much more reliable, feels like it'll last a decade. Functionality-wise: the trigger specific vibrations are a useful addition. Comfort is slightly less than the DS4.

The only thing I like about DS4 is the comfort. I don't know how much this comfort is responsible for all the flaws, but even if it was 100% responsible, then the trade-off wasn't worth it.

On Demand

Banned
I have a couple now, one from Oct 2014 and one from last month, and theyre both pretty sturdy.

I think the design is very good, it was producing a couple of million for launch in Chinese factories without proper QA that led to dodgy ones being released. Since manufacture has slowed, I feel the ones produced now, including the ones I own, are very good.

The newer models are better yes. They should of just used the DS3's rubber. It can't be that expensive.

aravuus

XD

Point been that the Gamepad caught tons and tons of flak for the battery life and that's with the metric ton of features it has. Whilst the DS4 has comparable battery life (somewhat higher) with much less features yet haven't had as much criticism.

Maybe Sony will release and improved controller for a modicum 149.99.

Where have you been? The DS4 has got a TON of shit for it's terrible battery life

I'm glad I seem to be one of the lucky ones who hasn't really had any problems, cause the DS4 is definitely one of my favorite controllers. Three controllers (sold two of them with my PS4), the grip on the sticks started to wear a bit on one of them, but it was mainly a cosmetic problem.

My only complaint is battery life honestly. I've had my controller since launch and haven't had any issues with it at all. I know that I may be an exception but I've only had 1 person I know own finally start having DS4 issues as of last week everyone else hasn't yet.

Although I will say that the materials do feel somewhat on the cheap. This controller is definitely YMMV. Hopefully when they release a PS4 slim they put more money into the controller materials.

MSI

Banned
I've had no problems but I am using controlfreeks on the sticks since I got use to them during the PS3 days. But I've never had any trigger issues and I've just been using the 1 controller I got with the system at launch.

Atlas157

Yes it is weird that their quality control is so awful that one set of users can have a great experience whereas many others have a completely opposite shitty experience. Except when it comes to battery life. That's a shitty experience we all get to share.

I like to think people with these problems have sandpaper thumbs and grip the controller with all their strength.

It makes me feel better.

Justinh

Or WD40 applied to a cotton swap. Afterward, just use rubbing alcohol to clean up remaining residue.
This is actually a more longterm fix than the pencil trick I've found, as I've I had to do it myself on a DS4 that I had just applied the pencil trick too a few months back...

I imagine WD40 isn't the best option, because it's petroleum based and AFAIK it's bad for plastic. The best, I imagine, would be something like lubix cube lubricant for puzzle cubes. That stuff can be expensive, though.

I haven't had any problems with my red DS4 yet, but I don't use it that often, just sometimes on PC. I've also already switched out the sticks to Xbox One replacements, because I like the way they feel more. All I can say is that I think they feel much, much better than any other Sony controller.

No this was an issue that developed over time. It's really a Destiny issue. Destiny has murdered my controllers.

I'm not a regular Destiny player but I haven't had any issues with sticks or triggers whereas my DS3 and 360 controllers both had the loose sticks issue after extended use.

It is the shittiest controller this generation. How can the Wii U Gamepad with a touch screen on it out last it in battery life is beyond me. The plastic is cheap and the analog sticks are terrible. I wish I could use my Wii U pro pad on my PS4.

I've had my DS4 for a year and can't really think of any complaints other than maybe it creaks a little? But functionally it's been just fine. The sticks haven't peeled, the triggers still work, and the battery has never gone low in a game session.

Weird, I think the DS4 feels great, and a huge improvement over the DS3, which is one of the cheapest, shittiest controllers ever.
Every time I see one of these threads my first thought is that there must be some regional differences in the product line. Like you, I feel that the DS4 is a big improvement on the DS3, which is a god awful controller both in terms of ergonomics, design and materials used.

The one complaint I have is that the battery life could be improved.

Hugstable

Banned
Besides the stick covers rubbing off mine is still pretty much perfect. It's still worlds better than the 360 controller.

I wonder how many people in here with perfect controllers use stick covers (of course the sticks won't go bad if you use that, come on now()

The newer models are better yes. They should of just used the DS3's rubber. It can't be that expensive.

I keep saying people say this, do you have any proof that this is true? Bought a White DS4 in January, R2 and sticks already bad.

Sure you aren't chewing on it between rounds champ?

yeah I'm sure people are eating their controllers, that must surely be the only reason they could ever go bad

Screw it, people want to downplay it, then we will probably never get a actual quality controller.

Omni

First thing I noticed when I got my PS4 last week was how "cheap" the controller felt in comparison to the Xbox One's.

