• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 build quality is garbage. Why would Sony make such a cheap controller?

danowat

Banned
My DS4 creaks worse than my knees, and the battery life is atrocious.

I'm quite a low use user, so I dread to think how much the heavy users have to recharge the damn thing.

Is there a decent, preferably Xbox-like third party controller option anywhere?

Had a launch controller with a drifting left analog stick, luckily I was able to dump it on GameStop when they were doing those big PS4 trade in deals a few months ago and got a nice new shiny one. Have 5 PS4 controllers total, that's the only one I've had issues with.

Dumping as in turning it for them to resell? If so then that was kind of scummy of you. Someone else will that broken stick now. At worst you've made someone have to go out of their way to return it.

C-Sword

My DS4 creaks worse than my knees, and the battery life is atrocious.

I'm quite a low use user, so I dread to think how much the heavy users have to recharge the damn thing.

Is there a decent, preferably Xbox-like third party controller option anywhere?

The Hori Pad FPS Plus

horipadfps-plus-ps4-controller.jpg

VariantX

Wish I could just turn off the light. Probably could gain an hour or two more on my battery life. The Wii U pad has a honking 6 inch screen in it, the hell is Sony's reason for the short battery life? Dual shock 3 seemed to last a couple of days before needing a charge while I'm constantly being reminded my dual shock 4 batteries are getting low with on screen prompts.

No problems with the stick rubber itself or the triggers in general but both of my controllers have some bizarre issues now.

My launch day controller developed some weird dead spot while pushing forward on the left stick. In FPS games it basically feels like my character is getting stuck on rocks while trying to move forward.

My second controller intermittently becomes unresponsive to the point where my inputs are delayed by a second or two. Everything will register, but it's almost like my controller itself is laggy.

Playstation "support" has refused to help me out, just telling me to rebuild my database each time.

I think the most egregious thing for me is the battery life. I have no idea why it only lasts 5-6 hours when the DS3 could get upwards of 25 or so. I mean people dumped on the Gamepad for getting 4 or so hours but that thing had to power a huge ass screen on top of the Miracast shit. No excuse for the DS4 to get the horrible battery life it gets. My dream is for a DS4 with better build quality (no sticky triggers/peeling sticks) and the insane 60-80 hour battery life of the Wii U Pro controller

Stimpack

Does no one else have an issue with their controller's sticks losing responsiveness? As in pushing it in a direction and walking when you should be running.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The battery life is inexcusable and the L1 and R1 buttons need WD40 if they get stuck. Bad points. Also, depending on batch, the stick rubber is another embarrassment.

Though I can't say the rest of it feels cheap or poorly made to me. It has become my favorite gamepad. Stick mechanisms feel great, d-pad is great, buttons are great. Most comfortable for my hands.

I dunno, IMO it needs a slight revision rather than being complete junk. There's a lot about it that's great.

My launch day DS4 is definitely garbage. The rubber's peeling off and there's a squeak to one of the triggers a few months into it's life.
My white and my red DS4s which i bought half a year ago are really solid no signs of wear yet.

Wiggy

I've had two controllers since launch and had no problems. I think the build quality is great, makes DS3 feels like a cheap plastic toys when i go back to them.

Bravocado

I love the controller, but yeah, I'm shocked at how poorly built they are. I'm on my 4th and it's already showing issues with the analogs and triggers (like all the others), which is nuts cuz I play way less than I used to and never had to replace controllers. Considering their high price in Canada, it's very upsetting.

I guess that im lucky that the only thing that ever happened to mine was the select button getting permanently stuck (a giant problem in itself) but my triggers never stuck or squeaked and my sticks never tore.

Hugstable

Banned
The material on the sticks is different from the launch ones. I've only had mine for a week but I feel like the material will hold up a lot better than my launch ones.

If you bought a new one and they are ready deteriorating then either you got another bad controller or it's something you've done because that's pretty fast to see wear and tear already.

Do you play a lot of fighting games? XRD is what finally caused the left stick on my launch day controller to tear.

I pretty much played my PS4 exclusively for a long period of time from like October to April before I went on an RPG binge, so yeah I put a decently good amount of time into that controller and my others (alot of it was Diablo 3, Last of Us Mulitplayer, some Xrd, and enough to reach NG+++ in Bloodborn) I know some may think I'm getting a bit emotional over it, but it's just been getting tiring dealing with the service (which I don't even do anymore after my last experience) and how the sticks always go bad for me to. I pretty much sold off all my controllers except for one black one and bought a XB1 controller for my PC just cause it wasn't worth dealing with anymore. I would change to XB1 sticks in my controller, but I'm worried I'm gonna break something by opening up my own controller. And the worst part is I want that fucking sexy 20th anniversary controller so bad, but my mind is telling me not to do it cause of how everything has been for me, even after everyone was saying the sticks were different.

danowat

Banned
Import only, it's up for pre-order on play-asia, it's wired though, Hori makes decent controllers, they're normally better than what you'd get from PDP and other 3rd party manufacturers.

