• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Majanew

Banned
Don't have a problem with the light, but I will dim if it improves battery, it's hilarious how big of a topic this is though.

Have you played Outlast at night with the lights off? The controller emits a bright white light like you have a flashlight in your living room. Honestly, I don't even need the dimming option now because I bought one of those Batman decals to cover it. And my smartphone USB cable is plugged in beside my couch so the controller's battery is never an issue.

Unfortunately that's the big design flaw. They decided to make the giant light the only indicator light on the controller.

I hate the way PS4 handles the controller turning off and on. That stupid black box in the upper right on the screen to tell me the controller turned off. Well no shit. If I grabbed the controller to use it, it wouldn't work so I'd know it's off. And when you turn it back on it sends you to the profile screen asking who's using the controller. I am, you dumb bastard. Such an annoyance when I'm using Netflix.

renitou

I play in a dark room. Playing Warframe is amazing during the night as I am geting shot at by plasma guns, my whole room lights up. Its just the small touches like this that immerse you into the experience. I actually think this is revolutionary.

I fear I may be in the minority...
Options for people that don't have your setup though would certainly not prevent your current enjoyment from continuing?

Deadstar

I play in a dark room. Playing Warframe is amazing during the night as I am geting shot at by plasma guns, my whole room lights up. Its just the small touches like this that immerse you into the experience. I actually think this is revolutionary.

I fear I may be in the minority...

This makes sense to me. It's not a huge problem for me but I think I have the controller in my lap pretty low so it's hard to see, even with just the ambient light. I remember seeing it in killzone because I played mostly at night in the dark. I will have to check it out again to see how it works.

Septimius

I should make a shop people can send their DS4's to, where I attach a little flip-switch for the LED. When I get a PS4, I'm gonna make that mod, because this sounds insufferable. Especially as someone that loves gaming in the dark.

Albo

ibp8Y3Q8woIIgZ.gif

StoopKid

I should make a shop people can send their DS4's to, where I attach a little flip-switch for the LED. When I get a PS4, I'm gonna make that mod, because this sounds insufferable. Especially as someone that loves gaming in the dark.

I honestly haven't even noticed it.

Theman2k

I think someone mentioned that you can turn it off with the PC drivers available for the DS4?

This is true.
Including: turning it off, diming, change colors for the led.

If someone on the internet can do it in two months on a pc over bluetooth alone, why can't sony do it for the ps4? And release an update for ds4 support on ps3?

The DS4 light is the WiiU Gamepad of the PS4. The albatross that will always hang around its neck, preventing future success and reminding everyone of its terrible past.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I never realized the DS4 had a battery life that concerned people.

Well its much worse than the DS3. And we already know that removing the light drastically improves the life on the DS4. The battery life on the DS4 isn't terrible but its not great either, and a really simple thing makes it much better.

Having the option to turn it on, off, or dimming it would be great. Hell it'd be awesome if you could customize the light yourself - that would actually make it cool.

valtiel

Banned
I don't really notice light reflecting off the TV, even when gaming at night. Unless your TV has a reflective screen which mine doesn't and it's just a small Sharp Aquos.

To the people complaing about the light bar not being turned off do you guys also hate the white line strip on the console being on?? Lol be happy it will be dimmed

andycapps

Why the fuck are they so persistent on not allowing us to turn it off completely?

Probably because it's a baseline thing that every developer will be able to utilize, providing that the user has a camera connected. But there are ways around that, where the game could detect if a camera was plugged in, send a signal to the controller to turn on the light when it needs to register or something and then turn off when not needed. I'm guessing they'll eventually work something out on that front, but I think the easier/more immediate solution is to allow the LED to be dimmed.

Cheech

Have you played Outlast at night with the lights off? The controller emits a bright white light like you have a flashlight in your living room. Honestly, I don't even need the dimming option now because I bought one of those Batman decals to cover it.

It was fucking awful in Outlast. I play with a projector, and the light coming off the controller was actually strong enough to wash the blacks out on the screen. I would pay $10 to upgrade my controllers to permanently kill that fucking light.

Jonm1010

Banned
I remember complaining about this the first week I got my console only to be jumped on by a number of posters in the launch thread.

Glad to see I wasn't actually the only person with this complaint.

The light is unbearably obnoxious.

injurai

Banned
Kieghley heard him right the first time, believe that.

He's getting his hands dirty and putting the pressure on Yosh.

hesido

I demand a Mark Cerny interview. Not about the DS light, but someone posted a photo of him and I miss him dearly.

I hate the way PS4 handles the controller turning off and on. That stupid black box in the upper right on the screen to tell me the controller turned off. Well no shit. If I grabbed the controller to use it, it wouldn't work so I'd know it's off. And when you turn it back on it sends you to the profile screen asking who's using the controller. I am, you dumb bastard. Such an annoyance when I'm using Netflix.

I don't mind the way profile switching works, but Netflix not pausing when you are on that screen is totally annoying. The more imporatnt fix though is CEC support for that app so I can pause and unpause with my TV remote like I can in other apps.

Seriously CEC support should be mandatory for all TV viewing apps on PS4. I can't understand why it isn't.

Top Bottom