Glad I'm not crazy >.>

Onemic

DS4 is the best controller ever to me. I dont really understand the recent backlash against it when everyone was praising it as the best controller when the PS4 first came out.

Its main problem imo is the battery life. It's absolute shit. Second would be the durability of the analog sticks. Mine are fine, but I know that if I were really rough on them like some people are the skin would just rip off.

Predwolf

Thousands of hours on a launch controller here, it's held up better than all of my DS3s. Stick deadzones are crisp and tight, pads aren't flaking, no squeaks or rattles. This is with 300+ hours of BF4, 200+ of CoD:AW, and dozens of other games.

I went through three SIXAXIS' in the first two years of my PS3 ownership, and three DS3s since they came out.

I like to think people with these problems have sandpaper thumbs and grip the controller with all their strength.

It makes me feel better.

I went through two or three 360 controllers because I used to have my thumbs angled down with my nails in contact with the rubber, it was really bad with a stressful game like Trials. I have since made a conscious effort to only have the pads of my thumbs on the sticks at all times and haven't had the problem since.

Griss

They're total shit, aren't they?

Are they fixed in the new models? I've been through two DS4s already, but am looking to buy a second PS4 and would like to know I won't get fucked with the controller again.

My launch DS4 had no issues until a few months ago when the R2 trigger started sticking. My second controller since launch has been fine.

I hear people have had worse issues but I am not sure if the amount is widespread. With 20 million PS4's out there it would be hard to find out just how much of the general base is represented by the vocal minority here on forums. Especially since people normally don't tend to scream it from the top of roofs or on forum when their devices work as expected.

Mindlog

DS4 is the best controller ever to me. I dont really understand the recent backlash against it when everyone was praising it as the best controller when the PS4 first came out.

Its main problem imo is the battery life. It's absolute shit. Second would be the durability of the analog sticks. Mine are fine, but I know that if I were really rough on them like some people are the skin would just rip off.
Third is that it continues the tradition of stacking every button possible on the front meaning you either take your thumb off the aiming stick or you claw.
Senseless in 2005. Silly in 2015.

I've criticized every mainstream controller for doing this. Very happy to see Valve and MS finally addressing the issue.

That's before my quality control criticisms.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a good controller apart the unbelievably shitty battery life. It might as well be tethered the amount of time I have it plugged it.

Paznos

My left analog stick is starting to fall apart, I kind of want to get another controller and use this with my PSTV but I'm hoping they come out with a improved battery life and build quality DS4.

I always thought the build quality was way better than the ds3. The only sucky thing is the shit battery life it has.

Just to speak i havent had any of the sticks ripping or squeeky triggers.

I think I've been lucky. My two controllers (I have two so I can keep playing while the other charges) survived my getting a platinum in Olliolli 2, so they will likely survive anything.

webster1

Neo Member
Playing a lot of final fantasy xiv on my ps4 controller, the launch controller r2 sticks, it has no spring. Square is an iffy response, the dpad is shot.the stick rubber is off. I need to play using this one plugged in.

Got a second one... Within 3 months neither of them have rubber on the sticks....

After four years the only issue with my ps3 controllers is one of them the right stick doesn't centre correctly.

My nes controllers are fine though... Only issue I've ever had with controllers aside from the ps4 was a GameCube controller not centring the left stick after 5 years lol

FStop7

Banned
I haven't had any issues with mine but I'll join in that the battery life is shit and the concept of a non-replaceable battery is shit.

Aroll

Remember when the #1 complaint about the GamePad wasn't teh screen, it was the "pathetic 4 hour battery life"?

I've owned a Wii U since launch. My latest Wii U is the Zelda edition one, bought at launch in 2013. Issues I have experienced:

- Short Battery life
- Wiggly holder for the stylus (fixed with a tiny piece of construction paper)

PS4 Controller issues I've witnessed:

- Thumb pads peeling
- Triggers sticking/breaking
- thumbstick wear and tear (getting looser)
- Poor battery life (seems great at first, but the battery deteriorates at a pretty rapid rate. My friends controller can only hold a charge for an hour now. He has to play plugged in practically all the time)

Xbox One controller issues:

One used controller has something "broken" in the right trigger, but it was busted when I bought it and I only paid $10 for it. The trigger still works, you just have to shake it every once and awhile to shift the broken piece of plastic inside or whatever so it doesn't block the button press.

All new controllers for the system (both what it came with an otherwise) have had zero issues so far. I use all 3 consoles about an equal amount of gaming hours.

Fixed the Wii U gamepad battery life with the officially licensed bigger battery. I hear some 3rd party battery life extenders do a good job too. I get almost 8 hours out of it now.