There's also this one from Orb, but it has no release date AFAIK

http://i57.************/2hx12kx.jpg

I'll get one from play Asia, got to be better than the standard kit, I've seen better quality kit come out of Christmas crackers!

AdanVC

This is the #1 reason why I haven't bought a PS4 yet. I don't want to deal in having to buy extra controllers, also because obviously I don't have enough money to buy extra controllers! Especially considering how freaking expensive they are here in Mexico. Hope Sony fixes that by the time Uncharted 4 comes out because I REALLY want to play that game.

Hunter S.

I play close to the screen connected to a long usb cord so battery life is not an annoyance. I just wish they would make more durable thumbsticks and give the option to turn the light off. Overall, I find it to be the most comfortable controller in my man hands by Sony ever. Not much to whine about for me.

my only problem with the controller is the battery life especially when compared to the wii u pro controller amazing 80 hour battery life.

I pretty much played my PS4 exclusively for a long period of time from like October to April before I went on an RPG binge, so yeah I put a decently good amount of time into that controller and my others (alot of it was Diablo 3, Last of Us Mulitplayer, some Xrd, and enough to reach NG+++ in Bloodborn) I know some may think I'm getting a bit emotional over it, but it's just been getting tiring dealing with the service (which I don't even do anymore after my last experience) and how the sticks always go bad for me to. I pretty much sold off all my controllers except for one black one and bought a XB1 controller for my PC just cause it wasn't worth dealing with anymore. I would change to XB1 sticks in my controller, but I'm worried I'm gonna break something by opening up my own controller. And the worst part is I want that fucking sexy 20th anniversary controller so bad, but my mind is telling me not to do it cause of how everything has been for me, even after everyone was saying the sticks were different.

If you're referring to the thumbstick peeling just get thumbstick covers. Won't cost you much and will make it a non issue.

xkramz

as i said in another thread, i went through 3 DS4 in a year. R2 hinge problems every single one of them. i dont even play shooters like that or dropped my controllers.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Yeah, the battery is shit. I replaced it with one from a 3ds XL. Now it last for about 8 to 9 hours which is much better.

Hugstable

Banned
If you're referring to the thumbstick peeling just get thumbstick covers. Won't cost you much and will make it a non issue.

What are some good ones that feel decent. Never used them cause I like the feel of the ds4 sticks. The current controller I have left doesn't have the R2 problem like the others even though the sticks have already started to tear, if I can find good covers it might be nice.

It's like I want XB1 sticks so much in my controller, but even outside of worrying about messing something up while putting them in, I'd be worried if I even got official quality XB1 sticks or knockoffs (which could end up going bad)

This is the #1 reason why I haven't bought a PS4 yet. I don't want to deal in having to buy extra controllers, also because obviously I don't have enough money to buy extra controllers! Especially considering how freaking expensive they are here in Mexico. Hope Sony fixes that by the time Uncharted 4 comes out because I REALLY want to play that game.

ehh don't let the controller be the reason to turn you off the system itself if there are games you want on it and actually want it. Just don't buy any extra controllers til you feel that you think the quality on current controllers is decent. That's what I'm gonna do for now outside of my single controller. Not spending any more money on those til I see for sure that I can drop 60$ on it and not worry about its future

Ogawa-san

Unlike some of their other products (like crumbling headsets), I believe DS4 issues are from bad batches. Otherwise mine, that I've used for so long on both PS4 and PSTV and is still 100%, wouldn't even have sticks by now.

That cheap battery is inexcusable though.

I can completely understand getting fed up with having to deal with broken controllers over and over, especially when this hasn't been an issue for previous consoles.

Bloodborne certainly exacerbated the problem with my DS4 so I can relate there, and I didn't even get to N+++. I'm hoping my new controller holds up because I really want that anniversary controller too! I keep hearing about issues coming up when people change to XB1 sticks as well, and while I do dabble in electronic modding I don't feel like it's worth the risk for me either.

If my new white one deteriorates as well ill be pretty disappointed.

What are some good ones that feel decent. Never used them cause I like the feel of the ds4 sticks. The current controller I have left doesn't have the R2 problem like the others even though the sticks have already started to tear, if I can find good covers it might be nice.

It's like I want XB1 sticks so much in my controller, but even outside of worrying about messing something up while putting them in, I'd be worried if I even got official quality XB1 sticks or knockoffs (which could end up going bad)

Don't really know anything about other brands but I just got some ORB thumbstick covers. They fit really tight and imo feel better than the original grips since theres more surface area.

And bloodborne was the game that pushed the sticks on my ds4 over the edge too. Hadn't really used the ps4 that heavily before it came out.

Horp

These threads play out the exact same every time.
OP: "I've had multiple gamepads and the DS4 is clearly _worse_ than the others"
Reply: "I have no problems with mine so you're wrong"

Like.. what?! Ok maybe you handle all your gamepads with absurd care, but the point is that it's _worse_ than other gamepads, and there are hundreds of threads out there for this very reason.

