• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Blizzard

Banned
This is good to hear. I am really curious to see if there are any significant battery life differences once the option is there to disable it.

I seem to recall pretty much every methodology used to test previously questioned, so it may not be possible to do robust testing in such a way that the internet in general will accept it, but some tests (charge controller to full, marathon game session, charge to full, marathon game session, charge controller to full, turn lightbar off, marathon game session?) would still be neat to see.

VanWinkle

I love the lightbar, but I am honestly glad to hear this. AND I will try it out; if it significantly improves battery life, I will keep it off. If it only increases it by a couple of hourse, I'll leave the lightbar on.

I'm glad they changed their mind on this.

UF_C

Banned
Always good to have more choice for gamers. I dont mind the light but i can see how others would. good for Sony.

This is great news. I know it is a small amount of energy saved, but multiplied by tens of millions of controllers it becomes a somewhat sizable amount of energy saved.

Cool. I taped mine up with electrical tape because of Thief, felt like I had a light house in my hand moving in and out of shadows.

After reading Yosp insisting in that previous interview that it wouldn't get shut off I folded and bought one of the light bar stickers from eBay and actually like the light now.

So of course this would be the outcome :/

BFIB

I use the light to find my Cheetos bag during late night gaming sessions.

But I'm glad I'll have the option.

todd360

I'm gonna need a bigger hard drive.. Retail is basically dead to me. Dark Souls 2 might be final disk based purchase.

B-but are you sure there isn't anything you would like to preorder!

B-Baka! It's not like I want to preorder a game with no release date or anything!

If this conserves battery life then that's great news. Otherwise, I'm not fussed - I'm actually quite partial to mulit-coloured fluorescent lights. They have a soothing power.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Awesome! Didn't care about the light itself, but it was draining the battery for absolutely no reason.

I hope that you can choose to dim it instead of it being a simple on off option. I want better battery life but I also want that little decal I got from eBay to still be used.

This is really good. I know it's not a huge deal, but since the lightbar doesn't really do anything for 90% of players it never really made sense to not allow it.
No more need for stickers.

Top Bottom