This generation, the PlayStation 4 has created the worst quality controller of the 3 main home console makers. I give them credit that it "feels nice" when first held, but it doesn't matter how it feels if it can't even hold up under normal play. Meanwhile, the GamePad has always been comfy despite the size, and has had no wear and tear (no surprise. Nintendo's build quality is almost always top of the line for console makers. Only the slider on 3DS's and the thumbstick on the N64's seemed to ever be issues for them). The Xbox One controller has been flawless outside of one that was broken before I bought it. PS4 is just all sorts of issues.

Xbox One > Wii U GamePad > PS4 DS4.

Just my opinion, and this is based both on comfort and durability.

If we throw in the Wii U pro controller, it's then Xbox One > Pro Controll > GamePad > DS4

But, I left it out since it's not bundled with the console. It would probably be a wash between Xbox One and the Pro Controller (or the pro getting a lead due to the insanely long battery life), but as a controller it lacks the proper options on the trigger. Be nice if you could switch between digital and analog for preference - but if you're only going to have one, at least have the better of the two. Not that iit's been an issue with the games they have so far.

Orayn

They're total shit, aren't they?

Are they fixed in the new models? I've been through two DS4s already, but am looking to buy a second PS4 and would like to know I won't get fucked with the controller again.

I believe they did change the rubber material on the sticks to one that was slightly rougher and less "grippy," but it sounds like people are still having issues with it wearing down.

UberTag

My launch controller was absolute garbage.
However, I replaced it a few months back with a new one from retail and it has held up fine.
Build quality was definitely a problem out of the gates but I suspect they've improved over time.

louiedog

The DS4 at my Best Buy is absolutely destroyed. It's missing several buttons but amazingly the sticks are okay, though it looks like someone tried to pry them out, possibly to replace their own messed up sticks. The Xbox One pad 6 feet away feels a little wonky from abuse, but is intact and works fine. It could just be that it was replaced at some point though.

Ishida

Banned
I have a launch PS4 unit and my controller is still fine even after heavy use. No peeling sticks, no sticking buttons.

Xbox One > Wii U GamePad > PS4 DS4.
I can't say anything about the Xbox One controller, but the Wii U Gamepad is just awful in terms of responsiveness. The large dead zones in the sticks puts way behind the DS4 in terms of quality. But then again, I haven't experienced any of the problems people are reporting with DS4, outside the short battery life.

Again I would like to raise the idea of regional differences in the product line. Wasn't there talk of some units being produced in Japan as well as China?

th4tguy

The biggest problems I've had with the controller I was able to fix myself. It's not ideal but it was fine for me.

I put a bigger battery, replaced the sticks with Xbone sticks and used a number 2 pencil to unstick the triggers. Everything has been great since then.

My two launch DS4s are still going strong - except that both of them have sticky shoulder buttons.

That said, I am pretty gentle with them and don't use them that heavily.

The Wii U Gamepad is definitely a hell of a lot worse for me.

Aroll

I can't say anything about the Xbox One controller, but the Wii U Gamepad is just awful in terms of responsiveness. The large dead zones in the sticks puts way behind the DS4 in terms of quality. But then again, I haven't experienced any of the problems people are reporting with DS4, outside the short battery life.

Again I would like to raise the idea of regional differences in the product line. Wasn't there talk of some units being produced in Japan as well as China?

None of the games on the GamePad necessarily require precision in responsiveness. There are (from what I can tell) 3 zones of usage, and it works the same in every game. DS4 may have more responsiveness, but I'd take sticks that don't break and get loose versus that.

But it's really preference. Sony's controllers are cheaply put together and don't last.

th4tguy

My two launch DS4s are still going strong - except that both of them have sticky shoulder buttons.

That said, I am pretty gentle with them and don't use them that heavily.

The Wii U Gamepad is definitely a hell of a lot worse for me.
Take a number 2 pencil and scratch a line at the part of the trigger that lines up against the bottom of the controller while unpressed. Do this then flex the trigger a few times. Repeat these steps once or twice more and youre good. I did this about a year ago and haven't had any more issues.

I take good care of my shit and never had an issue with any controllers, hell my original snes controllers are still in great shape... but both my launch ds4's are losing the rubber on the sticks.

CoG

I don't get the thumbsticks thing. Either mine are not made of the same material as everybody else's or people are digging their nails into them or something. Had my PS4 since launch and after 100s of hours they are like new.

Skyzard

Banned
Yep, still holding off until they're completely confirmed to be golden + better battery.

Not paying that much for a temporary controller.

Top Bottom