Edit: and if the argument is 'bad batch' then thats almost just as bad, why are seemingly half their DS4's much worse than the rest? Sony didnt do a good job with the DS4, end of story.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've had my DS4 2 weeks now, but early impressions are that the build quality of mine is okay so far. No creaking, no dodginess. I'm only using it via USB on PC w/ Input Mapper, so I've not seen what the battery life is like. I'm definitely going to get stick caps, same as with my PS3 controllers.

However I do need to mention the abrasion on the sticks. It's something I first noticed with my first DS3 (2x SixAxis didn't seem to have it happen) and my 360 controller, and of course it's back with this DS4. And I'm aware of it having happened in the past, so I try not to be forceful with it. But it still happens. I don't know if it's because of the plastic used or an increased force being used over the years, but one of my PS3 controllers got quite bad. It was worn about half a mm, which is enough that the edge of the stick housing goes in the gap, and there's resistance clicking L3 because of it (the stick can't move down if it's locked in place by the edge).

Vitacat

Have no problem with the controller itself, but the battery life is the worst I've ever experienced.

My WiiU Pro controller lasts 80 hours on a charge. 80 freaking hours. WTF Sony?

mittelos

Does no one else have an issue with their controller's sticks losing responsiveness? As in pushing it in a direction and walking when you should be running.
I have a white one I bought at BB that does this...like the controller is lagging, really weird, about got me killed in Bloodborne the first time it happened. Something wrong with the headphone jack too, barely works. I think it still under warranty but haven't had time to bother with it.

Hunter S.

These threads play out the exact same every time.
OP: "I've had multiple gamepads and the DS4 is clearly _worse_ than the others"
Reply: "I have no problems with mine so you're wrong"

Like.. what?! Ok maybe you handle all your gamepads with absurd care, but the point is that it's _worse_ than other gamepads, and there are hundreds of threads out there for this very reason.
Meh, my response is more like some people like to complan more than others. Plus, the actual level of controller use varies per person causing for many different experiences.

Had both controllers since launch.

One of the mhas a dodgy R2 button. Both have the rubber on the sticks feeling smooth/slimey now.

Looks like i'm goingto have to buy another controller soon, bit of a let down as i've never had to replace my controller before. Even my day 1 PS1 controller still works to this day.

Aces&Eights

Not that we should need to but those grip it thingys for the analog sticks were really well. I put a pair on my controller and never had to worry about stick peeling. Pretty comfortable, too. My launch controller finally started having some issues with the left stick ( my character would walk without me touching it) so I picked up a new one about 6 months ago. Seems to work fine and I put some serious use on it.

Now that Sony has come out and launched to great success they really need to tighten up the manufacturing on their controllers.

The overall cheapness of Sony concerning the build quality of the PS4 is sad at best. These controllers are of really poor quality and are laughable, however the fact that Sony refuses to even acknowledge this is frightening it smells of a absolute (anything for the Money) attitude by Sony. Putting aside the console wars....it's very obvious Sony wanted to become soluble from the get go with this generation of console. What I find more disturbing then the controllers is the Wifi connection speed... 2.4 ghz...are you kidding me! The Nintendo DS is laughing at this one. Hello Sony it's 2013 at launch, lets get with the times and quit screwing your cliental.

Some people in this thread have cut Sony way too much slack because of how long they've been in the console market, but there is no doubt they need to make major upgrades in the next version of the PS4. If you had told me before the current-gen launched that one of the big three would screw there loyal patrons with a cheap build and little to no support I would never have guessed it would have been Sony. My how times have changed.

Chozo_Lord

I'm a hardcore PS4 player with a stupid large amount of hours on my launch PS4 and my controller is completely fine. Either I got lucky or some people are super aggressive with their controllers.

None of the games on the GamePad necessarily require precision in responsiveness. There are (from what I can tell) 3 zones of usage, and it works the same in every game. DS4 may have more responsiveness, but I'd take sticks that don't break and get loose versus that.

But it's really preference. Sony's controllers are cheaply put together and don't last.
When the sticks on the Gamepad need to travel half a centimeter before responding to input it really isnt just a question of whether a game need precision in responsiveness (and there are several games that benefit from this on the platform).

As I've already said, I haven't had any trouble with my DS4 (bought it a couple of months after launch), but can understand the sentiment of prefering something that is merely shoddy rather than broken.

Ge0force

Banned
I have no problems with the ps4 controller. I like it as much as the Xbox controller. Battery is also above 50% after 5 hours gaming. Speaker volume is disabled and no headset connected tho, maybe that makes the difference...

Circinus

Wow, is it that bad?

Anyway to answer your question, either not properly tested under various conditions or just to keep production costs down.

The sticks on my launch DS4 are peeling a little bit. My secondary DS4 which I got this past Christmas is perfectly fine. The biggest issue I have with it is the short battery life.

Top Bottom